Where can I see wild horses on BLM land?

homelesshartshorns

Wild horses; see them now while you can: Old approach to wild horses lingers in the new West - WyoFile

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

• 3 months later...
8 hours ago, JessieJim said:

It's my dream is to see a herd of horses🥰

It's been over 20 years ago, but I did an assignment near Reno, Nevada. While there I took a trip North and accidently found an area where a "Roundup" was going on. Hundreds of horses were being placed in a fenced in area. I did not stop to find out what was happening with them, but I did inquire when I went back to work the next week. I think it was an effort to check the health of them and potentially thin the herd. 

Several years later (after getting a computer) I looked at some sites where they "sold Mustangs" from the wild horse herds. I even saw some of them around Salt Lake City when I worked there too. 

I grew up with horses, but when I turned 16 their utility was replaced by a motorized vehicle and it wasn't until I was in my 40's that I really wanted to ride again. Was lucky in the Salt Lake area where I could ride several different horses for owners who just didn't have time to ride. As a full time travel nurse owning my own one just isn't in the cards. I rode a bit while in South Florida about 10 years ago too. 

Good luck in finding a good number together. I hope there are some still out there. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Wild horses are seen quite often along US287 between Rawlins and Lander, WY. They are also fairly common in the area around Flaming Gorge Reservoir, south of Green River WY. There are other areas as well but most people don't really know the difference between a group of wild (feral) horses and a ranch herd because they really don't look much different. The best place to see horses that you can be sure are truly free ranging is to visit the Black Hills Wild Horse Sanctuary as the horses are protected there and they give homes to horses captured in government horse roundups.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI