Are you dreaming of a new RV?

Kirk W

This being the season of RV shows and big sales promotions, I got to thinking about just what sort of RV we would buy if price was only a minor issue. Perhaps with a budget that was not unlimited but just nice and healthy with ample income to support the new RV? RV shows are for dreaming but my thoughts are to choose something that fits our lifestyle today, rather than the dream RV of what might have been or used to be. Since age & health issues have caused us to return to part-time RV living, but we do stay out for several months at a time, much like the snowbirds but reversed, our chosen RV home can be somewhat smaller as we no longer carry all of our possessions along but who can't use extra space?

For whatever reason, the "super C" built on the heavy truck chassis has always had a lot of appeal to us and even now that we are downsized to a small travel trailer for seasonal use, we still seem to want to play with the big boys! On the other hand, we have reached a point in life where driving skills are probably not at the highest point in our lives so smaller is probably a good thing. We still actually prefer motorhomes, so looking about I think that if we were to buy a new one today, it would probably be the Winnebago Reyo, 25Q model. Now it's just a little matter of $131k or so............... :rolleyes:

So how about it? Will you share your dreams with us and perhaps just a bit of the reasoning why?

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

My goodness, yes, we've got the bug! We were talking about it just this past weekend as we visited Mississippi for my sister's wedding and had to stay in a hotel instead of the lovely state park right next door to her house!

We are dreaming of something small for just the two of us, which would be quite a difference from the monstrosity we used to own. Thinking of either a truck camper or very small 5th wheel.

HOWEVER... we are about to send our third boy off to college this fall, and with three kids in college, this is NOT the time to be buying a lovely toy for us to play with. Money is being sucked away elsewhere right now. For now, it's tents for this family.

But someday...

Stephen & Karen and our six boys, ages 21, 21, 19, 17, 14, & 11
Stephen - Military retiree (as of summer 2012) & current DOI employee (Big Bend National Park)
Karen - Homeschooling stay-at-home mom & veteran
San Antonio, Texas

Fulltimed May 2013 - July 2014 (yes, all eight of us!)
Open Range "Rolling Thunder" (H396RGR - fifth wheel toy hauler bunkhouse) - SOLD
Ford F-350 diesel dually - for the camper
Ford E-350 fifteen passenger van - for the crew

Our unfinished travel blog: http://coach-and-six.blogspot.com/

Nope. We like the 2014 F350, MUCH better than the 2007 F350. We have our 2007 HitchHiker set up the way we want and really like it. We will add a washer/dryer in May to make it even better. Both are keepers. Greg

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

Both sold 2/19, settled in Foley, AL after 12 years on the road

http://bahnmilleradventure.blogspot.com/

Yes, I dream. I like the one Kirk picked but I also like the Sprinters being build by Advanced RV. ( are really into good quality sound systems so their insulation is better than most Class B vans. Plus they have larger tanks than most Class B vans do and I like not having to dump and fill so often.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

I would buy 2. I like my Class B but would buy a newer one without the need for propane. I like it because I can stop and never get out if I choose to late at night somewhere and park easily in a National Park that have older campgrounds where 20 is a good length.

But then for times when I am not driving around, I would have something else a little bit bigger (not sure what) or have a nice "storage" building at an RV park where I own a lot that has a nice little deck and small living space like a tiny home for lounging around during the day. Then have a car too.

I am always looking for my next RV. I just wish my DW was as ambitious about getting a new rig as I am :P . If it were up to me, I'd pull the trigger now. Our dream set up is a New Horizons Majestic, about 42' in length. I've still got a few years until retirement though, so I have time to save. We have toured a lot of different RV's. DW and I love window shopping and checking out the latest and greatest floor plans and models. It helps us figure out what we really like and also what we don't like. We are very happy with the floor plan of our current 5th wheel, so our dream set up will be similar with some tweaks based on experience and desires. New Horizons is at the top of my list because of the quality they put into their units. They are by far the nicest and best built 5er we have ever been in (I will admit I have not seen a Forks up close and personal though). I am not worried about the weight of a custom built 5er because I already tow with an HDT. In fact the reason I purchased the HDT I currently have was in preparation for my retirement dream rig. Now it is just a waiting game to get to retirement. We will keep looking and refining our wish list until we are finally ready to pull the trigger.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Well, we've just ordered our dream RV after looking at what felt like a million RVs. We ordered a New Horizons Majestic, 38' in length. Hopefully we'll get it sometime in July.

