2017 Solar Eclipse. Who's watching and where?

Jeff.Sloan

Ok just went through totality. Absolutely awesome. 

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We went through full toltality in Cookville, TN. It was definitely an awesome event! We were suppossed to be in WY for the eclipse, but our plans got changed unexpectedly and we had no reservations around here, so was quite amazed I actually found a spot at the Twin Lakes Catfish Farm the day before the eclipse. It's nothing special, but we have 50A, plenty of room for the HDT & trailer, and great cell service to work. 

1 hour ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

Just finished with totality and now watching the end of the eclipse. Sitting in Deer Run with a couple of other HDT'rs.

I would imagine Deer Run was full for this event? We were at Davy Crocket CG up until Sat. 

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

Neither of my auto darkening hoods would activate, but they're "solar powered".........Duh.

Fortunately, I have a supply of old hoods, which were full of dead bugs and dust.

We had about 80-90% solar coverage here with clear skies.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Awesome experience in Central Oregon. Got to see a bit of the sun's corona with the binoculars during the totality.  Temp actually dropped about 8 degrees from the start of the eclipse to about 15 minutes after the end of the totality.  Did a say "awesome"! It just didn't last long enough! 

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

Eh,

In Hutch we had 90% and honestly it was like a cloud going over, the amount of light from that sliver that didn't eclipse kept the lights on.     I had thought about going to Nebraska to view it but we had some weather the past few days, a friend in Charleston said it was awesome.     I have a friend here who went to Oregon, haven't heard from them yet.

I was really surprised how little effect the 90% was, perhaps next time I will be in a better position to view it?

Steve  

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

40 minutes ago, Steve from SoCal said:

Eh,

In Hutch we had 90% and honestly it was like a cloud going over, the amount of light from that sliver that didn't eclipse kept the lights on.     I had thought about going to Nebraska to view it but we had some weather the past few days, a friend in Charleston said it was awesome.     I have a friend here who went to Oregon, haven't heard from them yet.

I was really surprised how little effect the 90% was, perhaps next time I will be in a better position to view it?

Steve  

There's a difference of about 4 orders of magnitude between just a small fraction (couple of %) of the sun un-eclipsed, and just the light from the corona.  A partial eclipse isn't worth driving any real distance to see, IMO.

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

The closest total would have been Beatrice, Ne. I was considering that but, there were just enough pop up storms to make it a toss up.    In the end I didn't want to make an 8 hour drive in vain.

Steve

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

Our sticks&bricks is about 20 miles North of Topeka, Ks., or 50 miles South of the total.  We have had a VERY BUSY summer, and I was working the barn @ 1:06 PM CDT, and was ready for the view.  Too many clouds, so it just looked kinda' weird, like a hail storm or twister on the way.  Traffic on Hwy 75 was bumper to bumper, both going to and, coming from.     Dick T

2006 Volvo VNL 630(VED12 400HP)
10 speed autoshift,3.58 gear 236" twin screw, w/ET, Jackalopee, Blue Dot
2016 Space Craft 37'

Blu/Dot, Dexter 8K triple axel, HD Drum hydraulic brakes

Feather lite air ride
2005 Jeep Rubicon
2007 Suzuki DR 650

6 hours ago, hone eagle said:

the next one is only in 7 years and goes right over a corner of TN   ............  in  early april !!

ECR ? with a eclipse ?

It will pass right over our home here in beautiful south-east Indiana.  C'mon over and we can go out for chicken too........

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

Ralf,

You know your always welcome here. 

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

12 hours ago, hone eagle said:

Only if its as good as D Wagners.

I've not had the pleasure of sampling Donna's chicken, but rest assured, there are lots of good chicken places near us.  One place uses LOTS of pepper, very little breading, and fries in lard, in cast iron.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

Hi Everyone,

The next eclipse will come over Cleveland, Ohio in 2024. I live south of Cleveland about 50 miles down Rt.77. I hope that it will be total eclipse in Canton at that time.

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

4 hours ago, alan0043 said:

Hi Everyone,

The next eclipse will come over Cleveland, Ohio in 2024. I live south of Cleveland about 50 miles down Rt.77. I hope that it will be total eclipse in Canton at that time.

Al

you will be at the ECR   Carl is arranging the skedulal as we sleep

2005 volvo 670 freedomline singled
Newmar Torrey Pine 34rsks
woot woot

16 hours ago, hone eagle said:

you will be at the ECR   Carl is arranging the skedulal as we sleep

Hi Ralf,

God willing. I should be 74 in 2024.

Hope to see you in the spring of 2018,
Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

On 8/23/2017 at 5:25 AM, rickeieio said:

I've not had the pleasure of sampling Donna's chicken, but rest assured, there are lots of good chicken places near us.  One place uses LOTS of pepper, very little breading, and fries in lard, in cast iron.

Does this chicken affect the control of a motorsickle after supper? 

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

20 hours ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

Depends on what you wash it down with. 😎

I usually "wash it down" by detouring to an ice cream stand.  In fact, we did that last evening.  Nice night to take the lid off the car and take a ride.  That said, I did have one draft beer too.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

Archived