hemsteadc

why login every day?

Forum is not letting me in darn near every day, wants me to log in.  However, if I go to My content first, then I'm recognized.  Is this another one of those "clear your cache' things?

Edited by hemsteadc

Another thought comes to mind. Do you have a program or automated browser function that is clearing cookies every day? I know I need to relog in every time I run CCleaner as all the cookies are deleted. 

14 hours ago, Chalkie said:

I know I need to relog in every time I run CCleaner as all the cookies are deleted. 

You should be able to keep the cookies you want by transferring them to the "Cookies to Keep" box.

Open CCleaner.  Click on "Options" on the left-hand side of the screen.  Click on "Cookies."  You'll see two boxes:  "Cookies on Computer" and "Cookies to Keep."  Scroll through the "Cookies on Computer" list to find the cookies you want to keep so that you don't have to log in each time.  Highlight that cookie and then use the arrows to move it to the "Cookies to Keep" box.

Go into settings and then Privacy and Security. From there go into Cookies and other site data. Look for the setting  Clear cookies and site data when you quit Chrome. Make sure that setting is turned OFF. 

4 hours ago, LindaH said:

You should be able to keep the cookies you want by transferring them to the "Cookies to Keep" box.

I know that but thanks anyhow. I just prefer to clear almost all cookies. Most of my logins are saved in Last Pass so it is easy enough to relog in.

The last time I deleted cookies I had a lot of problems.  The forum is behaving now..so I'm touching nothing but cache.

7 hours ago, hemsteadc said:

The last time I deleted cookies I had a lot of problems.  The forum is behaving now..so I'm touching nothing but cache.

Glad it is resolved.

45 minutes ago, Joe Spiker said:

My take is still that the site is screwed up.

I, along with many others have never had that problem. That really doesn't sound like a problem with the website.

Edited by Kirk W

Same thing here.  With things set to keep me signed in I was signed out twice.  Tried going back to the site approx 15 minutes later and walla, I was signed in again.

You have your opinion of things and I have mine, I still say it's the site.

Joe

I'm having to sign back in about half of the time now, never did before a couple of weeks ago.

As far as who to blame, I imagine it's an issue of Invision's software and it's compatibility with certain browsers.  Considering how many browsers are in use out there, I'm surprised any website can operate flawlessly on all browsers.

To me, it's not a big deal, I just sign back in when it requests me to.

W10 will time-out a website that requires a sign-in, for security reasons. Otherwise, your sign-in is valid to anyone who can hack your account,, which is quite easy for some.

Remaining signed in when you return to a website like the Escapees forum is a function of the cookies stored locally on your computer.  If your browser or security software is deleting cookies or not storing them when used, you will not be auto logged in the next time you go to the website.  It is done on your local machine, not at the website.

5 hours ago, Chad Heiser said:

Remaining signed in when you return to a website like the Escapees forum is a function of the cookies stored locally on your computer.  If your browser or security software is deleting cookies or not storing them when used, you will not be auto logged in the next time you go to the website.  It is done on your local machine, not at the website.

True, but if sometimes you have to sign back in and other times you don't, or if this is the only website which is behaving like that, then I doubt that cookie settings is causing it.  For example, I frequent about a dozen forums on a daily basis.  I stay signed into all of them and this forum is the only one that I ever have to manually sign back into, and that's about half of the time when I visit.

24 minutes ago, durangodon said:

I stay signed into all of them and this forum is the only one that I ever have to manually sign back into, and that's about half of the time when I visit.

And yet, most of the other users of this website do not have that experience. Do you think that this site is selecting people to give problems and you happen to be one of them?