Attention Visitors and Lurkers - Please Read and Respond to this Request

dieseldan

I have been on this site quite a number of times for the last couple years and I enjoy reading and learning about everybody's rigs. I have been rving with my boys for the last 8 years starting with a worn out pop up and moving through the different types hoping to find the perfect rig for us. I have tried class a, fifth wheel, and even built my own custom toy hauler consisting of a 36 foot gooseneck trailer with a truck camper mounted on the front! I currently have an International Toterhome that I pull our toys behind on a 24 foot gooseneck lowboy. It works out pretty good, but I am considering moving up and building a Pete and pulling a toyhauler. I have two boys and will be getting married this summer to a wonderful woman with 4 kids of her own! :) Needless to say, our needs are gonna change slightly! I look forward to the build and all the great info on here! Jeremy.

Welcome to the forum, "doers" are particularly appreciated here!

hjs

• Replies 901
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First post on this site, have been lurking for a little while.

Took delivery of a 2010 Chariot Dominator on the 23rd of December, Merry Christmas to me. :lol: Traded in a Monaco Knight because it was was under powered. Well, I got the power now 515 horses doing the pulling.

Looks like most of you guys are pulling fifth wheels, but us motorhomes are coming on strong. Will post a better picture as my avatar once we get truck in some pretty scenery.

I have learned a lot from this site and hope to learn more as time goes on.

Unfortunately I still have to work for a living, so I take trips rather than on the road all the time. I hope to fulltime or almost fulltime in 5 years. Can just dream now.

Carsten

2010 Chariot Dominator

2008 Hybrid Escape as towed

Carsten, welcome to the forum, you can bring that Dominator anytime to our rallies. You must have been really good for Santa to deliver it, I wonder how many reindeer he used.

hjs

Hello all, Donald some call me "Big D" (after the capital letter of my first name, also a radio nicname, plus I am about 215lbs) here from Sierra Vista AZ.

Yup I have been "lurking", mostly for information (which I have found a lot of), and I decided to join.

I am 42 years old, and we are about to have the home paid for in a few more years (2-3), so naturally we are looking at doing the American Dream thing. We sold our Winnebago Adventurer 38' (about 1 1/2 years ago) mostly because we wanted to upgrade to a 40' Diesel Pusher, but I really have to admit, I am starting to give a very hard look at a 5th wheel and a Class 8 HDT to pull it with. We won't be buying until the house is paid for mostly because we are throwing every extra penny into getting the home paid for. We love to see the ballance come down every month, we started with a 15 yr loan and are 5 into it and almost done!!!!!

Then, it's play time :(

We have decided to start looking now so that when we go and sign on the line, we know exactly what we want, and because we have no other bills, we can pay it off rather quickly, and well, I think you can see where this is going.

I am not really a stranger to the RV world having owned a Class a as I stated above, and I also used to sell campground memberships for CCC and RPI about 15 years ago, but I would say I still have a lot to learn. I am one of those guys that knows you can always learn something new, and so here I am.

Hope to make some good new friends, and maybe we can hook up on the road in a few years!!!!

Regards,

Donald AKA "D"

Donald, Ruth, and Tina

2015 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Cummins Dually

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all! We are still 6-8 yrs from "retirement", but we're lurking now to save money when the time comes. That and to keep the dream alive. We have already learned tons - thank you all! We do have a question that we would appreciate opinions on: what do you think of aftermarket sleepers/condos? In searching for a truck, finding the "right" one looks to be a challenge. It seems like just adding a custom condo would be easier than finding a truck with all the right stuff up front - but somehow I suspect it isn't that simple..

Looking forward to meeting you all at a campfire,

Kathie and Garth, Aloha, OR (for now)

Hi all! We are still 6-8 yrs from "retirement", but we're lurking now to save money when the time comes. That and to keep the dream alive. We have already learned tons - thank you all! We do have a question that we would appreciate opinions on: what do you think of aftermarket sleepers/condos? In searching for a truck, finding the "right" one looks to be a challenge. It seems like just adding a custom condo would be easier than finding a truck with all the right stuff up front - but somehow I suspect it isn't that simple..

Looking forward to meeting you all at a campfire,

Kathie and Garth, Aloha, OR (for now)

Aftermarket sleeper/condos are getting rarer and rarer. The "big trucks" have now unitized sleeper condos that are so well equipped and so well laid out that it's hard to justify a custom condo. You actually see more of them now on the smaller "expediter trucks" that operate with two drivers for that 24 hour delivery schedule. Custom condos are nice, but we've been traveling in a "truck condo" for over 5 years and we don't feel that we needed "something bigger" throughout our travels.

hjs

Also with Aero trucks the Cab and Sleeper are one unit. So it is not quite as simple to add a sleeper unless you are looking at something like a 379 Pete or W900 or such.

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL

Greetings All,

First post here. I am TRYING to find a way to legally register a "Toterhome" in Florida.

More specifically:

I want to purchase from government surplus a military 18 wheeler tractor, install a sleeper, APU, (A/C, Heat, 110vac) small fridge, microwave, bed and get it registered in FL as a RV.

No 5th wheel plate, no problm registering, but according to FL rules if it has a 5th wheel plate then it is a commercial vehicle ($1,000+ per year) by weight but if it is a RV only $76/year no weight issue.

In addition to the annual fee of course are all the issues with fuel and tax decals. I'll have a CLD/medical in a few weeks so that is not at issue but of course the RV needs no CDL and the commercial truck may or may not depending on how you interpret the FL. law.

Interestingly enough, FL rules also state that if it is registered (As an RV) in another state then the FL. registration will read the same as how the previous state had the registration. So if I bought it already converted and registered as a RV from somebody out of state, no problem. I just can not buy it, covert it and register it for the first time here in FL. How messed up is that?

NOTE: Just FYI to give a better picture of what I want/need: I need a truck with 6 wheel drive and Detroit lockers in both rear axles. I'll also have a 45,000 pound winch mounted on the front and one on the back right behind the sleeper or in the rear of the frame behind/under the 5th wheel plate. Both winches will be hydraulic and powered from a transmission or transfer case PTO pump. The vehicle will need to be able to ford 30" of water and operate on roads resembling Forrest Service and logging access roads in Alaska and South America. I have considered a civilian truck and converting it to 6x6 but the expense of that is far more than just getting an already equipped surplus military vehicle.

I'll be searching this site for any and all info to help with this project.

Edited by Old Man 99

Oh my, Scrap! It BEAUTIFUL! :(

Do NOT send me a PM, Cliick HERE to email me!

In considering a truck like that you need to ask yourself just how much you enjoy meeting new people, such as tow truck drivers and heavy truck mechanics?

Or perhaps, enjoying the great outdoors, like the side of the road while waiting to meet those exciting people?

Now that's a boom truck! :(

J&V with Edina (RIP), the wonder dobie and
Net Proceeds our 2005 Volvo VNL630 256" WB. Focus SVT on the back, in the garage. ET Hitch controlling the articulation. Jackalopee controlling the 'juice'. 2002 Teton 39' Grand Sundance
All still a work in progress.
Photos and comments at http://gallery.ournetproceeds.com

• 1 month later...

Hi All! We are OTR truck drivers for a major company. Own our own 07 Peterbilt 387. Interested in full-timing of sorts. Summers in Maine on our land, winters somewhere warmer in our Carriage Cameo 35SKQ. We will be using our Big Truck to haul are "new" home. I was told by a fellow forum friend to check out this site. It's a whole new world out here. Didn't even know what MDT and HDT meant! :( Learning a lot and having fun.

Had a question about weigh stations and whether to by-pass when hauling our trailer off duty. Someone suggested covering over DOT number and put "Not for Hire". That would keep the DOT off our back. Don't want to get them mad .

Thx

Putt-Putt

Jim & Cindy Patrick SKP 109067

'06 Carriage Cameo LXI 35SKQ

"Live with no excuses, love with no regrets. Laugh a lot and leave this life with nothing left unsaid.

Make this world a better place. Don't be afraid to cry. And when it's finally time to say good-bye

there's nothing to prove, nothing to lose, nothing to hide." -Phillips, Craig and Dean

Traveling journals at http://www.mytripjou...om/patricksLIHA

Hi all, Dale here. Really enjoy reading about all the adventures and projects here, as I have been lurking for a while. I currently don't have a HDT and am reasonably happy with the MDT for our present situation (still part time). You have caught my attention though. I have had construction type HDT's (mostly Macks and FL) in the past and have helped my buddy with his adventures in modifying 2 different Freightliners for RV use.

As for my background, I am an engineer even though I still struggle to spell it after working as one for nearly 30 years. When I say engineer it is really more of a practical application kind of guy in my case, in the power generation equipment repair business. So, we get to play with all the cool toys from large machine tools to heavy duty welding and in a lot of cases a combination of the two.

Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself and say thanks for all the thought provoking entertainment.

