Attention Visitors and Lurkers - Please Read and Respond to this Request

dieseldan

but full timing is a whole other style.

It should be a blast. I still have a long road to get there though. I have a kid in college down there in your neck of the woods at FSU. We are counting on a college football comeback, now that Bobby Bowden is retired.

Jim

fbcover2.jpg

Fulltiming, Class of 2013

2001 Volvo VNL 610 with Smart Hauler Bed (FOOTLOOSE)

2012 Smart 4 Two (FANCY-FREE)

2004 Newmar Mountain Aire with Motorcycle Lift (LEADFOOT)

2013 Harley Davidson Road Glide Ultra (LIGHTFOOT)

"Submarines Forever"

• Replies 901
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'JSaleska' Thank you so much for your service to our country and let me not overlook the sacrifice your wife and children have experience as part of the military family. We wish you all the best. Wecome to the club.

C'Anne & Larry, and The Cats, Mr. Stripey & Alley

(care giving, Strongsville, OH)

Keystone Montana 3500RL.

Trk no; HDT(?) In thinkin' about it stage.

SKIP 97357

"You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong.You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift. You cannot lift the wage earner up by pulling the wage payer down. You cannot further the brotherhood of man by inciting class hatred... You cannot build character and courage by taking away people's initiative and independence.You cannot help people permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves."

~ Abraham Lincoln

Thanks for the kind words and warm welcomes.

This is my current setup -- Maybe my little kiddy truck will grow up someday.

post-10172-1271300620_thumb.jpg

Edited by JSaleska

Jon

USAF Active Duty -- FE AC-130U

2009 Keystone Freedom Elite MK39 Fifth Wheel

2005 GMC Dually Diesel

"Thanks for the kind words and warm welcomes.

This is my current setup -- Maybe my little kiddy truck will grow up someday."

Jon, The time in-between the present and the future is the great unknowable, but a period given to flesh out the dream. Yep, understand the "grow up someday" phrase.

Semer fi.

Edited by Topwatch

C'Anne & Larry, and The Cats, Mr. Stripey & Alley

(care giving, Strongsville, OH)

Keystone Montana 3500RL.

Trk no; HDT(?) In thinkin' about it stage.

SKIP 97357

"You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong.You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift. You cannot lift the wage earner up by pulling the wage payer down. You cannot further the brotherhood of man by inciting class hatred... You cannot build character and courage by taking away people's initiative and independence.You cannot help people permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves."

~ Abraham Lincoln

Not sure if I have enough posts yet to start a thread of my own ,so Iam just tacking a quik question on to the newby thread.

I have read the FAQ's and sticky stuff on HTD's at the top of the forum and started to check out the ad's of recommened dealers but have not been able to figure out the tranmission code #?

I would not rather call or E-mail a dealer just to find out two pedal three pedal or manual.

Whats the secret?

2005 volvo 670 freedomline singled
Newmar Torrey Pine 34rsks
woot woot

Been a short time lurker looking for the proper tow vehicle. Kind of doing things backwards, cause we have purchased our home on wheels and GWVR is 16,000 and were waiting for GM to come out with the 2011's that they are beefing up with an exhaust brake, but after getting comments on other forums and reading Jack and Marks sites I'm rethinking things. Showed DW pics and she says if we're going that big we might as well get a smart to load on behind the cab. Kind of glad GM didn't have the truck out already or I'ld be stuck with a 1TCC dually diesel. Just want to be safe and have fun traveling seeing this great country.

Greg

<p>Greg and AggieLife is what happens when you're making plans to do something else !

2010 Jeep Wrangler toad

2006 Country Coach Inspire 360

Good morning,

I've been a lurker for awhile now and thought it was time to introduce myself and to say thanks to all who have shared their knowledge. We have purchased a 39' WestPointe (18000) and plan to be full time in the next couple of months. No truck yet want to go with a HD and Smart car. We just found an 02 Volvo 670 with a D12 engine. It has about 500,000 miles on it. If anyone has an opinion on this rig we would appreciate your help, having to rebuild an engine scares the _______ out of me.. I'm still in a quandry over the singling out stuff, we ran into one fellow who kept his as a tandem and loves it yet most single out. I'm not sure what the advantages are. We winter in the Rio Grande Valley, summer in Canada, and plan to see much of N America over the next 5 to 10. Love to hear from you.

Neal & Bernice Fisher

Winnipeg, MB

Canada

2001 FL Columbia (Still Tandem) with Trailer Saver Air Hitch

"Squirt" our 2008 Smart Fortwo

2010 WestPointe

http://neal-berniesexcellentadventure.blogspot.com/

Neal ...welcome to the board ...The guys that visit here can answer all your questions !!!! Maybe you should do a little reading in the resource guide at the beginning of this board While your waiting on them to get here !! :lol::( ....It is a wealth of info and will probably answer most of your questions ....again welcome to ourside of the toter world ....Jim

Jim&Hazel,03 Volvo 610,425hp,10sp Autoshift,Eaton 3:90 rear,24.5Alum,184"wb,ET jr/air hitch,SafVis Cams4,XM,Press/Pro,Garmin2720,CB,Rally Sport/TS,Bigfoot Levelers,03Roadking,02Dyna Lowrider,Golden Ret in spirit,Choc Lab(Trash)..Herrin Hauler Bed..Toyota FJ ...SKP# 95463 http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2901871210078354682lLxYIz .Laissez les Bon Temps Roulez ....

Not sure if I have enough posts yet to start a thread of my own ,so Iam just tacking a quik question on to the newby thread.

I have read the FAQ's and sticky stuff on HTD's at the top of the forum and started to check out the ad's of recommened dealers but have not been able to figure out the tranmission code #?

I would not rather call or E-mail a dealer just to find out two pedal three pedal or manual.

Whats the secret?

I think I figured it out ,if they dont say 'auto' then look at the pictures of the interior ,most have a pic of the drivers seat area.

I can even tell the differance between autoshift and freedomline now

2005 volvo 670 freedomline singled
Newmar Torrey Pine 34rsks
woot woot

Neal ...welcome to the board ...The guys that visit here can answer all your questions !!!! Maybe you should do a little reading in the resource guide at the beginning of this board While your waiting on them to get here !! :lol::( ....It is a wealth of info and will probably answer most of your questions ....again welcome to ourside of the toter world ....Jim

Thanks Jim,

Nice to hear from you. Looks like you have a place close to where we are in Pharr, TX. We've been to your park a few times to try and hunt down freinds Bonnie and Greg. They have a Volvo HD, a Seville 5r and a couple of Harleys. If I can get this HD truck thing figured out maybe we'll see you in the valley next winter. I've been searching this site for weeks and still haven't got my head wrapped aroung this HD truck stuff.

2001 FL Columbia (Still Tandem) with Trailer Saver Air Hitch

"Squirt" our 2008 Smart Fortwo

2010 WestPointe

http://neal-berniesexcellentadventure.blogspot.com/

:) Neal look forward to seeing you guys .....On the truck ..make sure its not one million five hundred thousand miles ....and do like Jack always advises ...have at least five thousand put aside for emergency funds above your conversion cost .....have the truck checked over before you buy ...preferably a VIS and a DYNO also a good prebuy inspection .... If you check it out you will be ok even if you have to fix a few minor things ..... Jim

Jim&Hazel,03 Volvo 610,425hp,10sp Autoshift,Eaton 3:90 rear,24.5Alum,184"wb,ET jr/air hitch,SafVis Cams4,XM,Press/Pro,Garmin2720,CB,Rally Sport/TS,Bigfoot Levelers,03Roadking,02Dyna Lowrider,Golden Ret in spirit,Choc Lab(Trash)..Herrin Hauler Bed..Toyota FJ ...SKP# 95463 http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2901871210078354682lLxYIz .Laissez les Bon Temps Roulez ....

• 1 month later...

Hello All,

I have been lurking on and off for about 4 years. I did a few posts under a different screen name a long time ago to get general information, but I lost that screen name due to inactivity. As we are nearing retirement and being able to make our dream a reality, I am back, this time to ask more pointed questions.

We met some very welcoming and helpful full timers at an East Coast HDT rally in Gettysburg about 3 years ago. I don't know if they would want to be identified, but one brave couple let me drive their Volvo into town and back. That experience cemented my resolve to join your ranks, and I will be eternally grateful to that forum member.

Our plan is to buy a used autoshift Volvo, put a Smart on the back, and pull a used fith wheel. We have plenty of logistics and finances to work out, but I expect to be retired and on the road within a couple years.

Jim

Volvo+and+Travel+Supreme+400+x+103.jpg

2001 Volvo 770, Detroit 60 Series, Gen 2 Autoshift

Passenger assist elevator to enter cab - for when we need it, or sell it?