And what is really sweet, we met a couple last summer while out camping who asked about our current little hybrid and fell in love with it. We were very clear about how long it would be before we were ready to sell. They gave us their number and told us to call when we were ready. DH called them a couple days ago. Not only are they still very interested, but they want the truck as well. So two families may just get their dream RVs in one fell swoop!

I would buy 2. I like my Class B but would buy a newer one without the need for propane. I like it because I can stop and never get out if I choose to late at night somewhere and park easily in a National Park that have older campgrounds where 20 is a good length.

But then for times when I am not driving around, I would have something else a little bit bigger (not sure what) or have a nice "storage" building at an RV park where I own a lot that has a nice little deck and small living space like a tiny home for lounging around during the day. Then have a car too.

i would love a class b with good storage iv'e had people ask me why i use my bathroom as a closet :o:blink: . and a bigger bathroom would be nice also and not bumping your butt into everything each time you turn around :rolleyes: . i'm in an E TREK and that's the only class b that i know of that don't use any propane. it's all electric and diesel

We're quite happy with our 11 year old Hitchhiker. Presently doing a little redecorating, new carpet, vinyl plank, window coverings and reupholstering the dinette chairs.

We did go to the Tampa show to view the new 5th wheels we consider worth fulltiming in but the weight of those we like would also require a new tow vehicle and more than I'd want to spend.

John

2017 F350 King Ranch DRW 6.7 4.10 B&W hitch

2017 DRV MS 36RSSB3

I have very limited dreams. Our 24' pull trailer is a little small after downsizing from fulltiming in a fiver. So I just want a 26' pull trailer that has a rear living room with two chairs. We are finally in the process of closing on our house in OR that will give us a few $$ to find just such a trailer. I'm in the minority, I know, but I find a pull trailer much easier to manipulate than a fiver. And no way can I dream about motorhomes...just not in the budget.

2007 Arctic Fox 32.5 rls for full-timing, now sold.

2014 Sunnybrook Sunset Creek 267rl for the local campgrounds now that we are off the road
2007 Silverado 2500 diesel

Loving Green Valley, AZ (just South of Tucson)

We seem to be losing it. Every year we talk about a new coach. We'll go to the Tampa Super Show, and every year we both come away with the same question.....why? We've upgraded our 2000 Dutch Star through the years to make it much more livable, to the point of not being able to justify the expense. Plus the most important part, it's ours free and clear.

Fulltiming since 2010

2000 Dutch Star

2009 Saturn Vue

Myrtle Beach, SC

For whatever reason, the "super C" built on the heavy truck chassis has always had a lot of appeal to us and even now that we are downsized to a small travel trailer for seasonal use, we still seem to want to play with the big boys!

So how about it? Will you share your dreams with us and perhaps just a bit of the reasoning why?

Kirk, we've owned our Super C for 9 years and lived in it for nearly 5. We liked it because it doesn't have a big front window letting in the heat and cold. It came with a 10k lb. hitch which we used pulling a 24' enclosed trailer carrying a 3k lb. race car. It handles the Jeep Wrangler just fine. It drives lke a truck not a bus. It's not cookie cutter, we are usually the only one where ever we park.

I don't know how we've survived being full time travelers without being a diesel or have a washer/ dryer on board or an inverter ( we do boondock in the desert up to 2 weeks at a time).

If you are going to dream it might as well be large. http://renegaderv.com/products/motorcoaches/ikon-motorcoach/specifications

Jeff :)

Tina and Jeff

Class of 2011

"RV there yet?"

2005 Gulfstream Endura

and a 1987 Jeep Wrangler

http://rvtravelswith...a.blogspot.com/

We never say never, but for now 'never today':)! We pulled up our retirement coach by about three years, during the deep drop in coaches during the last economic dip. We used the same planned budget, and feel we got quite a bit more coach then we had planned on. We've continued making changes to the interior, solar systems/battery bank/inverter/charger, entertainment related components, and safety related items too. We've always been using a 10-15 years of life usage for the coach, when calculating what mods to make, or not... We like our coach quite a bit.

OK, that being said. Yes, I do look at used 40' two slides Prevost XL based conversions. This is for two reasons: 1) I would like more power then I have in our coach. 2) Added safety of the Prevost based chassis and build. If we did this, we'd keep our current coach 'within the family' as my BIL would take our coach, and we'd finance it for them.

And though who knows what the 10-15 years out future will hold, my DW and i also look at smaller based Class A's, and other smaller foot print rigs, to have for when we are not traveling as far. We believe we'd like to still go off on short trips, local mid week getaways. That being said, a Plan B, is to go in with our other family members, and establish one or two locations with either cabins, or other living quarters of some kind.

I figure around 2030 - we'll know which way we go on this:)! And the great thing is, we're just fine if we end up using our existing rig 'as is' for the future too...

Of course, if Derik can get Musk to build a Tesla based RV - who knows:)!

Best to all,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

i would love a class b with good storage iv'e had people ask me why i use my bathroom as a closet :o:blink: . and a bigger bathroom would be nice also and not bumping your butt into everything each time you turn around :rolleyes: . i'm in an E TREK and that's the only class b that i know of that don't use any propane. it's all electric and diesel

My last van was a conversion done by Sportsmobile. It had no propane. Like you said, "all electric and diesel." Since Sportsmobiles are all custom designed you could have more closet if that's the choice you made. I had two closets that were each 2-feet wide; I put a rod in one and shelves in the other.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

We went to the Houston RV show last weekend, and there really wasn't much that we liked. We've talked about getting something different, but so far we haven't seen anything that really appeals to us. We did our homework before we bought this coach, and when we saw it we knew it was the right one for us.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

We are at the phase in life where we are starting to have physical limitations. Last year we sold our Heartland(by far the best 5th/floorplan we have ever had) and our MDT and bought a MH. We had been in the anit-MH crowd all these years, mainly couldn't see an engine sitting idle 6-8 months of the year. We started a paper search for floor plans, after 40 years of rving we knew what we wanted. Found floor plans we liked, went to an RV show, looked at various mfgs. with that floor plan. Settled on Winnebago and we had a dealer an hour away who had the model we wanted. Drove over, liked it but didn't want a couple of things so decided we needed to special order. Dealer asked if we would buy the one on the lot if they made the mods we wanted. We said sure(removed washer/dryer, removed oven, added storage as replacement). Agreed on a price(a very good price) and 2 months later we had a MH. Started purchasing all the fluff stuff we considered necessary and added them the to MH. Mostly ready to go for our winter travels. Had 3 stops for add-ons we weren't able/willing to do on our way to winter camp.

After 6 months in the MH we are pleased with our choice, quality is fine, livability is fine. We both drive it comfortably. We are surprised how easily we transitioned over to the MH. Except for our wanting to buy it its own GPS and possibly a better microwave we have no more mods.

This is our 6th Rv over the course of 30 years four TT's and two 5th wheels .That does not include tents and popup's and we have had enough. Amenities have increased but quality has constantly gone down.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

We purchased our 1st fifth wheel in Dec. Have only made it out once, but love it so far. We have owned a motorhome, popups, and several travel trailers. New trailer is a Grand Design Reflection 317 RST. Have to get used to the height going into fuel stops and under tree limbs.

Ron
2020 Ram Longhorn 6.7 4D SB
1989 Avion 34V

I've had my one and only motorhome for about 13 year's now. It being a Vogue, I seem attracted to the coaches that are put together well and are solid. I don't dream of a NEW rig, but I have over the past several year''s looked at several BlueBird's....that is my dream rig. ( I will add, I did just see a Truck Conversion in Lake Havasu, a 45 footer, 2015 ShowHauler{11,000 miles} with 5 slides....I called about it and they only wanted 360,000. for it. ) :-) :)

96' Vogue PrimaVista, CAT 3176b, 10.2 litre, Allison HD-4060

Mollie, Rubie, Cassie and Maggie.......all rescued King Charles Spaniel's

We started with 2 different tents, then moved through two levels of popup. Next we moved up to a luxurious (we thought) fully self-contained Mallard travel trailer of some 25'! Next came our first motorhome which we bought 3 years old and kept for 8 years and then we moved up to our fulltime, dream home, a gas motorhome of 36' and we kept that for 14 years. We are now back to owing a fixed home-base again and have downsized to a travel trailer again, this time of only 20' in length. Difficult to say if there will ever be another but there is always a chance that we might go back up just a little bit in size. I do know that if we had realized that we would be able to stay out on the road as long as some of our trips with this RV have been, we probably would have purchased a little bit bigger one.

Even so, I don't believe that there has ever been a time that we couldn't find an RV that we admired and thought "now that's what I'd buy if I were to win the lottery!" I guess that is what I was thinking in starting this thread as I highly doubt that I'll ever seriously consider a super C today, but I still like to admire them. I'm just too practicle of nature to spend that much, even if I did have it. ;)

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

We anticipate the day when we will want a large comfy class A travel vehicle.

Taking the advice posted here on Escapees, we've done some looking to find what really appeals to us.

We have not yet found that "dream" camper.

At a campground, we saw a Newmar 27 Bay Star with a large towd. The size and ability to tow appealed to us.

It's a "contender" at this point.

Lance-white-sands-500.jpg

~Rich

Archived