Owning A HDT Can Be Hazardous To Your Health

RandyA

Don't take the fast way down. B)

post-12482-0-73720500-1465954080_thumb.jpg

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

Good grief, Randy, you've got to take better care of yourself. You are not totally indestructable, you know. I am sorry to hear of your misfortune and hope you will heal quickly. I'm sure Nancy and Oscar will take good care of you and we will keep you in our prayers for a rapid and complete recovery. Be safe.........too late, I guess ?? Charlie

Don't ever tell a soldier that he doesn't understand the cost of war.

Randy, It seems that almost every time I've seen your picture lately you have had a new bandage. Please try to avoid these big band aids! Hope you get better quick. It looks like this will affect you summer RV sch. Still hope to see you and Nancy sometime this summer. Or Fall. Not you, the season. Pat

The Old Sailor

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. Hope you have a speedy recovery.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Sorry for your misfortune. Looks like you can still drive since it is your left arm.

photo is a selfie. alas, it is the right arm. HDT bed makes a good platform to reach fiver cap. Not a good idea to stand on a step-stool for more reach as they have legs that break. at 6 feet up it is a rather abrupt stop at the bottom. surgery is in a few hours to install plate and screws. both bones broken at the wrist. Roger, let's not continue the contest. working in my head on new invention to shift but cant use needed tools to make it right now. I am thinking two push-pull actuators - one air other electric with stepper control to pause in right neutral gate position. maybe all in a box topside bolted to floor around shifter. push button controls. yes, Pat, too old to still be skydiving - need to slack off.

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

Gosh Randy get well soon.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Bummer dude.

My wife, several years ago got out of the truck onto the first step. Missed the second step, fell down and rolled down a small hill. Just sat there laughing for a while. Scared the **** out of me. But at least she was okay.

Rumor has it there was an engineer in an operating room in Florida yesterday that made some design improvements on a knee replacement that resulted in some leftover parts. Seeing how he wants them to have a second chance (or to "rise again"), he'll need the address to send them to you. No, they're not arm parts, but he assures me that with a big enough hammer and some four-letter words they can be made to work. ;)

Randy--Get well soon, and keep the wheels turning.

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

I had the luxury of plates and screws in both wrists at the same time. It took a week for the swelling to go down enuf for surgery on the 8th day. Volnar plates and 8 screws in the rt and 6 screws in the left. Flexor tendon on rt thumb ruptured due to rubbing on the plate in the carpel tunnel area...I think that's what it's called. Failed surgery to join tendon now have thumb tip fused and screwed 4 wks ago.

When you get cast of in a few weeks, that won't be the end of it. More physio and your eyes will water and you will sweat when they crank on your wrist.

Flexion, extension and pulling hand.

My brother videoed Physio doing treatment, Yours for the asking.

If it was the wrist, I know exactly what it is like. Post the results of the surgery or e-mail me.

I really hope it turns out well.

All the best

Roger

Any gory pics??

On edit, Get elastic shoe laces or shoes with velcro. You won't be tying shoe laces for a while. Also a long handled shoe horn.

• 2 weeks later...

Went to the Doc today. Got the cast off only 2 weeks out from surgery. Now have a removable splint. Was surprised to see a 4" incision on the inside of my arm neatly glued together - no stitches! Now forbidden from sky diving, driving nails with a hammer, doing push-ups or boxing. But, I have permission to drive the Volvo so all is good. Plate and screws (darkest area in X-ray photo) will be with me for the rest of my life.

plate2.jpg

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

Randy,

Glad to see that you are healing.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

Flexor tendon on rt thumb ruptured due to rubbing on the plate in the carpel tunnel area...I think that's what it's called. Failed surgery to join tendon now have thumb tip fused and screwed 4 wks ago.

The thumb is numb and has been since surgery. Doc said it was because nerve bundle had to be moved out of the way during surgery. Tendons seem OK,

When you get cast of in a few weeks, that won't be the end of it. More physio and your eyes will water and you will sweat when they crank on your wrist.

Flexion, extension and pulling hand.

I went straight to physio after getting cast off. It hurt so bad last night getting to sleep was difficult. Still sore this AM.

My brother videoed Physio doing treatment, Yours for the asking.

Think I will pass. But thanks for the offer!

Any (more) gory pics??

Not really gory, but the 4" incision to put the plate in that was super glued closed. No stitches!

incision.jpg

I appreciate all the well wishes. Injuries are nothing to brag on, but sharing may keep someone from trying the same and joining the club. Like they say, "Don't try this at home" (or anywhere else for that matter.) It really hurt hearing about all the injury stories from other HDT folks when I shared about crushing my finger last fall. Roger and I are obviously not alone in this game. I am thinking of starting a line of bubble wrap clothing made from Kevlar this fall. :rolleyes:

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

Archived