I95 low bridge clearance issue

I'm concerned with the 13'6"" bridge clearances on I95 in Maine. Attending the Escapees event in Bar Harbor in September and the clearances seem awful low though my 5th wheel is supposed to be 13'5".  Has anyone had any problems with this issue?

Since commercial trucks are allowed to be 13' 6" legally, it won't be a problem. In some jurisdictions, they "fudge" the overhead clearance notices, likely to reduce liability. That may be what Maine is doing. When you see all the 13' 6" trucks flying through without a care, you'll know it's okay to just go and not worry about it. Good luck. Jay

2 hours ago, rcdorosh said:

though my 5th wheel is supposed to be 13'5"

I encourage you to physically check your height.  Things that we add to our trailer do encroach into the height, like MaxxAir, satelites etc.  Best to know what you are!

Marcel

What you need is the actual height of the highest point on your trailer when hooked up to the truck.  You will have to get the trailer and truck on a level area and with the help of a friend, a long straight board and a level, measure down from the highest point on your trailer to the ground.  I would not begin to rely on the manufacturer's brochure for data.  

Our trailer shows 13'-2" in the data and we actually measure 13'-4".  My GPS and RV Trip Wizard are set for 13'-6".

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

Maybe Google Earth street view to see if the bridge is either arched or on an incline.  I have seen arched bridges with lowest point above the far right side past the solid white line at the extreme edge of the pavement.   The normal traveled lanes were somewhat above that measurement. 

4 hours ago, TXiceman said:

Our trailer shows 13'-2" in the data and we actually measure 13'-4".  My GPS and RV Trip Wizard are set for 13'-6".

We set our GPS for higher than our actual rig as well. Never wanted to have to wonder if they had repaved without remarking. Not a worry on interstates since they have a federally mandated height of 13'6" but on other roads you take your chances.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

58 minutes ago, podwerkz said:

Is that Imperial feet and inches or is that Metric feet and inches?

🤔

Let's not corn-fuse folks with math here.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

Consult a current Motor Carriers Road Atlas. it displays all the roads approved for commercial trucks. In the front it lists, by state, all overhead clearances less than federal standards.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Lots of 13-6 bridges all over the federal interstate system. When it's marked 13' 6", it means a 13 foot 6 inch high load can pass thru it. 

But I believe the OP is curious about the accuracy of the markings on his trailer, not the accuracy of the signs on the bridges.

Edited by podwerkz

Nothing to see here. 

Just to add to the confusion, sometimes there are roads that dip down to go under a bridge and then go right back up, making a shallow "v". The measurement is taken at the crossing, but when one drives under the bridge the tires are actually some distance away, meaning that you have really great ground clearance there, In other words, you are "taller" than you think.

There is probably a computer modeling program out there that could figure out your theoretical maximum height, and you could just use that as a safe maximum, Otherwise, just add a bit to whatever measurement you come up with as a safety factor. My coach is 11' 10" tall, so I have a 12' 6" minimum to reduce my pucker factor.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

1 hour ago, kb0zke said:

Just to add to the confusion, sometimes there are roads that dip down to go under a bridge and then go right back up, making a shallow "v". The measurement is taken at the crossing, but when one drives under the bridge the tires are actually some distance away, meaning that you have really great ground clearance there, In other words, you are "taller" than you think.

There is probably a computer modeling program out there that could figure out your theoretical maximum height, and you could just use that as a safe maximum, Otherwise, just add a bit to whatever measurement you come up with as a safety factor. My coach is 11' 10" tall, so I have a 12' 6" minimum to reduce my pucker factor.

I witnessed that happening one time, it was in Thermopolis WY. There is a RR underpass en-route to the state park.  The man stopped, looked at the clearnace, got back in his pickup and sped under the RR bridge. This knocked his A/C backward about 3', leaving a large hole in the roof. He never slowed, just kept driving to the park.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

1 hour ago, Ray,IN said:

I witnessed that happening one time, it was in Thermopolis WY. There is a RR underpass en-route to the state park.  The man stopped, looked at the clearnace, got back in his pickup and sped under the RR bridge. This knocked his A/C backward about 3', leaving a large hole in the roof. He never slowed, just kept driving to the park.

If I remember correctly, that is on Park St. & 12' & definitely not RV-friendly.  Need to come in via Broadway.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

4 hours ago, kb0zke said:

Just to add to the confusion, sometimes there are roads that dip down to go under a bridge and then go right back up, making a shallow "v".

There is one like that on N. Broadway in Tyler TX. It is also a RR underpass and it catches a big truck several times each year. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

• 2 weeks later...

Can you tell me which overpasses are 13' 6" on I-95 in Maine? I can't find any under 14'. I just drove the length of I-95 with the exception of the Exit 52 to the Gardiner Service Plaza and I don't recall seeing any that low. (We get off at 52 which is the Falmouth Spur crossover to I-295 and then take 295 north to Gardiner and rejoin 95). I am 13' 2".

For Bar Harbor i would take I-95N from the NH border to Exit 52, 52 to I-295N (watch the I-295 on ramp - it really is 15 mph), I-295N to rejoining I-95N at Gardiner, I-95N to Exit 182A/I-395 to US-1A, I-395 to US-1A Ellsworth/US-1, US-1N to ME-3S to Bar Harbor. While traffic will be lighter after Labor Day it might still be a parade on ME-3 on Fridays. Try to avoid it.

I can say that listed clearances in Maine mean a rig of that height will clear it. I know that because I called MDOT and asked when I bought the rig.

Jinx and Wayne

Jinx and Wayne

2006 Carriage Carri-Lite 36KSQ

Northern states fudge the clearance to allow for snow and Ice pack in the winter. I am 13'6 exactly. Should not have any trouble on any interstate anywhere. 

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.