fuel cost

GlennWest

I traveled some this week testing and such for  a new job. I filled up my smartcar and cost $32.00. Little over $3.00 per gallon. Wondering if this is cramping anyone's  traveling.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

We are heading 1,100 miles South to Florida on Saturday. Topped off the truck yesterday at $3.85/gal. Up from $3.57 two weeks ago. Predictions now are that oil will go to $125/barrel this Spring. In the Spring of 2008, oil was $129/barrel. The average price of diesel was $4.45/gal.

We have 3 months of reservations so we are going to bite the bullet and go. Will likely try to cut back on some in and around travel and try to limit other expenditures.

Edited by trailertraveler

We paid over $5/gal on our Alaska trip.  It was worth it.  I remember the trip long after the pain of filling up has passed.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

We went to Yellowstone in the Fall of 2008. Diesel was $4.45/gal in and around the park. There were significantly fewer RVers than in the previous and subsequent years. That might also be the case this year, Hopefully, easing the availability of campgrounds resulting from rapid increase in the popularity of Rving during the pandemic.

I like that line of logic.  Higher fuel might free up some space in campgrounds, especially those in remote areas.

We have several trips planned for this year, some significant distances from home.  At our age, I'm not letting the price of fuel get between me and enjoying my remaining years.  I'll cut back somewhere else.  Just find me a cheaper nursing home.....

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

I fueled in San Diego this morning at $4.89 for diesel and a station down the street was $5.09.  $100 did not fill up my service truck, and I was just a tad under 1/2 tank.  My new philosophy is, if there is room in the tanks, then I fuel, because it isnt likely to go down anytime soon.  Oh, and ya, summer blend is here.  Just another excuse to get into our pocket, way deeply.  No way oil companies need to make such high profit margins.  But it is the game they play and we're all sitting at the table.

Marcel

We haven't slowed down yet, like others we remember when it was $5 per gallon for diesel. It will just be less money our kids will get when we pass on.

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

21 minutes ago, Star Dreamer said:

We haven't slowed down yet, like others we remember when it was $5 per gallon for diesel. It will just be less money our kids will get when we pass on.

And that doesnt have to be a BAD thing.  Enjoy the fruits of the labor you have expended.

Marcel

3 hours ago, Randyretired said:

Are campground fees also going up like everything else?

Based on recent reservations at locations that we stayed last year, I would say yes. Some are doing things like charging a couple of dollars extra for 50 amp, charging a fee for using a credit card and or charging a reservation fee. A park that we have stayed at many times in the past now has a 2 night minimum if you want to make a reservation online or by phone.

In 2013 when we went on the road fulltime, we budgeted for $4.00glgas or diesel.  Anytime we filled the truck, original Dodge or now the Volvo, and it's been less than $4.00 a gallon then its a bonus for us.  Having the Smart car does help this now, but we fulltimed with only the Volvo for 4 years.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

17 hours ago, rpsinc said:

No way oil companies need to make such high profit margins. 

Not sure what the profit margin is, but within the past 2 years oil has gone from a low of -$37/barrel in April 2020 to the current $90/barrel. That has to wreak havac on any business model.

I have a good friend who's spent his working life hedging oil and gas prices for oil companies.  By oil companies, I mean exploration, drilling, pipeline, and refining.  They need to pre-sell (hedge) when they feel prices will net a profit, to get them through the lean times, so in the end, they make a profit for the share holders.

What that means, is that many companies contracted to buy, or sell, crude at $60 and now it's at $90.  Some are kicking themselves, while others are glad to make up for previous losses.  

Like an old uncle said, "If you think he's making too much, try it yourself".

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

17 hours ago, Randyretired said:

Are campground fees also going up like everything else?

Yes.  In our area prices are up anywhere from $5-10 per night and customer service and friendliness is down.  I am getting the impression in some places the attitude is “if you don’t want the site, someone else will”.  My personal opinion is, though, the pandemic is coming to an end (hopefully) and a lot of those “new” campers are going to go back into hotels and resorts with the kids, lots of lightly used campers will become available, and campgrounds may see a lot of empty spaces.  Of course my opinion only.  The pendulum swings widely during wild times but always settles toward the bottom as things quiet down.

Edited by SuiteSuccess

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

7 hours ago, jayco1 said:

Maybe one way to eliminate fuel sicker shock would be small tanks. 

True. if you're not good at math.  Bigger tanks may hurt to fill, but less often.  I'll take the savings of filling less often and travel more.

My motorcycles only cost $12-$15 to fill, but I don't get very far between stops.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

2 minutes ago, rickeieio said:

“I don't get very far between stops.”

And we know why, 🤣🤣

AUo2XRkl.jpg

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

10 hours ago, jayco1 said:

Several years ago we had a MH on a large Kenworth chassis, tanks were low, was in a high fuel price area, cost $1000   to fill, will never forget. Maybe one way to eliminate fuel sicker shock would be small tanks. 

You don’t have to fill them full. Planning your fuel buying can make a big difference. Big difference in prices, even across state lines depending on tax rates.

Ran across Canada many times. Buy the minimum amount to get back to the States.

When we returned to home base mid-december, Costco and Sams club were a buck below going price for a week. $2.85. Setting at ¼ full, we topped up. Now ready for next outing. 

Interesting how neither have Diesel pumps in Arizona.  Not sure why. Only a few Costco stores in utah have diesel. Takes a while to fill, and those behind you are not happy. Oh well.

Edited by trimster

Robert & Lisa
'14 Keystone Fuzion 315 38' 5er

2015 Volvo VNL 670, D13, iShift 'The Tartis' (ours)

2013 Smart Fortwo Passion 'K-9'

2011 CanAm Spyder RT Limited (Ours)

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

The nearest Costco to us is about 20 miles. very near the nearest truck stop where you could use one of the "discount cards".  Costco has been considerably cheaper than the others, even factoring the card discount.  And yes, the island/drive arrangement makes it impossible to get in hooked up.  So, we make a fuel/grocery run.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN