Where can I see wild horses on BLM land?

homelesshartshorns

There are many wild horse corrals, which is the easiest place to get to. The only way to see them out is the wilds is by hiking, horseback riding, or flying, then just happening upon a herd.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

I've seen them along Hwy. 50, east of Carson City/Dayton, Nevada - early afternoon.  We have a herd near the RV park I stay in Pahrump that is visible at times.  Also, near Virginia City, NV they are out and about a lot.   In South Dakota, near Hot Springs there is a wild horse sanctuary but it's more commercial.  Lots of other locations - what area/states are you interested in?

Surprisingly, you can see them right in the middle of Phoenix along 101 between 87 and Shea Rd.. It's the Salt River Indian Reservation in that corner.  Also nearby in the Tonto Nat'l Forest.  

We've also seen them south of Tucson on the San Xavier Indian Reservation.

Also, a little north of Delta, UT when 4-wheeling.

We were hiking a little east of Reno, NV and saw some.

It is so neat to see them running free with their manes & tails flying!

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

It's not BLM land but is a National Park. I camp hosted at Cottonwood Campground in Teddy Roosevelt NP. Bison came thru the campground almost every day, usually in the morning. Wild horses would occasionally skirt the outer perimeter.  The horses, and Bison,  can be seen daily through out the park from the road, without getting out of your car as you drive beyond the campground. The horses are a little more shy than the Bison.

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

They used to be pretty common on the BLM land to the northwest of Rawlins, WY. I used to see them quite often on US287 in the general area of Jeffery City. Just realize that they won't look any different than a heard of horses that might be found on a large cattle ranch in that part of the country, other than the fact that they won't have brands like the majority of ranch horses there do. 

wild-horses-wyoming.jpeg

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Are you looking for Wild Horses or (private or Company owned) Horse that have been running wild for about 100 years. The later, use to be NE of Grand Jct, CO in the Book Cliffs. My suggestion is call the local BLM offices.

Clay

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

Thanks for all the informaton. I was fantasizing setting up on a boondocking site and have horses passing by! I can tell you a few places around Lake Havasu where I have had this happen to us. So I thought there might be a spot or two where I would find something natural and wonderful with out having to pay a $100 a head to see it!

George Hartshorn | Facebook

Still seeing Places we have never seen before and others that we thought we would never see again!

homelesshartshorns | Trying to spend the last Dollar on the Last Day! (wordpress.com)

9 hours ago, ms60ocb said:

Are you looking for Wild Horses or (private or Company owned) Horse that have been running wild for about 100 years. The later, use to be NE of Grand Jct, CO in the Book Cliffs. My suggestion is call the local BLM offices.

Clay

Is your location Swaseys Beach ?

Still seeing Places we have never seen before and others that we thought we would never see again!

homelesshartshorns | Trying to spend the last Dollar on the Last Day! (wordpress.com)

1 hour ago, homelesshartshorns said:

where I would find something natural and wonderful

You realize horses aren't native to this hemisphere?  In the wild, they compete with native species for food.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

6 minutes ago, rickeieio said:

You realize horses aren't native to this hemisphere?  In the wild, they compete with native species for food.

I am 75 years old and have no consern for who is eating who. I just want to see the country I grew up in and use to be very proud of. Thanks for the lession. 

1 hour ago, homelesshartshorns said:

I found farther up the cliffs the Horse Valley Viewing area. Thanks

6 hours ago, homelesshartshorns said:

When I saw the horses they where maybe 90 miles east of Swaseys Beach. Alot in change 50 years

Clay

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

No where even close but what about the island off Maryland that has wild horses. Chincoteague island. Famous book about them "Misty of Chincoteague" by Marguerite Henry.  Also they have wild horse in the Flint Hills of Kansas.  Someone talked about that some years back. Maybe Kirk.  Just no. of Albq. in the community of Placitas there is at least one herd  that may be seen fairly often by local people. I have seen them about 3-4 times in about 25 years. Usually in the middle or on the side of the main road.  Those are some really healthy looking horses. I highly suspect they are being fed pretty often by locals and maybe even receiving health care in some cases.

Edited by bigjim

It is kind of ironic how protective we have become of both the "wild" horses and the "wild" burros as both are invasive species that are doing major damage to the very environment that they depend upon for survival. If you ever get to the area of Hot Springs, SD you should visit the Black Hills Wild Horse Sanctuary and take the guided tour. SD no longer has any free roaming horses so two very wealthy ranchers joined their properties into a very large sanctuary where they take on horsed from the BLM roundups, mostly those that for some reason can't be sold or are not adopted by anyone and the roam 11,000 acres pretty much free but their feed is supplemented in winter to allow for larger numbers than the land could otherwise support and the most amazing part ot me is that to controld the over population problem they have the mares on birthcontrol! 

Years ago, on a road trip, saw two herds of wild horses on the north side of US Hwy 6, between Tonopah and Ely Nevada.   I remember clearly there seemed to be a 'lead' horse for each herd.    The traffic was virtually non-existent, so I could stop on the highway and watch the herds... beautiful!

Edited by Jim & Alice

2007 Dolphin

• Safe-T-Plus Steering Bar

Our Blog: Click Here

10 hours ago, Jim & Alice said:

I remember clearly there seemed to be a 'lead' horse for each herd. 

Horses do have a defined social order, even if in small numbers or in domestic use. Any ranch that has more than a few horses will easily see that. A group is typically lead by the dominant mare with the alpha stud trailing the heard.

6 hours ago, Kirk W said:

Horses do have a defined social order, even if in small numbers or in domestic use. Any ranch that has more than a few horses will easily see that. A group is typically lead by the dominant mare with the alpha stud trailing the heard.

Approx. 25 years ago I sold all my horses. Sold my registered quarter horse to a woman who already had a herd of approx 20 horses. I told her she must have a pen for the horse when I delivered it or no deal. Well, she did have a pen of sorts, 4 metal gates tied into a square.

Without the pen the herd would have nearly killed him, as it was they could reach him enough to bite and nip at him. At least he could not be kicked and badly hurt. I've always wondered how that turned out, but he was no longer mine so MYOB.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

There is a small group of wild horses in SW Idaho near the bustling towns of Melba and Murphy Idaho ( West and South of Boise) on BLM land.  Camping where the horses are could be an issue, as they tend to roam a bit and the unimproved roads in the area, aren't easily traversed by RV'ers towing anything.  If you park the RV and take a UTV to the plains there, you MIGHT see them.    The BLM had been conducting regular capture and sale events annually so the herds aren't what they used to be.  I imagine that coming to SW Idaho wasn't on you list of "fun places to visit".   From July through October you can see any color of the rainbow in the landscape, so long as you expect to see tan and dull green in that rainbow.

During the 2021 Escapade, we visited the wild horse bins in Rock Springs, but didn't see any other horses running wild when we went to the flaming gorge area.

Edited by franco-bolli

+++++++++++_____________________________________+++++++++++

2021 Ram 3500  2017 Arctic Fox 25W(to be traded??)
HAM guy (Ke7FIX), photography, woodworking (mostly sawdust),
Electronics Technician,  USAF DAV

Going where everyone has gone before

event.png