Mobile Suites - What years for best build quality?

Chad&Jen

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is no 14 gauge wire in my Teton, all 12. There is a lot of difference in dense foam vs standard foam used in insulation. Also, I concur, Pex tubing is the standard of homes for many years. I do believe you are hung up on the units out of Eckart. They came out with those cheaply thrown together campers and put the more expensive quality built units out of production. Customers wanted cheap and wasn't willing to pay for quality and now we have just a few left that have quality unit. But to state all are the same is wrong.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

You are missing the point.

When only three and a 1/2 of the RV Manufactures you refer too build to a higher quality, the higher end builder at that, it says something about the industry as a whole. DRV: Not much of the info which much are we talking about? Pex, Poly Flow Hose, tubing is only a standard construction material in low pressure applications, hose pressure and connections have a pressure rating. If 14 gauge solid/stranded wire was a suitable wire for 20 amp service then the National Electric Code Book would recognize it as a suitable substitute for 12 gauge wire. How many RV'ers do you think have multi-plugs hooked up to their outlets? with all sorts of appliances plugged into them at the same time drawing major amps when in use, not to mention the quality of circuit breakers used in RVs and every time a circuit breaker trips it pits the internal contacts which causes eventual arcing and failure. We haven't even touched on the fact the best time to buy an RV is one that was built from February to May calendar year, that way we don't have to factor in holiday shut downs and startups, most vacations happen in the summer so each builder is spread thin, and from Thanksgiving to the Christmas/New Year break winding down production and trying to get back on line. I'll give you that though it is double pane glass not triple pane.

I will concur that the FEMA trailers were built pretty much like you stated, but they were built for 1 purpose and that was emergency housing. Not to be moved around, or lived in permanently. I am on construction sites regularly. The only cooper I see is on gas lines, and much of that is changing to flex tubing as well.

Many homes have 14 gauge wiring. Most bedrooms have 3 outlets on a 15amp breaker. Most overhead lights are on a 15amp as well. Only a custom built home will have 12ga as standard and then only if the customer asks for it.

This topic relates to another one posted today about the demise the RV quality.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

"All RVs are built basically the same, they may have different brand names but when you look behind the walls and exterior cover they all have problems.

Rather than select by brand name it would be better to research what your needs and lifestyle will be in the RV.

The Mobile Suites or any DRV product comes with a lot of eye candy and weight, don't be blinded by the eye candy and be sure you have a pull vehicle that will pull the RV. The price of the RV is not indicative of quality or workmanship. All Manufacturers have the same vendors producing most of the building materials and when it comes to RV appliances many are expected to operate on electric and propane so the vendors are pretty much the same. Even RV suspensions have only two vendors and the tires on RVs are usually made outside the U.S. You need to go with the 16" tires or bigger because you have a bigger source supply. Do your home work and attend RV Shows, use the Internet, draft a list of requirements and visit dealerships, you can't see many of the components that make an RV reliable so you can go to the vendor Internet site and look at the type of insulation, suspension, tires, hitch, and construction materials. It would not be a stretch to say that for the first year your RV may be away in the shop more than it is with you.

But if you are like the rest of us, don't have the time to do all this research and the DW likes this living room, kitchen, colors, counters, and cabinets then you purchase that one and deal with the warranties and available repair options, (this is the best answer). Don't forget that if you are going be a full timer that not all RV Dealers will work on your problems if they did not sell you the unit even if they sell your brand name.

Good luck on your adventure. "

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Having been towing and camping for 41 years, I agree with what you're saying..BUT was there any particular reason that you picked out the DRV as your example?. Lot more expensive 5er's out there that could also fall into your discussion Just curious...The wife and I are going to full time and doing quite a bit of research and reading various owners forums on many different owners sites, felt the DRV was worth looking at, as well as the Luxe we decided not to go with..You're also correct that expensive doesn't necessarily equate to better quality...but it does to some extent, especially when IS disc brakes and 17.5 Goodyear G114's are a part of the package.,when comparing apples to apples. W went with the DRV and banked final decision on research, looking at many brand name models, and reading peoples opinions on them by owners, as well as non-owners..Was curious as to why you based your post on DRV? Yes, there are better units out there, most cost more than what I paid for mine, few with features and options I got, are cheaper in price, though I didn't see but a few, but not with IS and disc brakes.

Jim

2016 DRV MS36RSSB3
2016 Ram 3500 DRW/CC/LB/4X4/Aisin/4.10 Longhorn, rear air assist suspension
B&W OEM RVK3600 Companion hitch

At the East Coast HDT Rally this year, over 20% of the trailers there were DRV's. They were by far the most predominate rig at the rally (other than a bunch of Volvo's) and a LOT of them were newer units built in the last 2 to 3 years and lived in by full timers. Have there been a few issues with them? Yes, just like any other rig out there right now. They are also a very solid unit with a good frame, suspension, tires and brakes under them and a solid 4 season camper as well. You would be hard pressed to find a new trailer with the same level of infrastructure at the same price as a DRV. You could spend a lot more and get a better unit or you could spend a lot less and get a unit not as well suited for the road.

They are what I call a semi-custom rig where you can make changes to the floor plan but not to the extent of a custom rig. For the money, they are a very good choice and should give you years of good service.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

Newmar built 5th wheels - not sure if they do anymore. We had excellent results with our Newmar motorhome for 8 years of full-timing. The fit and workmanship was perfect.

We love our Newmar, but first you should decide whether you want sticks & screws or aluminum framing. There's the big difference. There are cults for either one, but IMHO you don't see many wood airplanes anymore..............................

Newmar stopped building fivers I think 05 or 06. I could see a big difference between our 03 and an 04 next to it. If I were to buy now, I'd look at Forks or build my own.

2000 Volvo 635 A/S, N-14 Cummins
"The Phoenix"
'03 KA 38KSWB

http://s918.photobucket.com/user/sibernut/library/?sort=6&page=1
Furkids- Sibe's CH. Sedona & Tseika
dolphins.jpg

Our DRV is 2005 and we have not had any major issues with it. As GeorgiaHybrid said, I was more concerned about suspension, frame Etc. We are part timers but have been comfortable in below freezing weather. What years? I might be skeptical of 2017 DRV since Thor took over but that is conjecture only, have no factual data that says bean counters have impacted build quality. DRV 2005 - 2007 could be bought for low to mid 30's and painted, interior upgrades, and appliances done for reasonable price and you would have a solid, reliable trailer for well under $100k. When and if we buy another, I will buy used.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

I have a Mobile Suites build in the fall of 2015. Primarily I chose DRV as they start with frame and suspension system to get you down the rough roads of today. My previous RV was a 2010 Montana that rough roads and tires did not agree. But I will say the 2010 appliances and fixtures were superior or maybe it was the brand. The Dometic Microwave and Stove/oven was miles ahead of present Whirlpool MW and the Suburban Stove (which presently is in repair shop because of re-occurring gas leak)s. The MS Kitchen Faucet has to tied closed and prevent swing to keep the water damage down.

As I read & talk, some basic construction defects keeps re-occurring over the years and on all MFG's, it seems the quality defects never gets back to the worker or Floor production Engineer for correction.

Clay

2016 MS 38PS3 modified

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

My 06 had a lot of issues it should not have. That large gap under kitchen slide was one.

Glen,

I understand that not all products are problem free. If I could justify $100-300k for part timing I would probably go with a Forks or Space Craft, maybe a New Horizons although I know some folks have had problems with their units. In fairness to NH they apparently are good about correcting the problems and like the other high ends have rugged frame. Since the OP was about DRV, my opinion is the mid 2000's units have better quality and can be bought relatively cheaply, upgraded and problems addressed and fixed. Then you would have a better shot at a reliable solid unit for probably less than 100k. Not to say the newer DRV may not be as reliable, I just don't have enough info.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

If I was going the DRV route I'd also buy a mid 2000 series and then renovate it completely. The issue is they did not build the larger units in that time frame...but if you are up for a renovation that is what I'd do, if I could find the basic model I liked.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

My 2016 36RSSB# had a MSRP of 134K. I paid a little under 96K...thought that was a dogone good deal for all that I got with it, including IS and Disc brakes to name only 2 of many features it came with plus what we added...Fulltimers 5er is what we wanted, and felt like we got it.

2016 DRV MS36RSSB3
2016 Ram 3500 DRW/CC/LB/4X4/Aisin/4.10 Longhorn, rear air assist suspension
B&W OEM RVK3600 Companion hitch

My 2016 36RSSB# had a MSRP of 134K. I paid a little under 96K...thought that was a dogone good deal for all that I got with it, including IS and Disc brakes to name only 2 of many features it came with plus what we added...Fulltimers 5er is what we wanted, and felt like we got it.

Congratulations!

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

I will concur that the FEMA trailers were built pretty much like you stated, but they were built for 1 purpose and that was emergency housing. Not to be moved around, or lived in permanently. I am on construction sites regularly. The only cooper I see is on gas lines, and much of that is changing to flex tubing as well.

Many homes have 14 gauge wiring. Most bedrooms have 3 outlets on a 15amp breaker. Most overhead lights are on a 15amp as well. Only a custom built home will have 12ga as standard and then only if the customer asks for it.

This topic relates to another one posted today about the demise the RV quality.

Much of the standard used for wiring is determined by the National Electrical Code. It is extensive and has minimum standards for all things electrical. The determining factor for the use of 14AWG or 12AWG wiring is determined by then load it services. 14AWG is used when the max load is 15Amps and 12AWG when the max load is 20Amps. Of course, the 14 can be replaced with 12 and still function on a 15Amp circuit with a larger safety factor, but typically since cost rises with more than minimum wiring, OEMs stay with the minimum.

RVs are NOT subject to the same NEC requirements as stick built homes, of course, there is plenty of overlap as safety is the first requirement. But each type of construction uses specific codes for their application.

Marcel

We are beginning our search for a fiver for full-timing. Mobile Suites seems to constantly rank as one of the top brands on the forums. We are trying to balance the desire for a newer model with getting one with the best build quality. All I hear these days when it comes to RV construction is "they don't make 'em like they used to". So what years would be considered the peak of quality for DRV? What are some of the build quality aspects that are now absent in newer models? Thanks.

I sent you a PM by email to consider a DRV SS I have for sale. 2010 36RESB. You tube has a couple videos that show that model well.

Marcel

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, congratulations on your good fortune....We've received our 2017 Houston and the manufacturing assembly has many defects both exterior and interior. If there is a Quality Inspector at the factory he was out to lunch for our trailer.

Planning Nanook version 2.0

Nanook "When we made ready to depart, after a few days, Nanook was beside himself with joy. Hudson Stuck

Our friends had a DRV that they bought new. They celebrated the day they traded it. Lots of problems. Water leaks, the fresh water tank was never secured and the kitchen sink fell into the cabinet below. That was just the start. Many more problems after that. I pitty the person that ends up with that 5er. I know how some of the things were fixed and it is only a matter of time before major trouble. I had heard some good things about DRV but I didn't see it.

X2..Had a 2007 DRV and would never again buy a DRV

X2..Had a 2007 DRV and would never again buy a DRV

Wow, I live fulltime in my '07 and have for the last 6 years. No complaints worth mentioning. My sink also fell into the cabinet. If I drug my S&B around behind my truck with a sink full of stuff packed in it, I bet it would fall out too. I scrapped off the old goo, re-goo'ed it and even made a small frame to help hold it up. Wasn't that big of a deal....certainly not enough to complain about.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Wow, I live fulltime in my '07 and have for the last 6 years. No complaints worth mentioning. My sink also fell into the cabinet. If I drug my S&B around behind my truck with a sink full of stuff packed in it, I bet it would fall out too. I scrapped off the old goo, re-goo'ed it and even made a small frame to help hold it up. Wasn't that big of a deal....certainly not enough to complain about.

Glad you found a good one,we had trouble with the slides and a leaking front cap.....I would never buy another.

My rear cap leaked once from a screw breaking. Screwed it back down, eterbonded it, no more problem there. Eterbond is some wonderful stuff. We never had any slide problems. My biggest grip was having to stuff insulation under kitchen slide to prevent draft. That was ridiculous for a high end unit. It was drafty also. Never a frame or slide problem though. The chassis is what led me to a DRV. Glad I replaced it with this Teton though.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

This conversation is why I went with a New Horizons. I pick it up Tuesday and hope all I hear pans out well.

2002 Beaver Marquis Emerald   C-12 Cat 505 HP

2014 Volvo 630 D-13 I Shift SOLD

2017 New Horizons SOLD

This conversation is why I went with a New Horizons. I pick it up Tuesday and hope all I hear pans out well.

Even New Horizon has issues. I know a gent who was talking about sueing them over his warranty issues.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

I honestly never seen one but this is first negative comment I have seen. My Teton is the best trouble free unit I have ever heard of. Had to replace a few things but it is 14 years old.

I honestly never seen one but this is first negative comment I have seen. My Teton is the best trouble free unit I have ever heard of. Had to replace a few things but it is 14 years old.

That is because some other poor soul fixed everything before you bought the unit.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

Archived