Attention Visitors and Lurkers - Please Read and Respond to this Request

dieseldan

Welcome, Jim!

As you already know, you've discovered a place where you'll find a wealth of knowledge about the style of RVing that you're pursuing.

Mark and Jack are extremely knowledgeable, and you'll find the to be quite helpful, no doubt, as will many of the others here. Don't hesitate to ask questions.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

• Replies 901
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome, Jim!

As you already know, you've discovered a place where you'll find a wealth of knowledge about the style of RVing that you're pursuing.

Mark and Jack are extremely knowledgeable, and you'll find the to be quite helpful, no doubt, as will many of the others here. Don't hesitate to ask questions.

Thanks Phil, for making me feel so welcome. I already recieved very thorough responses from both gentelmen to my questions. I look forward to the great education I am going to get on this forum.

Jim

fbcover2.jpg

Fulltiming, Class of 2013

2001 Volvo VNL 610 with Smart Hauler Bed (FOOTLOOSE)

2012 Smart 4 Two (FANCY-FREE)

2004 Newmar Mountain Aire with Motorcycle Lift (LEADFOOT)

2013 Harley Davidson Road Glide Ultra (LIGHTFOOT)

"Submarines Forever"

CONGRATULATIONs!!!!!

Now get yourself a PressurePro tire monintoring system like the majority of us have.....

Safety first......

Welcome!

Mike

Mike & Pat McFall SKP # 40224

2001 Volvo 770 Autoshift

2005 Teton 45' Grand Reliance

PressurePro Tire Monitor Dealer

PressurePro System

Mike and Pat's Travels

Tripod Website

Hi guys can I come in I just bought the 95 Volvo and trailer in the for sale adds going to New London Wi tomorrow to pick it up. <_<

No PM e-mail me

Rich Mader #97675 Lifetime Member

2002 Americana Cardinal 38 ft. 5th wheel 17000 lb

1995 Volvo Detroit series 60 super 10 speed Chevy Cobalt toad 78 ft long

rich@rmader.com

:( Welcome rmader....Hope you enjoy your new rig ......PICS PLS

Jim&Hazel,03 Volvo 610,425hp,10sp Autoshift,Eaton 3:90 rear,24.5Alum,184"wb,ET jr/air hitch,SafVis Cams4,XM,Press/Pro,Garmin2720,CB,Rally Sport/TS,Bigfoot Levelers,03Roadking,02Dyna Lowrider,Golden Ret in spirit,Choc Lab(Trash)..Herrin Hauler Bed..Toyota FJ ...SKP# 95463 http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2901871210078354682lLxYIz .Laissez les Bon Temps Roulez ....

• 3 weeks later...

I've been lurking on this site for a while, so to honor the request for an intro here goes. I'm currently a MDT driver, '07 Freightliner M2 from Mountain Master, pulling a '08 40' Alfa 5er. I have been looking and talking to the local Freightliner dealer about a '06 Pete that he has. I'm looking at a HDT because I want to put a ramp on the deck to haul a car. Thanks to everybody who supplies info to this site, there is a ton of info here that I have been using and plan on using a lot more.

Bob Elliott aka Vols Fan

2005 Volvo VNL 780 (Big Red)

Cummins ISX 500HP/1650FT LBS

Ultrashift, 3.42, MAX-Brake

Pressure Pro, ET Hitch, Jackalopee

2010 Scion Xd on truck

'08 40' Alfa Gold SGF38RLES

SKP#98492

Just found this site from a link on the Woodalls site. Have a 2007 Weekend Warrior FTL 4005 Toyhauler. Thought when I purchased my F350 Dually it would be big enough for any Toyhauler I could find. Have to say that was an incorrect assumption. My first trip cost me a transmission rebuild and although the other trips I have made have been problem free, I don't feel comfortable on the ride. Have been looking for a MDT since last winter while in South Florida. Finally found a couple possibilities and posted a couple questions on the Woodalls site. Happy to find this forum with discussions on both MDT and HDT. Am leaning to the HDT side. I full time spending at least 6 months in Florida and the remaining time somewhere else. The possibility of putting an enclosed vehicle on the truck is enticing.

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Rodney, you might want to give my website a look.....in the sig line.

And look at Mark Bruss's website as well....here

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I have been lurking now for a while and I finally bought a hdt. I bought an 81' Kenworth K100 with a Cat 3406 and 13 speed. I intend to haul my jeep on the back and it is already stretched which is perfect for my application. I am in the process of registering it as a motorhome and hope to finalize everything in the next few weeks.

Brian

1981 Kenworth Aerodyne cabover

Brian,

Thats my favorite engine and transmission! I like Paccar trucks too. Congratulations!

Do NOT send me a PM, Cliick HERE to email me!

In considering a truck like that you need to ask yourself just how much you enjoy meeting new people, such as tow truck drivers and heavy truck mechanics?

Or perhaps, enjoying the great outdoors, like the side of the road while waiting to meet those exciting people?

Stepping forward, out of the shadows. Been lurking around here for nearly a year, finally registered. Been following bed build stories, truck rig-up threads, and exploring member websites. Currently pulling with a 3500 Mega Cab, which is now borderline, due to a new trailer this summer. Got wife looking at HDT now, even catching some on the road before I do :) Will have some questions to ask in the future, but most have been posted, and answered already.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi to all, I am new to 5th wheel trailers. I have a new 2007 Carriage Nitro C-Force toy hauler and for the moment a 1996 F350 Dually. I have previously had very large motor homes. I was referred to this site by a member who is using a Volvo tractor with sleeper to pull his large 5th wheel trailer. I miss my air brakes, soft ride and being up higher so I can see what is ahead. I welcome any all help and information in finding a new truck to pull my toy hauler. I have a budget of about $10,000 and realize that I might be very limited. I am not sure I need a sleeper...extra room would be nice...since it is only me it is not important. Toy is a 2006 HD Ultra Fat Boy. :D

dee,

welcome to the forum! Your 10k price range is not unreasonable if you are like me and pull your sleeper behind you! Look carefully

and be sure to check out Jacks and Marks websites that are in their signature line. If I get our 5er sold I may offer up my FL for sale

if it doesn't go with the 5er and it would be close to your price range. Good Luck.

In considering a truck like that you need to ask yourself just how much you enjoy meeting new people, such as tow truck drivers and heavy truck mechanics?

Or perhaps, enjoying the great outdoors, like the side of the road while waiting to meet those exciting people?

Been lurking here for awhile now too.

My wife and I have been talking about doing this for some time now, and going through all the different ways that we could get into RV'ing like we want to.

As a truck driver, it just felt natural to me to get a rig ourselves and modify it to pull an RV.

Now my employer is talking about selling the rig I have driven for the last several years in order to upgrade and I may be in a position to purchase it from them.

It is a '00 Freightliner FLD 120 w/ 72" Condo, Cummins N14+ turned up to a little over 500hp, with an Eaton Autoshifter

If we get this the plan is to build a deck to haul a Jeep (have to sell my Burb as it's just too long to haul like that) and pull a fifth wheel in the 40ft range behind it.

The details are all swimming around in my head and occasionally I start to put it all down, but that is the general idea.

With our families all over the US and this being a "small" combo compared to what I'm used to pulling I really hope this is something we can pull off.

VisitedStatesMaptiny.jpgVacationtiny.jpgVisitedProvincesMaptiny.jpg

If it ain't broke, then I haven't fixed it yet . . .

Welcome to the Forum!

Do a search on posts from " mrsarver " and you will find a truck with a similar purpose to what you are describing. Good Luck! ;)

Thank you, very much what we had in mind.

I am a member over at Pirate so I was a little surprised to see that I had missed that build over there.

I am curious though as to how hard it is for folks with HDT's to find RV parks and places to park for extended periods.

I know that there are times when I can just back into a truck stop like I do now, but that is obviously not an ideal location.

And I am personally opposed to parking at WM or other shopping centers (been hit there too many times)

I argue a lot with RV parks, but I always win! I love being told I can't do something, really brings out the kid in me! My take on it is,

if you are proficient enough to put your combo anywhere you want it, then there is no trouble finding a place to stay. I find that most

smaller parks are set up for a 38' trailer as a BIG model and spots can be tricky. Walk first unless you can back out the way you came,

is a pretty good rule.

I seen a rig like your sig the other day on I-24 in TN, wasn't you was it?

I argue a lot with RV parks, but I always win! I love being told I can't do something, really brings out the kid in me! My take on it is,

if you are proficient enough to put your combo anywhere you want it, then there is no trouble finding a place to stay. I find that most

smaller parks are set up for a 38' trailer as a BIG model and spots can be tricky. Walk first unless you can back out the way you came,

is a pretty good rule.

I seen a rig like your sig the other day on I-24 in TN, wasn't you was it?

as to the sig, no I designed that years ago when I was recouping at home from an accident involving a HDT (got hit and I rolled)

I did quite a few more of those images at the same time, as well as did the design with a buddy in CA for the rear tube doors on Burbs and pre-92 crew cab Chevys and made a few sales of those.

Garage.gif

4wdVanandSuburban.gif

BajaDually.gif

I totally understand the putting trucks where they don't belong.

As a tour driver we go to places never designed for anything bigger than a 45' and cabover, and then we have to stick several 53' trailers with condo's into these spots . . . it brings out the kid in all of us, especially after a 10hr sprint to the next city overnight.

I asked that question then found the book online that has listings.

Edited by mskrastins

What program did you use to do those? I really like them.