"Willy Mammoth" - Volvo 730 RV Hauler Build

bmzero

The Jackalopee was a life saver. The instructions were easy to follow and everything worked the first time, well after I made a translation in wire colors from the Pollak instructions.

Hauler-Bed-2_w.jpg

Temporary location until I get everything moved inside the cab (hopefully Thursday).

Hauler-Bed-3_w.jpg

"Willy Mammoth" - Volvo 730, Sold

Heartland Cyclone 4000 Toy Hauler
T-Minus 26 years and counting to being a full timer.

• Replies 609
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the topic of tinted headlight covers....here is what I saw on all the Volvo's at MATS. They sure looked tinted to me...

20150327_114039.jpg

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Oh, and here is a good candidate for your next "beauty" improvement.....although you can argue it is a functional improvement. Has anyone retrofitted the shrouds?

20150326_134147.jpg

See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

Last one....view of the headlights AND a decent deer guard. The guard is a Magnum. It looks pretty good, but I think if I went this route I'd go all the way and put on a Moose bumper.

20150326_133309.jpg

www.jackdanmayer.com

On the topic of tinted headlight covers....here is what I saw on all the Volvo's at MATS. They sure looked tinted to me...

20150327_114039.jpg

Thanks, Jack. Those lights look great. I'm about done with the tinted lenses. I like the look, but the tint is harder on the light output than we thought it would be. The Volvo bulb system is just not up to the task.

I haven't seen those particular lights before. They are aftermarket, right?

Is the lens tinted or the black interior of the lights make it look tinted? I had these LED's installed at Volvo but have not tried them yet. They were part of my purchase deal. Here is a You Tube video of a guy using them and his thoughts. They are OE lights from Volvo DOT approved built by Truck-lite.

Is the lens tinted or the black interior of the lights make it look tinted?

Hard to say Rick. It may be that the interior is what you are seeing. I looked at them pretty close and really could not tell. Only thing I know is that they look real good.

www.jackdanmayer.com

Hard to say Rick. It may be that the interior is what you are seeing. I looked at them pretty close and really could not tell. Only thing I know is that they look real good.

On the lights Jack posted above, the lens does not look tinted to me. Pictured below are my lenses, which are tinted. You can see the difference in how cloudy the lights look behind the lenses. I will be removing these and going to something like Jack posted or at minimum removing the tint. I'm over the tint, just due to the reduced light output.

Cosmetics-2_w.jpg

Is the lens tinted or the black interior of the lights make it look tinted? I had these LED's installed at Volvo but have not tried them yet. They were part of my purchase deal. Here is a You Tube video of a guy using them and his thoughts. They are OE lights from Volvo DOT approved built by Truck-lite.

Those things look great, but at $749/ea., they should! :D

http://volvoled.com/

I think I remember the sales guy that sold me my truck said they were $840.00 a pair spec'ed on a new truck his cost.

Relatively, that doesn't seem too bad.

Amazon has different plans - http://www.amazon.com/Volvo-Truck-Headlight-Driver-Side/dp/B00JYES140

More information - http://fleetowner.com/equipment/volvo-makes-led-lighting-standard

According to some of the "Trucker Forums" folks driving the newer Volvo's for a living have "mixed" results using the new LED headlights.

They are excited about the light output vrs the "older version" but some have reported snow and ice build up can get excessive while

driving. It may be due to the "lack" of radiant heat of the LED's vrs the "older style" bulbs.

Lots of fleets are having a similar issue with their LED trailer lights not "melting" off the snow as was the norm with the "older style" bulbs.

Most of us using our Volvo HDT's probably won't have to worry about the snow and ice issue much.....

I'm a bit more thrifty and used David Dixon's HID upgrade and am very happy with it. Driving at night is more enjoyable

and gives me some flexibility in my travels.

Just an observation....At the HDT Rally in Hutch in 2014 we did do a "unscientific comparison" between several trucks

and aimed their headlights at a white wall to see the difference of various configurations. You could see the various light patterns

created by the OEM light setup with unpolished lenses, OEM with "newer" lenses, David's HID headlight upgrade with polished lenses

and the LED upgrade. I have to say by my "untrained" "seat of the pants" opinion it was hard to tell the difference between the

LED headlight and the HID upgrade.

Scott

David and I had this discussion last month when visiting. The fact is that his lights put out almost the same as the LEDs. They do not have icing issues. And the cost is more rational. Even with totally new headlight assemblies. That is the way I am going. I'm going to supplement with some LED DRLs for better daytime "visibility". These will be add-ons in my bumper cutout.

Just an observation....At the HDT Rally in Hutch in 2014 we did do a "unscientific comparison" between several trucks

and aimed their headlights at a white wall to see the difference of various configurations. You could see the various light patterns

created by the OEM light setup with unpolished lenses, OEM with "newer" lenses, David's HID headlight upgrade with polished lenses

and the LED upgrade. I have to say by my "untrained" "seat of the pants" opinion it was hard to tell the difference between the

LED headlight and the HID upgrade.

Scott

On the subject of ice buildup....that applies to the windshield as well. Which is why all Volvos from 2012 on have the electric defrost built into the windshield edges....shown in the picture below.

20150327_120119.jpg

www.jackdanmayer.com

Brit,

It was nice meeting you at the rally this year and enjoyed seeing what you had done to your truck. Looking forward to seeing it with the deck installed once you are done. Hopefully, the search for a new toyhauler will work out well for you.

By the way, did the kids have a nice time playing video games on the way home?

David and Vicki

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

Brit,

It was nice meeting you at the rally this year and enjoyed seeing what you had done to your truck. Looking forward to seeing it with the deck installed once you are done. Hopefully, the search for a new toyhauler will work out well for you.

By the way, did the kids have a nice time playing video games on the way home?

David and Vicki

David, you and your HDMI cable absolutely saved the day. The kids watched movies on the big screen all the way home. I really appreciate you sharing the cable. Otherwise, they would have given me the stink eye all the way home.

I'm going to start drawing the bed pretty soon. I'll keep this thread updated with preliminary drawings. I have some way out of the box ideas that probably need to be reined in by everyone here on the forum. :P

Good luck with your truck decision.

-b

I'm going to start drawing the bed pretty soon. I'll keep this thread updated with preliminary drawings. I have some way out of the box ideas that probably need to be reined in by everyone here on the forum. :P

I'm quite certain that whatever you build for the bed will be innovative and attractive. I can't wait to see what you come up with. You now have a reputation to maintain! :)

www.jackdanmayer.com

I'm quite certain that whatever you build for the bed will be innovative and attractive. I can't wait to see what you come up with. You now have a reputation to maintain! :)

Ha ha. No pressure there... Thanks.

It was great meeting you at the rally and the truck looks good. Have fun with the deck build and post lots of pics, we love pics!

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

It was great meeting you at the rally and the truck looks good. Have fun with the deck build and post lots of pics, we love pics!

Dave

Same here. It's good to share my misfit trailer needs with someone else. Maybe one day I'll bite the bullet and build my own trailer. Small steps. Bed first.

-brit

On the subject of ice buildup....that applies to the windshield as well. Which is why all Volvos from 2012 on have the electric defrost built into the windshield edges....shown in the picture below.

Jack, the electric front windshield defrost is not standard on Vovo trucks. It is a $349.00 option that I did not spec when ordering my truck.

Jack, the electric front windshield defrost is not standard on Vovo trucks. It is a $349.00 option that I did not spec when ordering my truck.

Yeah I recently figured this out.....the Volvo guy told me that it was on every truck. I questioned him on that. But he was a local salesperson and he probably had a standard package they put on their trucks.

In snow country that would be a pretty good potion. I'm surprised you did not put it on.

www.jackdanmayer.com

I took Willy to an alignment shop today to further chase my front end vibration today. Another $200 thrown at this mythical vibration.

Synopsis - at 42-45 MPH, the vibrations starts, but completely goes away by 55 MPH. It feels like it's coming from the right front. I have tried most obvious things (balancing tires, rotating tires, setting rear ride height, balancing/spinning rear tires, checked for warn parts, etc.).

Unfortunately, the alignment had no affect on the vibration, which is what I expected, but it needed to be done anyway after the axle removal.

Thankfully, after changing the shocks last week, the vibration does not affect driving and is mostly unnoticeable. However, this has become a mission for me and I WILL find it.

The next step is to replace the front suspension level valve as well as both front airbags. The passenger airbag does have a small leak in it, but it does show the same pressure on the gauge throughout a road trip, so I don't think the leak is big enough to cause the vibration issue. I'm hopeful this will fix it. It seems to have fixed the exact same issue on several trucks on TruckersReport.com.

Archived