Use HDT for as a tractor?

GlennWest

I am camped in Huntsville close to our property. It has not been touched in years. I have small, 4-7' young pines coming up. Would like to pull them up instead of cutting off. Could I use my truck for this? It has tow hooks on front. Thinking putting chains around saplings and hook to tow hooks and back up. Don't want to damage my truck but don't have a farm tractor. Thoughts.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Heck yeah, I do that stuff all the time with my F350.  Of course, it's a modified Powerstroke and you may have a Detroit or Volvo so it's anyone's guess if you can do it.  ;)

Seriously though, I think your only challenge would be getting enough traction.

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

Traction may be a problem unless they come right out. Pines do have a tap root but it shouldn't be very big. Don't have a receiver on rear but not hard to put one on.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Howdy!

I use a pully system to take pines and other small trees. One pully then connect to tractor or truck  and tree pull at a angle as to not pull the tree on to you. Works for me and my lovely wife clearing off the property. Got the pully at tractor supply.

” Happy Trails “

Chiefneon 

"Class of 2007 Fulltimer's"

Gary & karen

Smoochie & Michaela (fur babies)

2018 Chevorlet 3500 HD/LTZ 2L Custom Hauler

2014 Heartland Cyclone 4000

2016 Smart Car Prime

8 hours ago, GlennWest said:

I am camped in Huntsville close to our property. It has not been touched in years. I have small, 4-7' young pines coming up. Would like to pull them up instead of cutting off. Could I use my truck for this? It has tow hooks on front. Thinking putting chains around saplings and hook to tow hooks and back up. Don't want to damage my truck but don't have a farm tractor. Thoughts.

I have not tried trees, but I had some huge planks (4000-5000 lbs) so wrapped in chains with binders for the slack.  The rear air suspension lifted each plank With no problem.  In your case you could increase traction by this method also.

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

2 hours ago, Sculptor said:

I have not tried trees, but I had some huge planks (4000-5000 lbs) so wrapped in chains with binders for the slack.  The rear air suspension lifted each plank With no problem.  In your case you could increase traction by this method also.

Don't understand what you are stating. How does the rear air suspension lift up something.

1 minute ago, GlennWest said:

Don't understand what you are stating. How does the rear air suspension lift up something.

Drop the rear suspension, chain as tight as practical, air up. Should give close to 4" of lift each time. The extra weight will also add traction.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Why not just rent an actual tractor and do this right rather than potentially sticking or seriously damaging your truck?

Av8r3400
2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift & 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

6 minutes ago, Av8r3400 said:

Why not just rent an actual tractor and do this right rather than potentially sticking or seriously damaging your truck?

I am living on unemployment now. Have to be careful with funds.Would love to rent one of those track skids that chips up and has blade on front. Don't know proper name of them.

Edited by GlennWest

I helped pull a DP out of a bad spot a few years ago with my HDT.  Even with 2 air lockers locked and both axles engaged the tires would just spin easily.  An unloaded HDT will only provide a minimal amount of pull.  Especially offroad.  Based on that experience I doubt you will hurt the truck but it may not do the job.  Pines are usually pretty easy to get out but the soil type and moisture can make a difference.  

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

22 minutes ago, Randyretired said:

I helped pull a DP out of a bad spot a few years ago with my HDT.  Even with 2 air lockers locked and both axles engaged the tires would just spin easily.  An unloaded HDT will only provide a minimal amount of pull.  Especially offroad.  Based on that experience I doubt you will hurt the truck but it may not do the job.  Pines are usually pretty easy to get out but the soil type and moisture can make a difference.  

Well, I sorta going to snack it out. I would not want to load the clutch. 

Glenn, I would try to pull from the back if you can get hooked on. Do not attach the strap at the base of the tree but about 1/2 way up so it tips over. Also use as much strap or chain as you can. Take a short roll and let the weight of the truck pull the trees not the clutch. I pulled trees like you describe with my Dakota pick up and that was a LOT smaller than your Freight liner. I would be a tad leery about pulling them from the front in case something broke and you had flying pieces and parts of tree or chain or whatever else may be out there.

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

You may be able to pull a few trees but after awhile your field's smoother surface will turn to potholes from root removal. Will your truck with the stiffer frame be able to have traction then especially after a rain?

I would tackle killing the trees either chemically or by hand ( stripping the bark). That will leave them them easier to pull next year.

Another solution,  Sell Christmas Trees and with the money find someone with a dozer and root rake.

Clay

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C