What happens When Tesla, Rivian, Proterra, Lucid, and Zoox veterans leverage their automotive EV design and development expertise to disrupt the stagnant RV industry?

RV_

I am sure many have heard the fact that EV trucks, like gas and diesel truck, lose half their range when towing a trailer. MY 1 ton Ram diesel long bed got !21 mpg off load and only 1mpg on the road and as low as 7mpg once in a strong headwind across Kansas. But their range with a full tank with or without the trailer is much more than electrics so what is the solution? How about a trailer that is self propelled and keeps the EV truck from losing so much range! This trailer helps pull its own weight. How much remains to be seen. Motor Trend says it is solved!

OK, it is a start up and may fizzle as many do. However, watch the video below. I am amused when he says they will be only for the wealthy - here is a 150k fiver: https://www.rvt.com/Vanleigh-RV-Vanleigh-Ambition-399TH-2023-Aurora-CO-IDs10110062-UX335021

Motor homes for a million? Put in perspective everything is relative. Some folks can't afford a $30k used RV. We here are relatively lucky people.

On edit - Watch this first:

These won't be out until 2024 but it is not Tesla doing it. It is a bunch of folks from several of the EV startups. And it is solar powered to boot.

They could be expensive toys or like EVs catch on and come down in costs. I am not saying it will or that they will even start production. But it looks like it.

They may disrupt the RV industry like Tesla did. He caused the whole world to transition to EVs ~ 12 years after he started US production.

But for RVrs who own Teslas, Bolts, or any of the EVs sold today, this guy is lightweight and is a unique pop up design.and won't drag it down.

Expensive? Not that much more than the average cost of RVs a New Horizons fiver loaded. But startling nevertheless. I have no idea how large, what options they will have etc. But it will; be fun to watch. I could be wrong but at first glance it might be a real money saver on campground fees and for single workers on the road if fully self-contained

Excerpt:

"What happens when Tesla, Rivian, Proterra, Lucid, and Zoox veterans leverage their automotive EV design and development expertise to disrupt the stagnant RV industry? You get a San Francisco- and Boulder-based all-electric RV company founded in 2020 called Lightship. Self-proclaimed to be America's first all-electric recreational vehicle company, its men and women are on a mission to advance travel trailers lightyears ahead."

BeNlnaml.jpg

Go here to see more pics and info:

https://www.motortrend.com/news/tesla-lightship-l1-electric-travel-trailer-camper/

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Found a great video tour! This thing has a 300 mile range?? I'll believe all this when I see it retail. It is too new to me so later I will update:

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

That EV trailer  has a GVWR of 7500 pounds fully loaded. The only pickup available today that could tow it is the Ford F-150 with a 10k two rating:

The 2022 Ford F-150 Lightning Has the Most Pleasant Towing Experience Ever

Once you tow with an electric truck, you’ll never want to go back.

"According to Ford, 75 percent of F-150 owners use their trucks to tow. So when it came time to build the F-150 Lightning, towing was a top priority for Ford's engineers. With a maximum tow rating of 10,000 pounds, the all-electric Ford is on par with its gas-powered siblings, able to pull as much as a 2.7-liter EcoBoost-powered F-150. But towing capacity is just a small part of what makes hauling with the Lightning so great.

Pulling a trailer with an electric truck is a revelation. The reasons are obvious: All 775 lb-ft of torque from the standard dual motors comes at zero rpm. That means there’s no need to wait for revs to build to get anywhere at a reasonable pace. Sluggish starts and panicked intersection crossings are a thing of the past. You can just hit the go pedal and accelerate away, as if you’re not pulling anything at all. Highway merges are way less dramatic than they are in any similarly-sized ICE-powered truck, as is passing slower-moving vehicles. The instant torque makes towing less stressful, because you don’t have to think seven steps ahead to make a maneuver. Plus there isn't any drivetrain slack, nor gearshifts, to unsettle the load.

Then there’s the braking. On any ICE-powered truck, you have to use considerably more braking force than you would without a trailer because, well, you’re slowing down way more weight. While the weight is the same (if not greater) here in the Lightning, you never really feel like you're exerting more force than usual on the brake pedal while slowing down with a trailer. That’s down to a smartly tuned regenerative braking system. The Lightning’s tow/haul mode turns off one-pedal driving and programs the pedal in such a way that it blends the regenerative braking with the actual brakes, making it a seamless transition from one to the other. It’s a much better experience versus having to, in some cases, stand on the brake pedal to get your truck and trailer to slow down.

