Hi All. We've started

Den

Well we are finally on the road, but not without mishaps.  I'll talk about those later.

Now I have a question in two parts.

Is a water pressure gauge needed?  If so what would you suggest I get.

Is a surge protector needed (I am pretty sure it is).  If what would you suggest I get.

Thanks every one.  You have been great.

Pressure regulator is most of the time needed. 

A way to check the power before you plug in or a power management system that should prevent a faulty system from damaging your rig. They may prevent a "Surge" but not always. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Water pressure regulator definitely - I’ve stayed at parks that say their water pressure could reach up to 100 psi in places.  My trailer was only designed for somewhere between 40 and 50, don’t want any plumbing leaks caused by high pressure.

I have a Progressive Industries EMS (electrical management system).  It protects against both high voltage and low voltage (which can also be damaging), plus wiring problems like reversed polarity or open ground.  You can get cheaper surge protectors but they don’t protect against as many things. 

Water pressure regulator is a must - I went with the cheap ones to begin with and found they failed after a year or so, so bought an expensive one with the needle to show you the pressure.  Bad thing is they can't be out in freezing weather or they break....two of those later, I saw a post from another RVer about one that is set at 55 gpm and is a reasonable price.  On my 2nd one of those ONLY because I left the first one somewhere this summer.  You can look at a dozen of the regulators on Amazon and then price check other places to get the best deal.

Surge protectors are also important and you can go several ways ($-$$).  I have a Progressive portable (not hard wired) and like it because it's easy to read and has been on the spot when low voltage or another problem shows up.  Since I full time and visit lots of parks each year I like having a beefy EMS to watch over my trailer.

Hey fpmtngal, we were typing at the same time!

A water pressure regulator is a very important thing to have as some areas have much higher water pressures than RVs are designed for. Many of us prefer one of the adjustable regulators similar to the one in the attached picture. I would consider a high flow regulator like the second one as the minimum but if I were to buy today I'd get this one from Amazon.

81GnAgVzXsL._AC_SR135,135_.jpg        images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRjbWHfFJRjI_sfsb1p44c

On the surge protector, there are a lot of products that you will find with the surge protector name and the lower price ones only protect you from power surges. As a retired electrical service tech I consider one of the better units that has high & low voltage protection, and electrical fault protections to be very important. Electric power issues seldom take out your equipment on the first experience but each time such happens the result is a shorter lifespan for any equipment in use at the time. To me the purchase of one is just like doing preventive maintenance. I have been using one since 2001. What I recommend is that you get a 50A or 30A as your RV needs in either a Progressive EMS or one of the Southwire Surge Guards. There are several other brands which I have no experience with but that may well work and there are also many cheap devices that do much less by way of protection, if this becomes a budget issue.

Edited by Kirk W

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Just to clarify:  A water pressure gauge is different than a regulator. Some regulators have gauges, but many do not. There is not really a reason to have a gauge unless you have an adjustable regulator and want to adjust it to a specific pressure. If you have a pre-set regulator you don't need a gauge. 

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

I won't try to characterize what  "most of us prefer", but I will say that after many of years of full-timing with an adjustable regulator, I changed over to a fixed, high-volume regulator and now very much prefer it.  They are compact, less expensive, and work very well.  I use this High Flow Fixed Water Pressure Regulator from the RV Water Filter Store. 

My experience is that "most folks" with adjustable regulators set them once and then never again mess with them. I had one, but I got tired of the bulk, the need to occasionally re-build them, the fact that the pressure gauge will be damaged in a freeze and need to be replaced, etc. 

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

44 minutes ago, dirtyboots said:

Water pressure regulator is a must - I went with the cheap ones to begin with and found they failed after a year or so, so bought an expensive one with the needle to show you the pressure.  Bad thing is they can't be out in freezing weather or they break....two of those later, I saw a post from another RVer about one that is set at 55 gpm and is a reasonable price.  On my 2nd one of those ONLY because I left the first one somewhere this summer.  You can look at a dozen of the regulators on Amazon and then price check other places to get the best deal.

Surge protectors are also important and you can go several ways ($-$$).  I have a Progressive portable (not hard wired) and like it because it's easy to read and has been on the spot when low voltage or another problem shows up.  Since I full time and visit lots of parks each year I like having a beefy EMS to watch over my trailer.

Hey fpmtngal, we were typing at the same time!

Is this a matter of great minds think alike?  BTW, I thought the hard-wired EMS too much install for me so I also use the portable.  Works well and has warned me several times of potential issues.

1 hour ago, mptjelgin said:

the RV Water Filter Store.

Many of us believe this is the bast source for anything related to water in an RV. They even make hoses to order. I got a short one to go between the regulator and a filter so I could stand the filter casing on the ground then a long hose to go to the RV itself.

https://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/rv-water-filters-and-systems-rv-water-filter-store

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

18 minutes ago, sandsys said:

Many of us believe this is the bast source for anything related to water in an RV. They even make hoses to order. I got a short one to go between the regulator and a filter so I could stand the filter casing on the ground then a long hose to go to the RV itself.

https://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/rv-water-filters-and-systems-rv-water-filter-store

Linda Sand

I use a 3 foot Flexzilla hose for our filter lead in. $10 on Amazon...

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Thanks everyone.  You are a brightspot in a somewhat dark place.  We are moving at a snails pace (if it had a broken arm LOL).  The rig is doing wonderfully but the issues have been with me.  I have great difficulty getting into the house due to the steps.  With my handicaps I knew it would be trouble but that I would be able to make it work.  So far it hasn't.  I have fallen twice (no serious injuries).  So I am going to have a handy-step installed, hopefully by the end of the week.  Until then I will just stay inside and relax.

1 hour ago, Den said:

Thanks everyone.  You are a brightspot in a somewhat dark place.  We are moving at a snails pace (if it had a broken arm LOL).  The rig is doing wonderfully but the issues have been with me.  I have great difficulty getting into the house due to the steps.  With my handicaps I knew it would be trouble but that I would be able to make it work.  So far it hasn't.  I have fallen twice (no serious injuries).  So I am going to have a handy-step installed, hopefully by the end of the week.  Until then I will just stay inside and relax.

Can you post a link to the "handy-step" you're having installed?  Will it be portable in that you can still travel? It may help others with similar issues.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Of course.  I will also post photos and a review after getting it done.  Actually I will wait until I have it installed before posting a link.  Would hate to do that and find that it is not a good product.

It is portable.  It attaches outside the coach.  It folds up for travel.

This is the water pressure regulator W/gauge I have used for several years without any problems: https://www.amazon.com/AccuMeter-Lead-Free-Pressure-Regulator-Adjustable/dp/B07TB9C36N/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=Water+Pressure+Regulator+with+Gauge&qid=1634569517&sr=8-7

It will NOT freeze when stored, or mine has not in the past 5 years; of course leaving it full of water in freezing temperatures will crack the brass casting.

Our MH has a built-in EMS and voltage protection. It has prevented a faulty voltage problem from damaging our MH many times during the past 8 years of ownership. I consider it a must-have device.

2gypsies: https://www.handi-steps.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

3 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

This is the water pressure regulator W/gauge I have used for several years without any problems: https://www.amazon.com/AccuMeter-Lead-Free-Pressure-Regulator-Adjustable/dp/B07TB9C36N/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=Water+Pressure+Regulator+with+Gauge&qid=1634569517&sr=8-7

It will NOT freeze when stored, or mine has not in the past 5 years; of course leaving it full of water in freezing temperatures will crack the brass casting.

Our MH has a built-in EMS and voltage protection. It has prevented a faulty voltage problem from damaging our MH many times during the past 8 years of ownership. I consider it a must-have device.

2gypsies: https://www.handi-steps.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1

I've replaced one of those regulators twice in the last six years. One was probably a diaphragm failure, the other the gauge failed. The company sent me a new gauge and then the regulator stopped working altogether about nine months later. The third one is still in use and working OK. It's mounted inside a heated utility bay on our fiver so we don't have to worry about freezing.

For the OP: they are SO much more than surge protectors - they are electrical management systems (EMS). One of their most important duties is to protect your motor-driven appliances (think ACs, residential refrigerators, etc.) and sensitive electronics from low-voltage situations - a common occurrence in many campgrounds. Permanently installed "hard-wired" EMSs are convenient and greatly reduce the risk of theft.

Rob

Rob

Edited by Second Chance

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

52 minutes ago, sandsys said:

We used a portable EMS system. Never had one stolen but able to move it from one rig to another

Same here. We have used a portable one since 2003 and not only has it never been stolen, I have yet to hear of anyone who has had one stolen. 

1 hour ago, Kirk W said:

Same here. We have used a portable one since 2003 and not only has it never been stolen, I have yet to hear of anyone who has had one stolen. 

We've had a couple of instances reported on one of the other forums I belong to.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

4 hours ago, hemsteadc said:

I'm not in hookup parks much, but even if I am I always run the tank and pump.  Never a worry about pressure, or hose leaks drenching the campsite and nobody seems to care.

I did have one neighbor complain about the noise of my water pump so I switched to city water in that park. But I switched back again when I left because I like to keep the water in my tank circulating.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

12 hours ago, Second Chance said:

We've had a couple of instances reported on one of the other forums I belong to.

Interesting. I just did a search and find none on any of the RV forums that I am active on. I also know a lot of people using them and none have ever had that sort of problem. I may just be lucky, but I have owned an RV almost all of the time since we bought our first one in 1972 and I can't recall ever having had anything stolen.

Yes we have used a good quality water pressure regulator since getting back into the RV life about 4-5 years ago. The plumbing systems in any of these new RVs cant take a lot of pressure, they start to leak. Leaks is another reason we opted for electric leveling instead of hydraulic, its bad enough looking after the water system.

Yes we also use a power monitor / management system. Just a surge protector is not enough IMO.  Whether external or internal doesn't matter, get one and use it. Today's RVs are being manufactured with more and more electronics that can be damaged and shortened lifespan by bad power. Not good idea to poke Murphy's Law.

Steve & Tami Cass, Fulltime Somewhere

2018 Ram 3500 DRW / 2019 Grand Design Solitude 3350RL S-Class. Texas Class A Drivers License

Again thanks for all the help.  Now a new question.

I am not sure what a power monitor / management system is.  I have also seen the term EMS which I don't know but think it might be Electronic Monitoring System.  If so, I still do not know what it is but will do some research.

Have a wonderful day/week/month.

39 minutes ago, Den said:

I am not sure what a power monitor / management system is.

Those are two very different things. Some RVs come with a power management system which will shut off some loads when power demands could exceed the amount available.

Power monitor system is usually used to apply to one of the devices that an RV can use to protect the RV from under or over voltage from the shore power cord, also loss of ground or neutral and a number of other potential problems. The EMS you see in posts usually is referring to a device sold by Progressive which does this function. Southwire company builds the Surge Guard line which does the same thing. These devices come in portable models that plug into the power pedestal and the RV plug into them, and in models that can be permanently installed inside of the RV with the power cord going into it before it goes to the 120V distribution box.