Leave double or single

Chuck

I have seen a number of haulers for sale that are not singled. I was under the impression that singling as well as commercial hitch removal were both deciding factors in determining that the vehicle would not be commercial and able to be registered as a motor home.

Our HDT IS still tandem and has been that way for over 10 years.  Singling is not required in most places but since each state is different your home state rules prevail.  We carry a car and some other things so we require both axles.  For a time we also occasionally used the commercial hitch, which is legal here.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

Exactly as Randy said. And for the same reasons.  I've had ours since 4/09.  Ran it tandem without a bed for about 4 years.  With a Herron Built bed ever since without a problems.  Including changing Ins. co. a couple of times.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

33 minutes ago, Chuck said:

I have seen a number of haulers for sale that are not singled. I was under the impression that singling as well as commercial hitch removal were both deciding factors in determining that the vehicle would not be commercial and able to be registered as a motor home.

You can leave your truck a twin screw or single it, you can used the 'commercial' hitch, you can even have air brakes on your trailer and still not be commercial. It is all in the intent of use..........

VisitedStatesMap.gif

Ours remained tandem. Our bed builder convinced us that it would be better in case we wanted to carry a larger vehicle on the bed in the future. I haven’t regretted it. 

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

I am just starting to get mine set up.  I have decided to stay tandem for a couple reasons.  First is just simplicity, less time and money to get going. Second, at some point in the future I am sure I will want to sell the truck.  If it is still tandem, and can be returned to hauling semi trailers, it should be fairly easy to find a new owner.  Here in ND there is a pretty good market for trucks with all the farmers.

Registering as a motorhome is state by state, and you may have certain requirements, as may whatever insurance company you find to work with.  

Shorty, I'm singled mid and carry a smart fortwo sideways also. I'm not even close to overloading my front axle. I'm confused. 

I singled mine to the mid position. Like Glenn the length is enough the way it is. In the future, if I need a longer car I will cross that bridge when I get there

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Ordered ours with a single axle but also put a 13.2 under the front end to make sure we would be OK with the smart onboard and no trailer. Also counted on a fairly good tool loadout as well and we have been golden on EVERY weigh in.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

In Colorado we can be recreational without adding the MH requirements.  As I posted we are tandem to carry a car but we have a small, 42" sleeper.  The length of the truck is less than 30'.  It would be difficult to add MH requirements in a small sleeper.  We also carry the nose of the car over the short sleeper to further reduce length.  We have substantial storage due to the longer bed.  We have 5 large toolboxes, a 100 gallon fresh water tank and a 100 gallon waste tank. We also carry 6 -5 gallon fuel cans, spare 40lb propane and a RZR under the car.

Randy

1 hour ago, Randyretired said:

In Colorado we can be recreational without adding the MH requirements.  As I posted we are tandem to carry a car but we have a small, 42" sleeper.  The length of the truck is less than 30'.  It would be difficult to add MH requirements in a small sleeper.  We also carry the nose of the car over the short sleeper to further reduce length.  We have substantial storage due to the longer bed.  We have 5 large toolboxes, a 100 gallon fresh water tank and a 100 gallon waste tank. We also carry 6 -5 gallon fuel cans, spare 40lb propane and a RZR under the car.

Do you have a picture of your setup you can share?

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

Howdy Chuck,

The Freightliner RV Hauler that I have for sale is singled mid, the Peterbilt I am now building to replace it I am going to leave tandem.  In my opinion once you single a truck you really narrow down the possible group of people who may at a later date be interested in buying the truck should you ever sell it.

The Pete is going to be setup to carry a Smart Car behind the sleeper but my total over all lenght when hitched to the 45 foot trailer I tow will only be 3 feet longer, I'll be going from 68 feet to 71, yes I know both setups are longer then 65 feet but I am not going to worry about it.

If you single the truck it would be wise to keep in mind any future plans you may have, when I bought my first truck I had NO desire to carry a Smart Car, so my first truck as is was perfect for my use.  My plans changed and so I my case it thought it better to change trucks rather then spend WAY more money on the one I have totally reworking it which would never be recovered in a sale.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

42 minutes ago, BlueLghtning said:

Do you have a picture of your setup you can share?

I just changed phones and do not have a pic.  I can try to take a pic tomorrow but the car and RZR are not loaded.  I don't know how to post pictures (tech novice) so maybe someone can help with that.

Randy

18 hours ago, Randyretired said:

I just changed phones and do not have a pic.  I can try to take a pic tomorrow but the car and RZR are not loaded.  I don't know how to post pictures (tech novice) so maybe someone can help with that.

Well if you want to, just send them to my e-mail. It's the same as my username 'at'  gmail.com. 

15 hours ago, Randyretired said:

I sent it to BlueLghting@gmail.com but it failed.  Is this the correct address?

Randy

Has an “n” after thr “t”.  BlueLghtning at g mail dot com. :D

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Suite Success got it correct although I was trying to keep my e-mail off this forum since it is open and public and the bots love to scoop up e-mails and then spam you. :D. If you don't mind changing that Carl, that would be great. :)

So it is BlueLghtning with an n after the t.. It's lightening without the first 'i" included. 

45 minutes ago, BlueLghtning said:

Suite Success got it correct although I was trying to keep my e-mail off this forum since it is open and public and the bots love to scoop up e-mails and then spam you. :D. If you don't mind changing that Carl, that would be great. :)

So it is BlueLghtning with an n after the t.. It's lightening without the first 'i" included. 

Sorry, done to your satisfaction I hope?:rolleyes:

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

As I see it, the only reason to single is to gain storage.  The cost to drop an axle is difficult to gain back in fuel/tire savings.

make a list of pros and cons, and put a value to each as it applies to you, not others.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Archived