Credit card fraud

bruce t

Just a timely reminder to watch your credit card buying and details. For the 3rd time in about 15 years my credit card has been hacked. Luckily my bank sends a text message if any "unusual" purchases are made. I got a text and phoned the bank. They immediately cancelled the card. Someone had tried to use it several times. A subscription, $23.00, to Netfix was all that got through. (Why Netflix let if is another question). I'm anal about my card use. Watch my statement all the time. Like every few days. Have only 2 automatic charges on it. Don't use Amazon or such with the card. But still my card detail were leaked.

Just be careful.

Have had same happen over the years.  Last one was last month.  Card company texted and asked if I made a suspicious purchase and I said, no.  Card was shut off, charge canceled and new one, new number was sent to me.  I just finished getting my accounts straightened out, most our SnB expenses go on my card as automatic payments.  BTW, the freaking charge was for .40 cents... they were testing the waters before I would guess would have been a much bigger charge/theft.  I wish I could just cancel all my cards and go back to cash, getting tired of the B.S. these idiots pull.  Get a job and earn what you have, don't be a dayum scumbag thief.  When I was in the service, I returned from a deployment to find a nasty letter from my CC company at the time demanding payment... my card was maxed out.  Funny, or sad thing, was it listed the company name/phone number on the bill.  I called them, after a brief discussion, they reversed all the charges.  The dumb-arse actually gave them his real phone number he was calling from.  I called it, he was proud of his... misdeads.  Called again only his wife answered that time.... I explained why I was calling and told her about his 1-900 sex number obsession.  She was not very happy about it, would have loved to have been a fly on that wall when he got home.

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

We have two cards so if one gets hacked, we can use the other. Dave does keep a close watch on activity on the cards, though. And our security is so good they wouldn't let me buy a replacement iPad late Friday just before Christmas a few years ago. I had to use my hidden debit card for that one. Another time many years ago, the credit card company on the phone had the sales clerk look at Dave's driver's license picture to see if it looked like him; I thought that was a creative solution. We were buying electronics that time, too, TV and stereo.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

I got my first credit card in the 1970s. I have had one time that a credit card was compromised. This was about 5 years ago. The card was cancelled and a new card received the next day. The 2 credit cards that I have provide alerts by email or text for any purchase made without the card being presented and any purchase above an amount that I can set to any amount from $1 up. They also provide free credit monitoring. I have on occasion received inquiries from my credit card companies as we travel cross country to verify that the charges being made at different locations are really mine. Because my information was thought to be in some of the major data breeches of private companies and government agencies, I also have free monitoring from Experion and a government contracted monitoring service.

Edited by trailertraveler

It all makes you wonder where the weak link is. Is it an employee somewhere 'selling' information? It can't be just random. Guessing a number is one thing. But linking it up with an expiry date and the number is just to coincidental. There has to be 'inside' links somewhere. That's where the hammer needs to fall. A VERY heavily.

1 hour ago, trailertraveler said:

I got my first credit card in the 1970s. I have had one time that a credit card was compromised. This was about 5 years ago...............................

Welcome to the new world.

In the past five years I have had about a dozen credit card replacements.  Only a couple have been to somebody stealing the credit card information.  Most have been to corporations allowing the stealing of my credit card information.

However, if you go to Alaska.  Be sure to have a spare credit card in your wallet.

I pretty much know where the card information got stolen....at a campground outside of Denali National Park!!  Run by a bunch of Russian kids.....really you steal the credit card information from a guy named VLADIMIR!!!  They didn't cut me any breaks!!!  I have NO IDEA why they didn't pick on native born Americans!!!

Anyway, they did go ahead and make FAKE cards that were processed in Omaha, NB!!!  We got the call just as we were leaving a village in the Yukon.   I had to immediately pull over and turn on the phone amplifier to keep the connection!!

They can run up a huge bill while your out of cell phone range in Alaska or the Yukon.

I did take to erasing the three digit code on the back so they cannot order over the phone or internet.

Vladimr Steblina

Retired Forester...exploring the public lands.

usbackroads.blogspot.com

Only three times in 15 years? Not bad! Like Linda, we have multiple cards so we're not up the creek if one gets compromised. Our most recent experience was a couple of months ago when several walk-in/manual entry purchases were made at Walmart... in Livingston. We haven't been there in at least three or four years and I can't imagine how that happened.🤔

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

I have all my cards, credit and debit, notify me of any charge over $1.   And I check them.  (All via text/SMS.)

For me, though, I get rejected by fraud because of myself, somehow.  As an RV'er, I'm guessing they think:  "Wait, he was in Florida an hour ago, now he's in Louisiana?  FRAUD!".  Annoying, but preferable.

MyRVRadio - Streaming online 24/7 at MyRVRadio.com and via mobile apps! Content for RVers from RVers.   2018 Grand Design Momentum 399TH • 2019 Ford F-350 (DRW)
2016 Harley-Davidson Heritage • 2013 Harley Sportster with a sidecar
Web: https://MyRVRadio.com • Facebook: https://fb.com/MyRVRadio  

1 hour ago, Second Chance said:

. in Livingston. We haven't been there in at least three or four years and I can't imagine how that happened.🤔

Rob

My first thought would be someone at the Escapees office was able somehow to see my credit card number.

From my experience, I believe people at motels desk are suspects. I was at Del Rio about 15 years ago when the clerk wanted different ID's to verify my Visa. When he wanted to make a copy of my Drivers license and another picture ID I said NO and I took his picture.

Another motel in Kansas, the fellow had trouble used my card so he said. Finally he called asking for another card which he didn't get. The next day I called the credit company and that morning a couple items had been purchased by a east coast individual, They are among us.

Clay

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

Between the 2 of us we have 3 credit cards. All 3 notify of every purchase. My bank account is also set to notify of every transaction and the bank & all 3 cards also send an email of all transactions, daily. Any credit card that doesn't have that service would not get my business. In addition, I have gone to using a phone app for credit card use in any business that I can, which is pretty much everyone but Walmart, as those are considered to be much more secure than actual use of the cards. 

Edited by Kirk W

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

On 2/6/2022 at 7:09 AM, Kirk W said:

Between the 2 of us we have 3 credit cards. All 3 notify of every purchase. My bank account is also set to notify of every transaction and the bank & all 3 cards also send an email of all transactions, daily. Any credit card that doesn't have that service would not get my business. In addition, I have gone to using a phone app for credit card use in any business that I can, which is pretty much everyone but Walmart, as those are considered to be much more secure than actual use of the cards. 

Kroger stores also don't have the ability to use the phone apps yet, and I have let them know they are losing my business because of it.   I too like the phone apps, the 'card' number is a one-time number generated by the system that can't be used again for another transaction and it is not your credit card number.   

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

We got our first card in 1975, just after we were married.  My wife still has that account.  In all that time, we've had one incident where my card was shut down because the business where I'd last used it had been compromised.  Nothing was charged to my card, but I didn't find out until I tried to use it to pay for 120 gal of diesel 1,000 miles from home.  Called the company and they sent a new card to our next stop.  Of course, this happened just minutes after our brake controller failed, locking up all six trailer wheels, with brand new tires.  So, card bad, tires toasted, need fuel..........

When I got back in the truck, my bride said, "Look at the bright side.  Fuel is cheap here."

So, yes, I've received texts about suspicious activity when fueling in the Yukon, or Prince Edward Island, or Arizona, but we've never been hacked.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

1 hour ago, rickeieio said:

So, yes, I've received texts about suspicious activity when fueling in the Yukon, or Prince Edward Island, or Arizona, but we've never been hacked.

My favorite card security incident was some years ago we stopped with our RV in the Detroit MI area to see the sites. We were staying in an RV park in a southeast suburb and one evening on the way back to our RV I stopped at at a convenience store near the highway exit and bought a six-pack of beer and some chips. They ran my card and it was very slow in responding, when my phone signaled a text. When I looked at the text it asked me to OK a purchase if it was me, which I did. I later contacted my card security and was told that the place I made the purchase was a store with a high frequency of stolen card use as well as being different from my usual purchasing pattern. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

1 hour ago, Kirk W said:

I later contacted my card security and was told that the place I made the purchase was a store with a high frequency of stolen card use as well as being different from my usual purchasing pattern. 

I would have been keeping a close watch on that card after having received that warning about the location.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

One of the biggest problems I ever have with our cards is that the wife and I both ride motorcycles.  Since we use our Amazon Visa as our primary card, sometimes, at separate pumps, I'll get an issue because we both use it.  Maybe... 10 times in 5 years because of this.  In that case, I just flip to the debit card.  But it looks like fraud, sometimes.

And like others have said, moving around a lot as an RV'er, we could be 10 hours between stops before we use the credit card (the fuel is usually on the TSD card).  That can definitely trigger fraud.

MyRVRadio - Streaming online 24/7 at MyRVRadio.com and via mobile apps! Content for RVers from RVers.   2018 Grand Design Momentum 399TH • 2019 Ford F-350 (DRW)
2016 Harley-Davidson Heritage • 2013 Harley Sportster with a sidecar
Web: https://MyRVRadio.com • Facebook: https://fb.com/MyRVRadio  

On 2/5/2022 at 6:11 PM, Vladimir said:

Welcome to the new world.

I did take to erasing the three digit code on the back so they cannot order over the phone or internet.

I realize *you* know what the missing numbers are, but have the "missing" numbers ever caused a problem at a card reader (gas pump, or?) ?

BTW - at one time the fraudulent "add-on" readers at self-service gas pumps were running rampant - at least in CA. *If* it was external device it could be spotted.  However, apparently at one time the perps were actually caught opening the pump housing (which the guy in the mini mart or? couldn't see) to insert their "cheater" reader device internally. (They had a bogus key for the housings......gas pump version of RV storage compt keys ??, LOL)

Fond memories of "old world" cards:  my first credit cards (gas stations) were prior to 1966.  I had a bunch - as I figured use would help establish credit for a 25 yr old "kid".  Must have worked well - purchased a new 1966 El Camino.  After filling out paper work, the dealer called me back the same day - and said something to the effect - he was amazed my credit was approved a few hours later.

Now it's just the Vista, MC, and Discover - & have been alerted to only one fraud attempt over the years.

Edited by Pappy Yokum
puncuation

3 hours ago, Pappy Yokum said:

I realize *you* know what the missing numbers are, but have the "missing" numbers ever caused a problem at a card reader (gas pump, or?) ?

BTW - at one time the fraudulent "add-on" readers at self-service gas pumps were running rampant - at least in CA. *If* it was external device it could be spotted.  However, apparently at one time the perps were actually caught opening the pump housing (which the guy in the mini mart or? couldn't see) to insert their "cheater" reader device internally. (They had a bogus key for the housings......gas pump version of RV storage compt keys ??, LOL)

The card readers don't "read" the printed CVV (Card Verification Value) code. It's purpose is to serve as verification that you have physical possession of the card as a security measure. Obviously that verification is not needed when a reader is used.

I have noticed that there seems to be far fewer reports of illicit card readers on fuel pumps since the introduction of the chipped cards.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

A BIGGER problem is paying with cash. Silly as it seems but we have had funny looks while handing over $100.00+ cash before being allowed to pump.

On another tangent!! If you think other folks stealing your information and using it to buy stuff is bad. Then where does 'big brother' and data companies sit farming your data every time you use your card? Buy a frying pan at Camping World and you get all sorts of junk advertising RV stuff. Handing out your credit card details is no worse than your computer watching every web site you look at!

• 1 year later...

In the past 10 years, we have had suspicious activity on our credit cards, ie hacked, on three occassions.  We have set our cards to send us a text message on any charge of $1.00 or more.  One charge came from a place in Alaska, and we were in PA.  The last one was in the UK and we were in Houston, TX.  Both times, I got the text alert before the card carrier contacted me.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot