47 this morning in the Twin Cities - time to leave!

ToddF

Picking up on Barb's "summer from hell"... we had a record # of 90+ degree days this summer in Minnesota. Add the humidity for a sauna like effect. But there are plenty of opportunities to get outdoors here as we have innumerable parks, lakes, rivers, and trails ...best enjoyed before 10AM or after 7 PM on these hot days.

Throw in the George Floyd situation and we experienced riots in the streets (Minneapolis had 1500 businesses with some form of damage ranging from broken windows to total destruction) and curfews including in my town of Burnsville (Dakota County) south of the Minneapolis area. Auto theft is up double digits and car jackings are happening. (We had one in my town of Burnsville from a Target parking lot).

As I travel around the country in my RV, I'll be looking for a place with better weather and a better social climate. Alabama comes to mind as my #1 choice so far. 

Leaving Thursday after a long summer of heat and humidity.

We've got an early winter storm forecast for Colorado. Predicting 12" of snow in the high country tonight & tomorrow morning. We went from highs in the 80's to highs in the 40's for the next couple days. This is about a month earlier than normal. But plenty of sunny fall days to come before leaving the mountains.

Jim

56 minutes ago, bobsallyh said:

35 this AM in Ririe, ID. strong winds yesterday afternoon starting about 4 PM. It was 80 before that and at 8 PM it was down to 37. The grass here at the park turned white for about 10 minutes.  Definitely time to peddle towards Yuma! 

Peace & quiet down here in Wellton, bobsallyh.   Finally a break in temps with tomorrow's temps to be 91/69.   Lots of planting going on.   Wish you safe travels!

2007 Dolphin

• Safe-T-Plus Steering Bar

Our Blog: Click Here

48° in upper mid Michigan , with a high of maybe 54° this afternoon . Coupled with an all day rain /drizzle , it a wonderful day to stay inside . It's been a fairly decent summer here with a few weeks topping in the 90s , but overall acceptable . 

We plan to head toward Texas about the 24/5th . 

Goes around , comes around .

Jim and Alice, hold the fort down for a couple more weeks. Just had an email from a friend in a park there in the Foothills and said the "California Smoke" moved in. We were going to go over to Twin Falls today but called the host there, and he said the county was there cleaning up limbs and stuff and that it was still blowing there. So since we didn't need to be there we moved 17 miles to Rigby and in the clear areas the wind out of the northeast told us we made the correct move. In the last 1/2 hour 10 rigs came in here, probably thought like we did. Our 50 amp cord acted like a piece of 1 1/2" piece of PVC pipe. Just threw it in the truck bed.

Edited by bobsallyh

Todd, we started our married life in Alabama and it was HOT! Could not do anything outside after 10 am and we left there in mid MAY. You probably need to look for something halfway between north and south. Although, as a kid in central Illinois we had a severe ice storm one winter but it was a rare event. We actually had all four seasons there. Camping season went from Memorial Day through Labor Day without needing winter coats. :)

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Alabama noted to have similarities to Florida...I need to remind myself that I visit these places at one of the nicest times of year (Oct-Dec). 

I grew up on the East Coast (think milder and shorter winters than MN). Am visiting the Poconos next week and that would be one place I would seriously consider for relocation. Winters in Pennsylvania were shorter and milder and I believe this is still true. 

My attachment to Minnesota has been reduced after the summer of '20. Sad but true. Lived in Minneapolis for a number of years and drove through after the protests and riots. Wells Fargo branch at Lake and Nicollet was burned out and the Post Office was burned down. The 3rd precinct police station burned down. Downtown had most of the ground level tower boarded up shortly afterwards as a defensive measure. Macys in Burnsville even boarded up their entrances at Burnsville Center.

I recommended Minnesota as a good place to move to in the past...no more. The politics and social climate here are about as bad as it gets. 

And there are homeless encampments all over Minneapolis and ST Paul now. (Hundreds of tents). 

4 hours ago, bobsallyh said:

Jim and Alice, hold the fort down for a couple more weeks. 

Got the Fort down, bobsallyh!   Fact is that we have some haze move in... maybe dust?   Smoke?   Not sure, but the temps truly have come down a little bit.   Tomorrow still to be a high of about 91 still.   I can take a lot of haze for 91 degrees. 🙂

2007 Dolphin

• Safe-T-Plus Steering Bar

Our Blog: Click Here

6 hours ago, ToddF said:

My attachment to Minnesota has been reduced after the summer of '20. Sad but true. Lived in Minneapolis for a number of years and drove through after the protests and riots. Wells Fargo branch at Lake and Nicollet was burned out and the Post Office was burned down. The 3rd precinct police station burned down. Downtown had most of the ground level tower boarded up shortly afterwards as a defensive measure. Macys in Burnsville even boarded up their entrances at Burnsville Center.

I recommended Minnesota as a good place to move to in the past...no more. The politics and social climate here are about as bad as it gets. 

And there are homeless encampments all over Minneapolis and ST Paul now. (Hundreds of tents). 

I'm not aware of any of that happening in the west suburbs of Minneapolis. (We live in Plymouth.) The increase in homeless problem is, I think, related to Covid-19. I know IOCP is welcoming donations to help those struggling in this time of uncertainty.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

29° F here in Colorado Springs and snowing on and off. Ground is too warm so far for it to stick. But has been 2 or 3 inches so far.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

6 hours ago, RV_ said:

29° F here in Colorado Springs and snowing on and off.

This morning at 6 am it is only 74° here in the Dallas area and our high is expected to be 81° just after noon. Tomorrow the cold front will be here for serious and our his isn't expected to get out of the 70's!  🤗

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Everyone pray that Ropeshaft doesn't have to see any of that white stuff before they leave for Florida on Oct 18th. 🤣

I love camping in Wisconsin!! Discovered Door County this year and look forward to many happy returns there. Thousand Trails has a good Park, Tranquil Timbers, near Sturgeon Bay that I can stay in for "free". 

NW Illinois, this morning is 49 after a high of 54 yesterday. Of over 3 inches of rain yesterday giving a 10 day total of 6+ inches.

Doesn't make for happy campers but Aug was a good month

Clay Not camping but having weekly medical visits.

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

Yes it's getting time to leave SC Nebraska. It was 39' here this morning and only getting to 46' today with off and on rain. 

Denny 

Denny & Jami SKP#90175
Most Timing with Mac our Scottie, RIP Jasper our Westie
2013 F350 SC DRW 6.2 V8 4.30 Gears
2003 HH Premier 35FKTG Home Base Nebraska

Yesterday we woke up to ash on the car.  We were just north of the high winds that caused power outages in the Seaside/Cannon Beach Oregon area.  Lots of smoke in Oregon, some on the Washington side where we are.  80s on the Oregon and Washington coast, which is unusual. The West Coast could use rain and lower temperatures to get the fires under control.  Some places, including where my wife's sister and mother live in Southern California, had air quality numbers in the 600s, which is dangerous.  

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

At my Colorado summer cabin, 8500 ft, we ended up with 12" of heavy wet snow on the ground this morning. Power out all night. Since the trees were all still fully leafed, the added weight of all the snow broke off branches & toppled whole trees all over the area. We always look forward to the color show the aspens put on each Sept. Not gonna be the same this year.  Our highs 3 days ago were 80, todays high is 40.

Edited by JRP

Jim

From Mesa, temperatures under 80°all night, first night without a/c going! Low was 69°!  First time in 110 days!    High of  89° today.   Will warm up to low 110s this week end but 110°+ appear to be gone.   But haze in the air from fires in the mountains!  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

While there's a lot of things we miss not living in Phoenix for 6 years, the freaking heat is not one of them!  32 here last night but temps rose back up to the 50s.  They are saying we will be hovering at night now in the upper 40s/lower 50s with a couple days coming we might hit 70.  Love this time of year, can work without being covered in sweat.

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

23 hours ago, ToddF said:

Everyone pray that Ropeshaft doesn't have to see any of that white stuff before they leave for Florida on Oct 18th. 🤣

I love camping in Wisconsin!! Discovered Door County this year and look forward to many happy returns there. Thousand Trails has a good Park, Tranquil Timbers, near Sturgeon Bay that I can stay in for "free". 

I appreciate your prayers Todd.  But I can handle a little bit of the white stuff if necessary.  We do fly back to Wisconsin for the holidays to see the kids and grandkids.  Glad you discovered Door County.  That's where we will be next week.  Peninsula State Park is our favorite.  Been going there since I was a little boy and while facilities have improved over the years, the uncluttered openness remains the same.  We have our favorite sites where if I tried to hit the RV in the next site with a baseball I would really have to wind up to do so.