Attention Visitors and Lurkers - Please Read and Respond to this Request

dieseldan

i've been lurking for a short time and came across a post that got me thinking so i figured i had better intro myself before i start firing away with questions. i'm looking at the idea of an HDT for a tow vehicle for my boat (WAY overkill) and will have a few questions for you guys along the way. i'm not going to be looking for a rig that i can "full time" in, more of something that may be an over-nighter.......on to my questions and thanx in advance for the help!

• Replies 901
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i've been lurking for a short time and came across a post that got me thinking so i figured i had better intro myself before i start firing away with questions. i'm looking at the idea of an HDT for a tow vehicle for my boat (WAY overkill) and will have a few questions for you guys along the way. i'm not going to be looking for a rig that i can "full time" in, more of something that may be an over-nighter.......on to my questions and thanx in advance for the help!

I could be wrong, as I have only owned an HDT for 11 months, but I do have a lot of experince on boat ramps. . . . An HDT is about the last thing I would want to use on a boat ramp. I would be too worried about traction problems, unless you plan on adding 10-12K weight over the rear wheels.

Edit: Welcome, by the way!

Edited by D and J

2005 Charleston 400TS Diesel Pusher
RV there yet?

Evening All, Just wanted to take a minute and introduce myself. As most, Ive been lurking for a while gathering and reading all the great info and just recently joined Escapees. I purchased my HDT over a year ago and have slowly bringing it up to my standards with a ways to go.

If owning an HDT is " The Dark Side" then owning a 97 Freightliner Cabover is even further out and looking back in. From what I can tell cabovers are the minority by far but hey thats all right. I like it and thats what matters.

She has a 330 hp 1350 FT Lbs, N14 Celect Plus with a Eaton 10sp OD. 3.91 gears and has a 154" WB and single axel. She is everything Jack was gracious enough to warn me about before I purchased her and currently has 581K miles. I have put over 7K on it all bobtail over the last year as I have yet to purchase a hitch and pull my 5th wheel. I currently work full time in Fort Worth and full time in my trailer.

My other truck is an 02 Chevy Silverado and the 85 ElectraGlide is parked in the back of the trailer

My plan is to make it up to the Rally in October if only for a couple of days to check out all the great trucks and say HI.

Will be happy to post picks when I get a couple of nice ones.

Gary :D

Hi all,

I've been lurking for a month or two, trying to learn as much as possible. I recently retired. My spouse retires in 6 years. We had originally thought of getting an Heavy Duty Dodge Ram, but after closely examining the specs decided that wouldn't be too good an idea. We came across Jack's pages talking about his HDT and realized that's what we needed. Our plan calls for getting a Volvo 770-780 in a year or year-and-a-half. Then about a year later we'll be getting our 5er, living in it and taking looong weekends until Trish retires. Then we're on the road ... until we're not any longer.

Trish & Raquel

--------

"Road Runner" -- 2005 Volvo VNL780, 500hp Cummins ISX, Ultra-Shift, ET-Hitch, 198" wb

"Wile E." -- 2013 Heartland Landmark San Antonio

Hi all,

I've been lurking for a month or two, trying to learn as much as possible. I recently retired. My spouse retires in 6 years. We had originally thought of getting an Heavy Duty Dodge Ram, but after closely examining the specs decided that wouldn't be too good an idea. We came across Jack's pages talking about his HDT and realized that's what we needed. Our plan calls for getting a Volvo 770-780 in a year or year-and-a-half. Then about a year later we'll be getting our 5er, living in it and taking looong weekends until Trish retires. Then we're on the road ... until we're not any longer.

From One Newby to another welcome..

Edited by COE Gary

Evening All, Just wanted to take a minute and introduce myself. As most, Ive been lurking for a while gathering and reading all the great info and just recently joined Escapees. I purchased my HDT over a year ago and have slowly bringing it up to my standards with a ways to go.

If owning an HDT is " The Dark Side" then owning a 97 Freightliner Cabover is even further out and looking back in. From what I can tell cabovers are the minority by far but hey thats all right. I like it and thats what matters.

She has a 330 hp 1350 FT Lbs, N14 Celect Plus with a Eaton 10sp OD. 3.91 gears and has a 154" WB and single axel. She is everything Jack was gracious enough to warn me about before I purchased her and currently has 581K miles. I have put over 7K on it all bobtail over the last year as I have yet to purchase a hitch and pull my 5th wheel. I currently work full time in Fort Worth and full time in my trailer.

My other truck is an 02 Chevy Silverado and the 85 ElectraGlide is parked in the back of the trailer

My plan is to make it up to the Rally in October if only for a couple of days to check out all the great trucks and say HI.

Will be happy to post picks when I get a couple of nice ones.

Gary B)

Welcome Gary,

And welcome to the black sheep club within the dark side. Having anything other than a Volvo and then like me a day cab, I, like you are a member of the black sheep club. I suppose the blackest of sheep would be the day cab COE built by Freightliner..... :)<_< Just kidding. Like you we are working full timers, but in 279 days we will drop the anchor called "a job" and hit the road. Good luck and have fun.

Welcome Gary,

And welcome to the black sheep club within the dark side. Having anything other than a Volvo and then like me a day cab, I, like you are a member of the black sheep club. I suppose the blackest of sheep would be the day cab COE built by Freightliner..... :blink::lol: Just kidding. Like you we are working full timers, but in 279 days we will drop the anchor called "a job" and hit the road. Good luck and have fun.

ghillie, Thanks for the Welcome. Black Sheep is about right. Although I do have a small sleeper there is no chance to register it as a motorhome unless I use furniture from the Ken and Barbie collection. I am a fan of all the trucks, just have a warm spot for Cab Overs. I learned to drive them in the Air Force.

279 days and a wake up. Good for you. I'm working towards that..

Keep smiling as you drive that Columbia and take care.

Gary

Welcome John. Hours upon hours of reading about HDT issues on this site. Probably more than you ever want to know. If you can't find an answer to a questions with the search engine, just ask. Haven't seen many questions that couldn't be answered. Remember, you don't have to get rid of the P/U, just add an HDT. What I did. Pick Ups make good yard tractors.

Ray

Ray & Nancy H.
2004 Volvo VNL-670; Cummins ISX 500hp/1650tq; Autoshift; 3:55 Rear Gears, Custom Bed wT/S Air Hitch
2010 39' Raptor Velocity Toyhauler.
2013 Fiat 500 Turbo
2012 Can-Am Commander 1000
2012 Can-Am Renegade 1000

Hi I am Robert Ryan from Australia and I am fascinated with most things automotive. As I am now retired I am looking more at RV related issues. The variety in the Australian RV industry is outstanding and it is interesting to compare developments here with overseas. Large MDT / HDT trucks are being used to tow heavy 5th wheelers(39ft +)in Australia and New Zealand. A variety of TV's for smaller 5vers and Caravans.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi I just rejoined escapees, I can't leave yet still working probably for a couple of years still. I want to carry a motorcycle with us and maintain a fifth wheel hence lurking on the HDT pages. I am learning a lot.

Eric Anderson

Essex Limousine Service Inc.

"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'" (Author unknown)

Welcome Eric, I like your tastes.

fbcover2.jpg

Fulltiming, Class of 2013

2001 Volvo VNL 610 with Smart Hauler Bed (FOOTLOOSE)

2012 Smart 4 Two (FANCY-FREE)

2004 Newmar Mountain Aire with Motorcycle Lift (LEADFOOT)

2013 Harley Davidson Road Glide Ultra (LIGHTFOOT)

"Submarines Forever"

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All, I have been a lurker here for probably longer than I can truly recall. The info on here is some of the best to be found so thanks to everyone who takes the time to add their comments, its extremely helpful. I currently have neither a truck, nor a trailer but looking to get both, (sorry to say most likely a MDT) to hit the road for a mini-retirement with my wife and 7yr old twins.

Edited by Marc

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All,

I’ve lurked on many RV forums for some time now, but none of them come close to this one when it comes sharing in-depth and useful knowledge. We have no firm plan yet, but my fiancé and I dream of extended RV travel and possible full-timing. My seasonal business allows us the time and will, with any luck, soon provide the income.

Currently, the HDT alternative is the most attractive to me, but I have not ruled out MH or MDT. The Love of my life will probably need some convincing before she climbs aboard a Class 8 truck. So, I had better be prepared to answer all objections.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Terry

• 2 weeks later...

Been lurkin here I have a 41' forest river toy hauler with a 1 ton dually chevy duramax. I am on the road a lot for work and take my bike with me so I am looking for a HDT and will be upgrading soon to a drv 43' as they are the only ones I have found with a floor plan I like (have a 4 year old) want a bedroom in the rear for him. What do y'all think about a used ryder already singled? The prices are right and they have all of the maint. records on them.

Edited by BillFjr

Been lurkin here I have a 41' forest river toy hauler with a 1 ton dually chevy duramax. I am on the road a lot for work and take my bike with me so I am looking for a HDT and will be upgrading soon to a drv 43' as they are the only ones I have found with a floor plan I like (have a 4 year old) want a bedroom in the rear for him. What do y'all think about a used ryder already singled? The prices are right and they have all of the maint. records on them.

