Question For You Gearheads

SuiteSuccess

Working on brakes today on daughter’s car (not HDT) but was looking at my bad collection of sockets.  I have some I bought when younger, poorer and some I inherited when my dad passed.  His were SnapOn and Proto, mine Craftsman, Husky, Kobalt.  Trouble is I’ve got a drawer full but never the one I need.  Dad’s are all SAE 6-point because he worked on American cars…Fords, Chevies, Olds, GMC and few needed metrics.  I convinced myself I need a good set of metrics (shallow/deep) instead of pieces.  Now to the moral of this story.  If you were going to buy, do you prefer 6 point or star drives? Or advantages of each?

(p.s.  GeorgiaHybrid, no it won’t be SnapOns unless I find a deal like you got. Just maybe Bluepoint 😊.)

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

You didnt say if you were talking impact or not.  Just a bit from my 30+ years of experience in mechanical work as a contractor.  I have tried all the name brand impact sockets and have concluded with significant time of use, that Harbor Freight makes the best impact sockets over ALL the major name brands that I tried.

There were times that my crews used 1/2" electric impact guns to tighten 1000s of 1/2" bolts with Whiz nuts per DAY, and per GUY.  Harbor Freight sockets outlasted them all.  Now in my twilight years but still working some, without crews, I still rely on some of those same sockets that I had those guys using.

That being said, I NEVER buy HF electric tools esp the lower priced line.  Its $ wasted in a few hours due to failure.

They're good for what they're good for.

Marcel

1 hour ago, rpsinc said:

You didnt say if you were talking impact or not.  Just a bit from my 30+ years of experience in mechanical work as a contractor.  I have tried all the name brand impact sockets and have concluded with significant time of use, that Harbor Freight makes the best impact sockets over ALL the major name brands that I tried.

There were times that my crews used 1/2" electric impact guns to tighten 1000s of 1/2" bolts with Whiz nuts per DAY, and per GUY.  Harbor Freight sockets outlasted them all.  Now in my twilight years but still working some, without crews, I still rely on some of those same sockets that I had those guys using.

That being said, I NEVER buy HF electric tools esp the lower priced line.  Its $ wasted in a few hours due to failure.

They're good for what they're good for.

Thx. Just general use sockets. Already have HF impacts. 

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Carl, one thing few people consider is size tolerance.  I've compared some cheap sockets to higher price/quality, and found that the expensive sockets fit the fasteners much more snuggly, so less chance of rounding them off.  I buy upper to mid priced sockets.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio@yahoo.com

Carl, take a look at SK sockets (American made). Another decent choice would be the tool truck import brands (Blue Point from Snap-on), (Silver Eagle from Matco). Almost as good (IMO) would be Gear Wrench or Ikon (Harbor Fright). I prefer 6 point sockets but there are certain times when a 12 point is what will be required (usually in 1/4 and 3/8 drive only). I also use short, mid and deep sockets so keep that in mind as well.

All of my main sockets are Snappies or Matco but my backup sets are SK.

Edited by GeorgiaHybrid

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

To me, six vs. twelve point has more to do with fastener size and age. At 3/8" or above (or metric eq.) on older and rustier stuff, six point is always my go to. Actually, I only use twelve point when it's closer to hand and it's too much bother to go chase a six point down. Six points aren't as critical about exact fit, in general. All my newer sockets are Gearwrench. Jay

Edited by Jaydrvr

Thanks everyone.  Good teaching moment from some folks who know their way around a wrench.  I kid with GeorgiaHybrid but he has great knowledge about things like this and has put up with my litany of questions about things I have little to no knowledge about.  I’ve learned a lot from over a decade on this forum.

Edited by SuiteSuccess

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Carl, you've done your share of teaching as well.

I agree, S-K is good.  I still have almost all the S-K sets I bought when I was 18 y/o.  Their hand wrenches and sockets are solid, not as polished as others, but hold up well.  Their chisels and screwdrivers are junk though.  I have some of that old set on board, so you can see it next week.

I have some John Deere sockets on board too.  Decent quality for fairly cheap.  Of course, if you want them with green paint, it's extra.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio@yahoo.com

41 minutes ago, rickeieio said:

Carl, you've done your share of teaching as well.

I agree, S-K is good.  I still have almost all the S-K sets I bought when I was 18 y/o.  Their hand wrenches and sockets are solid, not as polished as others, but hold up well.  Their chisels and screwdrivers are junk though.  I have some of that old set on board, so you can see it next week.

I have some John Deere sockets on board too.  Decent quality for fairly cheap.  Of course, if you want them with green paint, it's extra.

Thanks. 😊

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

I bought the ultimate socket set from craftsman when sears went out of business. One of every socket they made. I think it was like 375 pieces all sockets. They are all silver. All my impact sockets are from harbor freight. Actually most of the farms impact sockets are form harbor freight also. Only problem with them is sometimes they are a little too thick. 

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

I have since stopped my practice of supporting SnapOn and MAC or Matco.  HF and Northern Tool products are quite reasonable, seemingly better warranties, defined decent tooling.  That stated, have invested in 6 and 12 point sockets of same sizes, M and Std, Chrome and Impact as Chrome eats impact anvils where do tend to explode, Impact sockets do not perform well as does a thinwall Chrome in tight spots.

I know is difficult to store however neither are a good replacement for the other, Six points do not function on 12 point space saver head fasteners and 12 points do tend to strip off corners of serious worn or corroded six flats fasteners.

On larger bolts and nuts and higher torques nuts and bolts, 6-point sockets and wrenches do better in my opinion.  The 12-point sockets are thinner walled and more prone to slipping with high torque.  I have a decent set of 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" drive sockets from Kobalt that have both 6-point and 12-point sockets.  For the impact, I have a old set of unknown origin 6-point sockets.

My Dad was a mechanic and taught me to use 6-point wherever possible and 12-point where you needed the thinner wall sockets due to placement of the bolt or nut.  To break bolts and nuts loose, I was taught to use a break-over bar and not put such stress on the rachet heads.  My brother has all of his Proto and Bonney tools.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

Recently I have been having great luck with the brand Tekton. Sockets, wrenches and allen keys. Have not bought ratchets or any other Tekton yet as I am well stocked on most all tools, but like to have certain tools that I use remotely at that location so I dont have to carry tools so far.

I like 6 point sockets, and 12 point combo wrenches. The sockets, when used on a decent high tooth count ratchet, can pretty much never get stuck between points, so 6 point works. The box end of a wrench however, 50% of the time, in limited wrenching space, the 6 point wont work. I've had many times that even flipping the wrench over, still would not fit, but the 12 point box end did.

So that's my opinion and why.

Todays fastener manufacturing tolerances seem to be quite variable. Even a good 6 point might have issues in some situations.

At the farm for a few years we had a snapon "Mr.Big" tool cart full of snapon and bluepoint tools. We bought it used from a lift truck mechanic that retired. In short order, we noticed our tendency to go right past the snapons to our SK and old Craftsman tools. The snapon wrenches are too thin for general use by the shadetree and hurt the hand when pulling hard on them. The ratchets suck as the handle are polished smooth and when wet, greasy, or just plain dirty, the hand would slip and knuckles would bleed. The SK ratchets have knurled handles and our older SK and Craftsman wrenches are much thicker in the handle area. Yes, thicker around the box end and some around the open end, but they can be pulled on much more comfy.

So the snapon Mr.Gig was sold off to a neighbor that uses it for status show.

I'm a work'n on it.

Along these lines, whenever I work on the truck or the trailer, I always work out of the tools I carry on the truck. There are a few items, like my M18 Fuel 1/2' impact and battery drill that I load when leaving home, but the all the wrenches, screwdrivers, pliers, etc.,  are on the truck, or trailer, and stay there. (old age and a fading memory can be prepared for!! :)