Attention Visitors and Lurkers - Please Read and Respond to this Request

dieseldan

I guess I will come out of my hiding place and introduce myself. I have been lurking for a few months now after doing some research on what vehicle would be best to pull a big 5'er that DW and I have looked at for a few months. Currently we have just a TT and 1/2 Ford F150, but want to upgrade to a bigger 5'er. What we couldn't believe is that a F350 - F550 would be so expensive, and still not be able to safely pull the heavy 5'er that we really like. We discovered the idea of using a HDT would be ideal so we started lurking here and seriously looking at the idea of a HDT.

Having a 7 & 2 y/o at home and still a few years before I will retire from the Army and begin a second career we have skirted around the idea of fulltiming between the Army and whatever job I take afterwards so the idea of having a HDT to do the job and realizing that they can the job much safer (and cheaper) has become extremely attractive. DW has agreed in principle to the idea - in a few years, hopefully after a second overseas tour to Europe.

Steve & Stacie

TexasClarks

Steven & Stacie, plus 2 (2002 & 2007 model years)... And one dog!

** currently w/out RV 😞

US Army - Logistician with 30-years of service

Texas -- not just a State, but a State of mind!

• Replies 901
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What we couldn't believe is that a F350 - F550 would be so expensive, and still not be able to safely pull the heavy 5'er that we really like. We discovered the idea of using a HDT would be ideal so we started lurking here and seriously looking at the idea of a HDT.

Steve and Stacy, welcome to the forum.

When the time comes, you'll be happy to know (if you don't already, as a result of reading the forum) that Texas is one of, if not THE most HDT-friendly states in the country, allowing registration as either a private truck or as a motorhome.

Best of luck in your planning and future travels, and thank you for your service.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

Phil,

I was starting to think that I was the only one on the welcome committee..........we wouldn't want that, I aint much of a poster boy. :D

Unrelated, is it cold there yet? :)

Do NOT send me a PM, Cliick HERE to email me!

In considering a truck like that you need to ask yourself just how much you enjoy meeting new people, such as tow truck drivers and heavy truck mechanics?

Or perhaps, enjoying the great outdoors, like the side of the road while waiting to meet those exciting people?

Phil,

I was starting to think that I was the only one on the welcome committee..........we wouldn't want that, I aint much of a poster boy. :)

Unrelated, is it cold there yet? :)

:P

Yeah, we've had some cold. We've had lows down in the upper teens once or twice this past week, and two or three days with highs that probably didn't make forty degrees. It got into the high 50s today, but the weather's going back into the crapper starting tomorrow. :(

Thanks for asking. :D :D

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

• 1 month later...

I am known as Lights (can you guess why). I drive HDT's as my part time job. I have been looking for a good Volvo for the last 2 years. 4 weeks ago we needed some Peterbilt parts so I stop & picked them up. The Volvo/Mack dealer was next door so I stop and ask if the had any thing with a autoshift. Mike said yes and the rest is history. We are now the owners of a 2007 VNL 630 12L engine/w 10speed autoshift. The truck only has 246500 miles and just like new. Now we are in the process of getting it ready to be reclassed and to pull our DRV. We have a Ford F-550 7.3 L Diesel Crew Cab 4x4 with a Aluminum Pro Hauler 7 compartment storage Bed with 29700 mile we will be selling.

I have been reading the HDT site and it is a great place for info.

07 630 VNL Volvo
16 Smart Car
2017 DRV 40KSSB4

NOTE:

Since Dan hasn't been seen on the forum in a couple years and since the body of his post must have been lost in the transition to the new site I'm taking the liberty to update/insert a replacement post.

Welcome to the Escapees HDT Forum

If your New to the HDT forum or have been a Lurker for awhile and your considering moving up to the world of HDT's please take a few minutes to tell us a little bit about yourself and by all means don't be Shy about asking any questions that you might have about towing your 5th_Wheel with a converted HDT.

Jon, Keeper of The HDT Resource Guide

That is All.....

Nancy and I are long time RVers. We currently pull a 2009 Cedar Creek fifth wheel with a 1999 GMC 3500 (7.4 gas).

While the GMC does an admirable job with the CC, it does have to work hard to handle the weight. I was looking for a more powerful TV.

A couple of guys in the Cedar Creek RV Owner's Club own HDT's. They got me seriously looking into the possibility. When Freddie let me drive his Volvo about a month ago I was hooked.

We have just purchased a 2004 VNL670 ex-mail hauler. 756K on the clock. 70% tires. New brakes. New batteries. Volvo engine. 10 speed manual. Very, very clean and well cared for - I have all the service records. Full testing and service were performed before we took delivery. Engine is tight with blow-by below expected levels.

Now, I am on a steep learning curve and loving it all.

I am a retired college dean. Before that, a professor in the School of Electrical Engineering. Nancy is still teaching at a middle school, awaiting retirement in two years. I love to "tinker" and have a pretty complete shop with welding, woodworking, etc. Unfortunately, not large enough to pull the VLN inside.

Much to do. Lots of info to filter through. This appears to be the place to be to get that done!

Randy, Nancy and Oscar (Oscar is our Dachshund, or "Daddy's Little Boy)

longshot.jpg

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

• 4 weeks later...

begnsmall

First we are all glad you found your way back! A Prodigal Gedi back to the dark side.Would that be a "T2000" that your flyin? Let us know about your "SMART".

HAPPY TRAILS&HAPPY NEW YEAR

In The Faith

roadfitter Check out the You Tube site in my signiture

roadfitter

2000 T-2000 10 speed autoshift DD430/500 H.P.

2001 Alfa 39' Toyhouse

http://community.webshots.com/user/roadfitter597

Holiday lite trucks.

ROADFITTER

THANKS FOR RESPONDING TO MY POST.IT DOES WORK AND LIFE IS GOOD. THE SMART CAR IS DOING WELL AND CAN YOU BELIEVE IT ,WE JUST PUT OUR SECOND SET OF SHOES ON THE LITTLE BEAUTY.HOW TIME FLIES.AS SOON AS I CAN FIGURE IT OUT ,I'LL HAVE THE NEW AVATAR UP AND RUNNING.HOPE YOU AND YOURS HAD A GREAT CHRISTMAS AND THE UPCOMING NEW YEAR.

• 1 month later...

Greetings to all the HDT'ers who unselfishly post their accumulation of knowledge or skill that results from direct personal involvement in the various systems of the HDT experience, to those of us who are not so inclined as to be able to apply mechandal/electrical/diy type of engineering knowledge/skill-set to the HDT or rv systems. Anyway, thanks for the work and large information data base that all of you have built up over the years.

I am Larry, an Escapee member. My wife (C'Anne) and I decided to give this RV lifestyle a trial back in 07 and off we went. From Ohio, southwest to Houston, TX visit with son and family, then with new grand child; in late Dec. made are way into Tuscon, AZ, staying for about 3 months then back to Renick, WV for the summer. Now, though, rv'ing is on hold, sold house in WV, moved to Strongsville, Ohio to take care of wife's mother (90), then my mother's (86) health suddenly turned against her, now we take care of them both, we'll remain here till this work is finished, and if we are ourselves still physically able we'll start the journey over once again. But this time it will not be in LDT 1 ton pulling 15,000+ fiver. Hence my reason for reading and learning of the HDT as a totter. It is certaninty that a professional will be doing all the HDT conversion work. Again thanks to all you for the education.

Topwatch; USN 60-69; USMC 71-76; OANG 86-94 (RET). "And so it goes". Better now; as "and so it went"

C'Anne & Larry, and The Cats, Mr. Stripey & Alley

(care giving, Strongsville, OH)

Keystone Montana 3500RL.

Trk no; HDT(?) In thinkin' about it stage.

SKIP 97357

"You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong.You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift. You cannot lift the wage earner up by pulling the wage payer down. You cannot further the brotherhood of man by inciting class hatred... You cannot build character and courage by taking away people's initiative and independence.You cannot help people permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves."

~ Abraham Lincoln

• 3 weeks later...

I've been lurking here for about a year reading all I could about using HDTs. My wife and I have been fulltiming for almost 4 years in a 35' MH until the purchase of our 5er in September at the Hershey RV Show. Jack and Mark's web sites have given me lots to think about, as I began to consider an HDT. We are in Harrisburg, PA and have recently met Phil & Kathy Detweiler who have helped continue my education. We won't need a truck for another 6 months or so, as we will be here in PA due to health concerns. I have begun to search more seriously for a truck with the prices coming down lately. I've seen a post about a singled Volvo that is ready to go and is within our budget and have contacted the owner. Some of what I've recently read about Wayland's auction finds is making me think I need to investigate that avenue. Budget is a major consideration (like it isn't for everyone?!), so I am trying to be patient in the search. Thanks to all who post. This has been so very interesting.

Jeff

Cindy & Jeff Brett
2014 Mobile Suite Memphis 44'
2004 Volvo 630 (The Sonshine Express), ET Hitch, Jackalopee & Szmyt Wonderbed
2016 Smart (Blanche)

Hey guys,

I'm new here and this is my first post. I have been pulling my 38.5 ft Desert Fox TH with an 06 Dodge Mega Cab Dually and it pulls great but I keep having auto tranny issues. Anyway, I am looking at the possibility of moving up to an HDT, I'm just afraid of losing the utility of having a pick-up with a bed... I just can't have both vehicles, being in the military makes it hard to move the vehicles I have already!

