Texas law regarding warranty work

PAylor

Hi all,

Not a question just needed to share something.

We are still under warranty and need work done. We're on the road in Texas. On our first attempt to get the work done we were told that Texas state franchise prohibited warranty work to be done unless the dealer sold that make and model.

I've never heard of such a thing!

Neither have I and I do not believe it. I bought my motorhome in Oklahoma and brought it to Texas a and got work here, as well as two other states. Before you believe that BS, make them quote you the law. If the work is on an appliance, any authorized repair tech can do that, no matter what brand you have versus what they may sell. Many if not most mobile techs do warranty repairs and they don't sell anything.

Please, share the name of that dealer with us as we who live in TX would like to know so that we can avoid him!

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Believe it is true because I tried to have warranty work done and the dealer turned me down. Called factory and they said even though they sell our brand of rv's, if they do not sell that particular type or model they are not obligated to work on it. Under Texas law.

Dave

2004 Volvo 630 left tandem with 12 speed Freedomline

2014 Sandpiper 35 ROK 42' fifth wheel

Western Golf & Country Cart (EZ-GO frame)

On our first attempt to get the work done we were told that Texas state franchise prohibited warranty work to be done unless the dealer sold that make and model.

Called factory and they said even though they sell our brand of rv's, if they do not sell that particular type or model they are not obligated to work on it. Under Texas law.

There is a difference between not being allowed, and not obligated. I think I may buy the latter more than the former as I have heard of, and seen first hand, dealers basically refusing to service RVs that were not purchased from them.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

Are you talking about an RV of some type or the vehicle your are towing or are towing with?

I don't know if this is true or not but if it is I know I smell the blood of a "business" friendly politician or two in the wind.

I was in a dealership once shopping for a part and overheard a conversation about turning down warranty work on rv's of the brand they sold that were bought somewhere else. I believe that one of the main brands they sold was Airstream. They are no longer in that location and I don't know if they closed. sold out. or just moved. That was in New Mexico. Based on the discussion I think they were only talking about RV's that were new enough to be in warranty. They also talked about serving local customers first if they were busy and just try to get to travelers with problems after the locals were taken care of.

If you go on a lot if not all RV brands websites to locate dealers I have found no way to pull up any but the very closest unless I have a zip code from somewhere else. Even then it wouldn't work sometimes. There is usually some statement about being loyal to local dealers but I don't believe that BS.

Kirk it was Camping World in Katy Tx. And yes this was for an rv.

On further check it appears that the dealers can work with you if they want to. I guess they just don't have to.

We found another dealer in another city that sold our brand (heartland ) but not our model (big horn). He called Heartland and got the okay and will do the work. Good to know though. Unfortunately you can't always plan the place where you will need work done!

And there you have it. I think that Camping World is that way everywhere. It is the reason that I take our trailer to a local family owned RV dealer that does not care where you bought your RV, nor do they place you in a lower priority just because they didn't sell it to you. In fact, they provide awesome service and very competitive pricing in the hopes that you will buy your next RV from them.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

Another one of the sucky sides of some RV dealers.

Or maybe Manufacturers slow paying or low balling costs.

As a businessman I may accept that risk for my local loyal customers as they will return. But why should I take that risk for a traveler that I will never see again?

I have stated that I know of several people that were extremely happy with the service side of the Albuquerque Camping World in the last couple of years. One had some extensive repairs to bodywork on his Alpenlite (I think) 5thW but it did take a little time to get some parts but they really worked with him to be able to stay in the RV boondocking just off the property

On the sale side if I used them I would automatically doubt anything they said until I could verify it independently.

"As a businessman I may accept that risk for my local loyal customers as they will return. " But why should I take that risk for a traveler that I will never see again? In one respect I can see that and I have even seen it once at an autodealership but ultimately it anyone felt their warranty would only be good at the dealership where purchased would make me want to find another brand. I think one reason the manufacturer makes it difficult is to make it difficult to see if you can get a better price on the same product. I am certain that most dealers like this and is a factor on whether they will carry a particular brand. To me that is an issue with the Auto conglomerates making it difficult to deal. I know a lady in Dallas that thought she was checking with 2 different dealerships for the better price. Problem was the same ones owned both dealerships with different names in the different parts of Dallas. Is this legal, yes? Is it not right IMO no. Sure makes me not ever to want to be loyal to any business.

On further check it appears that the dealers can work with you if they want to. I guess they just don't have to.

I know that at least used to be true so it probably still is. I have not looked at the state franchise law for some time so don't know that it has not been changed but it has never prohibited the non-selling dealer from doing warranty work and many do so. The manufacturer pays the dealers for that work but not always at the rate paid by the public and some of repair is sometimes absorbed by the dealer in certain situations, partially or totally. As a result, there are dealers who are really busy that don't want warranty work if they can avoid it, while others are happy to do so because helps to keep the employees busy and does pay at least something.

I know that that many RV dealers will do warranty work on appliances that they are authorized to do warranty work even when installed into an RV make that they do not sell and are not authorized to do warranty work on. If you read your warranty on your RV, you will find that all of the appliance warranties are from the appliance manufacturer and only the installation of them is warranted by the RV builder. That is typical of RVs from any manufacturer or dealer. But it is also a good thing in that it means you don't need to go to someone who sells your brand in order to get appliance warranty work done. Structural work is on the RV manufacturing company and would mean one of their authorized dealers for repairs.

