At the Menards in Grand Forks ND

lappir

kTyd2eul.jpg

Saw this interesting all wheel drive potentially full time rig in North Dakota recently. Did not see who was driving, but did an internet search and found their Blog. I'd like to know what the panel is at the rear. In another view there are insulated high pressure type hoses coming out. Haven't gotten through the blog enough to determine yet. 

enjoy, 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

10 minutes ago, lappir said:

did an internet search and found their Blog

So who are they? 

One thing that life has taught me is that unique people make my life much more interesting. I treasure my friendships with people who are unique live differently than anyone else that we know. I have come to realize that if all of us chose to live the way that they do, they wouldn't be unique any longer and most of them would change lifestyles to be different once more. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

https://yogaslackers.com/blogs/slackervan-the-purchase/

The above is what I found. I noticed "Slackers" written somewhere in the vehicle. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2007 Honda GL 1800

2 hours ago, 2gypsies said:

The panel is a solar panel.

Odd position for a solar panel. It's certainly not positioned toward the sun. There are solar panels on top above the passenger area. 

Rod

TCAzerKl.jpg

2007 Honda GL 1800

... don't know ..... I've seen panel on the sides of small motorhomes as they can easily park in the direction of the sun at sunrise and sunset for a little more boost.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Most likely the side panels are a solar hot water heater. Especially if it looks like there are water lines going into them. 

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

8 hours ago, Star Dreamer said:

Most likely the side panels are a solar hot water heater. Especially if it looks like there are water lines going into them. 

That may be it. 

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

17 hours ago, 2gypsies said:

The panel is a solar panel.

Solar water heater gets my vote. This didn't post yesterday, for some reason.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Next time I read a post about full-timing in a class B being too small I'll refer them to this thread.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

• 3 weeks later...

The vehicle in question is now illegal for road use in Maine and another state.  See below attached article. 

https://gearjunkie.com/motors/delica-vans-illegal-road-legal?utm_source=flipboard&utm_medium=flipboard_rss&utm_campaign=gearjunkie

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

• 1 month later...
On 10/1/2021 at 9:21 PM, Star Dreamer said:

There are solar panels mounted everywhere we could fit them.  The hoses you see nearby are for the 12vdc Mini Split Air Conditioner. 

SIX MERLIN SOLAR PANELS (TOTAL 1,065 WATTS)

240-watt semi-flexible panels mounted to Yakima SkyBox 21 Carbonite
240-watt semi-flexible panel mounted to Yakima SkyBox 12 Carbonite
185-watt semi-flexible panel mounted to the Yakima RocketBox Pro 12
160-watt Rigid panel bonded to aluminum honeycomb board, which slides out to cover the windshield
80-watt Rigid panel bonded to aluminum honeycomb board, mounted to the right side custom aluminum pop-out
160-watt flat-folding panel under the bed

Most info can be found here, we are continuing to add more details. https://yogaslackers.com/nomadlife/slackervan/

On 10/1/2021 at 6:29 AM, lappir said:

kTyd2eul.jpg

Saw this interesting all wheel drive potentially full time rig in North Dakota recently. Did not see who was driving, but did an internet search and found their Blog. I'd like to know what the panel is at the rear. In another view there are insulated high pressure type hoses coming out. Haven't gotten through the blog enough to determine yet. 

enjoy, 

Rod

This is our full time home :) High pressure hoses are for the 12vdc Mini Split Air Conditioner. Side Panel is great when driving east in the winter when the sun is at a lower angle.  It also can be tilted when parked.  We have a 160 watt panel that slides over the Windshield as well.  

On 10/1/2021 at 6:43 AM, Kirk W said:

So who are they? 

One thing that life has taught me is that unique people make my life much more interesting. I treasure my friendships with people who are unique live differently than anyone else that we know. I have come to realize that if all of us chose to live the way that they do, they wouldn't be unique any longer and most of them would change lifestyles to be different once more. 

Unique is in the eye of the beholder for sure.  The advice I always share is... be sure to check in with the "why' you are doing what you do and if it doesn't align with your core, then look for ways to realign your lifestyle with your goals.  I would never suggest someone live in a 1988 Ford Festiva for 12 years... but it did work for me :)

On 10/20/2021 at 3:57 AM, Jinx & Wayne said:

Did anyone consider going to their blog site and asking what it is?  I guess it is like asking for directions.

Wayne & Jinx
2017 F-350 diesel, dually
2006 Carriage Carri-Lite 36KSQ

Hey Wayne & Jinx,

this would have been a faster way to get answers :)  I randomly found this while searching for a new article about our #SlackerVan that is supposed to be published on www.GearJunkie.com soon. 

On 10/2/2021 at 8:26 AM, Darryl&Rita said:

Solar water heater gets my vote. This didn't post yesterday, for some reason.

We have a 200w immersion heater as well as a heat exchanger from engine coolant to water for heating our onboard water tank.  We also have a 600w immersion heater in our cold tank as well as 2x 160w pad heaters in our 18 gal insulated cold tank hooked to a temperature controlled PID unit, so our water stays liquid when all the water around us is solid :)  So the 80w solar panel in question does eventually heat our water.

On 10/2/2021 at 6:23 AM, Tom_M said:

I have one panel permanently mounted on my roof and the others mounted on the side that can be tilted or removed.

0cZf9kv.jpg

Exactly.  I love that you made it removable!  We have an additional 160w foldable panel under the bed, but being able to easily remove your panels would be perfect for extended stays.