Roadside Assistance decision time for HDT

ARGO

OK, Good Scam wants $149/yr so I  looked at Escapees program. Here's a quote

"Regarding heavy-duty trucks: If your HDT also has sleeping quarters, it will need an additional policy. Per SafeRide’s guidelines, a vehicle with sleeping quarters is considered an RV; only one RV may be covered per policy."

So what is the HDT community getting for Roadside now?  

You'd have to see the movie to understand..........

With the issues we have heard of lately on long response times, we will just use Visa and call our own service. 

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

I have Good Sam.  Used them recently to get a couple of new tires for my trailer after an incident.  They were prompt and easy to work with.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Included for very little money in my insurance policy through Progressive.  Covers all my vehicles.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

That can be true.  I asked that specifically.  As an Ohio motorhome, with Progressive through Lazy Days, I'm covered no matter what I do, with whatever trailer or none, as long I don't engage in commercial activity.  I can bob tail anywhere I please.  This is clearly stated in my policy.

That's why I chose not to go with Miller Insurance.  Even though they were supposedly quoting the same policy, they said no bob tailing.  Unacceptable to me.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

I had towing added to my insurance policy with state Farm. Otherwise, roadside repairs are covered by Me, Myself, and I. 

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

Check with US Rider.  No requirement to "have" a horse trailer (or a horse).  They will tow whatever you have - tow vehicle & trailer (whether it's a horse trailer,  a "normal" 5th wheel, or other vehicle).

US Rider is the only ERS who will tow a trailer with live animals.

Only caveat - they do *not* cover  "for profit" equestrian folks (ex:  Rodeo competitors, horse transporters).  The covered person must be present.  No problem with tandems.

When you call - you can chat by phone (and have your questions answered) by the director (which I did).  She also responded by US mail. (Hint: Be sure to do that with CN or GS !!)

Lastly - there is at least one HDT owner (in NV?) on the forums who has US Rider - with (at least) one hay-burner.

As a "backup", The AMA - American Motorcyclist Association charges $50. per year - for a tow anything policy - no M/C ownership req'd.   You must have the fee auto-deducted.  Bonus(?):  You will also receive the monthly AMA mag.  Caveat:  Only will tow 35 miles.  When I chatted with the AMA, the nice lady wasn't sure about tandems - but was happy to give me the phone number for the "parent" company to ask.  (I never followed up on that).

No matter who you choose - be "insistent" for answers to your Qs - and be sure to get it in writing (or the section of the policy which specifies same).

Edited by Pappy Yokum

I spoke with the guy I drove for, he has several trucks. He says he uses www.nttsbreakdown.com & pleased. So I'm gonna' cut out the middleman & go with this, save myself a buck fifty. Tks for all the replies!

You'd have to see the movie to understand..........

On 8/22/2022 at 5:37 AM, ARGO said:

I spoke with the guy I drove for, he has several trucks. He says he uses www.nttsbreakdown.com & pleased. So I'm gonna' cut out the middleman & go with this, save myself a buck fifty. Tks for all the replies!

I will add that to my list. Thanks.

These days you need to be prepared to self-rescue. So many people are undependable. I also know for a fact that many smaller tow companies will not answer calls from roadside assistance companies.

You have to be very careful. I have the displeasure of knowing someone who did roadside service. He was as crooked as the day is long. He and his little buddies made the people pay cash AND charge the company then brag about it to everyone.  He got what was coming to him in the end but not before he put the screws to a lot of stranded people. 

I have the Coach Net premier towable.  Called them yesterday about towing, and they agent said they'd tow either the truck, trailer, or both.  I took down her name and extension, hopefully I never run into an issue.

2001 VNL 660

2018 DRV Fullhouse JX450

2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

• 3 weeks later...

I have Good Sam Platinum. I have been with Good Sam for years and they have towed my Truck multiple times, Truck and Trailer together to a Campground then the Truck to a repair facility. I cannot remember the number of tire changes.

It night be expensive but it is worth the cost to me,

ShortyO