Federal Income Tax.

bobsallyh

Gives the scammers more time to steal other peoples returns. I never did return home to file taxes. I mailed my paperwork to my accountant, she faxed me the papers to sign, I faxed them back.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

We already did ours online like we have for years, it gets easier every year but we've done our own for years even when I was in business. 

Denny

Denny & Jami SKP#90175
Most Timing with Mac our Scottie, RIP Jasper our Westie
2013 F350 SC DRW 6.2 V8 4.30 Gears
2003 HH Premier 35FKTG Home Base Nebraska

8 minutes ago, 2gypsies said:

I could never understand that comment "I have to get home to do my taxes".

I suspect those are people who don't carry their paperwork with them nor do business online. If your 1099s are mailed to your house, you would need to go home?

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

27 minutes ago, sandsys said:

I suspect those are people who don't carry their paperwork with them nor do business online. If your 1099s are mailed to your house, you would need to go home?

Linda

We get all of our 1099s by downloading.  The only one that still sends them is Social Security, and we already know what the numbers will be, so we have the taxes all done by the time the snail mail copy arrives.   

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

1 minute ago, Barbaraok said:

We get all of our 1099s by downloading.  The only one that still sends them is Social Security, and we already know what the numbers will be, so we have the taxes all done by the time the snail mail copy arrives.   

Yes, our taxes are done and small refund deposited. But, not everyone is as comfortable doing things on line as we are.

Linda

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

7 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

The same is true for us. With the increase in the standard deduction, few retired people on fixed incomes gain anything from filing long form. We have friends who continue to pay someone for doing their taxes, more from fear or lack of understanding than anything else. I really think that most people who use a computer at all would be surprised by how easy it has become. Nearly all of the software today will interview you and you just supply the numbers and it figures out the most beneficial way of filing. Unless you have more than $12,200 per person in deductions, you can use the standard deduction and it even determines if you SS will be taxed and if so, how much of it. 

Many of us qualify to use the IRS, free file option that takes you to various company programs to use with no cost at all. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

My retirement system (city gov't), through fear or incompetence, stopped posting 1099s online, so this year I had to wait out the paper mail to get my duplicate because the first one is lost.  Rather frustrating to say the least when that took 9 days from WA to CA.

And of course they couldn't just take a picture of it and send it to me, or just tell me the 2 numbers I need.  Oh no, that's "unsecure" and "not our policy".  Meanwhile, someone has my original 1099 with my SSN on it. 

Edited by hemsteadc

8 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

Social Security started making 1099R forms available on line last year.  Prior to that, when on the road  I had to go to a SS office & wait 4 hours for them to print one.

150150.jpg.30f49e1e712c4af11a1e8f523a24f5d1.jpg

Travel photos RV Blogs Journals & Travelogues at:
http://www.lakeshoreimages.com
My Travel Blog - Jon's Journeys

11 hours ago, sandsys said:

Linda

IMO - "I have to go home to file my taxes" - may just be a "convenient" reason.

Taxpayers have always had the option of filing for an extension.  If the Feds and/or State "owe" you - it's not a big deal. The "at home" tax preparer should be able to easily coordinate same.

Mailed to your house? - Ask for a duplicate 1099 to be mailed to your current location.

Maybe it works - maybe not.  No harm in trying.

2 hours ago, Pappy Yokum said:

Taxpayers have always had the option of filing for an extension.

Yes, but. My understanding is if you think you owe them money you must pay it on time even if you file late. This year, however, is different because of COVID19. Now you have to file but payment can be delayed. Please, be sure you are getting right information from a valid source before deciding what you should do. Don't quote me as your source because I am already passing on second hand information.

Linda

We have been filing online for years no problems with1099's of any kind. Filed both State and  Federal  3-2-2020 and deposited the refunds  3-12-2020.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

Not everyone has so simple a financial situation as to be able to file on-line.  Just yesterday, we spent two hours with our accountant, going over  insurance, rents, crop sales, land sales, the list goes on.  And this for the personal return, the business return gets filed in Sept.

On the flip side, we don't full time, our kids and grandkids are here, and we love spring in the Ohio Valley.  It's no hardship to make sure we're back in time.

