Tool Kit

gretchenhocker

Fellow RV'ers.  I would like to purchase a tool kit to have onboard my RV.  I have looked a so many and do not have the knowledge how to choose  a proper name brand set without spending a zillion dollars.  I will not become Ms. Mechanic...I just want a good quality set of everyday tools.   Thanks!

WELCOME!

Avoid the expensive tools, today you may purchase tools with a lifetime warranty from almost any store at very reasonable prices. The basics are, pliers, regular and chain-nose, a screwdriver with replaceable tips, a small adjustable wrench-it will fit both metric and SAE nuts and bolts, things like these are kept handy for those JIC moments that seem to appear almost every day.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

I don't know of any premadeup tool kit that would serve you very well. Most of them are more show that practical. I suggest that you get a quality, plastic tool box and then equip it with tools from Lowe's or similar store. Kobalt and Irwin are good quality at a reasonable price. I suggest a claw hammer, standard pliers, needlenose pliers, a 10" & a 6" adjustable wrench, a magnetic screwdriver with multiple tips, a good utility knife, a pair of 6" locking pliers, and perhaps a few others. I also suggest a small hardware kit and an assortment of nails. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

One tool I use a lot is a measuring tape to determine what will fit where before I buy things. I have a ratcheting screwdriver which comes in handy for tightening the screws in overhead vent covers. I never use nails but 3M's Command Strips are great for hanging things in an RV. I've used pliers to open bottles when my hand strength wasn't enough. And a box cutter when Amazon packages arrive. In my six years of owning motorhomes I don't think I've used any other tools from my tool kit. 

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

I would visit a Harbor Freight store with another experienced RVer along for advise.   You could probably pick up a pretty nice inexpensive tool bag and most of the hand tools you would need to start for under $50 or $60.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

When we purchased our RV we asked the service department at the RV Dealer what they suggested and the Service Mgr. gave us a list of general tools that would help us with basic maintenance.  We bought the needed tools at Lowe's and kept them in an old tackle box.  Over the last six years we have added three additional tools and it is that simple.  There was nothing unusual on the list and we have used everything we bought over the last six years.  Pliers (various),  wrench, screwdrivers, a hammer, grease and grease gun and a few replacement nuts and bolts for things that may vibrate off when traveling.  Since our first couple of trips we've learned what to check before we travel and it has helped.

Harbor Freight is a good place to pick up cheep tools that you only intend to use once. Lowe’s now sells Craftsman tools. Home Depo also has good quality tools. You don’t need much. Get a tool box to put everything in. A crescent wrench, Small hammer, Phillips head and regular screwdriver, duck tape, pliers and needle nose pliers, wire cutter, etc. also get a socket set. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

56 minutes ago, rynosback said:

This is my toolbox in my rig. 

attachment.php?attachmentid=363561&d=151

You think like me :) I've still got my air tools in the tool box in the HDT. I suppose the difference is whether you are simply fixing drawers and light sockets or working on slide mechanisms and hydraulic levelers. 

I suppose for BARE minimum you could get away with a set like this:
stanley-homeowners-tool-sets-94-248-64_1
$49 at Home Depot.com   I'd throw in a mid size crescent wrench and a good SET of screwdrivers too.

Edited by Big5er

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

46 minutes ago, Big5er said:

You think like me :) I've still got my air tools in the tool box in the HDT. I suppose the difference is whether you are simply fixing drawers and light sockets or working on slide mechanisms and hydraulic levelers. 

$49 at Home Depot.com   I'd throw in a mid size crescent wrench and a good SET of screwdrivers too.

I bought one of those kits but promptly gave it away when I realized I couldn't get the tools back into their assigned slots. If buying one of these, you might want to get a different container for the tools.

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

5 hours ago, Big5er said:

Can you ever have to many tools? I carry an air compressor for tires and a nail gun also. I left all my air tools in my Snap On box. I have bought some adapters so I can use sockets on my electric drill. If I can fix it, I will and need to have the proper tools to do the job. I had three totes full of tools. Instead of guessing what was in which box, I just bought that 41” tool chest to keep it all in one spot and much better organized. 

Basic tools are a hammer, bigger hammer screw drivers and some duct tape. 😉

Edited by rynosback

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

Don't get too many tools right off, start with the basics indicated above.  You can always add tools later, as you find you need them. 

Some of your kit might be specific to your type of RV - for instance, I have a travel trailer so I have a torque wrench to check the torque on the wheels periodically.  Also, my manufacturer uses the square head screws (there's a name for them but I don't know what it is) in a lot of places - I made sure when I bought my ratcheting screw driver that it included tips to fit them. I have manual stabilizers so I also carry a battery powered driver - a battery powered drill or driver might be nice in any RV but rarely use mine for much more than the stabilizers.  I bought channel lock pliers the first time I couldn't get a campground's sewer cap off.  I've used it for other things, it's quite handy now that I already own one.

Tools tend to be heavy, and my rig is maxed out at the moment.  So be careful with what you get and how much weight it adds - too many tools may require you to leave something at home that you'd need more.

Edited by fpmtngal

That set in the Home Depot link is a great start. Looks like it'll have what you need to take care of what you will. Have a look at your RV to see what tool(s) you would need for something that you would do. Beyond this kit, you may or may not pick up tools on an as needed basis, depending on how you'll address a project. A digital multimeter (make sure it can accurately assist with a 12V system) will come in handy as well. Auto Zone, or maybe Home Depot too, will have a flat tire repair kit that will enable you to plug a tire that has picked up a nail or similar, this could get you to a better place or even to other help to assist with changing the tire. So get a 12V air pump to go with that to get you rolling again. The Viair 12V pump has enough cord and hose to reach around the RV. https://www.amazon.com/VIAIR-45053-Automatic-Portable-Compressor/dp/B0141KJTKQ/ref=sr_1_2?crid=1PXMLMKYE9MZY&keywords=viair+air+compressor+450p-rv&qid=1564627771&s=gateway&sprefix=viair+air+compressor%2Caps%2C231&sr=8-2 (I've had it for a while, can't remember what I paid for it). I've accumulated some tools over the years that fit into a large portable toolbox that weighs about 50 pounds plus a smaller one that weighs about 20 pounds, plus the Viair, a ladder, couple of shovels (a real spade, not a folding thingy), and some roadside safety discs and reflective triangles, DOT approved. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=roadside+safety+discs&crid=20MHR7XUNRO7W&sprefix=roadside+%2Caps%2C423&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_4_9 (Another handy item is some Eterna-Bond tape)

Spot

Edited by $ Spot

The issue that I have with the kits is that they don't allow for you to add anything. The one Big5er suggests seems to be a good one except that there is no place to add something at a later time if you want it. I recommend that you get one of the smaller tool boxes like this 14" one from Amazon and the select the tools that you are likely to use, so that you can add something later if you find that you need it. 

41uOD3QLtFL._AC_US160_.jpg                               81GohxNa05L._AC_UL115_.jpg

Another item that you should have in your kit is one of the outlet testing devices shown in the second photo. It will allow you to detect if you have power at an outlet as well as detecting a bad outlet. The button on the top of it will even check a ground fault outlet for you. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

20 hours ago, Twotoes said:

Harbor Freight is a good place to pick up cheep tools that you only intend to use once. Lowe’s now sells Craftsman tools. Home Depo also has good quality tools. You don’t need much. Get a tool box to put everything in. A crescent wrench, Small hammer, Phillips head and regular screwdriver, duck tape, pliers and needle nose pliers, wire cutter, etc. also get a socket set. 

Have you ever been in a Harbor Freight?  Actually they provide many guaranteed tools.  I suspect a female beginning RVer would rather not spend $150 to $200 at Lowes purchasing the tools you suggested.  

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

1 hour ago, FL-JOE said:

Have you ever been in a Harbor Freight?  Actually they provide many guaranteed tools.  I suspect a female beginning RVer would rather not spend $150 to $200 at Lowes purchasing the tools you suggested.  

If you like cheep tools that break easy Harbor Freight is right up your alley. If you want to invest in quality tools that are long lasting and won’t need to be replaced in a couple of years then tools like Craftsman are what you should invest in. It is not just a purchase, it is an investment. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

Fulltimer

2 hours ago, Twotoes said:

If you like cheep tools that break easy Harbor Freight is right up your alley. If you want to invest in quality tools that are long lasting and won’t need to be replaced in a couple of years then tools like Craftsman are what you should invest in. It is not just a purchase, it is an investment. 

With all due respect, if you want power tools that truly last IMO there are better tools available these days than Craftsman.  I usually buy brands such as Porter Cable, Milwaukee or Dewalt.  Ir doesn't cost all that much more to step up to a true professional-quality tool.

Edited by docj

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Being in industrial equipment maintenance and now an equipment installation contractor for 30 years, I have used many brands of tools.  I have seen that Harbor Freight has stepped up their game quite a bit over the last 5 years and Craftsman has certainly gone through some turmoil.  I use many tools from HF on a daily basis, and have found their impact sockets to be the best I have used.  Their electrical tools, esp the Central line, are not worth buying.  Craftsman does not have an extensive line of what I need but that may change now that Lowes has replaced their Kobalt line with Craftsman.  I have some Craftsman hand tools that I got new over 40 years ago and I still use them.  Of course, any tool needs some maintenance.  As a welder, I dont buy any welding equipment from either brand.  I do keep some tools in my MDT from HF, as the price point is good for the purpose.

I suppose it really is a buyer choice.  Your $ so invest it the way you see fit.  I know I do.

Marcel

4 hours ago, docj said:

With all due respect, if you want power tools that truly last IMO there are better tools available these days than Craftsman.  I usually buy brands such as Porter Cable, Milwaukee or Dewalt.  Ir doesn't cost all that much more to step up to a true professional-quality tool.

docj I believe we are not talking about power tools but hand tools. As far as power tools I agree with you that brands such as those that you mentioned are of high quality. All my power tools are Milwaukee. I was only referencing hand tools. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

Fulltimer

18 hours ago, Twotoes said:

If you would bother to read her original post you would see she doesn't want to buy hand tools that will last her for the next 50 years.  Besides that, if you think Craftsman are the best out there then I have a bridge to sell you pal.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

On 7/31/2019 at 10:16 AM, gretchenhocker said:

I just want a good quality set of everyday tools. 

6 hours ago, FL-JOE said:

If you would bother to read her original post you would see she doesn't want to buy hand tools that will last her for the next 50 years.  

Ummm. Wanting good quality tools means not wanting tool that will last? 

Linda

I hate to say HF tools are good tools as some of their stuff is cheap, but a hammer is a hammer.  Most of their hand tools are actually pretty good.  I even put my Craftsman ratchets away in favor of HF ratchets and sockets.  I have a lot of their tools and most are just fine for a DIY guy like me.  HF is also starting to carry some better quality tools at a higher price.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

9 hours ago, FL-JOE said:

If you would bother to read her original post you would see she doesn't want to buy hand tools that will last her for the next 50 years.  Besides that, if you think Craftsman are the best out there then I have a bridge to sell you pal.

She said she wanted good quality tools. They would be something that doesn’t need replacement every couple of years for added expense. If you buy quality you actually save money in the long run. And sure I will buy your bridge if you will take a check. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

Fulltimer