3G being killed

agesilaus

What is a person to do? Will there be a fix or is it 1999 again when it's all worry and then nothing happened???

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

3G cell service is a 20 year old technology. Some 3G devices and even 4G devices that use 3G to validate their service will require replacement with newer devices. Other embedded devices like older OnStar systems will cease to function with no direct upgrades available. You can file complaints with your carrier, but they will likely be at the end of a very long line. All 4G and up devices that support VoLTE ("HD Voice") will continue to function normally except for not dropping down to 3G in poor/no 4G areas if any still exist.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Not sure how much weight there is to that idea - stopping 3G. There are too many devices that rely on it. I think LTE/broadband sits between 3G and 5G, if I have my terminology right (I have Sprint and can force between LTE and CDMA - CDMA being equivalent to 3G, and my phone is not 5G capable).

Without going on a tangent too far that may have unwanted ruffled feathers - there are some nefarious purposes intermingled with 5G that I believe will be shut down. There will be a "push" for 5G from a certain segment of industry/technology - and it isn't all for good reasons. As to when - either 5G getting shut down, or there being a significant gear shift away from nefarious purposes - no idea on a timeline. And for the same reason - I can see there being an extension to the lifespan of 3G technology if there are blocks to what we see advertised as "5G" today.

2 hours ago, FlyFishn said:

Not sure how much weight there is to that idea - stopping 3G. There are too many devices that rely on it. I think LTE/broadband sits between 3G and 5G, if I have my terminology right (I have Sprint and can force between LTE and CDMA - CDMA being equivalent to 3G, and my phone is not 5G capable).

Without going on a tangent too far that may have unwanted ruffled feathers - there are some nefarious purposes intermingled with 5G that I believe will be shut down. There will be a "push" for 5G from a certain segment of industry/technology - and it isn't all for good reasons. As to when - either 5G getting shut down, or there being a significant gear shift away from nefarious purposes - no idea on a timeline. And for the same reason - I can see there being an extension to the lifespan of 3G technology if there are blocks to what we see advertised as "5G" today.

If your phone is 4G/LTE capable, most likely your ok when 3G shuts down. 5G is not needed for it to keep working. CDMA goes away with 3G since it will no longer serve any purpose. 5G will not be "shutting down" any time soon and will most certainly continue to expand. I don't know what "nefarious purposes" you're thinking of, but 5G is fundamentally nothing but a wide spread group of various radio signals like many others. We'll have to wait another couple of weeks to see how serious AT&T is about shutting 3G down, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting on any significant extensions.

Dutch

3 hours ago, FlyFishn said:

Without going on a tangent too far that may have unwanted ruffled feathers - there are some nefarious purposes intermingled with 5G that I believe will be shut down.

The "5G conspiracy theory" machine has been going full tilt for several years.  Here's an article that examines and disposes of several of the leading 5G conspiracy theories:  

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I think my favorite bogus 5G claim was on another forum when a fellow said that 5G was dangerous because it uses "all new frequencies that never existed before"... :)

Dutch

We just made the switch to 5G on our Verizon cell phones and won't be looking back any time soon. Would really like to see how good it is in a area that had the Ultra Wide band but for now it's way better than the 4G LTE here in Yuma.

Denny

Denny & Jami SKP#90175
Most Timing with Mac our Scottie, RIP Jasper our Westie
2013 F350 SC DRW 6.2 V8 4.30 Gears
2003 HH Premier 35FKTG Home Base Nebraska

36 minutes ago, Kirk W said:

Thanks to Kirk for posting the article I forgot to provide a link to.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

20 minutes ago, D&J said:

We just made the switch to 5G on our Verizon cell phones and won't be looking back any time soon. Would really like to see how good it is in a area that had the Ultra Wide band but for now it's way better than the 4G LTE here in Yuma.

Denny

Had a 5g phone for a few months. Have not seen 5g yet

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

3 hours ago, GlennWest said:

Had a 5g phone for a few months. Have not seen 5g yet

We've been seeing 4G/LTE speeds approaching 100 Mbps on Verizon in more and more places.  With speeds like that I don't care if it's 5G or not!

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

We each have i-phones that were acquired from AT&T which are not 5G enabled. Pam got hers in Nov. of 2019(XR and mine was in June of 2020(SE). AT&T reports both to be 4G capable and Apple says that they support phones for 6-8 years. The "experts" seem to be saying that 4G will be around for at least another 10 years.

Edited by Kirk W

1 hour ago, GlennWest said:

Not complaining. Just stating. Our speed is great. Don't see how 5 g can be an improvement.

Starlink is reportedly running up to 150 MB/sec but is pricey and has a long wait list. $500 for the antenna and $100/mo. And it runs on a cell system linked to earth stations which you may or may not be able to connect to.

They are offering a super starlink that supposedly runs at 300 MB/sec but is vaporware right now an very pricey. $2500 for the antenna is what I heard.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/44138/the-3g-shutdown-could-put-some-ev-chargers-out-of-action talks about many electric car charging stations using older 3G networks.  I am sure the vendor selling such equipment to them gave them a great deal, without telling them the issue.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

38 minutes ago, agesilaus said:

Starlink is reportedly running up to 150 MB/sec but is pricey and has a long wait list. $500 for the antenna and $100/mo. And it runs on a cell system linked to earth stations which you may or may not be able to connect to.

Starlink download speeds do appear to vary by location and time of day but, at our home base in coastal TX, mine typically are about ~250Mbps.  FWIW the service has been extremely reliable; it averages less than one minute of unavailability per day.  Latency times are in the 30-40 msec range. 

Starlink's earth stations serve to connect the satellite system to the "internet backbone".  The ground stations don't constitute another cell system.    They are invisible as far as users are concerned and uplink speeds are in the 30-40 Mbps range.

Edited by docj

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

1 hour ago, docj said:

Starlink's earth stations serve to connect the satellite system to the "internet backbone".  The ground stations don't constitute another cell system. 

And they do nothing to support smart phones, as far as I know.   😏

2 hours ago, agesilaus said:

They are offering a super starlink that supposedly runs at 300 MB/sec but is vaporware right now an very pricey. $2500 for the antenna is what I heard.

Just to be clear, you do not need cell service to use a Starlink subscriber terminal.

Dutch

4 hours ago, GlennWest said:

Not complaining. Just stating. Our speed is great. Don't see how 5 g can be an improvement.

If you were in a area that has poor 4GLTE because it's overloaded so it's slow you would realize why 5G works better. 

4G is going to be just like 3G when 4G came along and they stopped building out 3G. 

Denny

Denny & Jami SKP#90175
Most Timing with Mac our Scottie, RIP Jasper our Westie
2013 F350 SC DRW 6.2 V8 4.30 Gears
2003 HH Premier 35FKTG Home Base Nebraska

1 hour ago, Dutch_12078 said:

you do not need cell service to use a Starlink subscriber terminal.

I thought that this thread was about cell phones and cellular service? Does Starlink supply phone service?

Edited by Kirk W