Something I have noticed on the Forum

Vegas Teacher

Howdy all and Happy Monday,

I have noticed something on the forum over the years I have been on it and maybe it is due to the off-shoots of this on Facebook.........

It seems like 4 or 5 years ago when somebody put in a new topic you would see 200 people read the topic and there were 100 responses. Now looking at new posts and seeing the ratio of # of people that read the post vs. the # that responded it is a lot smaller.

Maybe I am crazy, and I probably am, there just seems to be less response. Maybe I am just getting older too.

Later,

Cory O - Vegas Teacher

Years ago there were email lists.  

Then forums like this became more convenient and efficient for sharing information.  

Now Facebook, with all of its inherent problems, is the choice of most people for the sharing of information.  

To everything, turn, turn, turn…

Av8r3400
2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift & 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

20 minutes ago, Av8r3400 said:

Years ago there were email lists.  

Then forums like this became more convenient and efficient for sharing information.  

Now Facebook, with all of its inherent problems, is the choice of most people for the sharing of information.  

To everything, turn, turn, turn…

So True!!!! I am going to guess not many respond to this thread.

Edited by Vegas Teacher

50 minutes ago, Vegas Teacher said:

So True!!!! I am going to guess not many respond to this thread.

So, I'll refrain......

Facebook has "hurt" forums, in that it's easier to deal with on a phone.  Many folks longer sit at a computer to catch up.

That said, forums offer more in being "searchable" and easier (for me) to read than looking at my phone.  But old and feeble.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Howdy Cory,

Your right, much less participation on all forums that I am involved in. To me the forums are much more personal, I hate facebook, don't have an account and rarely post to it under my wife's account.  I find it much easier to type on a real keyboard then try to type on my phone, easier to read a computer screen then a phone, much easier to post photos and view them on a computer, gettin old I guess, now get off my lawn..............

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Occasionally I go on the Facebook HDT forum to provide an intelligent answer to an intelligent question among pile of salutation, dumb ass stuff and the likes. I don't remember who said it that social media provided an outlet to people who have nothing useful to say. So they have the volume, I prefer this volume and the in depth discussions. I bet you we have a larger volume that the posts may suggest, it's the people who lurk, learn and choose not to post the inane stuff.

1 hour ago, mr. cob said:

Howdy Cory,

Your right, much less participation on all forums that I am involved in. To me the forums are much more personal, I hate facebook, don't have an account and rarely post to it under my wife's account.  I find it much easier to type on a real keyboard then try to type on my phone, easier to read a computer screen then a phone, much easier to post photos and view them on a computer, gettin old I guess, now get off my lawn..............

Dave

Dave,

I agree, I would rather sit down at my computer, think and type things out. I use Facebook but it is not the same as the forum. I think we get to know each other better here. On Facebook everything is jumbled together and it has a much different feel. The Heavy Duty Trucks for RVing Facebook page is great for some things but not for others. I just remember a lot more friendly and lively conversation 5 or 6 years ago on here. When somebody would post you would have a lot of people respond. I just see a lot of interesting discussions started but very few post or try to help the person who posted. Anyway always good to talk to you Dave! If you ever make it back through Vegas we will have to go to Big Dogs Patio again for a beverage!

Later,

Cory O 

1 hour ago, phoenix2013 said:

Occasionally I go on the Facebook HDT forum to provide an intelligent answer to an intelligent question among pile of salutation, dumb ass stuff and the likes. I don't remember who said it that social media provided an outlet to people who have nothing useful to say. So they have the volume, I prefer this volume and the in depth discussions. I bet you we have a larger volume that the posts may suggest, it's the people who lurk, learn and choose not to post the inane stuff.

Phoenix,

Your words ring true also! Over the last 5 years or so you have given me good advice and I have appreciated it! I agree on Facebook there a lot of people saying things that are not worth saying or being read. I like how on the forum topics are posted and somewhat organized to a degree. Thanks for teaching me over the years!

Later,

Cory O

OP what you say is oh so true.   I've been coming here and reading since the very early 2000's (maybe even the late 90's) and there was much more interaction and various subjects to read, follow and ask questions on.   Sadly social media has taken over everything with the younger generations with ease on internet watches, iPhones, androids etc etc.   Sadly my old arthritic thumbs and eyesight nowadays don't lend themselves to my typing on a screen.   Being a speed typist background for more decades than I care to remember, I much prefer keyboards and searching from a laptop/computer.

Also I've seen an awful lot of the old names disappear that used to actively participate here = aged out, sadly passed away or just left after many years of providing such valuable input.   Folks like BarbOK, Stanley and many others you never see much or at all anymore.

It's a sign of the times that's for sure and a new era taken over mainly by those remotely working on line a lot now and into different venues of their interests.   Kudos to those of you that still contribute when we pose Q's or rambling thoughts whether from your RVs as you travel or from your armchairs 👍.

