CraigsList again

Darryl&Rita

It's a 12v71, not a 92. The 12v92 has 4 individual heads, the '71 has 2, like the one shown in the photos.

12V92

967847-500x375.jpg

12V71

Item-13547_3.jpg

Av8r3400
2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift & 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

Every 12V-71 that I ever worked on had a blower on it instead of being naturally aspirated. Not positive but I'm pretty sure main reason was to scavenge the exhaust from the cylinder under pressure to insure a good air charge. I will agree that they had a unique sound to them.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

A blower is integral to a 2-stroke diesel. Without one, they can't run. They do not provide boost, only airflow. Boost is provided by turbos, if so equipped.

Av8r3400

TEq81qV.jpg

Av8r3400 is correct. All 2 cycle Detroit Diesel engines have a supercharger that is integral with the design. Later on, I would say in the mid 70's, they started turbo charging to the existing supercharger, hence the description "naturally aspirated" in the description.

The only 12v71 Detroits I have seen installed OEM were at antique truck shows. At least Kenworth and International did it for a couple of years, 1970-1971. When I started in the business in 1976 you could no longer get them in any chassis, but they were legendary on the street. Clearly the rest of the drivetrain, transmissions and rears of the era could not handle the power.

Great info on Wikepedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detroit_Diesel_Series_71

The V12 has been called the "Buzzin Dozen" due to the higher RPM needed for it to produce power and what sound it makes when the exhaust brake is on.

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

A blower is integral to a 2-stroke diesel. Without one, they can't run. They do not provide boost, only airflow. Boost is provided by turbos, if so equipped.

And with those exhaust pipes, no turbo and no Jake brake!

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

Actually the 12V71 was usually governed to only 2300 rpm. Because it's a two stroke with power every rotation, that sounds like 4600. Multiply that by 12 cylinders and two gear driven blowers and there was a lot of noisy action happening there!

Where's Dolly?? I'm sure he has stories...

Av8r3400

TEq81qV.jpg

Actually the 12V71 was usually governed to only 2300 rpm. Because it's a two stroke with power every rotation, that sounds like 4600. Multiply that by 12 cylinders and two gear driven blowers and there was a lot of noisy action happening there!

Where's Dolly?? I'm sure he has stories...

Not sure my 12 V 71 tales are all that suitable for the forum.....but history is sometimes not all that sweet.....so what the heek if this tale is a bit too dark I'll just edit it down to my closing line....

Grumps would not own a truck powered by any of the "Jimmy--Diesels" mostly because the torque fell off sharply if they were lugged much at all and out in the woods sometimes lugging was unavoidable.......he was not fond of the screaming noise as well.

Now as much as he disliked Jimmys in trucks he did like the cheap prices on surplus 12 V 71's so he had a couple on generators and one on a fire pump and two on yarders.

The generators only ran when he ran the rock crusher plant (not too often) and the fire pump only ran a few time in the fire season.

The 12 v 71's on the yarder are the ones that I grew to not like much at all. As a child slave I had to change oil and filters on these beasts and service the huge auto trannys and gear boxes and even after being shut down for a few hours they were still hot and dirty.

A Yarder is a very large multi--spool winch with way way too much big wire rope that was used to "Yard-a-turn-of--logs" often from the bottom of a steep canyon up to a "landing" often carved into the side of a mountain. High-lead is one of the names for this style of logging and it can be hideously dangerous on a good day and even much worse on some days.

One short summer in two weeks I saw 2 guys killed on the high lead and one truck driver just leaving the landing and another kid I went to school turned into a four year old for the next 55 years of his life and during EVERY one of these events that darn 12V71 was screaming in my ear.

Now of course it was not the fault of the 12 v jimmy that these guys got wacked, but as a kid I came to expect bad things to happen when the jimmys were screaming.

In a way it was likely best that I got my fill of logging early in my childhood because not many loggers "retired from old age".....

So I jumped from the fry pan into the fire and did some odd bits of flying that resulted in seeing some folks get wacked as well but for the most part the aircraft accidents seemed a less grim way to die.

Grumps often would joke......."well, ya know logging is so much fun.....I just wonder if folks have any idea just whats involved in getting them a 2 x 4 to hammer a nail into...."

Later in life I managed a small Heavy lift marine operation and several of the vessels had V 6, V 8 & V12 jimmys and they were ok for their ages but modern diesels are the name of the game.

I don't miss the screaming jimmys at all........

Drive on.........(less noise.......is better)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

• 5 months later...

That brings back nightmares. Guy we used to haul asphalt with. Had a Super liner Mack. It had the 12V92 in it. Screaming bulldog was painted on the tailgate.  He also had dual turbo's on that baby. Always marking its territory everywhere it was parked.

Man that old truck would run like crazy. That was in 1999-2000 when he was running it. The fall of 2000 that old 12V fired up backwards after a guy he had driving it choked it down in gear. Scattered the engine, that was the end of it with the Detroit. As it was pulled out that winter. And a 3406B put in its place.

Man it had that sound for sure. There was 3 more old GMC's hauling with us. They had 671's in those, along with 13 speeds. The guy that owned those three trucks. He ran one and his 2 sons in the others. Got tired of all of us running away from them. So he mounted dual Turbo's on 2 of them. They lasted 3 days before being scattered by the sons..

Pete

event.png

Archived