6 Month Shuffle (Parks Making RV Owners Move Every Six/Nine Months)

RVLife4Me

There is a bill coming before the Housing Committee in California to stop the practice of the "6-Month-Shuffle."  It is AB 1472.  It's to protect people from being evicted and face homelessness due to this bad business practice.  

We need stories of places and cities where the mobile home or rv park owners are requiring the tenants of the park to move before 9 months are up to avoid a change in tenancy status.  

Assemblymember David Alvarez is sponsoring AB 1472 to expand the prohibition of the "6-month-shuffle" to the entire state of California.  This is the practice of making RV residents move before 9 months have elapsed in the same place because the park owners want to avoid the change in tenancy from "tenants" to "residents," under Civil Code section 799.31.

The bill is coming before the Housing Committee hearing on 4/26/2023 at 9:00 a.m.!  (If you are in Sacramento, please come help support the bill.)

Has anyone on here experienced this unfair business practice?  What parks and what cities?  Any help on this is greatly appreciated.  Also, if you want to support AB 1472, please reach out!

4 hours ago, RVLife4Me said:

This is the practice of making RV residents move before 9 months have elapsed in the same place because the park owners want to avoid the change in tenancy from "tenants" to "residents," under Civil Code section 799.31.

Why would people wanting to stay long term move into a short term park?

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

"Unfair business practice"?

I hope that "unfair" bill includes language to protect the land owner from squatter practice then.

If the rv tenant is paying the fees and not being an unruly pos, 99% of rv park owners would just as soon leave them be for however long they wish to stay. One of the major points of this "shuffle" is to avoid things like adverse possession etc.

If it passes without language protecting the park owners, I hope all rv park owners in that country disband and sell the land to housing.

I'm a work'n on it.

16 minutes ago, Deezl Smoke said:

"Unfair business practice"?

I hope that "unfair" bill includes language to protect the land owner from squatter practice then.

If the rv tenant is paying the fees and not being an unruly pos, 99% of rv park owners would just as soon leave them be for however long they wish to stay. One of the major points of this "shuffle" is to avoid things like adverse possession etc.

If it passes without language protecting the park owners, I hope all rv park owners in that country disband and sell the land to housing.

Thank you.. There is never a single side to a story. Jay

I can't see how this is an "unfair" practice. The parks are working to stay within the current laws, while maintaining a profitable business. The Tenancy laws in California are very clearly slanted towards renters already.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

California's Tenant Protection Act of 2019 is a state law which provides residential renters with Rent Control and Just Cause for Eviction protections if their city or county did not provide such rights already.

For the Tenant Protection Act to apply however, all tenants must have lived in the unit for at least twelve months, or the tenant who has lived there the longest must have lived in the unit for at least twenty-four months.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

23 hours ago, RVLife4Me said:

There is a bill coming before the Housing Committee in California to stop the practice of the "6-Month-Shuffle."  It is AB 1472.  It's to protect people from being evicted and face homelessness due to this bad business practice.  

We need stories of places and cities where the mobile home or rv park owners are requiring the tenants of the park to move before 9 months are up to avoid a change in tenancy status.  

Assemblymember David Alvarez is sponsoring AB 1472 to expand the prohibition of the "6-month-shuffle" to the entire state of California.  This is the practice of making RV residents move before 9 months have elapsed in the same place because the park owners want to avoid the change in tenancy from "tenants" to "residents," under Civil Code section 799.31.

The bill is coming before the Housing Committee hearing on 4/26/2023 at 9:00 a.m.!  (If you are in Sacramento, please come help support the bill.)

Has anyone on here experienced this unfair business practice?  What parks and what cities?  Any help on this is greatly appreciated.  Also, if you want to support AB 1472, please reach out!

You may call it a "bad" or "unfair" business practice but AB 1472 as presently written takes the wrong approach to the problem and will have exactly opposite the intended effect. I lived in an RV for over 10 years in several CA RV parks before I retired and I can tell you if a park can't reset the residency clock by doing the "shuffle" and letting someone come back under a new lease, all that will happen is parks will lock people out for the remainder of the year until the legal clock resets.

The underlying issue is having someone obtain resident status after being in the park for 9 months as stated in CA Civil Code Section 799. This is what should be corrected, not adding a new section that prohibits resetting the residency clock while leaving the residential status intact.

Gaining residential status greatly complicates removing a troublemaker's RV from the park, for causes including non-payment of rent.  It drags the process out from a simple 1 day or 1 week written notice to a full blown court ordered eviction with at least 60 days written notice  Meanwhile the resident gets to stay in the RV park while the process plays out.  This is the same as evicting someone from a house or from an apartment.

An RV is defined as something that provides short term, portable living quarters.  It's much easier to re-locate an RV than getting the necessary permits to move a mobile home or packing up and moving someone's belongings out of a house or an apartment. 

If you make it illegal for RV parks to reset someone's status to occupant or tenant via the "shuffle" all that will happen is the parks will lock them out for the rest of the year until the legal clock resets.   Many motels in CA already do this, capping their length of stay at 14 days to preserve their right to expeditiously get rid of troublemakers.

Edited by Lou Schneider

4 hours ago, sandsys said:

If they truly expect to be there long term could they move into a mobile home park instead of an RV park?

Linda

Not all mobile home parks accept rvs

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Nor do mobile home parks in CA typically have vacant spaces due to the complexity and expense of moving the home.  Usually mobile homes are sold in place and before the purchase is finalized the new owner has to be approved by the park before becoming a new resident.

Edited by Lou Schneider

• 8 months later...

I'm one of the California residents that is caught in the 6 month shuffle in San Luis Obispo county. I will have to move out in 2.5 months on April fools day for 4 days then move back again just so the MHP owner status of the park won't change. Can't there be a change where all residents have the equal rights and the park owner will maintain his status with a similar designation even if he has mobiles and Rv's? Has this happened already?      Any input or discussion on this topic is encouraged and appreciated.....                                                                     Thank you very much... Mike

OK, I know a bunch of people working construction in CA and every one of them found a buddy at another park to "switch" with. As noted above the parks do NOT want residents, they are in business to service transients that are there on a temporary basis. If this bill passes, it will be like everything else in CA and slanted WAY too much in favor of deadbeats that can't be gotten rid of easily.

Everyone keeps wanting to be on the side of the "little" guy but forget that the business owner's needs must be looked after as well. Is it really that hard to move to another park every 6 months or so???? Or failing that, move out for 4 days and then come back?

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

On 4/21/2023 at 5:14 PM, RVLife4Me said:

While that bill was passed in the assembly in May after twice being amended, it was then sent to the senate where it failed in committee to be sent to the full senate on July 11, 2023.

One of my friends is in a park where you have to move every few months but you don't have to actually leave the park. So they just move to a different site for the required time then right back into their preferred site again. That does keep out RVs so derelict that can no longer move. And it keeps the park designated as temporary housing instead of permanent which has lots of implications for the owner.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

On 4/22/2023 at 3:26 PM, Lou Schneider said:

You may call it a "bad" or "unfair" business practice but AB 1472 as presently written takes the wrong approach to the problem and will have exactly opposite the intended effect. I lived in an RV for over 10 years in several CA RV parks before I retired and I can tell you if a park can't reset the residency clock by doing the "shuffle" and letting someone come back under a new lease, all that will happen is parks will lock people out for the remainder of the year until the legal clock resets.

The underlying issue is having someone obtain resident status after being in the park for 9 months as stated in CA Civil Code Section 799. This is what should be corrected, not adding a new section that prohibits resetting the residency clock while leaving the residential status intact.

Gaining residential status greatly complicates removing a troublemaker's RV from the park, for causes including non-payment of rent.  It drags the process out from a simple 1 day or 1 week written notice to a full blown court ordered eviction with at least 60 days written notice  Meanwhile the resident gets to stay in the RV park while the process plays out.  This is the same as evicting someone from a house or from an apartment.

An RV is defined as something that provides short term, portable living quarters.  It's much easier to re-locate an RV than getting the necessary permits to move a mobile home or packing up and moving someone's belongings out of a house or an apartment. 

If you make it illegal for RV parks to reset someone's status to occupant or tenant via the "shuffle" all that will happen is the parks will lock them out for the rest of the year until the legal clock resets.   Many motels in CA already do this, capping their length of stay at 14 days to preserve their right to expeditiously get rid of troublemakers.

Excellent reply! If people are living in a Recreational Vehicle, they cannot expect the same treatment as a resident in a mobile home with wheels and towing tongue removed.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

On 1/15/2024 at 6:46 PM, Mike McCabe said:

Can't there be a change where all residents have the equal rights and the park owner will maintain his status with a similar designation even if he has mobiles and Rv's?

You are dealing with CA state laws so most of us have very little knowledge of current activity there. As near as I can tell, the explanation by Lou on April 22 covers the issues pretty well but an additional isse for RV parks is CA rent control laws. There are very few new RV parks being constructed in CA while many are being developed in permanent structures and the passage of laws like that one would probably make it worse. 

Lots of concern about these new "Laws". 

You know who benefits from "Laws and Lawsuits", the Lawyers, the Judges and the people working in the court system. Not to mention the politicians who have something else to say they will stop or encourage. 

Yes, without rules or laws there  may be anarchy, but would that really be bad? Seem like some people think it's the way to gain power. 

Wouldn't it be nice for everyone to get along, be appropriate in their actions and not try to out do the other?

Yes, I realize that won't happen in my lifetime. I just hope as some point History stops repeating itself and people can just live with one another. 

A park I stayed at in Florida was happy when I stayed a bit longer, they didn't have to pay the "Tourism" tax on people who stayed for a certain number of days, weeks or months. (Don't remember the exact language.)

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

• 2 months later...
On 4/21/2023 at 3:14 PM, RVLife4Me said:

Yes I have. I've just, in fact, gotten back to the mobile home park after spending 4 days in a campground.

Its a torturous way to live having to move every 8 months because you have an Rv instead of a mobile home.

I applaud your efforts to change this bill and free the poor slaves that have had to endure the upheaval of moving their lives for the benefit of the landlords. I live in the Blur Heron Mobile home park in Morro Bay Ca.93442

I'm 77yo and it is a tremendous imposition for a senior to have to deal with. Best of luck with your bill.

Mike McCabe

Maybe if they didn’t make you move they could just charge you real estate tax every year like a mobile home gets. That probably wouldn’t make you happy either. If you don’t want to move just buy a mobile home.