Registering a HDT as a RV in Texas

Criseng

Good Morning 

I am brand new here but have been lurking for some time.  I purchased a GD Momentum 410TH, and its dry weight is 16,800, so I am going with a Volvo 860 as a pull rig.  I have searched up and down the interwebs and have yet to get a straight answer on how to go about converting this from a commercial rig to a private RV in Texas.  I have searched this forum and have not come up with a lot for Texas.  Is there any of you who could point me in the right direction?  

Thank you all in advance for your help.  I look forward to being part of this community. As a former long-haul driver, this seems to me like the best, safest route.

Thank you all 

Cris

1 hour ago, Criseng said:

have yet to get a straight answer

Because there isnt a straight answer.  It is so subjective to your own particular circumstances.  Gather the info available and apply what fits to your situation and make those decisions for yourself.

By looking at CL and Marketplace, even on this Forum,  frequently you may find someone that is selling their already converted HDT for a reasonable price and avoid the work associated with converting.  Then you can use that time enjoying the truck and trailer instead of working on the conversion.  The choice is all yours.

Marcel

Thanks, Rpsinc,

I was hoping to find someone here who has been through it and could help guide the process for Texas.  I am capable of fumbling through he process on my own, but that's what I love about these communities.   I'm open to any help.  But again, thank you for your response. 

Cris

Near the top of this hdt forum is a link to the heavy haulers resource guide. In that there used to be a list of requirements by state to register your truck as a motor home. Might take a little reading. Also I believe Jack Mayer used to have his unit registered in Texas. He is seldom on this site anymore but he can be found through https://rvh-lifestyles.com/services-summary/ maybe drop him an email if someone else doesn’t have more information. 

2006 Volvo VNL 430, 2006 smart cabrio cdi, 2000 Triple E Topaz 30'

There is a guy,

No really there is a guy who post here infrequently that was a Texas commercial LEO who may be able to offer some guidance for Texas.

I am in Kansas and titled my Peterbilt 387 as an RV after adding the requirment for an RV.    I think you need 4 of these to meet the statute.    I may not recall all but, cooking (micro or BBQ), food storage (fridge), sleeping, aux HVAC (rear HVAC in tractor), aux power(inverter or gen), running water, porta potty, can't think of any others?     In my case, I installed a vanity with sink, fresh and gray tank, microwave, fridge, and porta potty.    I already had an inverter, rear HVAC and sleeping quarters.   

It was an educational experience for the folks at the tag office but I did prevail.     There is a Kansas statute on-line that I followed and had a copy of on my phone, in Kansas I had to also provide a scale weight.    I had pictures on my phone and the did not ask for copies, the truck was not at the office when I registered it. 

The difficulty can range from piece of cake to hair pulling depending on who and how you present the case to.    I know there have been several folks on this forum who have registerd semi tractors as RV's in Texas.  

Edited by Steve from SoCal

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

Where in Texas do you plan on registering your Volvo?  Counties that have some experience make it a piece of cake, while other counties (or certain Assessor/Collector's offices in those counties) that have never handled a conversion will simply default to telling you that "it can't be done", even though Texas is very open-minded to the concept.  Many folks, for that reason, choose to use an Escapees address and go to Livingston County to do their registration, since they've done many of them and are familiar with the process.

Steve from SoCal has given you a good list of things that will qualify a tractor with a sleeper to register as a motorhome in Texas, and as in Kansas, you'll need four of them (unless the rules have changed).  When I did it almost fifteen years ago I took the paperwork and photographs of my truck and the qualifying items (a microwave, portapotty, refrigerator, and both the bed and the HVAC controls in the sleeper) to the nearest Assessor/Collector's office.  Their initial reaction was, predictably, "No, that can't be done", but after calling Austin they found out that it could, and I walked out of their office with my tags in hand.

It's been too many years since I did mine, so I hesitate to tell you exactly what you need today to do it, but the Texas page of the Resource Guide is most likely correct, as there are a lot of Texas-based HDT RVers out there, and the state's requirements have always been well documented.  I do know that some years back a change from a truck tractor to a motorhome required applying for a branded (Reconstructed) title, which was not the case when I did mine in 2009.  The form required to do so should be listed in the Resource Guide, and Texas' motor vehicle-related forms are readily available on the web.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

15 hours ago, Phil D said:

Many folks, for that reason, choose to use an Escapees address and go to Livingston County to do their registration, since they've done many of them and are familiar with the process.

I have read this a few times also.  I have not done it but might in the future.  This probably doesn’t affect you, Chriseng, but for anyone else; I read the process of getting a required basic driver license endorsement in Texas is easier in Livingston County also.

if I remember the former LEO’s screen name I will post it.

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

Do an internet search for the Texas Registration Manual, the Texas Title Manual and also the Texas Occupations Code, section 2301 and look at the definition of Motor Home. 

The Registration Manual and the Title manual tell you what the DMV wants to register it, and how/what they will do. Section 2301 tells you what "it" must contain to be a MH. 

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

On 9/28/2023 at 10:26 PM, Big5er said:

Do an internet search for the Texas Registration Manual, the Texas Title Manual and also the Texas Occupations Code, section 2301 and look at the definition of Motor Home. 

The Registration Manual and the Title manual tell you what the DMV wants to register it, and how/what they will do. Section 2301 tells you what "it" must contain to be a MH. 

Naw not Big5er, lol.  If my old man’s memory is correct it was “Gargoyle “! 😂(sorry only the old timers will get the inside joke).

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Thank you all for the replies!   I was traveling for work and could not log in until now.  I really appreciate the answers and suggestions!  It's refreshing to be part of a helpful community!   I hope to repay the hospitality in my future responses. 

On 10/9/2023 at 3:27 PM, geodog1 said:

The first thing to do is remove the hitch. You will need a picture showing NO hitch.

Not in Texas. The hitch isn't an issue here.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo