Finished thanks for the help Converting to air/hydraulic brakes

Heavymetal

At the present time we have a 2005 Newmar Mountain Aire with twin Dexter 10k axles, it is setup with electric/hydraulic brakes and I would like to convert them to air/hydraulic. I have tried to search the furom for answers but figure I must be asking the wrong question. I called Dexter to find the cost of converting to true air brakes and it would take new axles to accomplish this. The disc brakes on the RV are not anti-Lock at this time so while making the conversation I would like to convert to the anti-lock at the same time.

If you have made this conversation or know of a thread that covers this I would appreciate being pointed in the right direction.

2016 Western Star 5700xe (Pathfinder) DD15 555hp

w/12 speed automatic 3:05 diffs

2005 Newmar Mountain Aire 38RLPK

2 Great Danes

You will want to look at the BluDot system. Jack Mayer has this installed on his 5th wheel trailer. This converts the tractor air to hydraulic trailer brakes. Here is a link on the HDT resource guide... http://www.hhrvresource.com/node/243

Dan & Bree

2010 Freightliner Cascadia 125, DD15, 455hp, UltraShift (Yetti, For Sale)

2015 Grand Design Reflection 308BHTS Travel Trailer (For Sale)

Send me an email, I wrote couple technical of articles on the process after doing mine. Does the Newmar have disk or shoe hydraulic brakes?

I just found your article by searching Blue Dot. From what I have read so far it is the info I was looking for.

This is why I love this site there is always someone here that has been there and done it. My Newmar is sitting on tandem dually 10k Dexters with disc brakes. I looked into converting to Mor/ryde but to costly ($10,200) I did talk with Dexter and new axles with true air brakes are around $2,500 each not to bad but still pricey.

2 Great Danes

Bludot is the way to go, I have same setup on a KA. Put the air tank under the propane bottles.

NOTE- be sure to drop the trailer air when you unhook, the Dexter calipers do NOT like constant pressure. PM me for info & pics, all my air lines are hidden up to the pin box

2000 Volvo 635 A/S, N-14 Cummins
"The Phoenix"
'03 KA 38KSWB

http://s918.photobucket.com/user/sibernut/library/?sort=6&page=1
Furkids- Sibe's CH. Sedona & Tseika
dolphins.jpg

I just found your article by searching Blue Dot. From what I have read so far it is the info I was looking for.

Can you post a link to this information, please?

Av8r3400
2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift & 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

It shouldn't. For Minnesota, it is still an RV, regardless of how trailer brakes are activated, so the DL doesn't change.

Dan & Bree

2010 Freightliner Cascadia 125, DD15, 455hp, UltraShift (Yetti, For Sale)

2015 Grand Design Reflection 308BHTS Travel Trailer (For Sale)

Trailer with Blue Dot still had Hyd brakes. Just using air to control. But since it has all the components of an air brake trailer except the actual brake units would it be considered Air brakes ? Hum.

Although all of us with an HDT have or should have an Air Brake endorsement? At least in Ontario. Your location may be different??

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

Isn't the DL upgrade required by the TV?

If your DL already requires an upgrade due to driving a TV with air brakes and you have complied with that

requirement where does it say an DL upgrade is also required due to air/hyd trailer brakes?

Where are you guys getting your info to make it a DL upgrade (endorsement) to have air/hyd brakes on a "trailer"?

I am in Texas, I am going to head the the DMV later this week and ask some questions and find out just exactly what I need and don't need. Then I will add it to my binder that I started so like others on the furom I have all my ducks in a row.

I know if it quacks like a duck.

2 Great Danes

Back in March, I was quoted $512.xx, but I have hydraulic disc already. Triple 6k# Dexter axles. I'll be doing this conversion over the winter.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

HERE is a presentation on BluDot. Along with Henry's paper that should get you going. If you have questions I'll be happy to help where I can. As I'm sure Henry will be.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

With a new truck, I think you'd also want to consider this approach unless you're dead set on running air. http://www.direclink.com/direclink.html

You should consider the Direclink solution combined with ABS. But - IMO - it does not operate near as well as the BluDot. BD is truly proportional and has nothing on the truck. It works quite well. But it has downsides, like all things. I cover some of the "Cons" in my presentation. BD does have an ABS version but I'm not familiar with it.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

You should consider the Direclink solution combined with ABS. But - IMO - it does not operate near as well as the BluDot. BD is truly proportional and has nothing on the truck. It works quite well. But it has downsides, like all things. I cover some of the "Cons" in my presentation. BD does have an ABS version but I'm not familiar with it.

I went to the Direcclink web site and on the left hand side it states that it works with with electric or hydraulic drum brakes it does not mention disc. I sent them a inquiry last night about disc brakes, hope to hear back by Monday.

2 Great Danes

Talked with them today and they said it should just fine all I need is the 9 pin cable for the Freightliner which will work on the new Western Star.

Thanks for all of the input.

Heavymetal

2 Great Danes

Archived