Just for towing

Oldnavywife

We carry a Forester and a little more on our HDT and one thing that became immediately apparent is a singled HDT would be overloaded. Be sure to run the numbers before it is singled or you purchase a singled truck.

. I understand about running numbers, but what formula? Weight of deck load, pin weight, overall trailer weight, length x weight? / pi?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you are planning on a carrying a Jeep I would strongly recommend staying tandem. From back of Cab to the end of the bed you will need approx 19'. 14' for the Jeep and another 5 for the trailer. With that much bed and singling weight transfer to the front axle is going to be an issue.

AtHouse.JPG

As you can see the Jeep basically rides over the axles. If I singled I would have to single long and now most of the Jeep weight would transfer more weight to the front axle. Singling long already transfers weight to the front axle. You can not single short and still carry a vehicle the size of a Jeep. My bed extends 6 behind my axles. That is about the maximum length you can really go behind the axles otherwise you will start to have a porposing effect.

During the planning stages length was a worry and concern. 6 years later I have no regrets on the decisions I have made regarding length and vehicle choices. Parking for the most part is a non-issue. 90% of the time I have no problems getting a spot that can accommodate all 3 vehicles. Even if I have to have the truck in overflow parking it is a non-issue as once the truck/trailer are disconnected, it is rare I need the truck again until it is time to reconnect and move on down the road.

With most sites being as wide as the trailer is with the slides extended, I have the rear of the trailer as far back as I can get it. Then I park the truck in front of the trailer but off set enough that I can back the truck up under the front of the trailer but the hitch pin is alongside the truck. By parking this way the I am now a few feet shorter than my over all connected length and then there is enough room to park the Jeep next to the truck. Rear bumper of the trailer and front bumper of the truck are at the limits of the site but still in. Truck bumper may hang out by 6in or so but park management is always happy because I keep it all in the improved area of the site designed for vehicles.

As I said parking has not been a issue for me. Yes it does take some planning to make sure a big rig friendly RV park is truly big rig friendly. I also make sure when making a reservation that the park knows my total length (I rarely tell them about the HDT as the truck only confuses them). I will tell them I am 75' or 80', long truck and trailer, and if their reply makes me uneasy then I find some place else. Glenn's parking complications are complicated by the fact he has an additional vehicle that most of us do not have and he is looking for spots for very extended stays (multi-month).

For the price, the truck Jay is selling is a steal. If I was in the market for a truck to carry a Jeep I would be all over it. Yes it is a little bit longer then my truck and as a newby that would concern me but knowing what I know now ..... it is a non-issue.

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL

You still not going in a 50' site. That is my biggest issue. Doesn't take much room for the Smart. Brand new park in Baytown TX. Big rig friendly. 50' with a pad. No overload parking either. He insist he is big rig friendly though. lol.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

You still not going in a 50' site. That is my biggest issue. Doesn't take much room for the Smart. Brand new park in Baytown TX. Big rig friendly. 50' with a pad. No overload parking either. He insist he is big rig friendly though. lol.

Just because he claims to be big rig friendly doesn't make it so. Like RickW said, it takes some planning to insure that the big rig friendly place really is. Obviously the one you found is not.

I can't fit in 50 ft. I've had my truck for 6 years and never found a place that couldn't accommodate my HDT, trailer and smart in one way or another. If there is no overflow parking, I wouldn't be staying there.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

. I understand about running numbers, but what formula? Weight of deck load, pin weight, overall trailer weight, length x weight? / pi?

If weights are known I know how to do this with pencil, paper, tape measure (if doing a full scale calculation) and a calculator.

However this site requires use of spreadsheets :)

Dolleytrolly has one...

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

An HDT with a bed long enough to carry a Jeep will most likely weigh around 22'000 pounds, maybe more. A 5er will usually have 20% of the total weight on the hitch and a Jeep will weigh around 4,000 pounds. Assuming a 20,000 pound 5er that leaves a rough truck weight of a least 30,000 pounds. The front axle on many HDT's is rated for 12,000 pounds so that leaves 18,000 pounds on the rear axles if the truck is perfectly balanced. A singled HDT with the original factory axle is rated for 20,000 pounds. The bottom line is unless the weight is diplaced nearly perfect one axle or the other could be overloaded. If one wanted extras such as a bigger 5er, generator or even accessories on the Jeep it may not fit. As Jack has stated a tandem axle is usually required to carry a Jeep. To try to design a singled rig for the task is very difficult and there is little room for error or extras. There are ways to determine how weight will be displaced based on axle location and the position of the carried load but there are to many variables to provide a simple formula for any truck, Jeep and 5er combo.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

Believe Dollytrolly had a weight and balance calculator if I recall correctly. Maybe he will chime in.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

I weigh 21,000 lb with the rollback deck and s generator on the stand. With jeep loaded and trailer attached I am a total of 55,000 lb front to back. No axle overloaded.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

If Dollytrolly has some sort of spreadsheet to plug numbers into, I'd appreciate a copy. Meanwhile, maybe we'll just have scooters that we would keep in the 5th wheel toy hauler. That should keep us in the singled category, just must decide long or short.

PM sent

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Again, I'd like to thank everyone who has chimed in. Great responses. Now to talk the other half into really considering selling our little spread here in Door County and doing the full time thing. She's in for the full timing, but maybe not the hdt side of things. I've tried to explain the safety issues like braking and having enough power up hills and such. We tried keeping up with our son who has a f250 diesel and toyhauler 5th one weekend up in Michigan. My truck was just about screaming 3500 rpm on gas engine while he was just tooling along at 75 mph. It wasn't comfortable speeds for my current truck Chevy 1500. Back to the hdt, She wants a runaround vehicle. I'm just not sure I'd like a smart.

I didn't think I would like a Smart either. Decided if I was getting the Hdt this was the logical vehicle to get. More I use the more I like it. I can park anywhere. Turns shorter than I thought possinle. And no matter how hard I drive it gets 30+ mpg. It will do 45 mpg if I drive sensible.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

We bought the smart as a "camper car", but now my wife uses it every day. Of course it has it's limitations, but life is one compromise after another.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

I was SURE I would not like the smart that we bough new in 2012. For many reasons. I was wrong. I liked it a lot. So much so, that we traded it on a 2016 (leftover) Gen2 smart this summer. Now THAT is a real car. Turns better than the previous. Has "real car" features standard, like cruise control. Has better AC, Has better power. Looks better (IMO).

As long as you only need to carry two people and perhaps a dog the smart is an ideal road car to combine with a camper. Again, JMO. Every vehicle has pros and cons, but the smart sure has a lot of "pros", combined with the HDT or not.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

We love our Smart. It does very well for what it is. I use the paddle shifter when I get into hills but that is the only thing I do different from any other car I have ever owned. We have put 50,000 miles on ours.

You may also want to have your son check the speed rating on his tires if he is cruising at 75 mph. If he has a tire come apart at that speed he is not going to be having a good time. I have had 2 blow outs and they get expensive.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

Don't knock a Smart until you have spent some time in one. What little time I have spent in one has definitely made me realize that my initial thoughts on them was unfounded. Even tall guys seem to love them once they actually get to know one. The Smart and HDT work very well together. The only reason we did not go with a Smart is our passion for photography. We tend to find ourselves going places that a Smart, as well as most cars, do not have the ground clearance for.

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL

Our Smart car has surprised me as well. We have cruised on the interstate in Texas at 80mph, it has plenty of power, nice room on the inside (was really surprised the first time I sat inside it) and we can put the dogs in the back and they have room to lay down and sleep. The cattle dog is right at 50+ pounds and mine weighs about 35 pounds. What REALLY surprised me the most however was a trip to the grocery store when we forgot that we were driving the Smart. An entire cart full of groceries went into the back and had room to spare.

I will say that I prefer the 2016 cars though just from the power and the smooth shifting dual clutch transmission. The extra 4" of width is nice as well and even though there are some things I would like to see changed, the Smart is the perfect fit for a HDT in most situations for a couple.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

But it's still not capitalized. It's a trademarked proper noun, with a lower case "s".

C'mom darryl. Whether it's a Smart or a smart, it's still a lot more car than it aught to bee. :P

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

C'mom darryl. Whether it's a Smart or a smart, it's still a lot more car than it aught to bee. :P

Everybody got to have a hot button. This is the one that gets me the most, recently. I know a guy that sent his wife out in the wilds of Alaska, armed only with with what she could carry in their smart. Needles to say, she had enough supplies with her to make a rather enjoyable trip out of her "mission-of-mercy", including a spa trip. I think that's how I remember it, anyway. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Archived