Thank goodness we get another 90 days to pay.  We'll owe.😭

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

The IRS did not extend the time to file. You still must file by April 15th. However, if you owe taxes you have 90 days interest free to remit payment. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

On 3/17/2020 at 10:32 PM, bobsallyh said:

Well one of the reasons so many winter visitors  in Yuma, AZ. and probably other snowbird areas, always say they need "to beat feet home" is to do taxes. Well the Feds just extended that out 90 days.

Today my CPA told me taxes must be filed NLT April 15, no change. What did change was; there will be no interest or fees assessed for late payments for 90 days after taxes are due.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

12 hours ago, rickeieio said:

Not everyone has so simple a financial situation as to be able to file on-line. 

No question that you are correct in that but have you ever tried one of the income tax programs? We have done our own taxes for many years and we shifted to a computer program in the early 90's, when our taxes were more complicated and the programs mostly helped to fill out the same forms and you had to print them out and mail them to file. Over the years since then the programs have become much better and they cover more things with very few situations today which a good program does not have built into it. You may be the exception, but my son the financial analyst estimates that perhaps as many as 60% of those paying to have their taxes done could do their own if they  realized it. 

For those that don't want to prepare their taxes online, downloadable versions of the tax software are available: TurboTax: $39.99 to $109.99. TaxACT: $24.95 to $124.90. H&R Block: $19.95 to $79.95 plus the cost of state returns and state e-file. On the other hand,.....

The average cost for tax preparation is $225 per return. Hiring a tax accountant to file your taxes, you will likely spend between $99 and $450 per return. The price of tax preparation can vary greatly by region (and even by zip code). The average cost for tax preparation is $225 per return. Hiring a tax accountant to file your taxes, you will likely spend between $99 and $450 per return. The price of tax preparation can vary greatly by region (and even by zip code). 

Edited by Kirk W

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Kirk,

Yes, I've looked in to the programs like Turbo-Tax.  With rental property, and multiple renters, health care, insurances and a host of other considerations, the fees paid to the accountant are worth it.  I'm a semi-retired farmer, so we are leasing out the land, which is owned by multiple entities, again for tax purposes.  Being the only employee of a corporation, which we own, makes health care and insurance "interesting".  And now we're selling some assets, which triggers capital gains, so if I sell a tract of land or equipment, I give Uncle Sam 20%.

Some day the IRS will have the "Really Short Form", which might say,  "How much did you make.....send it."

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

I too have rental properties with depreciation schedules and have to file a Schedule C for each property in addition to my 1040. The IRS computers will more likely kick out your return for a review by a live person if done by the individual rather than a professional tax preparer, mostly for math errors. So paying a professional is like buying insurance so as not as likely to be reviewed. Just my two cents. Hopefully I don’t have to pay tax on that two cents, lol lol lol. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

Fulltimer

22 minutes ago, Twotoes said:

I too have rental properties with depreciation schedules and have to file a Schedule C for each property in addition to my 1040. The IRS computers will more likely kick out your return for a review by a live person if done by the individual rather than a professional tax preparer, mostly for math errors. So paying a professional is like buying insurance so as not as likely to be reviewed. Just my two cents. Hopefully I don’t have to pay tax on that two cents, lol lol lol. 

I understand your misgivings of doing it yourself but when had my Electrical, Refrigeration and HVAC buisness we used a lawyer first and then a CPA and had nothing but problems with our taxes, the CPA was the worst. Then we started using TurboTax and after we got all our information inputted including all our buissness depreciation schedules, 1099s, rental depreciation, investment schedules and income it was easy even when we sold the rental property and sold off my business equipment. It checks all math and deductions plus everything will carry over to the next year so the second year is even easier. We no longer use it because our taxes are so simple now we use free fill.

Denny

Denny & Jami SKP#90175
Most Timing with Mac our Scottie, RIP Jasper our Westie
2013 F350 SC DRW 6.2 V8 4.30 Gears
2003 HH Premier 35FKTG Home Base Nebraska

Thanks Denny. I have been using the same account now for about 15 years. He is great. I pay very little in income taxes due to his ability to get me the maximum depreciation on my property. What I save on tax more than offsets what I pay him vs turbo tax. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

Fulltimer