4 minutes ago, FULLTIMEWANABE said:

OP what you say is oh so true.   I've been coming here and reading since the very early 2000's (maybe even the late 90's) and there was much more interaction and various subjects to read, follow and ask questions on.   Sadly social media has taken over everything with the younger generations with ease on internet watches, iPhones, androids etc etc.   Sadly my old arthritic thumbs and eyesight nowadays don't lend themselves to my typing on a screen.   Being a speed typist background for more decades than I care to remember, I much prefer keyboards and searching from a laptop/computer.

Also I've seen an awful lot of the old names disappear that used to actively participate here = aged out, sadly passed away or just left after many years of providing such valuable input.   Folks like BarbOK, Stanley and many others you never see much or at all anymore.

It's a sign of the times that's for sure and a new era taken over mainly by those remotely working on line a lot now and into different venues of their interests.   Kudos to those of you that still contribute when we pose Q's or rambling thoughts whether from your RVs as you travel or from your armchairs 👍.

Thanks for the input, I just looked at when I joined, it was 2014. I guess I have not been here that long, 9 years, but it sure has been fun!!!

The other advantage of this forum is that when topics or thread get started, the conversation continues until concluded and exhausted and can be brought back from past pages for more discussions. Facebook posts have a lifespan of copulating butterflies, you have to check back daily not to miss anything important and even then it gets overwhelmed with trash, response, then responses to responses. And it takes forever to find it again.

I've been noticing that there are simply not as many questions posted as there used to be. I've been on here about 15 years and it used to take quite a bit of time every day to read and to respond when I thought I had something of value to say. Now, a half hour or less gets everything done. I miss all that interaction. I even miss my disagreements with BarbaraOK. :)

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

1 minute ago, sandsys said:

I've been noticing that there are simply not as many questions posted as there used to be. I've been on here about 15 years and it used to take quite a bit of time every day to read and to respond when I thought I had something of value to say. Now, a half hour or less gets everything done. I miss all that interaction. I even miss my disagreements with BarbaraOK. :)

Linda Sand

😅I agree.

I didn't post on the Forum for a while when I was on Facebook. Facebook was easier to post photos and yes, use on my Smart Phone. I at one time could log into the forum on my phone, but that was several phones ago. 

I won't go back to Facebook and will continue to read and post here when I have something to say (good or bad). There are several that have left over the years for various reasons. I miss some and not so much others. 

I have a daily habit of reading the topics and then marking the forum read until the next time I visit. It takes just a few minutes that way. Might I miss something? Maybe sometimes, but if its a good topic some will post on it and it will be an unread comment again so I get a second chance to look at it further. I do have to sign into more forums vs just signing in once to Facebook and having almost everything there. Don't miss that enough yet to reactivate. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

I usually check in every night but if have nothing constructive to say I move on.

2007 Volvo 780 Ultrashift Trailersaver Hitch
2017 Momentum 397th
3 Yamaha Banshees
2 Honda 400EX's
Polaris Outlaw 50

Polaris Outlaw 110 EFi                                                                                                                                                                                                                          2018 Polaris RZR S 1000 Stealth Black
2019 Polaris RZR S 1000 Titanium Matte Metal

2015 Polaris RZR S 900 VooDoo Blue

https://i.imgur.com/e0ajU8Pl.jpg

I joined Escapees back in 1999 when we first started full timing.  Didn't join the forum until 2006.  Scan the unread content nearly every day.  Have learned a LOT from this group.  Ran with an MTD for ten years and this HDT forum was VERY useful! 

Will miss most of May due to participation in RFTW XXXIII - an 8200 mile ride on the Harley. 

Cory, you are spot on regarding participation decline.  However, compared to FB, the educational value of the Escapee forum is one heck of lot better - so much knowledge here!  I don't respond much unless I feel I truly have something worth sharing.

I recently got into laser engraving and CNC woodworking (hobby) and have found a couple of FB groups very helpful but the number of total jerks on there is certainly discouraging.

Cory, keep us posted on the progress on your ride....

Lenp

USN Retired
2002 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom

2012 F150 4x4

2018 Lincoln MKX

2019 HD Ultra Limited

I usually google when I want to find something out. The answers usually lead to this forum! Facebook can be entertaining occasionally and is good for just killing time. I get bored with the same old questions getting asked repeatedly though.  I'm guilty of enjoying a good debate and get sucked in too easily sometimes. There seem to be too many on there who just want to disagree with what anybody says just to try and start something, whether they know anything or not. I drove a truck most of my adult life as a side job, and after I retired. (I retired from the Arkansas State Police.) I feel like I have a little to offer related to those two occupations. Not to mention what I've learned from attending the National Rally and learning from the experts!👍

Edited by mike5511

I have been on this forum for maybe 20 years?    I don't post often but check in daily or so.    Your observation is spot on, traffic here on the forum is down and the friendly banter is almost gone.    I am another no FB user so this is it for me.    I have a few projects going but the seem to move at a snails pace.    

There must be a lot of folks that don't use the forum at this point even many old time posters?    I try to reply when I have something useful to add, not a lot of projects or dreams here lately.

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

I prefer the forum. I do use the Facebook HDT page quite a bit. But you get a lot better advice here. Quality over quantity.

That being said I did run into a truck builder from Canada on the Facebook page who helped me with my vibration problem. It took a few tries but he diagnosed it over the phone. 

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.