snow chains

packnrat

I five decades in Maine I never heard of chains on trailers.  I've used them on a truck when logging in the winter in the woods.  Rather than give that as an answer I went looking on the internet. 

To my surprise I found that CalTrans requires chains on semi-trailers.  The only reference to RV's in the the CalTrans documents showing chain use is to Class A and C type RV's.

Nevada's chain requirements were clearer.  If there are brakes required on the trailer chains are required.

So the answer is:

Yes, chains can be used on some trailers and are required in some places. 

BUT, with an RV II would be very careful to insure that there is sufficient clearance in the wheel well and between the wheels of tandem axles of a RV trailer before using chains on the RV trailer.  Be very careful to insure that loose ends are secured.

Wayne R. Foote
194 Rainbow Dr., #9445
Livingston, TX 77399-1094
wfoote@me.com
207-944-9336

Jinx and Wayne

2006 Carriage Carri-Lite 36KSQ

I carry a pair of basic cable chains that fit my trailer. 

I have ugly V-bar chains for the tow mobile (the won ton and my dually). I want something that digs....

The use of chains on a trailer is so it will brake somewhat effectively.

I don't have thousands of chain miles on my experience card but braking downhill on poor traction you want the trailer to help and stay in the lane behind you.  Curves are usually designed kinda for downhill speeds in dry conditions, the road slopes "down" to the inside of the curve. When the road is covered with compact snow or ice or both and you are pussyfooting along at low speed wondering whyinthehell didn't I just park and wait gravity gets a hold of you and wants your vehicle to head down the mountain in the most direct line - off the road, down the inside of the curve into the other lane...

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

14 minutes ago, noteven said:

When the road is covered with compact snow or ice or both and you are pussyfooting along at low speed wondering whyinthehell didn't I just park and wait gravity gets a hold of you and wants your vehicle to head down the mountain in the most direct line - off the road, down the inside of the curve into the other lane...

I once looked over my left shoulder and saw my flatbed utility trailer trying to pass me.  It was disconcerting, to say the least.  The road was icy.

Wayne & Jinx
2017 F-350 diesel, dually

Jinx and Wayne

CalTrans Chain Control Rules: https://dot.ca.gov/travel/winter-driving-tips/chain-controls

It says that under R1 conditions (the lowest condition where chains would be required) any trailer with trailer brakes is required to have chains on at least one axle.  Since the vast majority of travel trailers have trailer brakes then I would be required to have chains on one of my axles.  I never quite got around to buying chains to fit my tires when I lived in the SoCal mountains - I’d rather wait for the roads to clear.

So in answer to the OP question - in California a travel trailer, even one as small as a 16-1/2’ one like mine, would be required to have chains on.

No idea what other states require.

Edited by fpmtngal

yes i understand state requirements. just i do not recall any talk about using them on a rv. and a thought i have not had. but then i do not do much snow camping anyhow.

but as i tell the nubees at work.

better to have them, and not need them.  then need them, and not have them.

but thats for a commercial rig.

and over all i have found snow gives good traction. and ice can kill you. as i have put on more than a couple thousand miles on snow/ice and not always using chains. ( ca, ore, was, nv, az, id, ut, new mex. only been east of these areas in better weather.

Edited by packnrat

Get some basic chains that fit your tire size from Walmart (they seem to have the least expensive Peerless ones out there), and keep them for that just in case time.  I live in the Sierra Nevadas (Tahoe, just outside of Reno) and there are chain control checkpoints on the major highways here (generally on the CA side, the NV side also requires chains often but they don't check).  Test mounting them once would also be a good exercise, just to make sure you know how to mount them.  Regardless of chain control though, chains can make an immeasurable difference; I came from the East Coast where no one ran chains (closest you would get are the folks running studded tires in the winter), and after putting chains on my FWD passenger car (with dedicated snows), its a night and day difference.  I did invest in fancy Thule (Konig) K-Summit chains, which go on and off in literally a minute each once sized so I have no excuse to not use them when the snow flies.

Edited by dartmouth01

I have a simple solution to chains on the trailer -- if the weather demands them, I DO NOT TRAVEL. 

Living 30 years in Colorado I have seen way too many trailers, commercial and otherwise, creating HUGE traffic issues by jackknifing across lanes even WITH chains. For an RVer, in my mind, it is simply not worth it.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

I agree with Chalkie. Stay put or go a different way. I do have a set singles for my Truck but never intend to be on highway with them. If I were buying for the trailer I would want links on the thread following the diameter of the tire. I have seem one set of chains that had continuous links around the tire surface kind of like this.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009NPM0A6/?tag=20aw-20

Clay

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

Staying put is a great plan, if that is an option.  That is not an option for many people.

There would be several months each year I could not leave my driveway if I had to wait out the weather.  

As for chaining up, look up the DOT rules for the state you are traveling in.  The rules are usually by weight and/or axle combination not commercial/non-commercial.  

As for chains, I have a cheap set of cables in my toy hauler.  My plan is to never use them. 

I have a set of 3-rail for my 1 ton, 4x4 dually.  They get used 1-2 times/year on average. 

I have a set of 3-rail and a set of singles for my HDT.  I have used the singles a lot in the last couple of months and the 3-rail twice. 

2014 Volvo 630. 2016 Fuzion 325T, RZR 900 Trail 
675ah AGM, MSH 3012 inverter, 960w Solar.  (2016 Chevy 3500 DRW, backup)

The Zip Grip traction devices might work in an emergency. They are one-time use for car,pickup, trailer tires only. I have no idea if states recognize them under their rules.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

i agree just stay out of bad weather. just my friend bought a new rv this year and he is using up the "free" camping included in the price of the rv. this trip is just east of placerville i believe.

and a storm is hitting us now so if he goes up this weekend he will be cold. ( i am not sure of the week he is going up).

but the next two or three weekends should be great weather. lots of snow skiers are calling in sick for the next week.

yes we live in ca. and both of us are commercial truck drivers, i have 40 years driving these rigs, my friend? not quite as much as I. i think i have a good 15-20 years on him, both age and driving time.

and i have enough seniority at this job so i have not had to drive in the snow for better than 5 years.

Edited by packnrat

5 hours ago, Chalkie said:

I have a simple solution to chains on the trailer -- if the weather demands them, I DO NOT TRAVEL. 

Living 30 years in Colorado I have seen way too many trailers, commercial and otherwise, creating HUGE traffic issues by jackknifing across lanes even WITH chains. For an RVer, in my mind, it is simply not worth it.

Yep, I'm with you, we stay home. We are stocked up for the expected Thursday through Sunday winter storm. We are going nowhere. 24" expected but as you know that can vary from three feet to nothing on the front range.

If push comes to shove and we lose power we can huddle in the Tesla in the Garage without CO danger. We have neither a Powerwall nor a generator here, but we're not worried. Grew up in CT, three years here in the Springs, and seven years in Germany.

But I'm retired now and don't have to get out in it.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

11 hours ago, Nwcid said:

Staying put is a great plan, if that is an option.  That is not an option for many people.

For 18 consecutive winters I traveled I-80 for about 500 miles across WY and NE as well as I-35 for about 250 miles and a long list of other US & state highways in those two states. Over those years my job required me to travel nearly 40k miles per year so many of those miles were over less than ideal roads and if the road was open to travel, my employer expected me to travel. Over those years I have observed the result of many an RV'er who had no option but travel and for that reason, I never towed our travel trailer in bad road conditions. If I truly was required to get somewhere, I just left the trailer behind because the risk is far lower without it. Now that we are retired we simply wait out bad road conditions. Many of those who had no choice but to travel would probably have found some other option if they had known what was about to happen to them out on the road. 

What one person considers a bad road is often different than what someone else would define it as, but if the highway department says travel not advised, I suggest that you stay put no matter how important you trip may be. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I just bought a new set of high-tech chains for my truck, but like most people, I'm never going to be in a situation where I might need chains for a trailer.

2015 Forest River Rockwood Signature Series Ultra Lite 8289WS w/ Diamond Pkg.

2014 RAM CTD 6.7 Tradesman 4WD Crew Cab Long Bed  😀

Honda eu2200i generators

Daisy May, the Golden Doodle Wonderdog

16 hours ago, RV_ said:

We are stocked up for the expected Thursday through Sunday winter storm. We are going nowhere. 24" expected but as you know that can vary from three feet to nothing on the front range.

Well the NWA and Accuweather certainly do not agree on the forecast. Just talked to the DIL and she is in the opinion of "shrug". IF you all get that much it will be the first time for that much snow in a day or two period which was in 1997 and in October. I'll be watching how it plays out. 

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

Gary, the more things change, the more they stay the same here.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire