changed plans

Had started working over at our property in Huntsville and suddenly it hit me like a ton of bricks. If I pass before wife she would have no one to be with unless she remarries. We have no family here. So after much discussion we decided to go back to NC to our home town area. Going to wait till elections over and leave then. be cooler and we are already registered here. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

3 hours ago, GlennWest said:

Had started working over at our property in Huntsville and suddenly it hit me like a ton of bricks. If I pass before wife she would have no one to be with unless she remarries. We have no family here. So after much discussion we decided to go back to NC to our home town area. Going to wait till elections over and leave then. be cooler and we are already registered here. 

The things we learn to consider as we age.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Good plan. After my wife passed, 4 years years later I sold everything as our plans didn't fit me any longer.

Than I upgraded my RV and traveled more.   Clay

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

Sounds like a good plan.  I wish my parents had had that realization before it was too late.  You never know when you will need support close by.  In the last 30 days, they went from living independently in their own home in FL to, at 87, my Dad needing emergency surgery from which his recovery is unlikely, and my Mom at 85 needing memory care because without my Dad around she can't live alone.  I've had to fly back and forth from TN to FL to arrange rehab facility for him, a memory care facility for Mom, getting their house listed, and untold other plans, while also working and continuing to raise my family in TN.  And the kicker is, we had everything worked out two years ago when he had a health scare and moved them up here.  But then last fall they decided it's too cold up here and moved back to FL.  Their shortsightedness has lead to them getting less quality care due to having no one there full time advocating for them, and lots of stress all around. 

Didn't mean to vent, but your situation struck a nerve with me I guess.  I hope I am making wise decisions at that time like you are. As my wife and I plan to full time in our RV when I retire, these are good lessons to keep in mind. 

Edited by DaveInTN

Posted (edited)

Since I will be in a permanent spot with my Teton believe I will remove black tank and put a residential toilet in. No more emptying black tank. Heard of people doing this and not removing tank and leaving it open. Claim the extra water used by them keep it cleaned out. I don't think I'm that brave. Since my Teton is a 2003 and in excellent shape still couldn't anything out of it in a sell so don;t see a negative in doing this. Pretty much feel same way about the truck. It paid for and I intend to use it as a personal truck. Only use it for picking something from Lowes or such.

Edited by GlennWest

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

I will remove black tank and put a residential toilet in.

That would make it like the park models. I agree with you that leaving the black tank in could introduce needless problems. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Glenn, our Alfa fiver is permanent on our RV lot in Yuma, AZ. We also have a shorter Alfa for travel. Last December I took out the RV potty in the permanent Alfa. Before putting a residential toilet in, I looked at the black tank. The way it is designed I ended up leaving it in place. The deep end of the tank is directly below the potty outlet. The tank at that location is angled from the top to the bottom at the outlet. Fortunately, the tank is above the storage bay and I could easily see the tank. The flusher of course comes in from the opposite end. I let the valve on the tank open all the time. About once a month I flush the tank and I have never gotten more than a few very small pieces. The reason I mentioned our travel fiver is because if I wanted to put a residential potty in that rig, I would definitely have to remove that black tank. It is the complete opposite of the permanent rig. The deep end is at the opposite end of the potty outlet. Have you been able to check the design of your black tank? When we were in a park we put in some residential pottys. Depending on the location, flow, etc. we sometimes left the black in and sometimes it had to come out.   

It sounds like you've had quite the realization about your situation. Going back to your hometown area seems like a solid plan, especially if it means being closer to family and support. 

