Steer axle air suspension

DJohns

I have a 2014 Volvo 630 factory single. I can't remember the WB. The problem is the harsh ride. My light weight wife gets a pretty rough ride going over bridges etc. Has anyone ever converted the steer axle to air ride suspension? I think Hendrickson makes a bolt on kit. I would like the ride of a diesel pusher which I know is dreaming but maybe something softer than what I currently have.

Edited by DJohns

2002 Beaver Marquis Emerald   C-12 Cat 505 HP

2014 Volvo 630 D-13 I Shift SOLD

2017 New Horizons SOLD

I have a hard time believing it doesn't already have rear air ride. I'm not saying Volvo didn't build truxk with spring ride, but I've never seen a VNL with it.  Perhaps your leveling valve is not adjusted correctly. 

Does your truck have an air ride seat on the passenger side?

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio@yahoo.com

Air suspension front axle, I have and wished I didn't. It is a pain to drive. Mushy front system. If I drove it all the time likely get used to but we don't. I also wonder about the passenger seat. Oops, you stated rear suspension. It has got to have it. Never seen one without

Edited by GlennWest

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

27 minutes ago, rickeieio said:

I have a hard time believing it doesn't already have rear air ride. I'm not saying Volvo didn't build truxk with spring ride, but I've never seen a VNL with it.  Perhaps your leveling valve is not adjusted correctly. 

Does your truck have an air ride seat on the passenger side?

I did not engage brain. I meant steer axle.

2002 Beaver Marquis Emerald   C-12 Cat 505 HP

2014 Volvo 630 D-13 I Shift SOLD

2017 New Horizons SOLD

Check your passenger seat for air controls on side.  Check and make sure your rear of cab bags are inflated.  Do the same with the bags on axle suspension.  No need to check any of this until you've started the truck up and let it high idle for at least 5 minutes.  Do you see the rear of the truck raise up?  If not, you may have a non-functioning air bag switch at the dash!  It will have arrows going up and down IIRC.  Do you hear any air on the passenger seat when you push any of the switches if any?

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

Check all the air suspension components as mentioned, rear axle, cab and seats.     The first thing to change IF these all check out is shock absorbers, they make a significant difference.   

Steve

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

What tire pressure do you run for steer & drives? Do you know your unloaded and loaded axle weight?

Our 780 isn't singled. Lowering the drive pressures to 75PSI makes a pretty big difference in ride quality. I run the steers at 95 PSI, and that also makes a big difference vs. 110+.

Being singled, you won't be able to go as low, but tire pressures can make a huge difference in ride quality.

2007 Volvo 780 Volvo D12D, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Also, if the passenger seat is a decent air ride one, make sure the isolator is not locked out. It lets the seat slide front to back just a bit and keeps the backrest from slapping you on every bump.

My wife has back/hip issues, and I get a lot less complaints about the HDT than the F350.

Edited by Moresmoke

The rear suspension also has several different holes on the bottom link of the air leveling ride.

These holes change ride height.

My truck was on the very top hole, this required more air in the bags to achieve level.

I swapped to the lower hole, and less air = softer ride.

I also run my tires @95ps@95psi. all the way around.

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

This leveling valve rod determines the height of the suspension, by which hole the lower link is attached too.

Lower hole = lower ride height = less air = lower pressure = softer ride.

Go air up your bi cycle tires to 80 psi, go for a ride, then air down to 40 psi, go for a ride, see which you prefer.

Jackalopee

6 hours ago, Parrformance said:

The rear suspension also has several different holes on the bottom link of the air leveling ride.

These holes change ride height.

My truck was on the very top hole, this required more air in the bags to achieve level.

I swapped to the lower hole, and less air = softer ride.

I also run my tires @95ps@95psi. all the way around.

I have a really dumb questions does the amount of air in the tire effect your gas mileage? Like I said I know it is a dumb question I was just wondering?

Later,

Vegas Teacher

• Phil D changed the title to Steer axle air suspension
4 hours ago, HERO Maker said:

Cory, this is a warning!

How much might you suspect the two inches of change will change the drive angle? I will make adjustments with the carrier bearing bracket if necessary.

Jackalopee