Leave double or single

Chuck

1 hour ago, rickeieio said:

As I see it, the only reason to single is to gain storage.  The cost to drop an axle is difficult to gain back in fuel/tire savings.

make a list of pros and cons, and put a value to each as it applies to you, not others.

Local jurisdiction comes into it, here, too. We looked for singled rigs, or one suitable to be singled due to Government regs. concerning licensing and registration.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Allot of good info for you to consider.  One thing I did not see mentioned was reduced turning radius if you single short.  We did just that and reduced our turning radius by close to 30%. That may not matter to you but it helped us tremendously.  We also saved a bundle on tires and brakes this past couple years.  Easily offset singling cost.

We have chosen to tow our car/follow so the super nice smart car bed was not something we needed.

5 hours ago, Darryl&Rita said:

Local jurisdiction comes into it, here, too. We looked for singled rigs, or one suitable to be singled due to Government regs. concerning licensing and registration.

Have not heard that "government regs" require singling.  Where does that come into play? 

Jim and Kellie

2017 DRV 38RSSA Mobile Suite

2016 Western Star 5700xe

YouTube Channel

tZlofkCl.jpg   

1 hour ago, ewacowboy said:

Have not heard that "government regs" require singling.  Where does that come into play? 

Single axle, I can run on a regular pick-up/car license. Tandem requires a step up to CDL. Single axle, I can register as MoHo. Tandem, only option is "Private Truck".

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication

Please e-mail us here.

23 minutes ago, Darryl&Rita said:

Single axle, I can run on a regular pick-up/car license. Tandem requires a step up to CDL. Single axle, I can register as MoHo. Tandem, only option is "Private Truck".

Howdy Darryl&Rita,

This is where the problem comes in, EVERY STATE is different, I just a few weeks ago registered and titled my new to me tandem axle Peterbilt 379, as a "Motor Home" in the Peoples Repulik of Washington, a state darn near as communistic as California.  I drive this truck with a regular drivers license, no CDL, no special endorsements and the insurance is cheaper then it was on the Dodge one ton dually that I towed with years ago.  It all depends on what YOUR home State requires, there is no one size fits all when it comes to converting, licensing and insuring a HDT used as an RV.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

1 hour ago, mr. cob said:

Howdy Darryl&Rita,

This is where the problem comes in, EVERY STATE is different, I just a few weeks ago registered and titled my new to me tandem axle Peterbilt 379, as a "Motor Home" in the Peoples Repulik of Washington, a state darn near as communistic as California.  I drive this truck with a regular drivers license, no CDL, no special endorsements and the insurance is cheaper then it was on the Dodge one ton dually that I towed with years ago.  It all depends on what YOUR home State requires, there is no one size fits all when it comes to converting, licensing and insuring a HDT used as an RV.

Dave

That's exactly why I keep saying "Local Jurisdiction". We're registered in Alberta, but both neighbouring provinces have different rules/requirements, never mind US differences. It's all about local jurisdiction.

Please e-mail us here.

53 minutes ago, Wrknrvr said:

Tandem then single tires.

I am bad bad bad,.   Just had to say it,.  Vern

Oh yes, stir the pot.

Some claim the axle bearings aren't designed fo the odd loading, but with our reduced weights, I doubt it really matters.

Bottom line, see what your state or province, and insurance company requires.

If you remain tandem, you can get a lot more years out of the tires, since the loads are so light.  My drive tires are 12 years old, but I'm comfortable with that, since we have only about 15k lb. on the drive axles.  My brakes will last longer than my body will, and if I need to do a complete brake job, shoes, drums, and wheel kits, it's only about $500 to do it yourself.  YMMV.

Before you single, consider what the torque rating is for the remaining axle.  Most folks overlook that.

Vern, I'll buy you a beer next week.  Headed your way.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

I saw this mentioned on the FB group and I had never thought about this option. A guy was talking that with his tandem truck, he took the slider hitch button and wired it up to just dump the air in his rear axle air bags only. His other air bag switch still dumps both axles as it should. He also has the interaxle lock switch to make this work. He said he is able to do is dump the air on the rear axle only and that forces the truck to pivot on the front axle and of course the interaxle lock is supplying power to the front axle. This is only used in campgrounds or parking lots when needing to get into tighter places, but it does seem that you get the advantage of staying tandem for different reasons, but you can make your truck pivot on the front axle when needed. Seems like a good option. 

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

3 minutes ago, BlueLghtning said:

I saw this mentioned on the FB group and I had never thought about this option. A guy was talking that with his tandem truck, he took the slider hitch button and wired it up to just dump the air in his rear axle air bags only. His other air bag switch still dumps both axles as it should. He also has the interaxle lock switch to make this work. He said he is able to do is dump the air on the rear axle only and that forces the truck to pivot on the front axle and of course the interaxle lock is supplying power to the front axle. This is only used in campgrounds or parking lots when needing to get into tighter places, but it does seem that you get the advantage of staying tandem for different reasons, but you can make your truck pivot on the front axle when needed. Seems like a good option. 

Oh crap.  Another project............:lol:  I like it.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

Just now, rickeieio said:

Oh crap.  Another project............:lol:  I like it.

I know, I'm almost bummed my truck is single axle and I can't try this. I will say my 184" WB truck is so maneuverable and so easy to get my rig in tight places, but if I was to buy a tandem truck, I'd probably leave it. 

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

Something nobody's mentioned is that to properly singe a truck, you should remove the entire tandem set and replace it with a 23k axle, not for the weight, but, for the larger gear set and input bearings.  In the long term, leaving  the 19k rear axle could get costly, not to mention inconvenient if it fails.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

56 minutes ago, rickeieio said:

Something nobody's mentioned is that to properly singe a truck, you should remove the entire tandem set and replace it with a 23k axle, not for the weight, but, for the larger gear set and input bearings.  In the long term, leaving  the 19k rear axle could get costly, not to mention inconvenient if it fails.

Perhaps, IF you are near gross weight on a single 19K axle.    That would be what 10K pin on the average single axle truck with a body? 

I singled my 387 with flex air suspension, it is only rated at 17K, if I got a trailer with much more than 10K on the pin I would stay tandem.     There are pluses and minuses with either remaining tandem or single axle mods, personally I prefer single axle trucks for the maneuverability and better axle loading.      A full size car or jeep on deck changes things but,  another thing most folks here ignore is the gap between trailer and back of the cab.     My truck is not set up to haul a car or bike, I have the hitch set so there is 10" between the cab extenders and the nose of the trailer.    I have not towed the trailer yet but, I am hoping the tight gap will help with MPG?   

There is no right or wrong, good or bad, just different needs and wants.     I am waiting for somebody to get a tridem truck to haul a camper.  

Steve   

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

9 hours ago, Wrknrvr said:

Tandem then single tires.

I am bad bad bad,.   Just had to say it,.  Vern

The truck I bought was already singled. It just fell in my lap so to speak. If I had gotten a tandem I would have left it and singled the wheels out. Just remove the inside dual.

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

Archived