It’s not just the driving experience that makes the F-150 Lightning so great to pull with. Option the Towing Technology Package, and you’re treated to a suite of tow-centric features. The coolest piece of tech is what Ford calls the Smart Hitch. It uses sensors to determine real-time estimates of cargo weight, and gives the driver an estimate of the trailer tongue load weight, so drivers can adjust how weight is distributed on the trailer to improve their towing experience and make sure weight is placed in the safest possible places. The package also comes with Pro Trailer Backup Assist, which lets the driver use a knob on the dashboard to guide the direction of an attached trailer while reversing."

For more about towing with the F-150 the full article is here:

https://www.roadandtrack.com/reviews/a39927543/2022-ford-f-150-lightning-towing/

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

My conclusion, as we shop for a PHEV or another Model Y now is to HOLD THE PRESSES! Now we need to go to a Ford Dealer and find out if they are producing them any more and how long it takes to get one.

Several folks don't read the articles online but then comment. This to me is as exciting as when I first heard about Tesla in 2003.

So for ~ $70k I can get a used 2022 Lightning? So $200k for the combo.

https://www.edmunds.com/ford/f-150-lightning/2022/vin/1FTVW1EL6NWG15105/?radius=100

On edit:

My parade just got rained on as the Ford has only 230 miles of Range. Guess I have to wait for anothe EV truck and see what the Cybertruck range ends up. We traveled no more then 200 miles a day for the seven years were were full-time RVrs that traveled full-time as opposed to snowbirding.

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

• RV_ changed the title to What happens When Tesla, Rivian, Proterra, Lucid, and Zoox veterans leverage their automotive EV design and development expertise to disrupt the stagnant RV industry?

I wonder how soon Pepsi will get tired of the Tesla trucks and the first one's out come to the "Used" market. 

If it happens soon I may tailor my solar/battery build to be able to get 500 miles from a Tesla truck, still have enough power for a night of HVAC use and if the sun is good enough the next day, do it again. That's my retirement dream. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

I can forsee the future of  EV's after the industry switches from LiPo to upcoming battery technology with much more storage capability and the "battery" weighs even less. There are around 4 new battery technologies in the development stage now.

The elephant in the room is aging, inadequate electrical grid to supply adequate electricity to recharge  batteries in addition to supplying everyday needs. Some deny that is a fact, but internet searches prove otherwise.

I apologize for getting off-topic Derek.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

7 hours ago, lappir said:

I wonder how soon Pepsi will get tired of the Tesla trucks and the first one's out come to the "Used" market. 

If it happens soon I may tailor my solar/battery build to be able to get 500 miles from a Tesla truck, still have enough power for a night of HVAC use and if the sun is good enough the next day, do it again. That's my retirement dream. 

Rod

Rod, let me know when you do that! Just call me anytime at BR549! 😏

Seriously though, the Cybertruck is currently under final ramp up to full retail production and they claim it will have 500 miles of range. Whether that is standard or an option remains to be seen. The Tesla HDT already gets 500 miles range doesn't it?

Specs Tesla Semi from Forbes:

• Range: The electric truck has an estimated range of 500 miles.
  • Acceleration: It takes the Semi 20 seconds to accelerate from zero to 60 mph.
  • Energy consumption: The Semi consumes less than 2kWh per mile.
  • Weight: When fully loaded, the gross combination weight is 82,000 points. This number combines both the truck and its cargo.
  • Charging time: The truck’s battery can be charged to 70% within 30 minutes.

This electric truck has three independent motors. The combination of electric motors allows instant torque and extra power at all speeds. With that, truck drivers can safely navigate roadways and maintain highway speeds on steep grades.

Another major attraction of the Semi is a relatively lower cost of ownership. According to Tesla, charging is “2.5x cheaper per mile than refueling with diesel.” Tesla estimates that operators can save up to $200,000 in fuel costs over three years.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/qai/2022/12/08/how-powerful-is-teslas-new-semi-truck/?sh=6e75266933d7#:~:text=Here’s a closer look at the specs and,can be charged to 70% within 30 minutes.

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

6 hours ago, hemsteadc said:

"on a mission to advance travel trailers lightyears ahead."

A lightyear is a measure of distance.

Thank you for your contribution to the topic of a new self powered all electric travel trailer with 3KW of solar panels.

light-year

noun

: a unit of length in astronomy equal to the distance that light travels in one year in a vacuum or about 5.88 trillion miles (9.46 trillion kilometers)

light-year

noun

: a unit of length in astronomy equal to the distance that light travels in one year in a vacuum or about 5.88 trillion miles (9.46 trillion kilometers)

: an extremely large measure of comparison (as of distance, time, or quality)
seems like light-years ago

has light-years more talent.

That took the time to type define Light year into search. That definition is light years ahead of yours. 😉(Assuming you are joking and wanted off topic banter. If not do not read this banter)

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

6 hours ago, Deezl Smoke said:

That would pretty much every charging station an rv camp then would'nt it?

