Picked up my HDT and drove it 2k+ miles home

BlueLghtning

10 minutes ago, Big5er said:

Well let us know when she drives it :)

And my trip through there was several years ago. Spent a few hours in the Walmart parking lot looking for tires (Walmart tire center was closed). We back tracked to Hogansville. It wasn't the vacation we planned but we still had a nice time. That is pretty country over there. 

We'll work on that in the near future getting her behind the wheel of the truck. 

Newnan is a nice town. We are close enough to Atlanta that it's not a big deal to drive there for to get the airport or events, but far away enough that you don't get the congestion and crime that usually comes with big cities. The town of Newnan is a big enough town you have everything you need right here, but if you live away from Exit 47 (where the walmart is) and get out towards west side or south side of town, you end right on the edge of where all the farmland starts a real pretty country side. I'm right inside the city limits and just a few mins from the downtown square of Newnan, but 5 mins down the road I can be riding my motorcycle in the country. It's been a nice area to live for the past 16 years. 

Edited by BlueLghtning

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats on your new ride and thanks for the story on the trip home! Pretty cool to read these stories that bring back memories of our buying experience.

I am however bummed about loosing another hauler with an RV title out of CA though. Unless we find another way to make that happen again, we may just have to go outlaw to own an HDT.

1999 Peterbilt 385 C12 430/1650 13spd

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

2010 Hitchhiker Champagne 36 LKRSB

35 minutes ago, Big5er said:

Newnan? Heck, I blew two tires and punched a hole through the floor of my old travel trailer in Newnan. First tire had a major tread seperation and took out the second tire. Together they took out the floor, the drawer under the oven and the furnace located under the refrigerator. We hung out in Hogansville till the insurance adjuster came out a few days later. If ya see the missing cups out of my muffin pan or the lid to my crock pot along I-85 I'd be grateful if you would return them to me.  :DIMGP1701.JPG.dbf92e3fbf0b5a06f7de25444b8505b5.JPG

We have some friends who live in SoCal and a few years ago they bought a new toy hauler and brought it to Rexburg, Idaho for it's maiden voyage.

When they were heading back home, driving through construction on I-15 in the middle of Salt Lake City.  The spare tire to thier F-450 fell off from underneath the truck.  The tire went back and took out a couple crossmembers and pushed the gray and black water tanks up, halfway into the trailer.  The problem is that they had no idea when it happened.

They pulled into a truck stop south of SLC and found the wonderful surprise.

We were somewhat lucky because we had been traveling behind them, but had a tire come apart and had to deal with that, so we were not in the kill zone when it let loose.

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

1 hour ago, BlueLghtning said:

Oh yeah it definitely was. I was doing all the research on the HDT's and it took me a bit to convince my wife that this was the way to go. She understood that with the year trucks we were shopping and the size of our toy hauler, a 3500 was not going to work, but she kept pushing maybe a 4500/5500 type truck instead or even a MDT. However, when I started showing her prices of some of those trucks though and how much more truck we could get for the prices we were looking, plus the convenience of having the bed in the back, that really helped. I think now that she has ridden in it and seen it in action, she knows we made the right choice too. Plus she knows I'll be a whole lot happier towing with this setup! :)  

This is one of those "couldn't rip the grin off your faces if you used both hands" deals! 

Something that just now occurred to me...maybe you can score a Gear Master to help her get the hang of the gears when she gets her nerve up to drive...

http://www.gearmaster.com

Doug
Frequent "lurker"
Occasional poster
First step towards the RV setup complete: 1 smart car

41 minutes ago, Buscrusher said:

This is one of those "couldn't rip the grin off your faces if you used both hands" deals! 

Something that just now occurred to me...maybe you can score a Gear Master to help her get the hang of the gears when she gets her nerve up to drive...

http://www.gearmaster.com

I was just looking at one of those today and I have seen those in some past used trucks that have sold on here. Do people sell them used much or just keep them in the truck? I have some higher prority items on my list I need to get taken care of first, but one of those would definitely help her for sure. Heck, I know it would help me although I'm starting to learn some tricks like at 35mph if you add the 3 & 5 you get 8th for 8th gear. 9th at 45, 10th at 55. But that would give you a really quick visual of what gear you can go to. 

4 hours ago, BlueLghtning said:

I was just looking at one of those today and I have seen those in some past used trucks that have sold on here. Do people sell them used much or just keep them in the truck? I have some higher prority items on my list I need to get taken care of first, but one of those would definitely help her for sure. Heck, I know it would help me although I'm starting to learn some tricks like at 35mph if you add the 3 & 5 you get 8th for 8th gear. 9th at 45, 10th at 55. But that would give you a really quick visual of what gear you can go to. 

I did a Google search to see if I could come across one used, but no joy (for now). I have seen one pop up here on this board now and then, but they seem to move really fast, so if you see one, jump on it. 

I think that quick-and-dirty math solution is pretty smart, though...maybe the better and cheaper way anyhow.? One less electronic device to have to mess with...