I have a former Ryder truck for the farm. (2000 CH 613 Mack day cab) So far, after 3 years of neglect and abuse, the only problem has been a failed window mechanism. The truck had 828k on the clock when I got it, runs great, rides nice. Complete records convinced me to buy it.

That said, I purchased our Volvo from a Volvo dealer. Ryder mostly has cheaper trucks with more miles, and for a travelling vehicle, I wanted something a little nicer. Came close to buying a '05 Freightliner single axle from ryder cincinnati though.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

I have a former Ryder truck for the farm. (2000 CH 613 Mack day cab) So far, after 3 years of neglect and abuse, the only problem has been a failed window mechanism. The truck had 828k on the clock when I got it, runs great, rides nice. Complete records convinced me to buy it.

That said, I purchased our Volvo from a Volvo dealer. Ryder mostly has cheaper trucks with more miles, and for a travelling vehicle, I wanted something a little nicer. Came close to buying a '05 Freightliner single axle from ryder cincinnati though.

Thanks for the reply this is the info I am looking for I guess comfort is the best thing as I am on the road most of the time.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, so my name is Miguel Garcia, AKA Tex. I am owner of Expert Equipment Rentals, Inc. I have been RVing since I was a kid. I have been using my class 8 day cabs to tow my Toy hauler for some time now. I am looking to convert a used long haul truck for pulling the toy hauler. Hoping I can get some ideas from others.

So I am kinda spoiled. I have a small fleet of Freightliner tractors and roll backs (some Fords). I always order my trucks with big power. My class 8s run C-15 & C-16 @600hp with 18 speeds. I know for RVing a C-12 @430hp will do just fine. I might even go lazy and do an autoshift or full automatic.

Although I have a welder and a shop I don't think I will be doing all the fab work. With the economy slowing we recently moved into a smaller location and we really cant spare the room. So I hope to find people hat have rigs similar to what I want to do. I also hope to get to see some creative ideas that are out there.

I do have some design parameters for my rig when done:

1. I want to load some quads between the trailer and the sleeper. So the ability to side load is a must.

2. I plan on using a large inverter and a minimum of eight 6 volt batteries. If I find a truck with an APU then I may go that way.

3. I camp way off the beat & path so I plan on using a locker rear end and run supper singles out back..

4. I want to mount a large tank from an air compressor that I can fill by using the trailer supply valve.

There are other things. But, that's the main plan.

I hope for everything I learn here I can also be an asset to others. I have a fleet of about 30 vehicles. I order them to my spacific needs. So I am familuar with meny specs or I know where to find information on trucks. I am also familiar with California vehicle code, motor carrier requirements and permitting.

I'm looking forward to getting to interact with some of y'all.

Tex

post-9615-1288452549_thumb.jpg

Myself, the Wife, & 1 kid

Vortex toy hauler

lots of toys

Freightliner FLD120 Cat C-16 600hp/2050tq :)

My facebook

• 4 weeks later...

Well I am a newbie to this concept, but not to driving Class 8's. Once I saw my first conversion done by a member to pull his fiver I was hooked and my decision to go this route is a done deal. Just spending a lot of time right now doing all my research, truck model, legal issues, bed type etc. I already have a 40' toyhauler that I pull with a pickup. Okay on pulling power, stopping safely( yeh right ). It will take me quite some time to absord all this wealth of information. I even plan to attend a rally in the future to meet some of you. I plan to do most of the work myself such as bed build, interior work, and farm out certain items. This will be my labor of love. Heck I may even name it that when done if no one else has that name. Anyway just wanted to say Hi to everyone, please bear with me as I am not too great when it comes to computers, so if I get lost and post in the wrong places, PLEASE tell me. That's the only way I'll know. Don't ever worry about hurting my feelers. I'm learning like others. Well time to get back to my research. jeff

2003 2500 HD Crew Cab 8.1 Allison

2009 Americamp Trailboss Toyhauler 40' fifth wheel

2008 Harley Lowrider

3 atv's

And two great grandkids to spoil

Hi Jeff, I did about the same thing as you are planning about 6 or 7 years ago. I didn't know about this forum when I started so you are ahead of me already. I made a mistake on my first truck and sold it after I singled it because I just didn't like the truck. I built the bed on my current truck and I really like this truck. It meets our needs and I believe you can build a truck that meets your needs. The info on this forum is very helpful and had I known about it first I probably would not have made the mistake I did. Good luck and if you have any questions just ask there are some very knowledgeable people here.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

Hello folks,,,,,after bringing my new 5th wheel home from 800 miles away to it's new home in N. Texas with my 04 3500 Ram Cummins Dually, I new there had to be a better way ! The Ram is a great truck,,,,,just not enough truck when your load is more than double the weight of the truck ! I immediately started looking into class 4 and 5 trucks and quickly found out that yes,,,,,you'll have better brakes, more robust chassis, more fuel, etc., but as far as the numbers (GCWR, power, gearing, etc) you're really not a whole lot better off. Certainly not when you look at the cost of the truck and the additional issues you create graduating to one of these trucks. You create insurance issues, larger footprint of the vehicle, etc, etc (I know I'm preaching to the choir). Somehow, in my search for answers, I stumbled across this website and forum,,,,,wow,,,,,it's HDT for me, I see the light ! But I can see this is not an "overnite" process and decision. I imagine I'll be talking to a few of you folks in the coming weeks in an effort to make an informed decision(I'm thinking probably a Volvo 630 0r 610). I'd also like to thank all of you that have been active on this forum for being so generous in sharing your knowledge and experiences in owning and operating a Heavy Duty Truck. The insight ya'll provide is invaluable to someone like me that's considering going down this road. Thanks, and travel safe !

2008 Newmar X-Aire 40

2004 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins

2000 120" Electra Glide

Titanium Sampson Kalispell 9 speed Dura-Ace

Hello folks,,,,,after bringing my new 5th wheel home from 800 miles away to it's new home in N. Texas with my 04 3500 Ram Cummins Dually, I new there had to be a better way ! The Ram is a great truck,,,,,just not enough truck when your load is more than double the weight of the truck ! I immediately started looking into class 4 and 5 trucks and quickly found out that yes,,,,,you'll have better brakes, more robust chassis, more fuel, etc., but as far as the numbers (GCWR, power, gearing, etc) you're really not a whole lot better off. Certainly not when you look at the cost of the truck and the additional issues you create graduating to one of these trucks. You create insurance issues, larger footprint of the vehicle, etc, etc (I know I'm preaching to the choir). Somehow, in my search for answers, I stumbled across this website and forum,,,,,wow,,,,,it's HDT for me, I see the light ! But I can see this is not an "overnite" process and decision. I imagine I'll be talking to a few of you folks in the coming weeks in an effort to make an informed decision(I'm thinking probably a Volvo 630 0r 610). I'd also like to thank all of you that have been active on this forum for being so generous in sharing your knowledge and experiences in owning and operating a Heavy Duty Truck. The insight ya'll provide is invaluable to someone like me that's considering going down this road. Thanks, and travel safe !

Ah, the power of the Dark Side, there goes another convert, no longer persuaded by the "high priests" of Detroit and their minions in the marketing and advertising departments.

Welcome to the forum.

hjs

Welcome, ask away, that's what I did and it worked :huh:

J&V with Edina (RIP), the wonder dobie and
Net Proceeds our 2005 Volvo VNL630 256" WB. Focus SVT on the back, in the garage. ET Hitch controlling the articulation. Jackalopee controlling the 'juice'. 2002 Teton 39' Grand Sundance
All still a work in progress.
Photos and comments at http://gallery.ournetproceeds.com

• 5 weeks later...

I have been lurking for a couple of years, and have read the resource guide. I have contacted trucksaledave and am starting to look for a truck to pull my fiver. I know what I want - but as I told dave it will come down to what I can afford. But the search is underway, with the DW signed on so we will see where it leads. I am diligently searching truckpaper, watching the forums, and have a couple of friends who are owner operators and are keeping an eye open for that good truck. We live in Oregon and currently tow our Raptor 5th wheel with our Chev Silverado 2500HD. I have no complaints but I know I am at my max, and if I was doing a lot to travelling wouldn't want to haul all the time with the Chev, besides my wife says she wants her truck back adn the 5th wheel hitch gone out of the back. We still work - I have about 3 years to do, but will never full time. We show dogs and the fifth wheel is used for those dog show get aways. We are in Oregon.

rider10099

Oregon

2001 Volvo 610 ved12 engine and autoshift

3612 Keystone Raptor

https://picasaweb.google.com/johnrowton/HDT...922315348539106

I have been on this site quite a number of times for the last couple years and I enjoy reading and learning about everybody's rigs. I have been rving with my boys for the last 8 years starting with a worn out pop up and moving through the different types hoping to find the perfect rig for us. I have tried class a, fifth wheel, and even built my own custom toy hauler consisting of a 36 foot gooseneck trailer with a truck camper mounted on the front! I currently have an International Toterhome that I pull our toys behind on a 24 foot gooseneck lowboy. It works out pretty good, but I am considering moving up and building a Pete and pulling a toyhauler. I have two boys and will be getting married this summer to a wonderful woman with 4 kids of her own! :lol: Needless to say, our needs are gonna change slightly! I look forward to the build and all the great info on here! Jeremy.