Absolutely true.

Last year while in New Caney a mobile tech explained the law and it's been enforced a few times in the Houston area. Seems some mobile techs had arrangements with certain dealers and would report anyone they found doing warranty work on the brands they covered.

Weird.

Dave & Tish
Beagle Bagles & Snoopy

RIP Snoopy we lost you 5-11-14 but you'll always travel with us
On the road somewhere.
AF retired, 70-90
A truck and a trailer

“He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion” -unknown

HoD vay' wej qoH SoH je nep! ngebmo' vIt neH 'ach SoHbe' loD Hem, wa' ngebmo'. nuqneH...

Believe me, you do not want to ahve any work done by CW in Katy, TX. They have very poor reviews.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

We once looked at an RV on a dealer's lot in Minnesota and told them we also were looking at another one. They told us if we bought elsewhere we could not bring it to them for work. We didn't like that.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

1. Call: Office of the Attorney General, Consumer Protection Division, PO Box 12548, TX 78711-2548

2. THEN call the dealer and tell him you called the Attorney General's Office and tell them what they say.

I believe they were just blowing smoke.

*****All In.*********

Traveling America in "God's Grace"

Your dealing with people. It's not just the RV industry. I could name many business who wont touch anything they didn't sell. The good guys will bend over backwards for your dollars. (Ask Nikon if they will service anything that wasn't purchased by an authorized dealer in the USA).

It's just a case of good business practice. I'm sure a good dealer would find a way to fix something.

regards

1. Call: Office of the Attorney General, Consumer Protection Division, PO Box 12548, TX 78711-2548

2. THEN call the dealer and tell him you called the Attorney General's Office and tell them what they say.

I believe they were just blowing smoke.

I did and you are absolutely correct. They were. Not sure if they were blowing smoke or smoking something........

Please folks, before you spread a "fact" from the internet, take the time to see if it is true...

Consumer Protection & Public Health Regional Offices Austin Regional Office

Main Number: (512) 463-2185

Fax Number: (512) 473-8301

300 W. 15th Street, 9th Floor

PO Box 12548

Austin, TX 78711-2548

Dallas Regional Office

Main Number: (214) 969-7639

Fax Number: (214) 969-7615

1412 Main Street, Suite 810

Dallas, Texas 75202

El Paso Regional Office

Main Number: (915) 834-5800

Fax Number: (915) 542-1546

401 E. Franklin Avenue, Suite 530

El Paso, Texas 79901

Houston Regional Office

Main Number: (713) 223-5886

Fax Number: (713) 223-5821

808 Travis, Suite 1520

Houston, Texas 77002-1702

Pharr Regional Office

Main Number: (956) 682-4547

Fax Number: (956) 283-1802

3508 N. Jackson Rd., Suite 1500

Pharr, Texas 78577

San Antonio Regional Office

Main Number: (210) 225-4191

Fax Number: (210) 225-1075

115 East Travis Street, Suite 925

San Antonio, Texas 78205-1605

Many RV dealers will not do warranty work on a unit if they didn't sell it to you. When I was shopping

for an RV a number of salespersons told me that. It seems that the RV makers pay a lower per hour rate for warranty

work then the RV dealers charge paying customers. When I called my RV maker they told me that the dealers don't have to

do warranty on units that they didn't sell. Good Luck

I understand it more if it is not the same brand. I think if this was common knowledge it could affect sales. The ones that do this want customer loyalty in their direction but don't feel any need to be loyal in return. It does seem most will try to help you if they can. I can just imagine buying a new chevrolet in Wash. state and being transferred to Maine and having to take it back to Wash. for my warranty work.

The RV industry in general seems to have an attitude that people will pay whatever is asked of them and will accept any garbage told to them. Too bad the Japanese (or some other country) can't do to the RV industry what was done to the US auto industry. When the quality of the US automobiles got too bad, Americans started buying imports in droves. The auto industry got the message and improved their quality. Would that something like that could happen to the RV industry.

In the meantime, why not buy a used high-end coach that has been well maintained.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

Ok, I am confused.

If I buy a new Ford truck and it breaks down while covered under warranty, it needs to go back to a Ford dealership for warranty work. Ford has an agreement with all it's dealers to pay for warranty repairs. A Chevrolet dealer will not work on my new Ford product under warranty. Now, after the warranty runs out, I can pay Billy Bob's Car Repair and Donut shop to fix anything I want and he will, but Ford isn't gonna pay for him to fix warranty items either. Therefore, why would you expect an RV dealer to do warranty work for a brand that they do not sell? To the best of my knowledge there is only one place to get warranty work done on a New Horizion trailer, and that is the factory in Kansas. That is it. They are not going to pay another dealer. You need warrant work, bring it back to Kansas unless it isn't physically able. Now if it is an axle problem, and not a "trailer" problem and the axle manufacturer is covering the warranty, then I would think any RV repair facility that the axle manufacturer approves could do it, but that is way different than a "trailer" warranty issue.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Actually, Phil, in your example of New Horizons they WILL PAY another dealer or repair center to do the work. Warranty work. They just want to be called first.

So the example was a bad one, but the principle is sound.....

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Archived