What type of RV do you Full time in?

What TYPE of RV do you Full Time in?  

128 members have voted

1. 1. What TYPE of RV do you Full Time in?

• Air Stream
    • Travel Trailer
    • Tiny House
    • 5th Wheel
    • Class A Diesel Pusher
    • Class A (Gas)
    • Class B
    • Class C
    • Other (please leave a comment)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/14/2018 at 07:00 AM

Before deciding, you should consider the relative crash-worthiness of a Class A versus a diesel pickup.

The latter has an engine in front to absorb impact, multiple airbags, crumple zones, and certified rollover protection.

No one likes to think about the worst case, but it should be part of the calculus.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Before deciding, you should consider the relative crash-worthiness of a Class A versus a diesel pickup.

The latter has an engine in front to absorb impact, multiple airbags, crumple zones, and certified rollover protection.

No one likes to think about the worst case, but it should be part of the calculus.

For my part, having been to hundreds of auto accidents over the years, I'd much rather be in the pickup.

4 minutes ago, NCMEDIC said:

For my part, having been to hundreds of auto accidents over the years, I'd much rather be in the pickup.

I hadn't really thought about this before but I saw a Class A absolutely destroyed after a rollover the other day along side the interstate.  It made me a little sick thinking about the folks in the back. 

2 hours ago, jpcoll01 said:

I hadn't really thought about this before but I saw a Class A absolutely destroyed after a rollover the other day along side the interstate.  It made me a little sick thinking about the folks in the back. 

And , don't forget to look at the comparative #s . How many killed/injured in a pickup and how many killed/injured in a class A . I'd rather be in a class A . I'd say the #s are my side . ;)

Goes around , comes around .

13 hours ago, Pat & Pete said:

Gee , don't have a blowout in anything . Bad . 

I agree.  A friend had a blowout in his car that caused it to start spinning across two lanes of opposing interstate traffic and somehow he did not hit another car.  We have a Sage-T-Plus http://www.safe-t-plus.com/ , in the hopes it will help us keep control in a front tire blowout.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

1 hour ago, Bill Joyce said:

I agree.  A friend had a blowout in his car that caused it to start spinning across two lanes of opposing interstate traffic and somehow he did not hit another car.  We have a Sage-T-Plus http://www.safe-t-plus.com/ , in the hopes it will help us keep control in a front tire blowout.

We also have a Safe-T-Plus installed . Along side of the safety factor , it made a huge improvement inn the overall handling of the coach . 

Other than new Toyo tires , it's the best money we've spent on the rig . 

Goes around , comes around .

• 3 weeks later...

The rule of thumb is if you move a lot get a motorhome - if you sit a lot get a 5th Wheel.

But we're sitting a lot more these days and still have our motorhome - 2007 Allegro Bus 42QRP - we bought it new, we love it and I don't have to drive around in a big pickup. We have a Jeep Grand Cherokee which we also love and a motorcycle rack on the back to haul a 2006 Harley Softail on. No storage facility, everything we own is with us and we've been doing this for 10 years now. Wife has gotten sick - so we're sitting near the Mayo Clinics these days, but we're still doing and still enjoying the life and each other. I think the big pickup vs the Jeep is a big part of not wanting to switch but as we continue to get older that may change. The one thing one can always count on is change :D

On 11/2/2017 at 5:37 PM, markandkim said:

Don't have a blowout in a class A. Bad.

But a blowout is somehow OK if you have it driving a big truck towing a fifth wheel? I don't think that you can find anything to show that the risk is any greater with a class A than for any other RV. The worst RV wreck that I have ever seen was a blown tire on the right front of a GM. Kodiak towing a very large fifth wheel on I80 in rain. 

With more than 35 years of RV travels using several different types of RV, a blown tire, especially on a steer axle is always a high-risk situation for most RV owners. Even professional drivers at times get into trouble in such situations and the majority of RVs are driven by people who have far less expertise in dealing with emergencies. 