2005 Country Coach Inspire

Purchased a pre-owned '99 Teton Grand over a year ago and had nothing to pull it with. Late last summer I found a FLD120 on this forum and purchased it. I have yet to pull the Teton, but in April I will be pulling it to North Dakota for the summer. Perhaps I will make it to the HDT rally in October. I have been a full time traveler since 2001 using a 40' pusher motor home. Since I seem to set for a full season in one place, a 5ver seemed better suited to our needs.

Rockndakota

First post on this site, have been lurking for a little while.

Took delivery of a 2010 Chariot Dominator on the 23rd of December, Merry Christmas to me. ;) Traded in a Monaco Knight because it was was under powered. Well, I got the power now 515 horses doing the pulling.

Looks like most of you guys are pulling fifth wheels, but us motorhomes are coming on strong. Will post a better picture as my avatar once we get truck in some pretty scenery.

I have learned a lot from this site and hope to learn more as time goes on.

Unfortunately I still have to work for a living, so I take trips rather than on the road all the time. I hope to fulltime or almost fulltime in 5 years. Can just dream now.

Carsten

Yay, another t/c! Wow, those Chariot's are very nice. I looked at one somewhat seriously before finding my t/c. You should think about the coming to the www.hdtrally.com in October. We went last year and had a wonderful time. Lots of cool trucks and people there. We're likely to go again this year but haven't firmed it up yet. Would be nice to have another t/c there for some backup.

'03 United Specialties truck conversion, Freightliner FL112, Cat C12, 10 sp Autoshift, 295" w/b, 26' living quarters.

St. Paul, MN

www.bobwinsor.com

Greetings All,

First post here. I am TRYING to find a way to legally register a "Toterhome" in Florida.

More specifically:

I want to purchase from government surplus a military 18 wheeler tractor, install a sleeper, APU, (A/C, Heat, 110vac) small fridge, microwave, bed and get it registered in FL as a RV.

No 5th wheel plate, no problm registering, but according to FL rules if it has a 5th wheel plate then it is a commercial vehicle ($1,000+ per year) by weight but if it is a RV only $76/year no weight issue.

In addition to the annual fee of course are all the issues with fuel and tax decals. I'll have a CLD/medical in a few weeks so that is not at issue but of course the RV needs no CDL and the commercial truck may or may not depending on how you interpret the FL. law.

Interestingly enough, FL rules also state that if it is registered (As an RV) in another state then the FL. registration will read the same as how the previous state had the registration. So if I bought it already converted and registered as a RV from somebody out of state, no problem. I just can not buy it, covert it and register it for the first time here in FL. How messed up is that?

NOTE: Just FYI to give a better picture of what I want/need: I need a truck with 6 wheel drive and Detroit lockers in both rear axles. I'll also have a 45,000 pound winch mounted on the front and one on the back right behind the sleeper or in the rear of the frame behind/under the 5th wheel plate. Both winches will be hydraulic and powered from a transmission or transfer case PTO pump. The vehicle will need to be able to ford 30" of water and operate on roads resembling Forrest Service and logging access roads in Alaska and South America. I have considered a civilian truck and converting it to 6x6 but the expense of that is far more than just getting an already equipped surplus military vehicle.

I'll be searching this site for any and all info to help with this project.

Have you checked out www.steelsoldiers.com ?

'03 United Specialties truck conversion, Freightliner FL112, Cat C12, 10 sp Autoshift, 295" w/b, 26' living quarters.

St. Paul, MN

www.bobwinsor.com

Hello everyone. I was just retired from the Army so my wife, and I decided this was a good time to take my 7 year old son and see the Country. We are home schooling using the curriculum from Calvert (a nationally accredited home schooling program). We figure we can teach him through this part of elmentary school, and the experience will be unmatched by any classroom learning. We will be traveling with a 90 pound retriever and a 50 pound (and growing) boxer. WE will be full timing until we feel like stopping.

We have looked at class A's and most don't have a permanent 3rd bed or the bunks are right next to the master. We still enjoy privacy from time to time. We would need a big C to fit us all and not drive each other crazy. It seems to me that a truck conversion gives the best value. It will give a longer service life, it will easily tow our '95 Jeep Wrangler, or any other vehicle we choose, and it will have more available capacity for our "stuff".

We are in the planning stage and shopping for a rig/builder that can work with us. We need a solid build, but do not need fancy luxury. We hope to work out the right vehicle on the right budget. We will need to set it up for frequent dry camping and boondocking.

I am looking forward to learning as much as I can from those who have already "been there, done that". I am open to suggestions and nothing in our plan is set in stone.

Thanks

Bill

Hello everyone. I was just retired from the Army so my wife, and I decided this was a good time to take my 7 year old son and see the Country. We are home schooling using the curriculum from Calvert (a nationally accredited home schooling program). We figure we can teach him through this part of elmentary school, and the experience will be unmatched by any classroom learning. We will be traveling with a 90 pound retriever and a 50 pound (and growing) boxer. WE will be full timing until we feel like stopping.

We have looked at class A's and most don't have a permanent 3rd bed or the bunks are right next to the master. We still enjoy privacy from time to time. We would need a big C to fit us all and not drive each other crazy. It seems to me that a truck conversion gives the best value. It will give a longer service life, it will easily tow our '95 Jeep Wrangler, or any other vehicle we choose, and it will have more available capacity for our "stuff".

We are in the planning stage and shopping for a rig/builder that can work with us. We need a solid build, but do not need fancy luxury. We hope to work out the right vehicle on the right budget. We will need to set it up for frequent dry camping and boondocking.

I am looking forward to learning as much as I can from those who have already "been there, done that". I am open to suggestions and nothing in our plan is set in stone.

Thanks

Bill

I'll second that. A t/c is a great platform for a motorhome. There are lots of them available in the used market, you just need to know how to search for them since most of the "regular" rv dealers don't deal in t/c's. That sounds like a great adventure. A good friend did something similar with their 3 kids. They created a web site and kept us all up to date: http://www.fieldtripusa.net/ Maybe take a look at their site and see if any info can be of help to you. Their kids were slightly older at the time but they still have a pretty good site up on it.

Thanks Bill B! Ya, I never felt threatened at the HDT rally. Great people. We didn't make it to the space museum. For sure that's tops on our list if we go back this year.

St. Paul, MN

www.bobwinsor.com

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Leadfoot

Well said Vulve'! - [Honest man!]

Don't want to stir anybody up here - especially

since I fall into the "newbie" classification

(is that a class 7 or 8?) - but I have seen the same stuff - and figured don't want to go there!!!

Kinda like walking into somebody else's house for the first time and telling 'em you don't like the wallpaper.

So it HAS been good to just "Lurk-N-Learn" and

stay off the keyboard - and out of the

quicksand!

Figured when I get to meaningful questions, I'll wade in . . . . with my M/C helmet on!

JC

I've been Lurking a long, long time - only recently "signed on" to the forums.

Thought I would browse this thread again - as "I are they" (they are me?)

I see one of the lurkers says he is/was a lurker for 6 years (with a post date in 2007) - Wow!!

Got me beat. (Think I started lurking arond 2004).

The reason, I called up this particular post (and the one preceeding it) - -

it kind of reminds me of "StraightTimeStirrips" (sp?) recent questions/topics.

Used to see many posts by 10-9jc - - seemed to be a very mellow fellow.

Appears to be posts totaling over a thousand - - but "banned" ??

In cahoots with Larry Z or what?

Keeps us HDT lurkers hovering in the shadows - like Lamont Cranston ("The Shadow") , LOL!

LF

• 3 weeks later...

We have been "lurking/learning" for about 8-9 months now. We are total newbies who hope to be full time starting August 1st. BTW, we just recently bought Dennis Wilkins rig and are trying to learn to drive it, register it, live in it, etc., etc. But know we will love it!

Susan

HI to all. First post and hope not to be the last. The plan is to go full timing with in the year and would like to know how to determine what the price should be for a used RV unit? I'm planning on a 5'er and an HDT. I have been to the HDT forum and will return for more good info. Can anyone direct me to a discussion of the pros and cons of the various makes and models of the HDT's and double versus single axels? Thanks, hope to meet up with the my fellow Escapees soon! Pass-N-By

Take a look at my website for the single/tanden discussion. Also on the trucks. Link in sig. Welcome to the forum..... :)

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

We are no longer lurkers we are the proud owners of a 2007 VOLVO 780 with 10 speed 3 pedal automatic, fridge, inverter and a tri-pac apu. We will start on the build of our rear deck soon and hope to at least take a trip to the mountains next month even if our deck is not done. Picked it up in Portland OR and drove it home to Las Vegas and it ran like a champ. This is a great site and the HHRVRESOURCE site has endless info on people that are doing the same thing that most of us have been thinking about. I like knowing I am not the only "crazy" guy that wants a full size tractor to tow a trailer.