Something I have noticed on the Forum

Vegas Teacher

19 hours ago, Vegas Teacher said:

So True!!!! I am going to guess not many respond to this thread.

So I'm going to guess you might have to eat crow. The thread has not gone "Viral" for sure, but I think "many" have responded and provided good input. 

That's what keeps the forum active. Posting a thread and the responses. Reading all the post's daily is good, but you have to let someone know you have read it, maybe liked it or disagreed with it. 

A good public speaker entertains the crowd for 15 to 30 minutes and then spends the next 30 minutes answering questions. A bad public speaker talks for an hour and the audience walks out as quickly as possible after. My opinion anyway. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

32 minutes ago, lappir said:

That's what keeps the forum active. Posting a thread and the responses.

There's more to it than whether you feel you have something to contribute.  By responding, you let the OP know you at least read it, and perhaps encourage them to share more in the future.  If one posts a question and no one answers, they may just write off the forum because no one cares.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

13 minutes ago, rickeieio said:

There's more to it than whether you feel you have something to contribute.  By responding, you let the OP know you at least read it, and perhaps encourage them to share more in the future.  If one posts a question and no one answers, they may just write off the forum because no one cares.

like. 

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2007 Honda GL 1800

9 hours ago, lenp said:

I joined Escapees back in 1999 when we first started full timing.  Didn't join the forum until 2006.  Scan the unread content nearly every day.  Have learned a LOT from this group.  Ran with an MTD for ten years and this HDT forum was VERY useful! 

Will miss most of May due to participation in RFTW XXXIII - an 8200 mile ride on the Harley. 

Cory, you are spot on regarding participation decline.  However, compared to FB, the educational value of the Escapee forum is one heck of lot better - so much knowledge here!  I don't respond much unless I feel I truly have something worth sharing.

I recently got into laser engraving and CNC woodworking (hobby) and have found a couple of FB groups very helpful but the number of total jerks on there is certainly discouraging.

Cory, keep us posted on the progress on your ride....

Lenp

Not Problem Lenp - I will keep you updated as Jack sends me pictures!!!

1 hour ago, lappir said:

So I'm going to guess you might have to eat crow. The thread has not gone "Viral" for sure, but I think "many" have responded and provided good input. 

That's what keeps the forum active. Posting a thread and the responses. Reading all the post's daily is good, but you have to let someone know you have read it, maybe liked it or disagreed with it. 

A good public speaker entertains the crowd for 15 to 30 minutes and then spends the next 30 minutes answering questions. A bad public speaker talks for an hour and the audience walks out as quickly as possible after. My opinion anyway. 

Rod

Rod,

You are correct I woke up this morning to many people posting! I would love to see more chime in!! Many who have posted seem to agree with my observation. I am just happy to know people are still reading the threads / topics and responding. Most of the fun in this forum is the friendships created from helping each other and getting to know each other. Since I am a teacher I can't make it to the national rally in Hutchison, which is sad because it is 150 miles West of my home town of Pittsburg Kansas, yep no "H" in our Pittsburg, but we are a football town.

Later,

Cory O

I would have to agree but lucky for me when we found our HDT we received a lot of info here on the forums, I still read daily but post very little as I feel I do not have a lot to add.  I am very glad to have the very knowledgeable folks that do. My favorite thing was learning about the ECR and being able to have Henry install our ET Hitch at my first rally.

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

I don't have much time to peruse the forum, but I do have an email sent to me weekly with all the new activity on this HDT forum. I don't post if I don't have anything to offer, and some of the stuff is just too truck-techy for me to have any knowledge to share. There's been a lot of good information here, and I agree with the others that facebook is too easy for jerks to use, and the anonymity allows them to forget their manners. Facebook is also a huge time-sucking machine. Once you get started, some threads can go on for miles...

0509211517a-tiny.jpg.0313fb3892d85eca18617732fa6d04ac.jpg

2007 Freightliner M2-112, 68' connected

2021 New Horizons Majestic 45' toyhauler

2001 Kawasaki Concours

2007 Yamaha V-Star Classic

ALAKAZARCACOCTDEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMD

15 hours ago, rickeieio said:

Yep. My forum list keeps getting smaller every year. Less and less participation.

But I came from a time before computers and the www. Though I prefer to not go without them now, I do find myself less interested in asking on a forum what I can just google search. This progress/egress has been the result of...........yep, just as the OP mentions, less participation by the members of forums.

I'm a work'n on it.

I can attest to of the other forums I write on, there are fewer and fewer just people on them.  Those that are fully retiring as such are walking away from contact with previous contacts.

That stated I am headed to the Guy's place I got my KW from, we are going to resurrect a trade truck he received to make a service truck of, as his existing truck just shot craps, then May 1, I become another sluggo Clock hitter and going BACK to work.  My last employer called me on Tuesday while I was working across the farm, asked me to call back where I ran out of time that night and stopped in the office bright and early Wednesday.  Explained is worse than ever, felt bad for the asking, but I did say yes.  Been off dump trucking nearly a full year, would be June 10, they are so backlogged as have NOT YET found My Own replacement.  Is really sad out there.

Dave

On 4/18/2023 at 7:32 AM, rickeieio said:

" By responding, you let the OP know you at least read it, and perhaps encourage them to share more in the future." 

It would be nice to have the option to "thank" a post like many forums have. You may not have anything to contribute to the post, but at least it shows your appreciation for it and lets the one know who posted his time wasn't totally wasted.

27 minutes ago, durangodon said:

like x 1

2007 Honda GL 1800

8 hours ago, mike5511 said:

It would be nice to have the option to "thank" a post like many forums have. You may not have anything to contribute to the post, but at least it shows your appreciation for it and lets the one know who posted his time wasn't totally wasted.

I agree!!! It would at least let the person see somebody read it and agreed or liked it. I have to admit since I have put up this post I have tried to go back and at least respond in  some way to the other posts on the site, that I have read. What is it they say, Practice what you preach????

12 hours ago, Vegas Teacher said:

I agree!!! It would at least let the person see somebody read it and agreed or liked it. I have to admit since I have put up this post I have tried to go back and at least respond in  some way to the other posts on the site, that I have read. What is it they say, Practice what you preach????

👍 Guess this will have to do!

4 hours ago, phoenix2013 said:

I watch the "views" counter on threads, pretty good indicator if folks are interested in what you have to say, whether they reply or not. We had few trolls over the years, we beat them down pretty quick, though.

...but you keep coming back, over and over again.

Av8r3400
2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift & 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

1 hour ago, Av8r3400 said:

...but you keep coming back, over and over again.

Larry, you are bad.  🤣

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net