Trailer registration required to park?

nanvanplan

At some point there will be the need of registration. I am not a legal expert, but have been around the block a few times and may be a closet procrastinator. Any thing you put off doing today may very well be more difficult, more expensive and may be overwhelming in a week, a month  a year or a decade. Do it while all the paper work is in your hands and not filed away in that special place known to me as "Where in the hell did I put that? At the time it seemed like the most logical place. Now I have no idea what logic I had in mind that day. I sure as hell don't have it now."

In reality contact a legal expert or even the DMV in Texas for the real answer. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

If the winter storage is not on your property but in a stoage lot, check with them also as some  of them require stored RVs to have a current license. 

Edited by Kirk W

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Check with Texas. In my state if you register late your registration  date starts from the purchase day. Also if you title later than due date there is a large penalty to pay.

2002 Beaver Marquis Emerald   C-12 Cat 505 HP

2014 Volvo 630 D-13 I Shift SOLD

2017 New Horizons SOLD

More than likely, you will need to register the trailer.  The states all want their tax revenue.  

Check with the DMV.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

Yes register it within 30 days. The expensive part could be a sales tax issue. Was sales tax paymant required in NV? TX can give a credit for all or a portion ( it has been a couple weeks since I read that and didn't apply for me). But you have a sales tax payment due in 30 or 31 days if not paid , a 5% penalty and that goes up if paid later. 

You buy out of state, it is easy to register in your home county. Purchase in TX, the selling dealer is responsible for all collections and paper work per TX law.

Clay   Been there and done that buying a car out of TX and RV in TX.

Side note I discovered of interest. If you sell a vehicle to a relative in TN there is no sales tax as I signed a form stating I was the father. I don't if TX has such a waiver.

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

There used to be a thread on here, from a poster who was on the other side of your question. It's been a long time since I remember seeing it, but if you dig, it should be there.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

8 hours ago, lappir said:

At some point there will be the need of registration. I am not a legal expert, but have been around the block a few times and may be a closet procrastinator. Any thing you put off doing today may very well be more difficult, more expensive and may be overwhelming in a week, a month  a year or a decade. Do it while all the paper work is in your hands and not filed away in that special place known to me as "Where in the hell did I put that? At the time it seemed like the most logical place. Now I have no idea what logic I had in mind that day. I sure as hell don't have it now."

In reality contact a legal expert or even the DMV in Texas for the real answer. 

Rod

Hah, welcome to the club! Been there, still doing that.

nanvanplan; Some states require a trailer to be registered and currently licensed, even though they are setup permanently and will never be moved. I agree with advice to consult the TX DMV

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

If I understand you correctly you said it will only be stored there for the winter season. I inferred that meant you were going to take it out of storage at some point and have it on the road. " The dealer will deliver it with temporary plates to the site where it will be parked for the winter season." 

Are you going to be living in it during storage? Is storage going to be in a trailer or RV park?

I agree with all of the above advice but since you are a resident already, can I assume you will be storing it in your town or county? Last time I checked, years ago, Texas required all vehicles to be registered within 30 days of the date you brought it into the state.

I would go further and go to a private titling company in the county it will be stored in, if they have them there, and ask them what it will cost to title it right then and if you can wait until next summer without penalties. That would be more in line with local fees and if there is enforcement. Each city/county can charge different city/county fees/taxes in many states, over and above the state taxes and fees. I used titling services that also have plates in Louisiana and don't know if they have them in Texas. It was worth the ten or fifteen bucks to me to not wait in line and avoid being in the congested DMV in Louisiana for an hour or more. That might give you exact costs now and later. I would have my docs needed to register it in Texas so you could save a trip if you decided to just go ahead and register it.

I had a heckuva time registering my Harley I bought new when assigned to Germany for seven years and returned to San Antonio for my last active duty tour. It also had not been registered and delivered directly to me in Germany. I hope it is easier these days to get it registered when no previous state has registered it.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

I don't know if Texas offers this, but in California you can register a vehicle as PNO or planned non-operation.  It keeps all the paperwork on the vehicle current with DMV and the fee is significantly less than actual registration.  However, when the vehicle is in PNO status, it cannot be operated on the road and if caught operating it with PNO, there are penalties greater than the original registration would have been.  I would check with Texas DMV and see what they say you need to do or what options they offer.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

With my work I have went past registration due to having to get it inspected. I just don't have time to situate everything to run sides in hook up and get it inspected. It has never been a problem.  Now we are Texans  

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

18 hours ago, GlennWest said:

With my work I have went past registration due to having to get it inspected. I just don't have time to situate everything to run sides in hook up and get it inspected. It has never been a problem.  Now we are Texans  

I think that must depend on the park you are in. In the park we are in the owners routinely check that all RVs in the park have current valid registrations. If not, they will ask (tell) you to get it done or be asked (told) to find another park.

Edited by Chalkie

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg