Any OTR Truckers on the forum?

Vegas Teacher

Since you specifically asked about OTR, I will tell you it's primarily a young, unattached man's game, OR you have a marriage that can sustain itself perfectly well while you're separated from your spouse/kids for weeks on end.  It doesn't have to be that way with local and regional jobs available.

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

33 minutes ago, spindrift said:

Since you specifically asked about OTR, I will tell you it's primarily a young, unattached man's game, OR you have a marriage that can sustain itself perfectly well while you're separated from your spouse/kids for weeks on end.  It doesn't have to be that way with local and regional jobs available.

Thanks! Considering a career change. No kids.

As an OTR owner operator for thirty plus years while also raising a family, I can tell you it's a rewarding and interesting career -- but it's certainly not for everyone. You absolutely have to have the personality and spouse for it. You can try it on for size and see if it works for you. That's really the only way you can know for certain. Good luck! Jay

P.S. BTW, in regards to the young unattached man comment, I'm over 70 and still working flatbed freight. Also, my late wife and I were married for forty years. It's all in your goals and motivations.

Edited by Jaydrvr

Am not and have not been one. Aspired to be one out of High School, many years ago, but took a different path. A few years ago I bought an HDT and still think I'd like to try the OTR lifestyle right now the pay for my current career is pretty good and driving won't be any where close. I like my job and get to drive my truck every few months so it's good. I still think about trying to drive for a few years, buy the new truck they get for me and then enjoy the full time life slowly enjoying the scenery. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

3 minutes ago, Darryl&Rita said:

Get her a CDL, run team, rake in the cash.

I don't have a Her, but agree with the concept. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2007 Honda GL 1800

2 minutes ago, lappir said:

I don't have a Her, but agree with the concept. 

That was posted with hoof firmly in mouth. There just ain't anyway in trucking to rake in the cash, but team driving within the same household helps.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

3 minutes ago, Darryl&Rita said:

That was posted with hoof firmly in mouth. There just ain't anyway in trucking to rake in the cash, but team driving within the same household helps.

I knew that and with my current career path, driving won't ever come close to the green I'm currently earning with much less stress. 

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

48 minutes ago, Jaydrvr said:

As an OTR owner operator for thirty plus years while also raising a family, I can tell you it's a rewarding and interesting career -- but it's certainly not for everyone. You absolutely have to have the personality and spouse for it. You can try it on for size and see if it works for you. That's really the only way you can know for certain. Good luck! Jay

P.S. BTW, in regards to the young unattached man comment, I'm over 70 and still working flatbed freight. Also, my late wife and I were married for forty years. It's all in your goals and motivations.

And that's why I said, "OR".

God Bless, you're part of the few, the lucky, the very brave.

2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M

30 minutes ago, spindrift said:

And that's why I said, "OR".

God Bless, you're part of the few, the lucky, the very brave.

Thank you. I don't think I would qualify for the lucky and brave part. I'd like to think it represents classic Americana - a vision, tenacity and hard work. Plus, a great wife who fully supported me. Jay

BTDT, when I realized I could get around Chicago without a map, figured something needed to change.

Now seriously, it can be a decent career. You just need to make good choices. Like many other jobs, it’s crap starting out and paying your dues. Once you spend 5 years or so with a carrier that provides training, you can make moves to improve your career. Once you have some time in, there are good opportunities that pay hourly and you are not living in a tin can at a truck stop. You just need to figure out what you want to do. Myself, if I were to go back to driving, I would look for a tank or dry bulk trailer to pull. Even if you have to unload yourself, hook up a hose and away it goes.

I was lucky that I learned to drive on the farm and OTR through the school of hard knocks. Didn’t have to spend time “training”. It was too much time on the road for us with a family, but that said, in my current job I travel about 50% of the time anyway. Have a 16 yr old son here that thinks he wants to drive for a living. I’m not discouraging him. There are many worse choices.

2 hours ago, Darryl&Rita said:

Get her a CDL, run team, rake in the cash.

Not sure about the rake in the cash part.  

I have a couple that are working for me that were a driving team for 15 years and he drove for another 15-20.  They were owner/operators the entire time.  In a conversation with them, their take is that unless you are a company driver, driving their trucks under their insurance and their fuel, its getting tough to make it.  While there are successful O/O, most have been in business long enough to have dedicated routes and loads. 

Jim's Adventures

Old Spacecraft.... Who knows whats next

A lot of people are looking at truck driving of any kind right now. No doubt freight re-location will be a top need for a very long time, but like anything else, there is a line between not enough trucks and drivers and too many trucks and drivers. Those that are owner/op with a truck that is paid for, and the experience to know what price to leave and what price to take have a chance to weather the lows. Those with payments on new paint, not so much.

Asking here and many other places is a great way to get the info one needs. But don't be afraid to stop in at a truck stop and ask around either. Buy a cup of coffee for someone and you might just make a new friend or two and get the real scoop on otr today. Some drivers like having someone to talk to, and most love to talk trucks and trucking. Youtube is also full of trucking videos. Watch some and you get to weed through the hot air channels and the ones that really know what they are saying.

One thing that seems constant in most all otr stories today, is you can't let your guard down or attention sway at all. Forgetting to lock your doors when going to bed, even in mid day, or leaving your door open while you do a walk around, will get you robbed right quick like is some areas.

I personally would love the driving part, but no way would I make it as a company driver, and as an owner/operator, I just could'nt deal with a lot of the people you have to do business with and places you have to get in to to get a load or drop one.

I'm a work'n on it.

20 minutes ago, Deezl Smoke said:

I personally would love the driving part, but no way would I make it as a company driver, and as an owner/operator, I just could'nt deal with a lot of the people you have to do business with and places you have to get in to to get a load or drop one.

While I havent and dont have aspirations of getting into the trucking industry, my 730 is strictly for my pleasure as an RV hauler.  I have spent the last 30+ years working on another other side of the trucking industry.  I install loading dock equipment in warehouses.  Been self-employed the entire time and yes, there are some of those people that are just hard to deal with and some that I have chosen NOT to deal with, but thankfully, at this point in my life I am trying to retire and get to the place where I dont HAVE to deal with them.  While most of my work was about getting jobs done, which is all about the destination, I really want my future to be about the journey.

I hope I get my wish!

Marcel

Our daughter was happy as an OTR driver for many years but she recently quit driving as hours required kept getting longer and longer and the desire for home time got stronger and stronger.

She drove a company truck. Said the way to make money is to be active. Before you deliver the current load, start asking your driver manager what he has next for you. Don't wait until you deliver one load to look for the next because you are not making money during that search time.

Linda

Edited by sandsys
added second paragraph

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

I grew up in a trucking family. My grand pa started in the 40s. My dad and uncle in the 70s and me in the early 90s. I drove long haul for 5 years. Seen 47 states and a part of Canada. I loved it. But I decided to quit when I came home, and my kids didn't know me anymore. I got a job with a local farmer and that is when my wife and I realized we didn't like each other that much. We got along good 2 weekends a month but every day not so much. So anyway a few years we divorced, and I am now remarried. Then a little later my boss made me partner in the farm and now we have 5 trucks. 3 grain trailers, 2 side dumps, a detachable low boy and a 53 ft drop deck. I run every day locally. One truck run's part time and the other 3 are for farm use. At least once a month I ask whose dumb idea was it to but all these darn trucks. Oh, yea that was me. 

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

@Vegas Teacher I recommend that you join the Truckers Report Forum.  Equal to Escapees in regard to quality and the professionalism of its members.

There are many areas of trucking.  As has been said, do your research in order to identify what area might be best for your lifestyle/personality.

Edited by spindrift

2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M

Assuming your school district is somewhat similar to my cousins, as far as pension plan and salary go, I'd stick to where you are. You paid big $$$ for the education to get into the classroom, and the long-term benefits are where the money lies. It may not seem like it now, but the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

On 2/3/2022 at 8:31 AM, Vegas Teacher said:

I would like to say thanks to all who responded to this thread, it has given me much to think about. This is also what I love about the HDT forum, people are always willing to share with others on the forum who ask questions.

Sincerely,

Cory Ossana

Look in to expedited FedEx freight, you can have a real nice truck with a box on the back of it and make a good living. I is one that had several trucks on the road for many years, if I was is to do it over again that’s the way I would go. 

GCTaaehl.jpg