What are they called?

Dejae

We are going full time next year but we would like to also buy a place that we can once or twice a year stop and I guess you could say regroup.

They are places where you can have your RV usually with full hookup but on your property is a kind of small home or Casida type home.

Usually like a livingroom/kitchen combo, with one bedroom, bath and maybe laundry.

I don't know what they call them or how you search for them.

My other question is...being there is a home in place on it and I won't own any other home but the motorhome....would my husbands VA benefits allow us to us them to purchase this casida or small home?

Thanks for all your help

Blessed Travels,
Judi, John, Peanut and DeJae' (Our baby girl DeJae passed 7/21/2019)

There doesn't seem to be a single category that describes the setup you describe. I've seen them referred to as RV Port Homes and RV Casita Homes, among other things. Those two terms would be a place to start. We own a similar set-up in the Texas Hill Country that is in a place simply referred to as an RV Resort, but that term covers a lot of different things.

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

There doesn't seem to be a single category that describes the setup you describe. I've seen them referred to as RV Port Homes and RV Casita Homes, among other things. Those two terms would be a place to start. We own a similar set-up in the Texas Hill Country that is in a place simply referred to as an RV Resort, but that term covers a lot of different things.

That is true...I tried RV resort and it was broad....I could be here forever trying to screen through all that. I will try the other. Thanks for the recommendation! much appreciated

Blessed Travels,

I thing you need to search by the area via real estate listings. That is particularly true for deeded properties but you could probably also find some listings with real estate agents for improvements only properties as well. It is pretty common for park models to be sold by them but frequently the RV park communities have a developer/management company involved that handles such sales. Another good place to find such properties is on the RV Sites/Lots/Memberships for Sale forum. I would also suggest that you can probably find some good leads doing a search on Google, or some other favorite search engine.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

In Retama Village, Mission, TX, we have RV Super lots large lot plus Coach house), Port Homes, (1000 sq/ft+ houses with covered RV port), Casitas (1000 sq/ft+ house with large RV lot, and regular house. This is a 55+community.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

As to using your VA benefits ....The property will need to meet certain minimum requirements. The first for a VA loan is that it will need to be your primary residence for at a minimum 2 years. ( might be longer now,) So make certain that you are ready to deal with it being your domicile with all the tax implications. That also means you cannot rent it out for that same time frame. The " casita" will need certain structural requirements as well. A conversation with a mortgage lender who is VERY WELL versed in VA loans would be in order before stepping off that cliff

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust our sail"

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

VA guaranteed mortgages usually have a minimum living space requirement of 600 sq ft or more depending on the issuing bank. One exception is a 400 sq ft minimum for manufactured housing.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

I thing you need to search by the area via real estate listings. That is particularly true for deeded properties but you could probably also find some listings with real estate agents for improvements only properties as well. It is pretty common for park models to be sold by them but frequently the RV park communities have a developer/management company involved that handles such sales. Another good place to find such properties is on the RV Sites/Lots/Memberships for Sale forum. I would also suggest that you can probably find some good leads doing a search on Google, or some other favorite search engine.

Thank you Kirk for those links and we will do some searching around for sure

Blessed Travels,

In Retama Village, Mission, TX, we have RV Super lots large lot plus Coach house), Port Homes, (1000 sq/ft+ houses with covered RV port), Casitas (1000 sq/ft+ house with large RV lot, and regular house. This is a 55+community.

Was just looking online at Retama! Thanks

Blessed Travels,

As to using your VA benefits ....The property will need to meet certain minimum requirements. The first for a VA loan is that it will need to be your primary residence for at a minimum 2 years. ( might be longer now,) So make certain that you are ready to deal with it being your domicile with all the tax implications. That also means you cannot rent it out for that same time frame. The " casita" will need certain structural requirements as well. A conversation with a mortgage lender who is VERY WELL versed in VA loans would be in order before stepping off that cliff

I don't know where you got that info from but it is wrong. You do not have to have it as your primary residence for 2 years. I just sold my house 3 years ago. Bought another...lived in it 9 months, sold it and bought another just a year ago and it is for sale as we speak. All 3 houses were financed VA, never were we told we had to own it for 2 years or more and on rental. We have checked incase it does not sell (then of course the RV port would have to wait too) but I can rent the house out as long as I only own one house. I can live in a rental, RV, hotel, car, cardboard box and rent out my house that I VA purchased. I just can't OWN another house.If I own 2 or more houses, I Have to primarily reside in the one that was purchased with VA. So, I can buy a house with my VA as my primary and have 3 summer homes in diff states and stay in them all I want and rent them out all I want as long as I don't rent the VA house out.

I just went through this 2 weeks ago with my mortgage company and with the VA housing admin.

Blessed Travels,

Before buying something I'd highly recommend that you stay in or near the park first to get a 'feeling' of the place and area.

Of course, I don't buy anything sight unseen. I will roam around the country to various states, I just didn't know what they were called so that I could find them online and have a direction to follow to look at them, check out the area, stay for awhile.

Not buying anything right now...it is just a direction we are thinking we would like to explore.

Blessed Travels,

VA guaranteed mortgages usually have a minimum living space requirement of 600 sq ft or more depending on the issuing bank. One exception is a 400 sq ft minimum for manufactured housing.

Dutch now that is a good issue to inquire about....that could be the down side. But one never knows, right? Guess we will need to do some more Q and A with the VA!

Blessed Travels,

I can't help you with the VA deal. But in the Yuma AZ. Foothills area there are private RV lots in residential areas, where stick built, Modular, Mobiles, and two RVs can be placed. The RV lots usually have two 50 amp outlets, two water hookups, and two sewer connections. Owners may add casitas with laundry and or bath facilities. Quite a few folks will stay on one side and rent the other side seasonally. Now I will say, you need to travel several years, plant yourself for several months in one place to get a feel for the area that you feel could work. Like us, having lived all our lives in Pennsylvania, there is no way that 13 years ago we thought we would become desert dogs during the winter.

Here's an oldie but a goodie. The plans for this can be ordered or designed yourself. The key I like is that the doors close and neighbors cannot tell when you are home by the presence/absence of the RV. http://www.rvdoctor.com/2004/11/rv-chalet-best-of-two-worlds.html

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

http://itchyhitchwhatsnew.blogspot.com/2015/01/yuma-foothills-park-model-and-lot-95000.html

Here is one that I would expect to qualify for VA. It's a deeded lot, with a park model on one side, room for a big rig on the lot. Good location in the Yuma Foothills, and nice hard/landscaping. No HOA's, which is a plus. A pretty slick set up.

Best of luck to you on your quest!

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

I don't know where you got that info from but it is wrong. You do not have to have it as your primary residence for 2 years. I just sold my house 3 years ago. Bought another...lived in it 9 months, sold it and bought another just a year ago and it is for sale as we speak. All 3 houses were financed VA, never were we told we had to own it for 2 years or more and on rental. We have checked incase it does not sell (then of course the RV port would have to wait too) but I can rent the house out as long as I only own one house. I can live in a rental, RV, hotel, car, cardboard box and rent out my house that I VA purchased. I just can't OWN another house.If I own 2 or more houses, I Have to primarily reside in the one that was purchased with VA. So, I can buy a house with my VA as my primary and have 3 summer homes in diff states and stay in them all I want and rent them out all I want as long as I don't rent the VA house out.

I just went through this 2 weeks ago with my mortgage company and with the VA housing admin.

Per the VA website, no one is allowed to buy a home with a VA loan without promising in writing that they will take possession of the home "within a reasonable period" and live on the property as the primary residence. It doesn't specify length of time to fulfill these requirements.

Here's an oldie but a goodie. The plans for this can be ordered or designed yourself. The key I like is that the doors close and neighbors cannot tell when you are home by the presence/absence of the RV. http://www.rvdoctor.com/2004/11/rv-chalet-best-of-two-worlds.html

I'm glad you posted that link. I used to have it, and another with free plans for this type building. The plans have long disappeared from the net, and a computer crash lost lost this one.

I do have a link to various free and purchased, building plans though:https://www.ag.ndsu.edu/extension-aben/buildingplans/

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Ray,

YW

Thanks for that plan site, very interesting reference.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

We are currently in the north Phoenix area. There are several neighborhoods that have a house and RV area. These houses/lots are built specific with the RV in mind. This seems to be fairly common but I have no idea what you would search for.

Don't really want a HOUSE....just a place to stop over for maybe a month and refresh. We would be there maybe twice a year but more like once. So I don't want a whole house and all that expense. Just something little and simple.Can be as small as a garage.

Blessed Travels,

Don't really want a HOUSE....just a place to stop over for maybe a month and refresh. We would be there maybe twice a year but more like once. So I don't want a whole house and all that expense. Just something little and simple.Can be as small as a garage.

Think rental property. Someone to keep up the property, help pay the mortgage, etc. You get to drop in, relax, all at your timetable.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

OP: Just wondering if you're only going to be using it once or twice a year for a month 'to refresh', why you want to buy something. You can do the same thing in a RV park for a lot less money. :)

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

OP: Just wondering if you're only going to be using it once or twice a year for a month 'to refresh', why you want to buy something. You can do the same thing in a RV park for a lot less money. :)

My thought also, unless you are looking for an area that might also be a good investment. Some of those properties can be good for a long term investment. Of course none have any guarantees but it might work for you.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Archived