Hitch itch

runaway parents

Days starting to get longer...thank God! At least it's sunny and some of the snow is melting, just in time for a Christmas snow storm. Guess where I'll be up shoveling Christmas Day and NOT enjoying a good meal!

Maybe a snow rake would be a better choice than getting on a cold brittle slippery roof .

Goes around , comes around .

Normally I have to use a snow blower that year we had 24" on the roof. snow rake would not do the job. Figured blower was to heavy for snow load.so it had to be shoveled by hand did not have time to waste had to get it done quickly had more roofs to shovel our town had roofs collapsing all over the valley any body that could man a shovel was hired what a week.

Be careful don't go threw the roof. Did that one Christmas didn't go clear threw rafters stopped me. ended up with sheetrock on the bed and all over the bedroom .What a Christmas that was

Maybe a snow rake would be a better choice than getting on a cold brittle slippery roof .

I'm pretty light...only 110# soaking wet. I use a plastic shovel and am very careful. The roof is EPDM rubber membrane and my snow boots don't slip on it at all, even when wet. A snow rake won't work on the RV roof since it sits so high and is flat.

2007 Keystone Springdale 245 FWRLL-S (modified)

2000 F-250 7.3L SRW

Cody and Kye, border collie extraordinaires

Latest departure date: 10/1/2017

Find us at www.nomadicpawprints.wordpress.com

I'm pretty light...only 110# soaking wet. I use a plastic shovel and am very careful. The roof is EPDM rubber membrane and my snow boots don't slip on it at all, even when wet. A snow rake won't work on the RV roof since it sits so high and is flat.

Make sure you read that little decal at the top of the roof steps that says something like " 150 pounds maximum " .

How much does that snow weigh ?

And maybe you might use a ladder in addition to a snow rake or your shovel .

Goes around , comes around .

Make sure you read that little decal at the top of the roof steps that says something like " 150 pounds maximum " .

How much does that snow weigh ?

And maybe you might use a ladder in addition to a snow rake or your shovel .

That's why I'm shoveling as I go...from the steps and ahead of me and keeping my weight spread out.

2000 F-250 7.3L SRW

Knowing myself, and my habits with a snow shovel, I flat out refuse to go up there. With our insurance, collapse due to snow would be covered. Damage from a shovel, or stepping in the wrong spot, not so much. Not to mention the risk of climbing a ladder in winter clothes, off ground hidden under snow, with heavy gloves on. Now, we just haul to Az.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Shucks Dune, from your posts about being a cowgirl.....dancing around on a snow covered RV is like a stroll in the park compared to leading a +1,000 scared wittless wild Horse into a horse trailer...shucks cowgirl'$ LIVE life past the edge I know....I am the little stable boy for the Dollyomma and Dolly-the-paint-horse....

Shovel on.....(life past the....edge)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Dolly, you might get a belly laugh about my trying "another solution" to remove the 3 feet of snow first, before shoveling the roof.

First, let us set couple of "parameters" here for the "story".

This was going to be late departure, after 6PM and in the dark in New Hampshire. When RVing long distances we try to avoid morning rush hours and evening rush hours, usually we scheduling long breakfast or long supper during those hours.

We like pulling during evening hour and way past midnight, you can make good mileage with minimal traffic, particularly in nasty New England winter. That departure was scheduled for around 6-7PM, the truck was already hooked up to the fifth.

There is a law in New England (and probably in all snow belt states), that taking your vehicle onto the interstate with snow on the roof (to blow it off) is a big no-no and a big fine. As it can kill someone if it comes off in a big chunk onto the guy behind you. That "prohibition" hasn't stopped me before, but as Big5er says, "the law is the law".

Since it was a quiet night with no traffic in the neighborhood, I fired up the truck (it was already attached) to "take the fifth for a ride" and took a pretty aggressive turn into the first street perpendicular to mine. The theory being that the lateral force vector developed in that snow layer on the roof would cause it to slide off the roof onto the street, into the outer side of the turn.

It would represent not a very neighborly "gift" to the guy who lived on the corner, as it calculated (40 x 8 x 3) to 960 cubic feet of snow, but he would just have to ponder the mysteries of life when he discovered it in the morning.

The experiment failed as I didn't take into consideration another "parameter", that the three feet of snow and three layers of snow were thrice frozen to the roof and the layers to each other.

On the other thread in this forum we are discussing "Weight and Balance", consider that 960 cubic feet of snow, 13 feet high of the ground, going around the corner at about 20 mph (no brakes applied), what do you think the lateral vector would be ?

Well that fifth felt like it went around the corner on three outer wheels, the three inner wheels being well off the ground.

Phew! Parked the rig back in the driveway, pulled the ladder and the shovel out of the garage. For the next three hours, the language utilized (talking to myself) and the language utilized conversing with the wife, upon entering the domicile, was not worthy of a gentleman. The "departure" commenced somewhere between 9-10PM. Three days later we were in the Sunshine State for the next three months.

Oh, and the Long Johns, a customary undergarments in New England winters were replaced with skivvies in one of the Carolinas, I felt I was far enough south to perform the switch.

Ya knows Henry I was doing ok till I got to the part about the .....skivvies....way way over my pay-grade.... Dollymomma says I might need some shrink-time ....(ya think).... anyhow, IF I was your shrink (heaven forbid) i would like prescribe that your travels North to NOTHING past Disneyworld...

Drive on....(not too far North for Henry)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

At least he hasn't resurrected the photos of the road-side attire change, and the unceremonious dumping of the "Northern" attire.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

By chance dose any body know the answer to this question? Out here buildings have to built with a certain amount of snow load consideration here it ranges from 60lbs to 120lbs per square foot. Which I am sure it is any where there is snow load dangers in roof engineering. So here's the question. what is the snow load on a roof of an rv per sqft?

Days starting to get longer...thank God! At least it's sunny and some of the snow is melting, just in time for a Christmas snow storm. Guess where I'll be up shoveling Christmas Day and NOT enjoying a good meal!

Dune is there a reason that you can't do both?? Sounds like you are WAY to far north.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

Dune is there a reason that you can't do both?? Sounds like you are WAY to far north.

Brad

No family in the area and with a winter storm coming in on Christmas Day I don't want to drive to friends who live in town in bad weather.

2000 F-250 7.3L SRW

Archived