Just for towing

Oldnavywife

Interested in hdt just for towing a heavy 5'r. Some ?'s that may have been answered in previous discussions though. I would want an automatic, not sure of weight of trailer as we have not retired totally and have not purchased the fifth. Currently using a t/t. When looking at trucks, should we look at mfr years before emissions or not worry? What is a reasonable mileage ( I know this a a $ thing)? We don't want to spend a fortune but still get a reliable vehicle for full timing. Would like to have a lift or ramps to place a 2 door jeep on tractor., so that may mean a "long singled unit". Not sure if possible. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. If any hdt's coming up to Door County Wisconsin, would love to see and talk more. Thanks to all for any and all assistance.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I prefer less emissions. Now the more emissions the newer truck. I have a 2006. Egr. Hate it but to not have 2002ish truck. It a compromise to me. Freightliner and Detroits are cheaper to work on. Volvos are nice trucks. They proud of parts and trucks also. I have Ultrashift. It does the job with no clutch pedal and no shifter. Only wished they engaged at lower rpms. It either engaged or not. Backing will take some getting use too.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

There is a rig in the for sale section that seems to meet the needs you discuss. Here is the link to the add. It is a singled truck with an automated manual transmission that is set up to haul a Jeep on the bed.

As far as your specific questions, first, emissions is somewhat of a personal preference. If you are stuck on a Volvo with an ishift, you are pretty much going to get some type of emissions equipment. If you are willing to look at something other than an ishift, then you can go either way. Some people have had problems with their emissions systems and others have had no issues. I think this really comes down to personal preference and what type of driveline you want.

Mileage is another personal preference thing. I have a higher mileage truck. I am currently right at about 850000 miles. I have had a few repairs to make, but nothing that has made me regret the mileage. I was able to purchase my truck for a very reasonable price, so the repairs were not crushing financially. There are some members on here who have over a million miles and are still going strong. I would prefer a higher mileage truck to have some type of service records available, but a good inspection can make up for a lack of records if they are unavailable. There is nothing that says a lower mileage truck will be less prone to repairs than a well maintained higher mileage truck. It really all comes down to how well the truck was cared for in its previous life.

The only practical way to haul a Jeep is to load it from the rear. There is no loading system for a Jeep, other than ramps, that I am aware of. A couple of people have shortened their overall length some by placing the Jeep at an angle on ramps on the bed behind the cab. Most just set the Jeep flat on the deck though. This does make for a long wheel base truck and a very long overall length when you put a large 5th wheel behind it.

You should definitely try to get to one of the rally's to look at some rigs in person if you can.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

The link Chad sent you is a great truck and outstanding buy.

Just my opinion and here is a picture of my truck with our bronco on it, and no I can't pull a 5th wheel at the same time. The only way I would tow with the jeep on a bed is if the trailer was a T/T. The truck IMO is just to long.

I'm looking at making a big change with mine at this time.

If you plan on the jeep I would lean more towards classA or a semi truck conversion. 52DE54A1-120B-4992-A45E-C7A733009396_zps

Thank you all for the input. We weren't set on hauling a jeep on the tractor, just thought that'd be a good vehicle when parked. As for mileage, we don't want to spend a lot. Should we look for lower mileage just for MTBF or is that not relevant? We have seen some trucks listed for around $20k, but are high mileage (in excess of 600000 miles). Still like the vnl630 with mid roof the best. Anytime an hdt wants to come up to Door county Wisconsin, please let us know. Still lurking in the shadows until retirement.

Oldnavywife

Why don't you plan on coming down to the National HDT Rally in October. An HDT is not required and you will get to see many different setups and configurations. We almost always have a few Jeep haulers there, all with a slightly different setups.

Please visit our Facebook page, and our website.

Hope to see you there.

Steve

Steve & Gail

2000 Volvo VNL660 Autoshift Detroit 60 12.7 "Semi Crazy"

2016 smart "Lil Crazy"

2018 Space Craft 48' TT "The Nut House"

KJ4YGY & KK4CTE

Volvo w SpaceCraft 1024.jpg

I agree with Steve. Come to a rally and spend a couple of days. As for mileage, I have a 2004 Volvo 630 with a 12 liter Volvo engine. It had 684,000 miles when I bought it in 2009 and now has 755,000 miles. There are also a few jeep haulers among us. Maybe RICKW will chime in.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

We got back from Sturgis last weekend on our first trip with the HDT and it sure is nice to have good power and brakes. The fuel mileage was only 1mpg less than my 6.0 ford that made the trip a few times.The 2 pedal auto shift works good I just wish you could skip a few gears to start out. if you are every coming through Wausau give me a shout

post-54800-0-41754000-1471574199_thumb.jpg

If we can get to the rally (Kansas right?) we'll go. Not sure about work. Like the picture of the hdt with the jeep. That's exactly what we were thinking about but we're hoping to be singled as that one is still tandem. The pic of the purple bronco(?) is nice rig as well. Looking at both of those, who does the design/ engineering? I know the weight of the trailer, what you plan on carrying on the tractor all come in to play, but as a former yacht builder I have some some good ideas go horribly wrong. SDixon747: as your tractor seems pretty long, do you have issues getting into parks? Bluenoser's if is nice. Not sure spouse will even let me look at it. If we were looking for 2004-2006 vnl630 with auto, I'm assuming all things considered it should cost about 30-45k?

The national rally is in Hutchinson, Ks which is the closest to you. There is also an eastern rally in Crossville, Tn and a western rally that is in Idaho next year. Try to make a couple of days in Hutchins. It is a very learning experience and all are welcome.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

Oldnavywife,

Bluenoser's International was built by Wayland Long (2L Custom Trucks) in Texas. Wayland is not really active here any longer and tends to cater more to the horse crowd. I know Jay (Bluenoser) stayed tandem for weight considerations. You can overload the axles if you're singled and aren't careful. I believe I am correct that becomes more important for overloading the front axle if singled long rather than mid or short because of the axle acting as a fulcrum. Not trying to sell Jay's truck but he had some issues while going to Canada one year with the trannie and spent $$ on fixing it right so now it would be unlikely to have future major issues. Your question about the 630, cost would be $20-30k unconverted but again if you are buying a truck that has not already been converted you are going to spend another $2-3k for singling, $2-25k for bed depending on customization, $2-4K on a hitch, etc so you could easily double your costs. If you have the time my best advice is to follow the ads on Escapees and seriously consider an already converted truck that fits most of your needs then slowly customize it to you as time and money allows.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

RogerV, as a Wisconsin resident, how'd you get the hdt registered and your drivers license as the wi dmv site is confusing to say the least w/r to getting info? Just got done looking at a couple of vnl730's online. WOW! I think we might change from looking at 630's to those! One out in Vegas with patriotic theme really hits me ( as I'm retired navy vet) but price tag out of my range at about 75k. Back to drivers licensing,when I was in, I had license for 5 ton and 2.5 ton, but didn't think to try and get that onto my state license when I got out 15 years ago. Not sure what Wisconsin wil require for a class 8 hdt if registered as rv hauler.

We'll definitely try for the Kansas meet although that is during bow season here in Wisconsin. Have been looking here at units for sale by members. Anyplace else to look for converted units?

Racing Junk .com usually has something available, RV Trader has a section for tow vehicles, RVT.com also has a section. Check the horse hauling areas as well.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

If you are intending to carry a fullsize vehicle then do not single....for sure you will be overloaded if you have a larger trailer with a heavy pin weight.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Tandem axle, jeep at angle and single outer wheels

It works great but some think it is bad, bad , bad.

If you do you might just be a cowboy.

Safe travels Vern

10 speed with air assist clutch copied from RandyA

Rebuilt N-14

No emissions, but just ad veggie oil for hot rodding

SDixon747: as your tractor seems pretty long, do you have issues getting into parks?

I don't believe mine is any longer than most. It has a 211" wheelbase. The box is 10' with a 20" platform on the back. Great garage for the smart, and it doubles as a "Mobile Man Cave." There are a few others that went with a box. All are much longer than mine. I have never had problems getting into a park, but we do plan ahead.

Steve

Steve & Gail

2000 Volvo VNL660 Autoshift Detroit 60 12.7 "Semi Crazy"

2016 smart "Lil Crazy"

2018 Space Craft 48' TT "The Nut House"

KJ4YGY & KK4CTE

Volvo w SpaceCraft 1024.jpg

Archived