It is a very foolish shopper who allows the personal prejudices of others to sway them away from whichever type of RV that they prefer. I could give you scare stories about what is bad about pretty much any type of RV and reasons what a different one is safer, but we can set up that argument for or against any choice. The answer isn't to avoid one type of RV but rather to learn how to safely handle any emergency for the particular type of RV that you select. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

• 3 weeks later...

As you have noticed ... there are different opinions (some strongly held) on this topic.  I personally live in a 5th wheel.  I could get all deep in the weeds about why I chose this over others but that would only add fuel.  The main reason we chose this particular 5th wheel is the floor plan.  IMO, the floor plan is the most important feature to be considered (assuming the "bones" are good).  Is there enough and properly placed seating, does it work for your lifestyle, is the TV where it is easily watched, is the shower big enough, etc.  

This is where we LIVE ... therefore travel (and ease of doing so) is a very minor part of our RV life.  We find ourselves involved in the travel part of RV living for about 4 hours of a day and live in it for 3-4 days before the next move.  So the livability of the floor plan trumps all the issues and discussions around moving.  Many people object to driving a dually truck as a daily driver, but from my perspective, I GET to drive a big truck around.  But like everyone else, it's just my opinion, so I recommend you buy what you like and what fits your needs ... there are no right or wrong rigs, just rigs that don't match the owners needs.

2017 KZ Durango Gold 381REF, 8K morRYDE IS, Disc brakes, 17.5" Hi Spec Aluminum Wheels w Goodyear G114 H rated tires

2016 F350 King Ranch DRW, 3.73, 4x4, Super Duty Crew Cab, 6.7L Powerstroke Diesel.

26,760 CGVW

We have lived long term in both a 5er and a class A.  When we were going to go full time, we evaluated the pros and cons of both snd decided the 5er had many more pros than cons/

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

• 2 weeks later...

All the advice and info is important. It is there for you to analyze and reflect on in your situation. There are good points for 5th Wheels, just as there are for Class A's. You do your homework, but in the end, it all boils down to choices. What is right for YOU. 

Rick & Mary Sorensen

Molly - Boston Terrier

2016 Ford F350 DRW 6.8 L diesel

2016 Mobile Suites 36RSSDB3

Full Timers w/ SD Residency

4 hours ago, pethier said:

Why does "Air Stream" get a category in this poll?

That has never been explained. I doubt that the numbers are all that accurate in the results either but in my observation, they probably are in the proper order base on the way that he broke out the sections. With all versions of fifth wheel trailers in one category while others are broken into two or more it makes them seem to be a much larger share of the market. I would have at least divided it to toy haulers and others, but that is only my view. Motorhomes are separated by what fuel the burn, but fivers are not separated by what tows them? 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

8 hours ago, pethier said:

I'm curious:  Why does "Air Stream" get a category in this poll?

I agree, that is curious. I wonder what the OP had in mind, since the Airstream brand includes both towable and motorized RV's, and if you go back far enough, truck campers too...

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

On 11/2/2017 at 2:44 PM, NCMEDIC said:

The pickup also has a fifth-wheel trailer crashing into it from behind...

pethier, interested in toyhaulers for 13-foot car

I answered, even though we're technically not full timers. (We call ourselves 'Permanent Part Time Full Timers':)!). We travel one smaller two month trip at the first of the year, and then a second trip of abut 5-6 months. Some do spend quite a bit of time in our travels.

We went with a DP. For many of the reasons mentioned already. And I'll add one of the other reasons was for the expansive view as we travel. 

No right or wrong on this, just choices that only individuals and couples can make based upon the parameters that are important to them. 

I also believe the choices change, as the time and lifecycle of full timing goes by.

-I personally feel that DP with toad provides the easiest and most comfortable travel in the early phases, when usually the heavy traveling of miles occur. (For sure not always this way, I know one couple in their early 80's, that still travel 20-25K each year:)!)

-I also feel that when the heavy travel phase has transitioned into say a occasional travels and possibly a Summer and Winter base type of movement. (Think Snowbirds in Florida or AZ, or TX, etc. - then moving back up to a possible ex home base area to be near family and old friends during the summer seasons.). Is another group that has choices of:

> Class A DP

> Fiver

> Park Model, heck maybe two Summer and Winter bases. With Class C or Class B as their get out and about taveler

> Some also start the transition back and pick up a condo/home/mobile home/whatever. Coupled with any of the above combo of traveling

> I also think of a person that occasionally posts here on the Escapees Forum - Kirk:)! They're in a community of travelers in a 'home base'. And they've transited out of their Class A gasser, and now are in a travel trailer to get their travel itch scratched. 

=====

Enough rambling. My intended point here is that much depends upon what a full timer believes they will be doing. Traveling heavily. Or Summer and Winter bases with occasional other shorter travels. Etc. And the one other big tip that I learned form this board, having and refining 'Exit Strategy' as part of the planning phase of purchasing for Full Time. 

Best to all,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

32 minutes ago, Smitty77_7 said:

-I also feel that when the heavy travel phase has transitioned into say a occasional travels and possibly a Summer and Winter base type of movement. (Think Snowbirds in Florida or AZ, or TX, etc. - then moving back up to a possible ex home base area to be near family and old friends during the summer seasons.). Is another group that has choices of:

> Class A DP

> Fiver

> Park Model, heck maybe two Summer and Winter bases. With Class C or Class B as their get out and about taveler

> Some also start the transition back and pick up a condo/home/mobile home/whatever. Coupled with any of the above combo of traveling

I once met a couple in Quartzsite that drove a Class A towing a Class B. They parked the A at a destination then took short trips from there in the B.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Hi Linda - Was that the two retired Air Force (Canadian Air Force?) with the Revolution Class A? If so, it always amazed me that they pulled, and stopped, their Class B:)! Recall they used to leave the Revolution behind, and use the Class B for the back roads of Mexico trips:)! (Jon & Angie???)

We were at Pacific Shores in Newport, OR for the Eclipse. And watched a gent with a Sprinter Van as his toad. (Did not get to talk with him, as they were hooking up to leave as we were heading out for a run for Clam Chowder!) The was the shorter wheel base Mercedes, had a bit bigger wheels. A fellow camper said they use the Mercedes to carry their mountain and road bikes, and kayaks. 

Amazing what people come up with for toads:)!

Best to you, and all,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

4 hours ago, Smitty77_7 said:

Hi Linda - Was that the two retired Air Force (Canadian Air Force?) with the Revolution Class A? If so, it always amazed me that they pulled, and stopped, their Class B:)! Recall they used to leave the Revolution behind, and use the Class B for the back roads of Mexico trips:)! (Jon & Angie???)

We were at Pacific Shores in Newport, OR for the Eclipse. And watched a gent with a Sprinter Van as his toad. (Did not get to talk with him, as they were hooking up to leave as we were heading out for a run for Clam Chowder!) The was the shorter wheel base Mercedes, had a bit bigger wheels. A fellow camper said they use the Mercedes to carry their mountain and road bikes, and kayaks. 

Amazing what people come up with for toads:)!

Best to you, and all,

Smitty

I never saw their class A and my memory doesn't work well enough to tell you anything else about them other than that their B was a Sprinter. Sorry.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

We have camped all of our 40+ years of marriage. Started with tents then pop-ups. We would go to RV shows just to look at every type available. In our option the floor plans and storage were always better in the 5ers. So we ended up with a Class 'A':)

The main reason for the Class'A'  was we didn't have a truck and really didn't want to buy one. It was over 8 years before we went full time in our 39' DP with 2 slides. We love the space and ease of disconnecting and going. As others have mentioned it is a preference you need to determine what is better for you all. We will be fully retired in about a year and so we are still planning on how to tow the car, KIA Soul, and MC, Harley Road Glide. We did look at getting a Transit van and put the MC in it, but to much $$$.  

event.png

On Saturday, December 23, 2017 at 7:14 AM, pethier said:

The pickup also has a fifth-wheel trailer crashing into it from behind...

In a fifth wheel, the unit is pretty secure to the truck frame and with the brakes applied will rarely break loose, however the camper interior will be rearranged in a hard crash. In a MH crash, the interior will also be rearranged and the occupants will experience it first hand with pots and pans flying around them. Any crash can be bad, but a MH has the potential to be much worse for the occupants.

Archived