Doug
Frequent "lurker"
Occasional poster
First step towards the RV setup complete: 1 smart car

Congrats an your new ride and glad all went well on your trip home. If you were a UPS yard dog that far back you must have shifted in a old day cab Mack I know that was fun as I am retired from UPS after 37 years and know what their trucks are like, I learned on the real old F model Macks and even really older cab over Diamond Reos. You didn't get a good chance to run up and down the gears in the yard much. Good luck on the truck and waiting to watch your progress.

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

1 hour ago, dblr said:

Congrats an your new ride and glad all went well on your trip home. If you were a UPS yard dog that far back you must have shifted in a old day cab Mack I know that was fun as I am retired from UPS after 37 years and know what their trucks are like, I learned on the real old F model Macks and even really older cab over Diamond Reos. You didn't get a good chance to run up and down the gears in the yard much. Good luck on the truck and waiting to watch your progress.

I wasn't at a big facility, so it wasn't my dedicated job. We only had 3 doors for tractor trailers so I did that on top of fueling and parking all the package car trucks and smaller trailers we had too. We did have one of the old day cab Mack's when I first started doing it with an air clutch and brake, but then I got to start using the Feeder driver's truck before he came in for his shift. I couldn't tell you what type of rig that was today though. I was only moving a couple trailers a night, but I got really good at backing them up. You are right I didn't get to go through the gears too much, but I started learning the basics and the feeder driver taught me a few things. Around peak time, they would bring in the big Ryder rental sleepers and even though they were so much larger, I would jump in those when I had the chance just to see how nice they were. 

Hi Dan,

Congratulations !!! Thank you for sharing your story and the pictures.

I hope to see you on the road some day,
Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Was telling my wife that you were flying to Ca to pick up a truck.  And here you have made the trip. As for the fun in the sleeper. I used to make that run from West to Tn Ca. Every week, and every 8 hours I was in the sleeper. Across Ar in I-40. I felt like a jumping jack. But on the bright side, never any issues of bed sores. Because you were never on one spot for longer then a minute or so.:unsure:

Back in the 80's when all the trucks I was driving. Only had air ride on the seat. That trip was fun fun fun.

As for shifting, after a few trips. You will never even have to think about what gear. It should get where its natural. I had not driven a 10 speed in 8 years or more. But jumped in one and it was just like being at home. I would rather have a 13 or 18 speed.

Pete

event.png

BL   Great pictures and loved the dtory ride back. Glad everytihg was good to go. we spent 5 years stationed at Kings Bay so we are kind of Ga people. Spent a great weekend in Albany visiting old shipmates in Oct. The truck looks great. Will you be able to get to the ECR? Yes or no be safe and keep those pictures and smiles coming.   Pat

The Old Sailor

3 hours ago, wild wolf products said:

Was telling my wife that you were flying to Ca to pick up a truck.  And here you have made the trip. As for the fun in the sleeper. I used to make that run from West to Tn Ca. Every week, and every 8 hours I was in the sleeper. Across Ar in I-40. I felt like a jumping jack. But on the bright side, never any issues of bed sores. Because you were never on one spot for longer then a minute or so.:unsure:

Back in the 80's when all the trucks I was driving. Only had air ride on the seat. That trip was fun fun fun.

As for shifting, after a few trips. You will never even have to think about what gear. It should get where its natural. I had not driven a 10 speed in 8 years or more. But jumped in one and it was just like being at home. I would rather have a 13 or 18 speed.

Pete

I bet that was a bumpy ride back then. I was really hoping for a 13sd too and with the space between 8-9-10, I could see where it could help split that a bit, but I'm just happy to have a manual. I love shifting and I'm glad I went this direction. 

45 minutes ago, JPL said:

BL   Great pictures and loved the dtory ride back. Glad everytihg was good to go. we spent 5 years stationed at Kings Bay so we are kind of Ga people. Spent a great weekend in Albany visiting old shipmates in Oct. The truck looks great. Will you be able to get to the ECR? Yes or no be safe and keep those pictures and smiles coming.   Pat

The Old Sailor

The ECR is really up on the air. I would love to make it, but getting my hitch sorted may take more time than I have and I really shouldn't rush all that. I'm going to try to get the truck sorted this week. Maybe at the very least I can just drive the truck and stay in it. I'll need to work some of those days though for my job on my computer as I can't take the whole week off and not sure how that will be in the truck. :D 

I'm sure I'll meet up with you guys sooner or later! 

3 hours ago, wild wolf products said:

If you were closer. I would offer my air ride hitch to you. And let you use it for a few months. Or until you found one, but its around 5 hours one way between us. As I'm in West Tn, 24 miles west of Pickwick Lake.

Pete

I appreciate the offer, but yeah that's quite the round trip. I'm not even sure at this point the truck will be all ready, so probably best not to rush all that. I'm definitely excited about getting it all ready. 

4 hours ago, rbertalotto said:

Great story... how is your friends health? Anything serious?

He's fine, It was just sinus congestion stuff that hit him suddenly. I saw him last night and he was still sounding a bit rough, but feeling better.