Off Topic - Why not to stop on the shoulder of the highway

Big5er

This is why you should always get off the freeway if at all possible.

123_1a_zps6jjowjwz.jpg

He had his lights on sitting behind an accident, completely on the shoulder. An 18 wheeler 2 lanes over hit a car and sent it spinning into the deputy's truck. The deputy's truck then hit the tow truck in front of it. And that WAS a 2 month old truck.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Was the officer in the truck?

Yeah, he has a really big head laceration and some "minor" internal bleeding whatever that means. I'm thinking if someone is bleeding internally its a HUGE issue, not something "minor". But what do I know, eh?

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Phil (3.3.3),

Thanks for sharing, that is a great example of how fast things can go from not good to horrific, in the blink of an eye. On a lighter side, you gotta give the patrol truck credit for trying to load itself onto the tow truck after being hit by another car. Just goes to show you how good Deputy vehicles are. We hope and pray the Deputy has a fast recovery.

My wife responds to commercial truck crashes to act on the behalf of various large carriers. She has gone to two bad crashes in the last month where one truck going down the freeway has struck a second truck which was fully parked on the shoulder of the freeway. In both cases, there were no traces of deceleration from the striking truck, prior to impact.

John

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

It is scary to learn how frequently accidents like this happen. I remember many years ago when DFD changed their policy to add an additional truck company on all freeway accidents. Their sole responsibility was not additional manpower but to use the truck for physically blocking lanes and become a crash barrier between the traffic and the accident. The end result was less fire and police officers injured by passing motorist. Most of the injuries to fire fighters were from being jolted from their seat as they were sitting in the blocking truck. On the other hand the work in the body shop increased quite a bit.

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL

Not to hijack your thread Phil, but we were on our final leg home from Hutch/Albuquerque and East of Crossville TN there is a 4% grade with a curve at the bottom clearly marked at 40mph for truckers. A trucker tipped at the bottom and was on his side spilling his cargo. One lane backup for 5 miles. Amazing to see the number of folks (not rescue workers) racing not just on the shoulder but also ON THE GRASS to get to the front of the line. Even had three loaded 18 wheelers on the shoulder to cut in. Can't stand those jerks. One of the civilian cars was doing at minimum 55mph. Danger to everyone. When it says MERGE TO ONE LANE, merge and slow down, don't risk yours or others lives.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

When my 2013 Smart was totaled last week, I called 911 and asked for a patrolman. It was morning rush hour and traffic bad. A very helpful patrolman came. Park his car close to next lane and turned on lights. The traffic ignored him. They were within 2 feet of us 75-80 mph. We got loaded up as quick as possible and proceeded to a station to do paperwork. It could have gotten ugly easily. I do not envy their jobs. Very thankful though.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Short of an total loss of power or catastrophic mechanical failure, both rare occurances, you can almost always limp to the next exit ramp. I don't care if you ruin the tire rim or some further damage, anything beats being clobbered like the picture big5er showed. I don't know how many times I have seen some truck driver with 1 flat on a trailer or tractor with 16 tires(excluding the steers) stop and wait for a tire service truck when he could have safely gotten to the next exit ramp, or even a parking lot off the exit. Any port in a storm.

Each situation has to be judged on its merits.

Don't even get me started about the number of times I have seen a 4 wheeler stopping to change a babies diaper or walk the dog on the shoulder.

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

Archived