Edited by Kymber

On 6/4/2024 at 9:05 PM, bobsallyh said:

Glenn, our Alfa fiver is permanent on our RV lot in Yuma, AZ. We also have a shorter Alfa for travel. Last December I took out the RV potty in the permanent Alfa. Before putting a residential toilet in, I looked at the black tank. The way it is designed I ended up leaving it in place. The deep end of the tank is directly below the potty outlet. The tank at that location is angled from the top to the bottom at the outlet. Fortunately, the tank is above the storage bay and I could easily see the tank. The flusher of course comes in from the opposite end. I let the valve on the tank open all the time. About once a month I flush the tank and I have never gotten more than a few very small pieces. The reason I mentioned our travel fiver is because if I wanted to put a residential potty in that rig, I would definitely have to remove that black tank. It is the complete opposite of the permanent rig. The deep end is at the opposite end of the potty outlet. Have you been able to check the design of your black tank? When we were in a park we put in some residential pottys. Depending on the location, flow, etc. we sometimes left the black in and sometimes it had to come out.   

that is very interesting. Residential units use right much more water also. That helps too. Will take a look at how difficult this is. It will be hard piped into drain so I can't really tell what is coming out after flushing. My plans is to remove it.

On 5/30/2024 at 11:24 AM, GlennWest said:

We have no family here. So after much discussion we decided to go back to NC to our home town area.

On 5/31/2024 at 2:17 PM, DaveInTN said:

I wish my parents had had that realization before it was too late.  You never know when you will need support close by. 

26 minutes ago, Kymber said:

Going back to your hometown area seems like a solid plan, especially if it means being closer to family and support. 

An exit plan is something that all RVers need to think about and do at least some planning for. Even if you don't go fulltime there will probably be a need for some sort of plan for our declining years. None of us can predict what others will need, and luck is needed just to accurately predict one's own late in life needs. We became fulltimers when I was only 57, thanks to an early retirement benefit. So just how long should we have reasonably planned to stay on the road? My goal was 15 years but health issues for Pam ended that lifestyle for us after only 12 years. On the other hand, I have known more than one couple who stayed on the road fulltime well into their 80's and I also knew a couple whose RV life ended due to unexpected death when both were still in their 50's! I think that we all hope to enjoy life to the max for just as long as possible and that can create problems if our plans are wrong. Moving "back home" is no magic answer either as my parents lived in the same house and 4 of their 5 kids moved at least 150 miles away and the one who didn't passed away at 40, almost 20 years before they did. No 2 of their remaining children live in the same state. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

2 minutes ago, bobsallyh said:

Glenn, instead of using the word "designed" I should have used "configuration". As far as I know residential potties use 1.25 gallons per flush. Let us know how you make out.

When we hosted a family picnic at our campsite, Dave's sister was amazed at how little water our toilet needed when flushing. Wouldn't it be nice if we could plumb those toilets into residential plumbing?

Linda

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, sandsys said:

When we hosted a family picnic at our campsite, Dave's sister was amazed at how little water our toilet needed when flushing. Wouldn't it be nice if we could plumb those toilets into residential plumbing?

Linda

They use that to flush away everything. I question if you would get a clog with an RV toilet on a standard sewer system. RV toilet costs a lot more and breaks more often

Edited by GlennWest

I suspect the best solution in today's residential world is the two-level flush toilets that use less water to flush liquids than solids.

https://www.bobvila.com/articles/best-dual-flush-toilet/

I have a two level flush toilet in our SB.  Low volume works great for #1 but sometimes has to flush twice on high volume #2.  It probably saves some water over time.  Residential plumbing sometimes has long runs that require other water such as bathing, showering, dishwashing, and clothes washing to remain efficient. 

Lost confidence in consumer reports years ago. They rated a Rally lawn tractor was one the worse and Craftsman lawn tractor as one of best. They are the same unit with different colors.

Lost confidence in consumer reports years ago. They rated a Rally lawn tractor was one the worse and Craftsman lawn tractor as one of best. They are the same unit with different colors.

Here's a 'POSITIVE' article for Consumer Reports:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/inside-consumer-reports/

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

5 hours ago, GlennWest said:

and you trust cbs. 

All I did was Google the topic which you can do, also.  You'll see many sites giving them high grades.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel