Compressor for Class A tires?

Scampers

Hi all,

New to our class A motorhome.   Having attending the Escapade a few years back in Tucson and re-reading the RVers Ultimate Survival Guide tires are one of the most critical links for travel saftery.

It does seem far too many big rigs I have seen on the road are really traveling faster that tires are rated and as speeds increase above 70 MPH the load rating decreases.

Scary.

In any case I need to buy a compressor so I can keep the tires correctly topped up.

Our small 12 VDC compressor used for our 19' travel trailer will not do the job.

What do folks use as a compressor?

I am also going to install a TST temp and pressure monitoring system.

Bat Dude

Edited by Scampers
Auto correct was wrong

Most rigs . . . If it is a diesel pusher have a tap in the front where you can hook up an air hose to fill the tires.

Steve and Joy

Amateur Radio Operator WZ1T . . .  Flex 6600 M,  Flex PGXL, Flex TGXL, 

2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q . . . Lincoln MKX Toad

The Kids . . . Yogi the Yorkie  passed 10/20/2018. . . Cookie the Chihuahua passed 11/30/2017 . . . Cooper the Aussie Doodle passed 3/10/2020

Abbie  and Abel  the Doodles . . . Brother and Sister Born 02/02/2020   . . . Lucy the Yorkie . . . and Axel  . . .The Bernie Doodle

Where We Are Now

I used a Power Tank, a bottle of compressed CO2 with a special regulator.  Easily fills tires to 150 psi.  It is silent so you can check and fill tires without disturbing your neighbors.  Takes less space than an AC electric compressor.  But it is pricey.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

1 hour ago, Scampers said:

New to our class A motorhome. ...............................

In any case I need to buy a compressor so I can keep the tires correctly topped up.

It is good to hear that you found one that suits your needs. We have a long history with gas powered class A RVs, so enjoy yours and don't be intimidated by others.  😊

The best choice of air compressor depends on several things, but key in my mind is whether or not you have a generator as the ability to power it with 120V-AC at any time or location, very much improves the choices. I started out using one of the 12V inflators and later changed to a 120V powered one with an air tank because they can be used for so many other purposes. Of course, part of this issue is the weight and space that what you choose requires. If you select one with a tank it is important to verify that not only the maximum air pressure is above what your tires require, but also that the pressure that the compressor turns on is above that requirement. The first one I had turned off at 100# but my tires required 90# and the start pressure was at 85# which caused a real headache for me. I later replaced it with one that started at 120# and shut off at 140# which was much more satisfactory. 

For 12V you do not want to get one of the cheap ones as those will overheat if run long enough to fill the larger tires of a class A when they need much pressure. Also, the higher priced ones will not take as long as do the smaller, lower priced ones. I find that there are dozens of brands available on Amazon under inflaters, but I prefer a known name like the Brigs & Stratton, or something similar. Makita portable cordless model that is impressive and will provide up to 120#. Campbell Hausfeld makes a 120V version that is about the same as I used and my son now uses it, some 20 years after I purchased it. What we eventually setteled on was a 120V compressor from Campbell Hausfeld with a 3 gallon tank. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

4 minutes ago, Kirk W said:

It is good to hear that you found one that suits your needs. We have a long history with gas powered class A RVs, so enjoy yours and don't be intimidated by others.  😊

Who is intimidating him???

Steve and Joy

Amateur Radio Operator WZ1T . . .  Flex 6600 M,  Flex PGXL, Flex TGXL, 

2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q . . . Lincoln MKX Toad

The Kids . . . Yogi the Yorkie  passed 10/20/2018. . . Cookie the Chihuahua passed 11/30/2017 . . . Cooper the Aussie Doodle passed 3/10/2020

Abbie  and Abel  the Doodles . . . Brother and Sister Born 02/02/2020   . . . Lucy the Yorkie . . . and Axel  . . .The Bernie Doodle

Where We Are Now

DCC2560T160V MAX* FLEXVOLT® 2.5 GALLON CORDLESS AIR COMPRESSOR KIT

135 psi- portable. i also have a lot of dewalt battery operated tools, drills, impact drivers, sawzall, 

https://www.dewalt.com/products/storage-and-gear/air-compressors/60v-max-flexvolt-25-gallon-cordless-air-compressor-kit/dcc2560t1

Edited by palmeris
sdded link

Tnx all!

Seems no way to change my "log in" name as were initially were in a 16' Scamp fiberglass trailer.  Now have a 19' Escape fiberglass and now a new Holiday rambler Invicta (gasser).  Big wheels 235/80 R 22.5 Michelins  like diesel pusher are 110 PSI.  So all of the suggestions have been great.  Given Ford restricts out 4 down TOAD (Fore Explorer) to 65 MPH that is well within the range of the MH tires which max out at 75 MPH

The Escapees people are  simply AWESOME with the depth and breadth of knowledge.

I may go initially with a thankless model with 120 VAC then see how it goes.  Next I need to add the TST system for 6 wheels.

Cheers all,

My new Porter Cable is tank-less and 120 VAC.

New rig is off for what I hope a quick warranty repair-fix.

The microwave only runs off of shore power and not also the generator as needed.

Also the windscreen is apparently leaking at the top and we had 2+ cups of standing water on the inside in the "trough" of the windscreen.

Edited by Scampers

• 7 months later...

I actually have 2 different compressors, but generally carry a Harbor Freight 150 psi 12V compressor to top off MH tires. I've carried and used this little compressor since 2008. It gets hot during use just like the expensive Viar units. I  could not see the expense of Viar products, so bought this one.I suspect the main difference is duty cycle.

The negative is the lack of a moisture trap in the compressed air line and the screw-on air chuck is inconvenient to use with high-pressure truck tires..

I also have a FINI brand pancake type 150 psi compressor that works very well and I can use a moisture trap; but it is noisy compared to the Harbor Freight compressor.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961