Hitch itch

runaway parents

Dear Runaway Parents, short of moving to a location without snow and ice, I don't know of a cure for the Hitch Itch malady. I have heard that a hot buttered rum toddy in front of a softly crackling fire can help with the symptoms but not cure the malady. Perhaps melting snow and ice is the only real cure....albeit temporary, without a change of domicile. Enjoy your hot buttered rum..... Charlie

Don't ever tell a soldier that he doesn't understand the cost of war.

Wait until you realize you also have a bad case of cabin fever crazies . The cure for crazies is to get out and do something like shovel snow and pick ice , which also could be the cure for hitch itch . ;)

You want it bad enough , you'll find a way . :D

Goes around , comes around .

Hitch up and go south. The snow is never to deep to get out if the urge is strong enough. Otherwise, stay warm and live vicariously through those of us that went south.

If it is any help it has been in the 40's for the past few days but will be back in the 70's by Friday. Down here they use snow shovels to put up their house numbers.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

I feel your pain. I'm also stuck working for another 4 months in the depths of a Wyoming winter. I am SOOOOO ready to start the adventure, hook up and get outta here.

2007 Keystone Springdale 245 FWRLL-S (modified)

2000 F-250 7.3L SRW

Cody and Kye, border collie extraordinaires

Latest departure date: 10/1/2017

Find us at www.nomadicpawprints.wordpress.com

Watch the political news. NO matter what your persuasion, in 30 minutes you will have a migraine and be in bed not caring about the Hitch itch any more! :rolleyes:

OR--- learning CAD to draw up new goodies for the HDT is good too.

No camper at present.

Way too many farm machines to maintain.

I feel your pain. I'm also stuck working for another 4 months in the depths of a Wyoming winter. I am SOOOOO ready to start the adventure, hook up and get outta here.

Dune...oh ya "work" is a four-letter-word...(let's see how many letters are in ...COLD).

In a distant times I had"work" that involved crawling into a aluminum tube in sunny warm Yuma and at too many hundred miles per hour I would land in...Moose jaw Montana in a blizzard at way-too-below-zero.. and kick some Poor shmuk out the door and then fly some Poor shmuk to FOGGY,Rainy Seattle and pick up another shmuk and flounder off to "Chilly Minot SD where COLD was invented...."

Half way through the "work-day" you call on the radio for a update on Yuma weather and you feel really dumb for spending the night in a place that is.... ONE HUNDRED DEGREES COLDER than where you ate breakfast......

Bad line of ...."W O R K"

Drive on....(C O L D ....is a four-letter-word)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Set up the heat lamp, grab the GrandKids pretend steering wheel and Log into the computer and watch a YouTube video driving a Truck.

Don't forget the Windex...to clean off the inside of the windshield after you get done with making the truck noises...

Play-Drive on.....(C 0 L D ...4- letter word)???❄☃⛷?

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Well, according the the Dr.'s advise about "take two of these and call me next week", mark it on your calendar for next year to hitch it up and go - before the snow! :huh::o:)

"Take two of these"..........

Anyone old enough to have been in the military prior to 1983, should remember "APC" tablets.

The "fix all" for just about anything & everything.

Fondly called "All Purpose Capsules" by the troops.

Why - before 1983? - (1960's for me)

The real ingredients of APC tabs, were: Aspirin, Phenacetin, Caffeine = "APC".

Phenacetin was the first NASID banned by the FDA in 1983 - could cause cancer & liver failure.

As for the snow - it's about 75 in So. CA today - prob about the same in lots of AZ, TX, etc.

Soooo....... get out the snow blower (or call the plow guy), clear a path......and get outa town ASAP.

If ya miss it, it's just a 2 hour drive from the So. CA Beaches to the local mtns - or 5 hrs to the Sierra.

B)

I'm trying really hard to be sympathetic, but nobody felt sorry for me when I was in your shoes. Just like no sympathy now, with my wife, dog, & trailer in AZ, and me working in AB

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

You need a plan of action. If you are confronted with this situation

Get%20me%20out%20of%20here_zpso5a2lf84.j

Don on a pair of Carharts, grab the necessary "implement" and start shoveling.

Everything%20is%20relative_zpsllf9wuav.j

If it's too much for you, or you get tired, save the truck for the next day.

DSC_0420_zpsep5gbryh.jpg

Hitch up both and head south.

2873239620096176628aKOAgP_fs_zpsdzsjqj1q

I want you to observe, however, the dangers of living too long in the northern snow belt. Do you see the mental conditioning of the two northerners being in the south in the middle of the winters. The minute one spotted a cloud coming over the sun, the other one grabbed a shovel.

DSC_0098_zpssshdwgfw.jpg

But with few winters without the snow (at least three), the involuntary motions stop, the symptoms abate and even memory fades as to "why does one need this".

Runaway parents, we've practiced "southern escaping" in the winter for couple of decades (before settling in the Sunshine state). But because of business commitments and the house being the "Holidays Central" for the extensive family in the north our departures were usually delayed to just over the holidays, first or second week of January. Which meant that the fifth looked like this

Get%20me%20out%20of%20here_zpso5a2lf84.j

and the truck looked like this.

Snow%20Plaistow%201_zpsn1zxgynn.jpg

One of the last winters we did the trip, there were three massive storms before the "departure" with two freezes in between and the 40 footer had literally 3 feet of snow on the roof which was frozen in and not coming off. Which had to be removed carefully (solar panes, roof windows and fans, plumbing vents, antennas, etc., etc). For thee hours, climb 15 foot ladder, shovel two feet climb down, move ladder two feet, climb 15 foot ladder...........................................................................................40 feet later, move the ladder on the other side of the fifth, climb 15 foot ladder........................................................................................................... etc. etc.

After three hour, climb down, put ladder away, go in the house to change clothes for travel. Wife noticed, sweaty clothes, haggard condition and a disposition of an angry rattlesnake. Being a nice DW, wife suggested that perhaps warm and long shower might improve the disposition for travel. The angry rattlesnake answered, NO fn... shower, get in the fn.. truck, let's start this fn..trip, I'll shower when I get to Florida!"

I spent the weekend shoveling 18 inches of snow off the fifth-wheel roof. It was cathartic. At least I now know the roof is safe from collapse and leakage until the next snow storm comes in. I also received two new freezer shelves, LED light bulbs and new storage compartment locks for Christmas gifts...and actually got pretty excited about them. That's how bad this is!

2000 F-250 7.3L SRW

I spent the weekend shoveling 18 inches of snow off the fifth-wheel roof. It was cathartic. At least I now know the roof is safe from collapse and leakage until the next snow storm comes in. I also received two new freezer shelves, LED light bulbs and new storage compartment locks for Christmas gifts...and actually got pretty excited about them. That's how bad this is!

Dune....Stand back from the medical cabinet..... keep your hands above your head.....call 911...when the first responders arrive they will remove all knives and razor blades from your snoe-cave.....

Dune you NEED a airline ticket to ...Kona ....

Drive on.....(drive WAY South...)

Dolly, you might get a belly laugh about my trying "another solution" to remove the 3 feet of snow first, before shoveling the roof.

First, let us set couple of "parameters" here for the "story".

This was going to be late departure, after 6PM and in the dark in New Hampshire. When RVing long distances we try to avoid morning rush hours and evening rush hours, usually we scheduling long breakfast or long supper during those hours.

We like pulling during evening hour and way past midnight, you can make good mileage with minimal traffic, particularly in nasty New England winter. That departure was scheduled for around 6-7PM, the truck was already hooked up to the fifth.

There is a law in New England (and probably in all snow belt states), that taking your vehicle onto the interstate with snow on the roof (to blow it off) is a big no-no and a big fine. As it can kill someone if it comes off in a big chunk onto the guy behind you. That "prohibition" hasn't stopped me before, but as Big5er says, "the law is the law".

Since it was a quiet night with no traffic in the neighborhood, I fired up the truck (it was already attached) to "take the fifth for a ride" and took a pretty aggressive turn into the first street perpendicular to mine. The theory being that the lateral force vector developed in that snow layer on the roof would cause it to slide off the roof onto the street, into the outer side of the turn.

It would represent not a very neighborly "gift" to the guy who lived on the corner, as it calculated (40 x 8 x 3) to 960 cubic feet of snow, but he would just have to ponder the mysteries of life when he discovered it in the morning.

The experiment failed as I didn't take into consideration another "parameter", that the three feet of snow and three layers of snow were thrice frozen to the roof and the layers to each other.

On the other thread in this forum we are discussing "Weight and Balance", consider that 960 cubic feet of snow, 13 feet high of the ground, going around the corner at about 20 mph (no brakes applied), what do you think the lateral vector would be ?

Well that fifth felt like it went around the corner on three outer wheels, the three inner wheels being well off the ground.

Phew! Parked the rig back in the driveway, pulled the ladder and the shovel out of the garage. For the next three hours, the language utilized (talking to myself) and the language utilized conversing with the wife, upon entering the domicile, was not worthy of a gentleman. The "departure" commenced somewhere between 9-10PM. Three days later we were in the Sunshine State for the next three months.

Oh, and the Long Johns, a customary undergarments in New England winters were replaced with skivvies in one of the Carolinas, I felt I was far enough south to perform the switch.

Good news shortest day of the year springs coming. Hang in there.

Days starting to get longer...thank God! At least it's sunny and some of the snow is melting, just in time for a Christmas snow storm. Guess where I'll be up shoveling Christmas Day and NOT enjoying a good meal!

2000 F-250 7.3L SRW

Archived