Chris

2004 Blue Bird Wanderlodge M380

2014 Goldwing

2004 Yamaha V-Max
2007 Honda XR650R
2007 Honda TRX250EX

It looks like the welcoming committee is still in Retama, lounging around...............

WELCOME TO THE FORUM! :D

In considering a truck like that you need to ask yourself just how much you enjoy meeting new people, such as tow truck drivers and heavy truck mechanics?

Or perhaps, enjoying the great outdoors, like the side of the road while waiting to meet those exciting people?

I'm not sure if I still qualify as a lurker as I've made one or two posts when the topic was something I was more familiar with. I read this forum all the time, even though I am a DP guy. Reason I'm a DP guy and not a HDT guy is because DW does not want an HDT, won't even look at one. We started with a 5er and a SRW, quickly upgraded to a dually, but when I started looking bigger the clamps were put on. Now she lets me have toys, but this is too much for her. Every time we see a bobtail she makes some kind of comment.

I think the regular posters on this forum are some of the most knowledgeable people around, and always willing to share. So I will have to continue just reading even when Wayland and Pipe have that auction deal going on. But -- all together now -- "if Mama ain't happy, Pappa ain't happy".

== John

2015 Entegra Aspire 44B diesel pusher with 2017 GMC Acadia Denali toad
Web site, albums, blog and more here

Chris, you can put any kind of bed on an HDT that you can dream up. A Flatbed with pop-in stake sides would give you the utility you want and still allow towing of any kind of trailer. Just recess the hitch to the level of the deck and put a cover-plate on it when using as a flatbed.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

• 2 weeks later...
Guest hjsdds
I'm not sure if I still qualify as a lurker as I've made one or two posts when the topic was something I was more familiar with. I read this forum all the time, even though I am a DP guy. Reason I'm a DP guy and not a HDT guy is because DW does not want an HDT, won't even look at one. We started with a 5er and a SRW, quickly upgraded to a dually, but when I started looking bigger the clamps were put on. Now she lets me have toys, but this is too much for her. Every time we see a bobtail she makes some kind of comment.

I think the regular posters on this forum are some of the most knowledgeable people around, and always willing to share. So I will have to continue just reading even when Wayland and Pipe have that auction deal going on. But -- all together now -- "if Mama ain't happy, Pappa ain't happy".

== John

"if Mama ain't happy, oh John, we don't want unhappy mama's! You need to introduce her to the RDBE Gals who are now "happy mama's". Would love to chat with her or see you both at an HDT Rally ! dds RDBE #1

• 3 weeks later...

Canadian newby here ,been lurking for years just reading and learning.

Thought I would come into the light :-)

I dont have a big trailer never will ,when the wife retires we will 'snowbird' but not fulltime ,we dont need a HTD but Iam drawn by the saftey and reasonable (cheaper) cost of these units compared to a say 1 ton pick-up , and Iam all for saving money.

If any fellow ontario'ans know of a HTD rv converter I would love to know ,someone posted a link to a outfit in alberta and may stop in when Iam out that way next, but I thought the prices were a bit steep (up to 59,000cdn)and we need some competion up here.

I wont post much as I dont have any answers and most of my questions are covered in the excellent resource in the sticky

so thank you for that.

2005 volvo 670 freedomline singled
Newmar Torrey Pine 34rsks
woot woot

Canadian newby here ,been lurking for years just reading and learning.

Thought I would come into the light :-)

I dont have a big trailer never will ,when the wife retires we will 'snowbird' but not fulltime ,we dont need a HTD but Iam drawn by the saftey and reasonable (cheaper) cost of these units compared to a say 1 ton pick-up , and Iam all for saving money.

If any fellow ontario'ans know of a HTD rv converter I would love to know ,someone posted a link to a outfit in alberta and may stop in when Iam out that way next, but I thought the prices were a bit steep (up to 59,000cdn)and we need some competion up here.

I wont post much as I dont have any answers and most of my questions are covered in the excellent resource in the sticky

so thank you for that.

Welcome to the forum hone eagle. I would recomend you contact a member by the user name of PSD Tweaker. Rick is from your neck of the woods and hails from Quebec. He has a tremendous reputation as a great resource in the HDT arena. He is an HDT owner, and has helped many aquire the rig of their dreams. I would imagine he could steer you to the right places to get a rig converted in your own back yard. Good Luck.

Jim

fbcover2.jpg

Fulltiming, Class of 2013

2001 Volvo VNL 610 with Smart Hauler Bed (FOOTLOOSE)

2012 Smart 4 Two (FANCY-FREE)

2004 Newmar Mountain Aire with Motorcycle Lift (LEADFOOT)

2013 Harley Davidson Road Glide Ultra (LIGHTFOOT)

"Submarines Forever"

Thank you Jim, Iam well aware of Rick and his rep,but his neck of the woods is about a 14 hour drive :-)

There is a rally in the northeastern part of the province,but dang by the time I found out about we had already made all our travel plans (north of Superior this year )

Next year I wll keep a canadian rally in our plans.

Got time, wife works 5 more years and the '99 SuperDuty soldiers on.

2005 volvo 670 freedomline singled
Newmar Torrey Pine 34rsks
woot woot

Hello Folks,

I've been lurking here for quite sometime now, and I thought I would finally introduce myself. I'm less then two years from my military retirement, and the wife is already military retired, and is going to school full time to become a nurse. In the short term we still have 1 more daughter that's a few years from graduating, and 1 daughter that graduates in June. The wife and I plan on full timing for several years so HDT is the way to go. The wife plans on doing the "traveling Nurse" thing in the future, and I think I'll do the working camping thing. My 5th wheel is only 14,000 lbs, but it makes sense to never buy another 1 ton and go with the Class 8. I seem to be searching everyday for the right truck, but common sense has me waiting for a bit until the time gets closer. I've been tempted several times to just pull the trigger, but with only the normal vacations for the next few years I know I'll need to wait just a bit.

I know it sounds strange, but I feel like I know all of you very well, and the wife is getting to know each of you when I mention your stories. I look forward to the day when I can say I finally pull the trigger, and I can finally meet up with some of you. In the mean time I've been adding the extras to my current truck that can be transferred to the HDT in the future -- I.E. -- Backup camera, Pressure Pro Tire Monitor, Looking for a diesel generator, & Air ride Hitch. Also been keeping my eyes open for that elusive Volvo 730 that seems to be in my future.

Ya'll take care and I'll keep lurking until I find something that I might know something about more then the experts.....

Jon

USAF Active Duty -- FE AC-130U

2009 Keystone Freedom Elite MK39 Fifth Wheel

2005 GMC Dually Diesel

Welcome to the forum! Keep us posted on the progress of the search...... :rolleyes:

Hello Folks,

I've been lurking here for quite sometime now, and I thought I would finally introduce myself. I'm less then two years from my military retirement, and the wife is already military retired, and is going to school full time to become a nurse. In the short term we still have 1 more daughter that's a few years from graduating, and 1 daughter that graduates in June. The wife and I plan on full timing for several years so HDT is the way to go. The wife plans on doing the "traveling Nurse" thing in the future, and I think I'll do the working camping thing. My 5th wheel is only 14,000 lbs, but it makes sense to never buy another 1 ton and go with the Class 8. I seem to be searching everyday for the right truck, but common sense has me waiting for a bit until the time gets closer. I've been tempted several times to just pull the trigger, but with only the normal vacations for the next few years I know I'll need to wait just a bit.

I know it sounds strange, but I feel like I know all of you very well, and the wife is getting to know each of you when I mention your stories. I look forward to the day when I can say I finally pull the trigger, and I can finally meet up with some of you. In the mean time I've been adding the extras to my current truck that can be transferred to the HDT in the future -- I.E. -- Backup camera, Pressure Pro Tire Monitor, Looking for a diesel generator, & Air ride Hitch. Also been keeping my eyes open for that elusive Volvo 730 that seems to be in my future.

Ya'll take care and I'll keep lurking until I find something that I might know something about more then the experts.....

Welcome Jon, it sounds like you and I have a lot in common. I will be tracking your progress. Seems you are way ahead of me. ;)

Jim

fbcover2.jpg

Fulltiming, Class of 2013

2001 Volvo VNL 610 with Smart Hauler Bed (FOOTLOOSE)

2012 Smart 4 Two (FANCY-FREE)

2004 Newmar Mountain Aire with Motorcycle Lift (LEADFOOT)

2013 Harley Davidson Road Glide Ultra (LIGHTFOOT)

"Submarines Forever"

Jim,

I've been reading your posts for awhile now, and I hardly think I'm ahead of you. The wife and I have enjoying the RVing Lifestyle for awhile now, but full timing is a whole other style. Not to mention that you have like 5+ years on my in your career. Reading your posts is what actually prompted me into posted here. Especially the post about you walking into the RV Dealer and them asking you what tow vehicle you have. ;) I know I'm in the service as well, but I applaud the sacrifice you've made to your country and hope your later years are more enjoyable as your younger years.

Jon

USAF Active Duty -- FE AC-130U

2009 Keystone Freedom Elite MK39 Fifth Wheel

2005 GMC Dually Diesel