'05 Travel Supreme Select 40 RLQSO 5th wheel

2016 smart car

We started full timing on December 1st 2014

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness - Mark Twain
Not all that wander are lost - J. R. R. Tolkien

Welcome back Jim. It sounds like you and I are thinking alike. I should be a year or two behind you, with a similar rig. Robin and I snuck out of upstate New York just ahead of an Irate Posse a few mponths ago. No plans on my part to go back, with the possible exception of fall foilage and snowboarding trips. I had the chance to go to the ECR this year and had a blast as well. Again, Welcome back!

fbcover2.jpg

Fulltiming, Class of 2013

2001 Volvo VNL 610 with Smart Hauler Bed (FOOTLOOSE)

2012 Smart 4 Two (FANCY-FREE)

2004 Newmar Mountain Aire with Motorcycle Lift (LEADFOOT)

2013 Harley Davidson Road Glide Ultra (LIGHTFOOT)

"Submarines Forever"

Guest hjsdds
Hello All,

I have been lurking on and off for about 4 years. I did a few posts under a different screen name a long time ago to get general information, but I lost that screen name due to inactivity. As we are nearing retirement and being able to make our dream a reality, I am back, this time to ask more pointed questions.

We met some very welcoming and helpful full timers at an East Coast HDT rally in Gettysburg about 3 years ago. I don't know if they would want to be identified, but one brave couple let me drive their Volvo into town and back. That experience cemented my resolve to join your ranks, and I will be eternally grateful to that forum member.

Our plan is to buy a used autoshift Volvo, put a Smart on the back, and pull a used fith wheel. We have plenty of logistics and finances to work out, but I expect to be retired and on the road within a couple years.

Jim

You didn't know it at the time but it was all a deliberate "setup". We let you drive the truck (because you can't hurt it no matter what you do), during the drive you get "infected" and the next thing you know you are a "gonner" to the dark side. Once infected it's incurable, the only difference being the incubation time before the infection takes hold completely.

hjs

The infection was complete. Our intent to go to the dark side has not wavered since Gettysburg. It’s just a question of when. Thanks Henry!

Volvo+and+Travel+Supreme+400+x+103.jpg

2001 Volvo 770, Detroit 60 Series, Gen 2 Autoshift

Passenger assist elevator to enter cab - for when we need it, or sell it?

'05 Travel Supreme Select 40 RLQSO 5th wheel

2016 smart car

We started full timing on December 1st 2014

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness - Mark Twain
Not all that wander are lost - J. R. R. Tolkien

I have been lurking for several months now and after our last trip my DW and I have decided that moving up to a HDT is the right move for us. We are thing that a HDT with a large sleeper to be able to use as a camper when we don't have the 5th wheel and would like to take the boat along. Thanks to all that have made this a great site.

Mike, Suzan and Boomer too

1999 Volvo 770 "Devil Dog", Detroit 60, Auto Shift.

ET Hitch, ET Jackalopee, Pressure Pro, Max Brake

2004 Mobile Suites 36CK3

Semper Fi

Mike and Susan,,

Ours would sure fit the bill!! It isn't offically up for sale yet,,,just unoffically. Here is a link to it and the Volvo on my Blog published today...

http://mikepatstravels.blogspot.com/

Mike & Pat McFall SKP # 40224

2001 Volvo 770 Autoshift

2005 Teton 45' Grand Reliance

PressurePro Tire Monitor Dealer

PressurePro System

Mike and Pat's Travels

Tripod Website

Mike & Pats Teton is a GREAT rig. If we had not just bought our New Horizons I would be talking about buying their Teton. I have been in it MANY times, and it is just wonderful, and nicely appointed.

This Teton is one of the finest fulltiming rigs ever built. IMO.

Edited by Jack Mayer

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Mike & Pat your truck looks great but it is to tall for where I will be parking it. I need it to be able to fit in a 12' garage door. Thanks for the thought. I am making plans for the HDT Rally in October for info and ideas.

Edited by MCraven210

Mike, Suzan and Boomer too

1999 Volvo 770 "Devil Dog", Detroit 60, Auto Shift.

ET Hitch, ET Jackalopee, Pressure Pro, Max Brake

2004 Mobile Suites 36CK3

Semper Fi

• 3 weeks later...