???? Sorry don't know what you mean.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

5 hours ago, GlennWest said:

Wonder how much solar to charge one of those trucks

Sorry - what trucks? I believe the article is about it charging its own (the travel trailer the topic is about) battery bank to assist the tow vehicle with its own motor driving its own wheels to minimize the effects on the electric tow vehicle's battery pack.

My Ram Diesel 1 Ton dually I towed with got ~20-22 mpg with no load. Pulling a lightweight 36 foot fiver the mileage dropped to 10-11. If that trailer was available today at a price I wanted to afford, it would get 300 miles at 20-22mpg while the trailer was moving itself, and then if I needed to keep going pulling all of the trailer weight I could drive until I needed to fill the diesel up.

Since the TT travels pulling its own weight or whatever large percentage it does, for about 300 m iles, it opens up the possibility for a 250 mile range Ford Lightning to travel 250 miles theoretically. Without the trailer's motive force the Lightning would only pull it ~125 miles. YMMV.

They have a prototype and may never come to market.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

7 minutes ago, RV_ said:

Sorry - what trucks? I believe the article is about it charging its own (the travel trailer the topic is about) battery bank to assist the tow vehicle with its own motor driving its own wheels to minimize the effects on the electric tow vehicle's battery pack.

My Ram Diesel 1 Ton dually I towed with got ~20-22 mpg with no load. Pulling a lightweight 36 foot fiver the mileage dropped to 10-11. If that trailer was available today at a price I wanted to afford, it would get 300 miles at 20-22mpg while the trailer was moving itself, and then if I needed to keep going pulling all of the trailer weight I could drive until I needed to fill the diesel up.

Since the TT travels pulling its own weight or whatever large percentage it does, for about 300 m iles, it opens up the possibility for a 250 mile range Ford Lightning to travel 250 miles theoretically. Without the trailer's motive force the Lightning would only pull it ~125 miles. YMMV.

They have a prototype and may never come to market.

That was to Lappir post about getting a used Telsa truck

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

7 minutes ago, hemsteadc said:

Yes, it is true that even language misuse can eventually make it into the dictionary. 

OMG! the sources on YouTube have comments under each one, you'd better let them know right away.

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

34 minutes ago, hemsteadc said:

Yes, it is true that even language misuse can eventually make it into the dictionary. 

It is also true that even posts about the TT topic in the OP will eventually make it into the thread here. 😉

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

32 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

That was to Lappir post about getting a used Telsa truck

Gotcha. Thanks!

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

5 hours ago, hemsteadc said:

Language is a living thing. It changes as our society changes. There are a lot of words in the dictionary now that weren't there when I was a kid.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

I didn't see anything about how you control the self driving feature of the trailer. In other words where is the software and connections that sends signals to trailer to start the motors for the wheels and maintain the same speed as the tow vehicle. Same for braking and is an ABS system built into it? What about slippery roads and bridges, what keeps the trailer from pushing the tow vehicle around. How are turns handle so that the tires on one side turn faster than the other side.

Since it is not motorized does that mean a new class of license plate and registration is needed as it is not really a towable but it is a non steerable motorized unit. 

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

On 4/11/2023 at 5:19 PM, Star Dreamer said:

I didn't see anything about how you control the self driving feature of the trailer. In other words where is the software and connections that sends signals to trailer to start the motors for the wheels and maintain the same speed as the tow vehicle. Same for braking and is an ABS system built into it? What about slippery roads and bridges, what keeps the trailer from pushing the tow vehicle around. How are turns handle so that the tires on one side turn faster than the other side.

Since it is not motorized does that mean a new class of license plate and registration is needed as it is not really a towable but it is a non steerable motorized unit. 

Star, you can contact them directly via the link in the OP for specifics. As I said up front lots of these startups fail and this one may too. However the folks involved are all EV enthusiasts so likely got started trying to tow a trailer without losing all they range.

Some of your questions are answered in the videos too.

I hope they do succeed but if not, no issue, I'll just be disappointed.

So get back to us here if you find your answers.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

On 4/11/2023 at 8:13 PM, bruce t said:

Back in the 1960s The Jetsons made all sorts of predictions. I'm still waiting 60 years later.

Cartoons as examples? :rolleyes:

That is a particularly good one! I am glad you brought up their successes. They predicted Video Calls, Personal assistants, Smart Watches, Food printing, and Space tourism. I was 12 when when we went to the 1964 NY World's fair and talked on the Picture Phone, and that did blow me away as a kid. It was one thing I waited for and finally got. We call our kids in Europe on Google Meet which was called Duo, free of charge and excellent quality.

So what did the Jetsons predict you are still waiting for?

Excerpt:

"5 Modern Technologies 'The Jetsons' Accurately Predicted 60 Years Ago

In honor of George Jetson's birthday, we take a look at all the current technologies Hanna-Barbera accurately anticipated when the show was created in 1962.

In celebration of this beloved cartoon father's birthday, we decided to take a look at the various gizmos and gadgets in the show to see how much of it might have inspired modern technologies we use today. It turns out there's a quite a lot.

1. Video Calls

A laptop displaying a video conferencing on a kitchen table

(Credit: Chris Montgomery/Unsplash)

Perhaps the most obvious bit of tech from The Jetsons to make its way to the modern age is the video call. Video calls took place regularly on the show, most often for connecting family members to one another or for connecting George to his boss.

Notably, the first real video call(Opens in a new window) took place long before the show was even created, in 1927, to connect then-US Secretary of Commerce Herbert Hoover in Washington, D.C. to then-AT&T President Walter Gifford in New York City. AT&T later announced video conferencing as a subscription service(Opens in a new window) at the 1964 World’s Fair, but canceled it in the '70s due to low subscription rates. Nowadays video calling is so commonplace that most of the popular services we use on a regular basis are offered for free

2. Personal Assistants

A robotic Server named Rosie the Robot at a BBQ restaurant

(Credit: Boston Globe/Getty Images)

The cultural impact of Rosie the robot cannot be overstated when talking about tech from The Jetsons. While having a personal robot assistant like Rosie still remains largely a dream, voice assistants are very much a reality that many of us use on a daily basis. And let's not forget about robot vacuums and mops, two welcome household 'bots that do some of the dirty work for us. There's also the Astro, Amazon's personal robot that can act as a mobile voice assistant and security guard (and shares a name with the Jetsons' dog(Opens in a new window)), and Proteus, the company's fully autonomous robot designed to work at Amazon's fulfillment and sort centers (at least initially). So while we may not have our own Rosie just yet, we're getting pretty close.

3. Smartwatches

5 apple watches displaying a different feature of the watch

(Credit: Apple/René Ramos)

George Jetson was constantly getting work calls from his boss on his wristwatch. While that watch was almost exclusively used for video calls in the show, modern smartwatches are far more useful, offering you navigation directions or the ability to call a cab, measuring your activity and heart rate, and, of course, letting you make and answer phone calls. Some models offer video-calling capabilities as well, but these day we have plenty of more convenient screens for that.

4. Food Printing

A 3d printer with a cookie at it's base

(Credit: Getty Images)

Preparing dinner on The Jetsons was as simple as choosing what you wanted to eat and setting it into the food replicator, which automatically produced tasty-looking results (for a cartoon, that is). In 2006, the Cornell University student group Fab@Home(Opens in a new window) created the first 3D printer capable of printing food, with a series of syringes filled with substances like chocolate and cookie dough. Modern 3D food printers use cartridges of powdered food components (such as proteins and simple carbohydrates) to create different foods within the printer itself.

While 3D food printers haven't quite reached a level of ubiquity where most of have one on the kitchen shelf, we've reviewed gadgets at PCMag such as the Zimplistic Rotimatic, which turns out perfect roti at the push of a button. While it's not quite a food replicator, we can tell you that the future of flatbread is indeed delicious.

5. Space Tourism

A blue origin rocket launching from it's desert test site

(Credit: Patrick T. Fallon/Getty Images)

Though The Jetsons took place in the fictional, cloud-based Orbit City, space travel on the show was so commonplace that people would take vacations to the moon.

While it’ll likely be some time before you can book an interstellar family getaway, the first space tourist is set to visit the International Space Station in 2023. In addition, companies like Blue Origin are regularly launching missions to send their own teams of astronauts into space with the goal of making space travel possible for the common individual.

Looking back, it's pretty impressive just how far technology has advanced since The Jetsons was created. We can't know for sure what the next 60 years has in store for us and what technology will meet us there, but we can at least hope that much of it is fun as what Hanna-Barbera dreamed up in 1962. Want to stream The Jetsons? Watch all three seasons on HBO Max(Opens in a new window).

https://www.pcmag.com/news/5-modern-technologies-the-jetsons-accurately-predicted-60-years-ago

The Jetsons debuted in 1962 but the NY World's Fair had it own predictions several the same:

https://www.history.com/news/the-legacy-of-the-1964-worlds-fair-50-years-later

Star Trek: https://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/10-star-trek-technologies.htm#:~:text=10 'Star Trek' Technologies That Actually Came True,void of space seemed as far... 3%3A

StarWars: https://www.livescience.com/58943-real-life-star-wars-technology.html

Fascinating Bruce! Thanks

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998