why login every day?

44 minutes ago, Kirk W said:

And yet, most of the other users of this website do not have that experience. Do you think that this site is selecting people to give problems and you happen to be one of them?

Not at all, and there's no reason for you to be so defensive of your beloved website.  If you'll read the quote below of my first post in this thread, you'll see my explanation of why I think it is happening.  All of us use a different combination of browsers, anti-virus, ad blockers, and other software.  It's very difficult for a website to maintain compatibility with all of those programs.

For example, I use Win10, Firefox, AVG, and AD Block.  Others may use a different setup and get a different experience.  I was simply responding to Chad's suggestion that I or others may have our cookie settings configured incorrectly.

I realize you are extremely loyal to Escapee's, but try to keep an open mind in the future when you are reading others' posts so that you may actually see what they wrote and don't misinterpret their suggestion as an attack on this website.

16 hours ago, durangodon said:

As far as who to blame, I imagine it's an issue of Invision's software and it's compatibility with certain browsers.  Considering how many browsers are in use out there, I'm surprised any website can operate flawlessly on all browsers.

To me, it's not a big deal, I just sign back in when it requests me to.

1 hour ago, dixonge said:

As a former I.T. guy, I'm going to have to agree w/ Kirk. It has nothing to do with being *defensive* - he's merely pointing out that if 2-3 people have problems logging in but hundreds of others do not, then proper troubleshooting would point the finger at something besides the website itself.

Good point.  Has anyone done a poll to see how many are having the issue and how many are not?  If it is just 2 or 3, then I agree that it's something on my computer which is the culprit.  Either I'm using an app or I have a setting which is not agreeing with the site. 

My post was only addressing Chad's suggestion that maybe the cookie settings were causing it.  I'm using the same cookie settings for a dozen different forums and do not have to sign back into any of them like I do this one.  That's why I suggested an incompatibility between my computer and the site.  Also, about half the time, I don't have to sign back in.  It's inconsistent.

The defensive comment was a response to Kirk's snarky question which suggests that I'm playing some sort of victim, which I'm not. "Do you think that this site is selecting people to give problems and you happen to be one of them?"

Whether it's 2 or 3 or 300, we were having a discussion about what might be causing it.  I'm curious to know and am open to suggestions.

11 minutes ago, dixonge said:

Are any of these other sites also using the 'Invision' community software?

No, which is why I made a reference to Invision in my first post.

I never suggested that this website or Invision might be at fault, just that there is an incompatibility between it and my computer software or it's settings.

12 minutes ago, dixonge said:

I'd focus in on your individual cookie settings. Don't forget to check for any extensions that might mess with this as well.

My browser is accepting cookies.  This website has 11 cookies as we speak.  I have no cookie exceptions set up.  Are there other cookies settings I could check?  If a cookie setting is causing this, why does it only require the sign in half the time?

Could you explain what you mean by "extensions that might mess with this"?  Other than Adblock Plus, which half a billion people are using, the only other extension I've added was a VPN.  I've had the VPN on there for years and never any issues.  Do you think that updates to Firefox may have caused a problem with the VPN software?

Thanks for your response.

1 hour ago, dixonge said:

Logins are controlled by cookies. Since the forum isn't filled with threads full of people complaining about this issue, and since you are using the most popular browser on the planet, I'd focus in on your individual cookie settings. Don't forget to check for any extensions that might mess with this as well.

Cookies are a good start, and not just those associated with the forums. I use CCleaner to clean out all the bits and pieces periodically including crud in the registry. However, it might also be worth looking at another browser. He said he uses Firefox which according to ZDnet siting various sources Firefox has only 3.6% of the browser market compared to 49.3% for Chrome and 31.6% for Safari. 

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

I also use Firefox and the problem is intermittent.  Will work fine for several days, then out of the blue I need to log in.  However if I just ignore the login and visit a couple of other sites then come back to SKP it usually logs me in.  Really no set pattern and no seeming reason for it.  Hence my blaming something going on with the site.

Joe

I only maybe understand what you are talking about  but I think I may be having the issue intermittently.  Not enough to give me heartburn.  I usely access with firefox and ATT mobley to access the internet.  When I work the desk I may use a chromebook with the Mobley.

Like dixonge said I don't think Kirk was trying to be snarky but I can see how it could be seen that way as it is worded. He is such a silver tongued oldster that is rare for him (NOT) but his intent is in the right place. One day he may become as eurridite  as me if he works at  it. (NOT) 😂

On 10/24/2020 at 11:16 AM, Joe Spiker said:

I also use Firefox and the problem is intermittent.  Will work fine for several days, then out of the blue I need to log in.  However if I just ignore the login and visit a couple of other sites then come back to SKP it usually logs me in.  Really no set pattern and no seeming reason for it.  Hence my blaming something going on with the site.

Joe

X2 except I use Safari. What is frustrating is when it says I have to log in but won't let me do so. Going away then coming back usually finds me already logged in.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

• 3 weeks later...

During the day or night I use Google and/or Firefox, MS Edge, Brave and sometimes Tor with no problems on login to Escapees forum.  I also checked "remember me box" and no longer clear cookies as I then have to start all over with sign ups.  Only Firefox has not allowed login on my ATT&T  TV website but the others have allowed login.

Edited by NamMedevac 70

On 10/24/2020 at 8:58 AM, dixonge said:

Are any of these other sites also using the 'Invision' community software?

Yes, FMCA ;uses Invision too,  FMCA recently upgraded their software, again with Invision. It took almost 3 weeks to get it right.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961