After driving big trucks over the road for a couple of years there was not much of a decision to make when it came to a truck to pull a 5th wheel RV. Only decision was what brand of 5th wheel rv to get. A tour of the Teton Homes plant had me hooked. That happened in 1999 while researching different rv lifestyles. However, a salesman at a RV dealership changed my mind from a 5th wheel to a diesel pusher motorhome. I have missed having the room a 5th wheel offers so. . . this past January I purchased a 39' Teton with intentions of leaving it parked on site in Quartzsite, AZ. Two weeks after that purchase I started looking for a Volvo VNL770. Many hous of searching the Internet followed. Some results brought me to this forum. I did find a nice VNL770 on this forum but could not get to an agreed to price. This past week I made a good find on a 2000 Volvo VNL770 with only 280,000 actual miles. It is now mine.

Now I will be looking for ideas on what I should do to the truck. I will change the title from a class 8 truck to a motorhome. Checking with North Dakota's DOT it is a very easy process. I have talked to a custom truck builder and will be building a deck to cover the entire rear frame and will include full wrap fenders.

Rockndakota

Guest hjsdds
After driving big trucks over the road for a couple of years there was not much of a decision to make when it came to a truck to pull a 5th wheel RV. Only decision was what brand of 5th wheel rv to get. A tour of the Teton Homes plant had me hooked. That happened in 1999 while researching different rv lifestyles. However, a salesman at a RV dealership changed my mind from a 5th wheel to a diesel pusher motorhome. I have missed having the room a 5th wheel offers so. . . this past January I purchased a 39' Teton with intentions of leaving it parked on site in Quartzsite, AZ. Two weeks after that purchase I started looking for a Volvo VNL770. Many hous of searching the Internet followed. Some results brought me to this forum. I did find a nice VNL770 on this forum but could not get to an agreed to price. This past week I made a good find on a 2000 Volvo VNL770 with only 280,000 actual miles. It is now mine.

Now I will be looking for ideas on what I should do to the truck. I will change the title from a class 8 truck to a motorhome. Checking with North Dakota's DOT it is a very easy process. I have talked to a custom truck builder and will be building a deck to cover the entire rear frame and will include full wrap fenders.

Welcome to the "dark side". Doesn't sound like you ever were part of the class A, nose stuck in the air crowd. You'll feel much more welcome here. What are you thoughts on the deck, length, storage, hitch, etc?

hjs

Have lurked for several months and recently bought an HDT for work. Plan on working for a few more years and then retiring to the RV lifestyle full-time. As you can see by my avatar, GG is a 2004 Volvo 780. She has an ISX 530hp engine with a 13 speed transmission. She is equipped with a microwave, refrigerator, and double bunks. As a truck driver I cannot understand how the manufacturers overlooked the need for a potty but, I plan to correct for this ommision toot sweet.

My wife and I like the idea of traveling the country seeing things that as a truck driver I only get to see the signs for. I can't imagine doing it any safer than in an HDT.

Looking forward to learning from your experience and adding whatever I can to the forum. Feel free to email me anytime.

Mark

Mark & Jackie

Visalia, CA

USAF Ret

2011 Smart convertible

2014 Trilogy 3650 RE

2004 Volvo VNL780

Cummins ISX 530

13 speed

Welcome to the forum Mark. Great looking truck!

As you know, there is a lot of great info here. But don't forget to give us your input also. A lot of us would like to hear more from the OTR guys.

Have fun,

Edited by HERO Maker

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

hello everyone , im ted , i currently have a class A diesel pusher and love to travel , im a youngin , only 28 and really like to get around . im into drag racing hence the user name ... im also interested in Hdt's and looking at maybe building my own since i own a fabrication shop here in pa but im probably going to go toterhome style since i also need to tow a race car trailer . so hopefully i came to the right place and can meet alot of new people .

thanks

ted

Edited by camaroboy8691

Hello all; back after a year. I am presently working at Oak Ridge National Labs and on site most weeks, so no time for travel. We havea 36" fifth pulled by a 1989 International Cabover, 9spd direct, 855 Cummins 350HP. The truck was bought originally with spring suspension-big mistake. I converted it to air with a rather large ping tank, and the ride now is better than our F-250. Although not as luxurious as most rigs mentioned here, it gets the job done. Like others, I'll never go back-just being able to stop and pull hills is well worth it. Thanks for all the great information...

Tom & Dianne Blackwell

92 Alumalite 36' Fifth wheel

89 International 9670